SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
You obviously don't get what is written in John 21:25? The Bible contains ALL we need, NOT everything ever.
Stan,

I'm not addressing this specifically to what you have said. I've been reading through this thread and have become distressed by what is being advocated or tolerated.

This existential experiencing of the Holy Spirit on the floor and 'in the Spirit' seems to be avoiding this biblical emphasis: 'But all thinks should be done decently and in order' (1 Cor 14:40 ESV).

I've written about what I experienced in a house church.

What I experienced was not of God but of an emotional, existential 'high', but all in the name of a charismatic house church. I'll never ever attend such a group again. It clearly violated 1 Cor 14:40 and 1 Cor 14:11.

Oz

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
Stan,

I'm not addressing this specifically to what you have said. I've been reading through this thread and have become distressed by what is being advocated or tolerated.

This existential experiencing of the Holy Spirit on the floor and 'in the Spirit' seems to be avoiding this biblical emphasis: 'But all thinks should be done decently and in order' (1 Cor 14:40 ESV).

I've written about what I experienced in a house church.

What I experienced was not of God but of an emotional, existential 'high', but all in the name of a charismatic house church. I'll never ever attend such a group again. It clearly violated 1 Cor 14:40 and 1 Cor 14:11.

Oz
I agree Oz, which is why I mentioned it earlier about Paul dealing with things OUT of order in 1 Cor 14. Unless one has been in a setting where the Holy Spirit is working in DIFFERENT ways, it cannot be viewed by an outsider as orderly, especially if they won't recognize that the Holy Spirit does not display any outward signs in our lives.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
I agree Oz, which is why I mentioned it earlier about Paul dealing with things OUT of order in 1 Cor 14. Unless one has been in a setting where the Holy Spirit is working in DIFFERENT ways, it cannot be viewed by an outsider as orderly, especially if they won't recognize that the Holy Spirit does not display any outward signs in our lives.
However, in 1 Cor 14 Paul is dealing with disorder in the Christian Corinthian congregation where there was tongues without interpretation/revelation (1 Cor 14:6-11) and he calls on this chaos to cease and get back to doing things decently and being in order (1 Cor 14:40).

I'm of the view that what has happened at Toronto, Pensacola and other related charismatic chaos, has contravened 1 Cor 14:40 and 1 Cor 14:11. I'm a 'foreigner' when I go into such meetings and that must stop, according to 1 Cor 14 teaching.

Oz

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
However, in 1 Cor 14 Paul is dealing with disorder in the Christian Corinthian congregation where there was tongues without interpretation/revelation (1 Cor 14:6-11) and he calls on this chaos to cease and get back to doing things decently and being in order (1 Cor 14:40).

I'm of the view that what has happened at Toronto, Pensacola and other related charismatic chaos, has contravened 1 Cor 14;40 and 1 Cor 14:11. I'm a 'foreigner' when I go into such meetings and that must stop, according to 1 Cor 14 teaching.

Oz
Yes, I agree, but the principle is still there...order. I don't believe this was ever an issue in the early church, so not dealt with. I also agree that places like Toronto etc.... are NOT ORDER as I see it in the NT. As a Pentecostal, I have NEVER been involved in these type of services, but I know there are movements like this that are NOT kosher. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
StanJ said:
I wouldn't worry about Barrd's opinion. She does NOT know the Bible as she likes to think she does. Your personal experience was very likely a real one caused by the Holy Spirit over flowing your spirit. Barrd has a very real bias against Pentecostals.
I have the distinct feeling, Stan, that you are calling me a liar. Your insulting insinuations are getting rather tiring.

I think you may have forgotten Ananias and Sapphira....lying to the Holy Spirit is really not a real great idea.

Seriously, I would appreciate it very much if you would keep my name out of your mouth. Thank you.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
None of this stuff is in the Bible. None of it. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nada bit of it.

If you're involved in it, you are involved in something that God did not put into place. I'm pretty convinced that most of it is fake....some of it is an emotional high, or "mass hysteria"...

What worries me is those who are quite sure that the experience is "real". I very strongly suspect that there really is a spirit causing these manifestations in some gullible people....but that spirit is anything but holy.

