Should we pray the imprecatory psalms?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked this question of our pastor who teaches bible study and he said no, yet they're in the Bible. At one time or another I'm sure we've all felt what David did. Are we to not pray them and just silently wait for God to administer justice - or should we actively entreat God to bring justice on evil individuals? This is something to consider as our country and world grow ever darker.

I'd like to know others' thoughts on this.

Reactions: Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I asked this question of our pastor who teaches bible study and he said no, yet they're in the Bible. At one time or another I'm sure we've all felt what David did. Are we to not pray them and just silently wait for God to administer justice - or should we actively entreat God to bring justice on evil individuals? This is something to consider as our country and world grow ever darker.

Read them carefully, see the pain and hurt that David, felt, was experiencing, see how he uses violent language to help him deal with his feelings.

If one is suffering then those psalms can be apropriate.

My personal opinion is rather than rely on 2nd hand experiences, if one is suffering simple tell God ALL about it.
Don't be afraid to unleash raw emotions.

God wants us to be honest with him and not to use fake evangelical smiles to hide behind.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I've found myself praying Psalms, I've seen God's power work. It's wild and unexpected each time. So I can't say whether we should or shouldn't, only that, at times, I've realized I'm praying in the Spirit the Psalm I'm reading, with power. And one time it was to the keeping of an enemy from me, it was God's will.

I don't set out to pray Psalms. Only that sometimes I'll be reading one, and, God wants to work.

Probably no help at all? But all the Bible is there for us. All Scripture . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read them carefully, see the pain and hurt that David, felt, was experiencing, see how he uses violent language to help him deal with his feelings.

My personal opinion is rather than rely on 2nd hand experiences, if one is suffering simple tell God ALL about it.

God wants us to be honest with him and not to use fake evangelical smiles to hide behind.
Hi Windmillcharge,

I think the Psalms put God's language on our emotions so we can be renewed according to Him.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We cannot use the Logos willy-nilly; it must first become a Rhema.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can all pray. "Your kingdom come, Your will be done." And pray that righteousness will prevail.
My wife and I have always enjoyed Malachi's words:

Malachi 4
2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

Dancing and prancing on the ashes of the wicked. We console ourselves with this.

We aren't saying we rejoice of the destruction of people, to we most certainly rejoice in the end of oppression and unrighteousness!

Much love!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Windmillcharge,

I think the Psalms put God's language on our emotions so we can be renewed according to Him.

Much love!

I would be careful chosing the psalm to use. Not everyone has a detailed knowledge of the psalms, which is why I suggest telling God what is wrong.

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My wife and I have always enjoyed Malachi's words:

Malachi 4
2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

Dancing and prancing on the ashes of the wicked. We console ourselves with this.

We aren't saying we rejoice of the destruction of people, to we most certainly rejoice in the end of oppression and unrighteousness!

Much love!
Malachi is very searching and relevant in times of apostasy as we remember that God looks upon His remnant. (Even though I don't see the church in view in Malachi, it certainly has strong applications.)

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am very raw with God. You mentioned one of my husband's pet peeves - hiding behind evangelical smiles.

I wondered why there seems to be confusion - some pastors believe David's words and calls for justice to be too strong. Yet don't the evil actions of others sometimes call for this? Look at the mess that has been made of our country - shouldn't we pray these imprecatory psalms for God's Hand of Judgement to fall on them? There seems to be competing verses - Psalms where God's justice is prayed for and Romans where we're to pray for wrongdoers. How do others synthesize this?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I've found myself praying Psalms, I've seen God's power work. It's wild and unexpected each time. So I can't say whether we should or shouldn't, only that, at times, I've realized I'm praying in the Spirit the Psalm I'm reading, with power. And one time it was to the keeping of an enemy from me, it was God's will.

I don't set out to pray Psalms. Only that sometimes I'll be reading one, and, God wants to work.

Probably no help at all? But all the Bible is there for us. All Scripture . . .

Much love!

That's encouraging. I've had times where I was reading the Bible and felt a "quickening" in my Spirit - and I knew God was doing something.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am very raw with God. You mentioned one of my husband's pet peeves - hiding behind evangelical smiles.

I wondered why there seems to be confusion - some pastors believe David's words and calls for justice to be too strong. Yet don't the evil actions of others sometimes call for this? Look at the mess that has been made of our country - shouldn't we pray these imprecatory psalms for God's Hand of Judgement to fall on them? There seems to be competing verses - Psalms where God's justice is prayed for and Romans where we're to pray for wrongdoers. How do others synthesize this?

We have two threads running through us.
The need for justice to be seen to be done and the requirement that we forgive as we have been forgiven.

The two will always be sepparete where a countries laws are involved.
It doesn't matter how much we forgive a theif, the state will proscute him.

We can quite justly pray for vengence upon say those who organised the 9/11 attacks, while equilly praying for the forgiveness of individuals capable of being forgiven.

One thing is sure just because we pray a psalm that calls for offenders childrens brains to be dashed out etc etc, God is not going to do that just because we prayed that prayer.

Far better that we tell God about our deepest feelings and hursts, committing the people, situation, emotions, everything and let him deal with it. While doing this we should also pray for the welbeing of the offenders.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what that means?

Have you ever been reading the Word and all of a sudden a verse comes alive, as if God is speaking straight to you, and you are filled with faith? Like it is a message for you? Anyway, that is when the Logos you are reading becomes a specific message to you from God, a Rhema.

Here are a few verses with the word, "word," in them that isn't Logos, but Rhema. The specific spoken word.

John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (This doesn't mean your carnal wishes, but what you just heard. In other words, you repeat the words spoken to you.)

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. (One of the 9 gifts of the Spirit is faith. Not the measure of faith God gives everyone in order to accept or reject Jesus, but supernatural faith to move mountains.)

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever been reading the Word and all of a sudden a verse comes alive, as if God is speaking straight to you, and you are filled with faith? Like it is a message for you? Anyway, that is when the Logos you are reading becomes a specific message to you from God, a Rhema.

Here are a few verses with the word, "word," in them that isn't Logos, but Rhema. The specific spoken word.

John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (This doesn't mean your carnal wishes, but what you just heard. In other words, you repeat the words spoken to you.)

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. (One of the 9 gifts of the Spirit is faith. Not the measure of faith God gives everyone in order to accept or reject Jesus, but supernatural faith to move mountains.)

Yes I have had that - and quite a burst of faith following it. But then it fades.

That's interesting - I've never heard that before.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing is sure just because we pray a psalm that calls for offenders childrens brains to be dashed out etc etc, God is not going to do that just because we prayed that prayer.
I think that particular Psalm was about an evil that is almost incomprehensible. Notice that it's about Babylon, a problem that remains and remains and remains. It may not be over until John's prophecy in Revelation is completely fulfilled.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At one time or another I'm sure we've all felt what David did.
David was writing under the direction of the Holy Spirit, and we are reminded many times in the New Testament that it was the Holy Spirit speaking through David. Indeed the third major division of the Hebrew Tanakh is called *Psalms* (or Writings), which has 11 books, and begins with the book of Psalms.

So while we are to forgive our personal enemies. we can certainly pray against evil spirits and evildoers -- that God will bring judgment upon them.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I have had that - and quite a burst of faith following it. But then it fades.

That's interesting - I've never heard that before.

Why does it fade? Do you start doubting the verse was a message to you? Well, now you don't have to. Now, you know it WAS from God to YOU.

B

brakelite

Oh God!! Please rain down fire on my enemies!
Or...
Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do.
KJV Matthew 5
Love Your Enemies
38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

Reactions: friend of