The Holy Spirit would not ever call attention to Himself....He is all about Jesus, as all of us ought also to be...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:

I'm of the view that what has happened at Toronto, Pensacola and other related charismatic chaos, has contravened 1 Cor 14:40 and 1 Cor 14:11. I'm a 'foreigner' when I go into such meetings and that must stop, according to 1 Cor 14 teaching.

Oz
I live about an hour out of Pensacola, near the FL border.
I'm surrounded by the "charismatic movement".
Most of it is so obviously fake that it would almost be funny, if it weren't so sad. I mean, I've seen some pretty outrageous things.
I was there when a fat lady fell backwards and the "catchers" dropped her. She needed six stitches in the back of her head.
I could tell you so many such tales...but I've also seen some really scary, freaky stuff....like you might see in a spooky movie, just before the demon/ghost/vampire comes out...bad times.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I have the distinct feeling, Stan, that you are calling me a liar. Your insulting insinuations are getting rather tiring.

I think you may have forgotten Ananias and Sapphira....lying to the Holy Spirit is really not a real great idea.

Seriously, I would appreciate it very much if you would keep my name out of your mouth. Thank you.
Not at all....you just like presenting exceptions as the norm, which they are not.

Yes you're absolutely right, lying to the Holy Spirit is NOT a good idea, as Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the ONLY unforgivable sin.

Then stop putting down other peoples experiences by saying you KNOW the Bible, when based on my discussions you obviously don't.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
None of this stuff is in the Bible. None of it. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nada bit of it.

If you're involved in it, you are involved in something that God did not put into place. I'm pretty convinced that most of it is fake....some of it is an emotional high, or "mass hysteria"...

What worries me is those who are quite sure that the experience is "real". I very strongly suspect that there really is a spirit causing these manifestations in some gullible people....but that spirit is anything but holy.

The Holy Spirit would not ever call attention to Himself....He is all about Jesus, as all of us ought also to be...
Many things are NOT in the Bible, doesn't mean they don't exist. One of them is Hamlet (1.5.167-8)

Says the one never involved in it.

So you're worried about the reality of someone else's experience in the Holy Spirit? Why would that be? Obviously you have not had the pleasure.

I guess it depends what you mean by calling attention to Himself. Do you think when Jesus healed or raised the dead he did NOT call attention to Himself?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
I live about an hour out of Pensacola, near the FL border.
I'm surrounded by the "charismatic movement".
Most of it is so obviously fake that it would almost be funny, if it weren't so sad. I mean, I've seen some pretty outrageous things.
I was there when a fat lady fell backwards and the "catchers" dropped her. She needed six stitches in the back of her head.
I could tell you so many such tales...but I've also seen some really scary, freaky stuff....like you might see in a spooky movie, just before the demon/ghost/vampire comes out...bad times.
The Barrd,

I'm a former Assemblies of God pastor and Bible College teacher. I'm 'former' because I could no longer tolerate the excesses and extremes in the movement. However, there are supernaturally genuine manifestations among the fake. Or should I say that among the genuine you will find the false.

This doesn't only apply to the supernatural gifts of the Spirit. You'll find it with the gospel proclaimed and teaching in churches. Ever walked off the street into any one of these churches in your country: Episcopalian, Presbyterian Church of USA, American Baptist, United Methodist, Lutheran Church of America, etc (I lived for 7 years in the USA and Canada). You can be fed a diet of the false when there should be the genuine.

Scripture warns us about how this happens in 2 Peter 2:1 (ESV), 'But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies'.

It happens with false gospels, false Christs, false teaching and fake manufacturing of the supernatural.

These are but a few examples that I have written about these supernatural phenomena over recent years:

1. Famed heart doctor tells the dramatic story of how a patient of his was ‘raised from the dead’ after prayer

2.Is the gift of tongues an example of babbling to God?

3. St. Augustine: The leading Church Father who dared to change his mind about divine healing

4. Augustine’s last illness: A divine healing encounter

5. What Presbyterians can learn from Pentecostals!

6. Does the superiority of New Testament revelation exclude the continuation of the gifts of the Spirit? Is cessationism biblical?

7. Are miracles valuable?

8. Should God heal all Christians who pray for healing?

Sincerely in Christ,
Oz

Reactions: StanJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

I'm a former Assemblies of God pastor and Bible College teacher. I'm 'former' because I could no longer tolerate the excesses and extremes in the movement. However, there are supernaturally genuine manifestations among the fake. Or should I say that among the genuine you will find the false.

This doesn't only apply to the supernatural gifts of the Spirit. You'll find it with the gospel proclaimed and teaching in churches. Ever walked off the street into any one of these churches in your country: Episcopalian, Presbyterian Church of USA, American Baptist, United Methodist, Lutheran Church of America, etc (I lived for 7 years in the USA and Canada). You can be fed a diet of the false when there should be the genuine.

Scripture warns us about how this happens in 2 Peter 2:1 (ESV), 'But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies'.

It happens with false gospels, false Christs, false teaching and fake manufacturing of the supernatural.

These are but a few examples that I have written about these supernatural phenomena over recent years:

1. Famed heart doctor tells the dramatic story of how a patient of his was ‘raised from the dead’ after prayer

2.Is the gift of tongues an example of babbling to God?

3. St. Augustine: The leading Church Father who dared to change his mind about divine healing

4. Augustine’s last illness: A divine healing encounter

5. What Presbyterians can learn from Pentecostals!

6. Does the superiority of New Testament revelation exclude the continuation of the gifts of the Spirit? Is cessationism biblical?

7. Are miracles valuable?

8. Should God heal all Christians who pray for healing?

Sincerely in Christ,
Oz
Oz,
First of all, let me assure you that I am not a cessationist.
Not only do I believe in miracles, I, myself, am alive today because of a miracle.

And yes, I have been inside almost all of those churches here in the U.S. It has been well said that sitting in a pew doesn't make one a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes one an automobile....

And again, I live in the middle of the "charismatic movement". The fake is just annoying, and it is sad that so many gullible people fall for it. Everyone wants to be thought of as "spiritual", and if the Holy Spirit is going to fall on this church, they figure that it's going to fall on them, too...and if not, well they will just fake it till He gets around to it. And if He never gets around to it....well, no one will know.

What is terrifying, to me at least, are those who are having real manifestations.
Now, I do know one gal who actually did speak in a real tongue...a language she had never even known existed. She was a volunteer for the help line, and was talking to a lady, when, without realizing it, she began speaking in this new language. The woman on the other end began to cry...it turned out that my friend had been speaking in a very little known Hawaiian dialect that the woman on the phone had not heard since she had been a little girl...her grandmother had spoken it. It was the assurance and the comfort that she needed.
Now, what is odd about this is that this girl believes exactly as I do...she also thinks...and still thinks...that the charismatic movement is a load of donkey doo doo...

I've actually seen people...ordinary folks, even folks you'd consider to be "nice" people...but under the influence of their spirit, they become something else...something not so very nice. One lady...a pastor's wife...stood up in the church after her husband had given the altar call, and began to speak in tongues. I was there because my daughter had wanted me to visit this church with her, and my feelings are quite well-known, as you might have guessed. Anyhow, this lady started out as usual...but then she began to change. She became more and more angry, her face reddening, her expression changing, her voice getting deeper and louder....before long she was screaming in rage, her face purple, her eyes almost glowing with it, spittle spraying the people in the front rows... Her husband also became worried about what was going on and attempted to calm her, but she was having none of it. Eventually, he carried her out of the building and his associate pastor took over. I understand that later she was to be confused by what had happened, asserting that she did not know what came over her. Stuff like this does make me wonder just what spirit it is that is possessing these people?

I mean, think about it....Christians meekly lining up at an altar to be "slain"? Does this even sound like something God would want? Or do you get a slight whiff of brimstone?
A roomful of Christians behaving like farm animals, including a pastor who cannot read from his Bible because every time he opens his mouth he crows like a rooster? Do you honestly believe God is causing this....or do you hear just a hint of demonic laughter?

Do you not realize that, for every miracle of God, Satan has a counterfeit? For every truth, Satan substitutes a lie. Isn't this why we are told to test the spirits to see if they be from God?

What little genuine there might be, it is, unfortunately, overshadowed by the fake. It can be hard to see any light when the darkness is working so hard to obliterate it...

EDIT:
Oh, and let me add, Oz, that I am proud to know another one who has left the charismatic movement for this reason.
I am glad to know that you are an honest man.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
Oz,
First of all, let me assure you that I am not a cessationist.
Not only do I believe in miracles, I, myself, am alive today because of a miracle.

And yes, I have been inside almost all of those churches here in the U.S. It has been well said that sitting in a pew doesn't make one a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes one an automobile....

And again, I live in the middle of the "charismatic movement". The fake is just annoying, and it is sad that so many gullible people fall for it. Everyone wants to be thought of as "spiritual", and if the Holy Spirit is going to fall on this church, they figure that it's going to fall on them, too...and if not, well they will just fake it till He gets around to it. And if He never gets around to it....well, no one will know.

What is terrifying, to me at least, are those who are having real manifestations.
Now, I do know one gal who actually did speak in a real tongue...a language she had never even known existed. She was a volunteer for the help line, and was talking to a lady, when, without realizing it, she began speaking in this new language. The woman on the other end began to cry...it turned out that my friend had been speaking in a very little known Hawaiian dialect that the woman on the phone had not heard since she had been a little girl...her grandmother had spoken it. It was the assurance and the comfort that she needed.
Now, what is odd about this is that this girl believes exactly as I do...she also thinks...and still thinks...that the charismatic movement is a load of donkey doo doo...

I've actually seen people...ordinary folks, even folks you'd consider to be "nice" people...but under the influence of their spirit, they become something else...something not so very nice. One lady...a pastor's wife...stood up in the church after her husband had given the altar call, and began to speak in tongues. I was there because my daughter had wanted me to visit this church with her, and my feelings are quite well-known, as you might have guessed. Anyhow, this lady started out as usual...but then she began to change. She became more and more angry, her face reddening, her expression changing, her voice getting deeper and louder....before long she was screaming in rage, her face purple, her eyes almost glowing with it, spittle spraying the people in the front rows... Her husband also became worried about what was going on and attempted to calm her, but she was having none of it. Eventually, he carried her out of the building and his associate pastor took over. I understand that later she was to be confused by what had happened, asserting that she did not know what came over her. Stuff like this does make me wonder just what spirit it is that is possessing these people?

I mean, think about it....Christians meekly lining up at an altar to be "slain"? Does this even sound like something God would want? Or do you get a slight whiff of brimstone?
A roomful of Christians behaving like farm animals, including a pastor who cannot read from his Bible because every time he opens his mouth he crows like a rooster? Do you honestly believe God is causing this....or do you hear just a hint of demonic laughter?

Do you not realize that, for every miracle of God, Satan has a counterfeit? For every truth, Satan substitutes a lie. Isn't this why we are told to test the spirits to see if they be from God?

What little genuine there might be, it is, unfortunately, overshadowed by the fake. It can be hard to see any light when the darkness is working so hard to obliterate it...

EDIT:
Oh, and let me add, Oz, that I am proud to know another one who has left the charismatic movement for this reason.
I am glad to know that you are an honest man.
The Barrd,

It is with great sadness that I see that you have been exposed to some terrible extremism in the Pentecostal-charismatic movement. However, you and I need to be warned of these biblical emphases:

• 1 Cor 14:39 (NIV), 'Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues'.

• 1 Thess 5:19-22 (NIV), 'Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil'.
I have to admit that in my 30-year association with Pentecostals I saw very little teaching on this testing the spirits' ministry. It would have been biblical to hear a pastor say, after a manifestation, 'Let's stop to do what the Scriptures tell us to do: We must test the spirit of theat manifestation. Was it of God or not?' I don't recall anyone ever taking that approach.

All of us have to be aware of the danger of committing a hasty generalization logical fallacy.

However, the application is broader than Pentecostalism:
  • 1 John 4:1 (NIV), 'Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world'.
In my years of interacting on Christian forums, I have found that this is where the wisdom of 1 John 4:1 (NIV) needs to be applied. There is a drove of false teaching on such forums that needs to be tested and corrected. I participated for a very short time on a forum where they did not want to correct false doctrine because that would not be promoting grace and redemption. As a result Pentecostal Oneness, Jesus Only false teaching was allowed, without correction. When I pointed this out, I was accused of being a legalist. Do you remember one of the characters in John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, 'Valiant-for-truth'? That's who I was when pointing out the error of Pentecostal Oneness. But that topic is for another time and place.

However, the issue I'm raising is that testing the spirits relates to the core of Christianity. Until Jesus returns, that task will be our constant challenge.

In Christ,
Oz

Reactions: StanJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

It is with great sadness that I see that you have been exposed to some terrible extremism in the Pentecostal-charismatic movement. However, you and I need to be warned of these biblical emphases:

• 1 Cor 14:39 (NIV), 'Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues'.

• 1 Thess 5:19-22 (NIV), 'Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil'.
I have to admit that in my 30-year association with Pentecostals I saw very little teaching on this testing the spirits' ministry. It would have been biblical to hear a pastor say, after a manifestation, 'Let's stop to do what the Scriptures tell us to do: We must test the spirit of theat manifestation. Was it of God or not?' I don't recall anyone ever taking that approach.

All of us have to be aware of the danger of committing a hasty generalization logical fallacy.

However, the application is broader than Pentecostalism:
  • 1 John 4:1 (NIV), 'Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world'.
In my years of interacting on Christian forums, I have found that this is where the wisdom of 1 John 4:1 (NIV) needs to be applied. There is a drove of false teaching on such forums that needs to be tested and corrected. I participated for a very short time on a forum where they did not want to correct false doctrine because that would not be promoting grace and redemption. As a result Pentecostal Oneness, Jesus Only false teaching was allowed, without correction. When I pointed this out, I was accused of being a legalist. Do you remember one of the characters in John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, 'Valiant-for-truth'? That's who I was when pointing out the error of Pentecostal Oneness. But that topic is for another time and place.

However, the issue I'm raising is that testing the spirits relates to the core of Christianity. Until Jesus returns, that task will be our constant challenge.

In Christ,
Oz
Oz,

Again, my friend, I live in the middle of it. If what I am seeing is, as you say, "terrible extremism", it could be because this is a terribly extreme movement. What I've written about here is just the tip of the iceberg. One of my grandson's friends came to me, crying because he thought he was going to hell for his "sin". It seems that his church, with his parents' permission and cooperation, had locked him in a darkened room with no food or water or bathroom privileges...they came in every hour or so to "lay hands on him" and pray over him, until he should "receive the Holy Spirit. After nearly three days of this, the kid crumbled, and began to fake tongues, and sure enough, they let him out. He had obviously been "baptized with the Holy Spirit"... Now, that is probably the most terribly extreme thing I've heard of...but this is the kind of thing that disgusts me.
And if you think you are sad about it, how do you think I feel? What am I supposed to say to this kid? I told him that he had not sinned...but after that, I really didn't know what else to say.

Before I look at any of the verses you posted, I'd like to post one of my own.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Keeping that in mind, let's look at your verses:
Now, I don't have anything against the NIV, but what I have downloaded on my machine is the KJV.
What, exactly, are "tongues"? Are they just gibberish, or are they actually languages?
We first see them in Acts 2.

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance

And they seem to have drawn a crowd.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

These guys were not speaking in some unknown "prayer tongue" or in "angel tongues"...they, like my friend on the help line, were speaking in actual human languages that people could hear and understand. (Perhaps they were speaking in the original human language that existed before Babel? A possibility to consider, yeah?)
What is for sure is that they were definitely not babbling gibberish, as we see so often in the charismatic moveme

That having been cleared up, I would agree with Paul in 1 Cor 14:

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Putting your verse in this context does make a difference, yeah?

As you say, we never hear anyone talking about testing the spirit behind these manifestations. Golly, gee...I wonder why that is?

Oh, and you forgot my favorite of these exhortations:

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Don't hear much of that one any more either....
It isn't exactly "politically correct".

And I see you have discovered for yourself...those false spirits do not like you coming along and trying to roust them from their hiding places.
I'm afraid that, until Jesus comes back, ol' "Valiant for Truth" is just not going to be a very popular fella...

The Barrd

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd,

You seem to have confused two different manifestations of the Holy Spirit.

1. In Acts 2, this is a unique once only initial falling of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost when there were actual languages spoken.

2. However, in 1 Cor 14, we are dealing with the gifts of the Spirit where the gift of tongues (1 Cor 14:6-8) requires the gift of intelligibility (1 Cor 14:9-12), which is the gift of interpretation (1 Cor 14:13). Please note that the gift of tongues in 1 Cor 14 does NOT require the gift of translation (which an actual foreign language would require for us English speakers), but the gift of interpretation, which is a supernatural manifestation from God as one of the gifts of the Spirit.

I have found that there is a lot of poor teaching among Pentecostal-charismatics concerning the gifts of the Spirit. This influenced one of my former colleagues, Aeron Morgan, as the former principal of the AoG Bible College in Australia, Commonwealth Bible College (where I taught), to write his book, The Biblical Testing of Teachings and Manifestations (Morgan 2005).

Oz

Works consulted
Morgan, A 2005. The Biblical Testing of Teachings and Manifestations. Spring Lake, MI: Dust & Ashes Publications.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

You seem to have confused two different manifestations of the Holy Spirit.

1. In Acts 2, this is a unique once only initial falling of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost when there were actual languages spoken.

2. However, in 1 Cor 14, we are dealing with the gifts of the Spirit where the gift of tongues (1 Cor 14:6-8) requires the gift of intelligibility (1 Cor 14:9-12), which is the gift of interpretation (1 Cor 14:13). Please note that the gift of tongues in 1 Cor 14 does NOT require the gift of translation (which an actual foreign language would require for us English speakers), but the gift of interpretation, which is a supernatural manifestation from God as one of the gifts of the Spirit.

I have found that there is a lot of poor teaching among Pentecostal-charismatics concerning the gifts of the Spirit. This influenced one of my former colleagues, Aeron Morgan, as the former principal of the AoG Bible College in Australia, Commonwealth Bible College (where I taught), to write his book, The Biblical Testing of Teachings and Manifestations (Morgan 2005).

Oz

Works consulted
Morgan, A 2005. The Biblical Testing of Teachings and Manifestations. Spring Lake, MI: Dust & Ashes Publications.
I don't think I can agree with you on this, Oz.
I know from working with lawyers that when we must deal with someone who does not speak English, we look for an interpreter.

Here is a link you might want to take a peek at:
(there are others)

https://www.alsintl.com/blog/translate-vs-interpret/

Translate the Written Word
Translation essentially consists of taking a text in one language and rendering it into another language. Did you catch that word “text”? The key characteristic of translation is the fact that it works in the medium of the written word.
A literary translation might consist of the translation of a novel from German to French, for example, while a technical translation could be the translation of a cellphone owner’s manual from Japanese to English.

Interpret Speech
Interpreting, like translation, takes one language and renders it into another. The very important difference is the medium: while you translate a written text, you interpret orally.
For example, a medical interpreter at a hospital could interpret between a Spanish-speaking patient and an English-speaking doctor.
The interpreter acts as a facilitator in this oral communication, relaying the patient’s Spanish to the doctor in English — and vice versa.

--------------
Given that, when the Holy Spirit came down to the disciples waiting in the Upper Room they spoke in human tongues, and I don't see anywhere where God says He's now going to send some gibberish language instead, I don't see the authority for supposing that a tongue would not be an intelligible human language.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
I don't think I can agree with you on this, Oz.
I know from working with lawyers that when we must deal with someone who does not speak English, we look for an interpreter.

Here is a link you might want to take a peek at:
(there are others)

https://www.alsintl.com/blog/translate-vs-interpret/
Translate the Written Word
Translation essentially consists of taking a text in one language and rendering it into another language. Did you catch that word “text”? The key characteristic of translation is the fact that it works in the medium of the written word.
A literary translation might consist of the translation of a novel from German to French, for example, while a technical translation could be the translation of a cellphone owner’s manual from Japanese to English.
Interpret Speech
Interpreting, like translation, takes one language and renders it into another. The very important difference is the medium: while you translate a written text, you interpret orally.
For example, a medical interpreter at a hospital could interpret between a Spanish-speaking patient and an English-speaking doctor.
The interpreter acts as a facilitator in this oral communication, relaying the patient’s Spanish to the doctor in English — and vice versa.

--------------
Given that, when the Holy Spirit came down to the disciples waiting in the Upper Room they spoke in human tongues, and I don't see anywhere where God says He's now going to send some gibberish language instead, I don't see the authority for supposing that a tongue would not be an intelligible human language.
To the contrary,
  • 1 Corinthians 14:2 (ESV) states, 'For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit'. Notice the language 'no one understands him', so we are not seeing the teaching that this is a human language (as in Acts 2) where a translator 'understands him' and can provide a translation.
  • 1 Cor 14:14 (ESV) confirms this: 'For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful'. It is not a language from the mind that needs translation. It is a language from the spirit of the person, by the Holy Spirit, that needs the gift of interpretation.
  • I Cor 14:6 (NIV), 'Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?' How will that revelation, knowledge, prophecy or word of instruction come?
  • We are told that this is how it comes: 1 Cor 12:10 (NIV), 'to still another the interpretation of tongues'.
Oz

Reactions: Born_Again

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oz
Hey Oz,

I will have to disagree with you as well. There is simply no indication that the tongues of Acts 2 and the tongues of 1 Cor 14 are two different kinds of tongues (one human language and the other not). The word "tongues" simply means "languages" as you know. We have spiritualized glossias such that it is really percieved quite differently than the average 1st century reader would have understood it. The idea that "no one understands him" still does not indicate that the person is not speaking in a human language (which is what glossias implies). It simply means that if someone does not speak that language (such as the one praying in tongues) then they do not know what is being said (or what they are saying). To say it is not a human language is simply inserting concepts into these words that are not there. Especially when Paul says the following directly after his comment that "no one understands..."

“There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me.” (1 Corinthians 14:10–11, ESV)
He also goes on to say,

“Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.” (1 Corinthians 14:22, ESV)
Two points on these verses:

1. Paul makes it clear that the "sounds" (languages) being spoken of here are not without meaning and that all languages in the world have meaning. It seems evident that he is speaking of human languages and how these languages cause people to feel like foreigners if no one is present who understands the language being spoken. Thus, Paul seems to qualify this concept of "no one understands" and that is because no one present in these cases is fluent in many of these languages being spoken.

2. Paul also makes it clear that this gift is a "sign" for unbelievers. Why would this be the case if it is an unintelligible, angelic language? How would unintelligible babbling ever be a sign to someone who is a skeptic? That makes no sense to me. However, Acts 2 shows us how "tongues" is a sign to unbelievers. It was a miraculous gift that allowed people to praise God in unique dialects that shocked those who listened. Essentially they recognized that something amazing was happening that someone would speak this dialect of theirs so far from their home. This is what made it a "sign" and drew the attention of the crowd in Acts 2 and opened them up to listen to the Gospel. So, this discussion Paul is having is not different from Acts 2.

In sum, glossias means languages. There is nothing in this context that would lead a first century reader to think Paul is speaking about an angelic language or estatic utterance that could not be understood by anyone except one who has the "gift" to interpret what is without human meaning. We have inserted this type of concept into the term "tongues" but that is not what the term itself means. Nothing in the context would lend us to think it was estatic utterances either. Paul is talking about the gift of speaking in unique dialects that have worldly meanings, but were unlearned by the listener and the audience and therefore were of no value to the group. Thus if the gift was unprofitable for the group, it should not be something they were bragging and boasting about. The purpose of gifts is to build others up in love, not self focus. If a gift isnt doing that, then it shouldn't be practiced in the group. It was only causing alienation and making unbelievers think these people were crazy. Again, there is no reason to insert a new definition for glossias in this context than the natural meaning of the word...especially when what we see in this context matches very well with what we see in Acts 2.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
New tongues and other tongues is not the same thing. Mark 16:17 / καινός (kainos) connotes new, recently made, new in species, character, or mode, new to the possessor, unheard of, unusual, renovated, better, of higher excellence.
Jesus said we would speak in a NEW tongue, not another language.

Status
Not open for further replies.