Slaying Sacred Cows-- examining pet beliefs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a bit of uncertain teaching, regarding your post, that is related to this...

Genesis 6:1–4​

1 When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them,

2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive.
I know, Paul was slinging some good seed!

Galatians 4:19 KJV
[19] My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False beliefs are formidable. People demonstrate such loyalty to false beliefs that it is almost like worship. You can take a false belief that is popular and it will pretty much stomp the Bible into the ground. It does not matter how may scriptures prove it wrong the false belief will over power any and all that is written in the Bible.

The other problem with false beliefs is that they skew the meaning of other scriptures....one false belief can skew the meaning of other topics in the Bible and over ride dozens of scriptures. And depending on what it is, it can actually cause people to sin or go to hell.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The beginning, naturally is a great starting point. It's where I'd like to start as well. If we are going to examine our beliefs, where else should we start?
This is the most important point of all for the Christian. Sad to say even here so many start at the middle and work backwards which means they try to fit scripture into their theology.

When I am addressing a new subject or doctrine I always start with the Word of God and work out from their which means I will consult with other theologians usually who are more qualified to speak on the subject and read various books on the subject. Then and only then will I say what I believe.

Sad to say some people will try and shoot me down in flames quoting one verse of scripture. Doesn't work for me because my theological training taught me that you NEVER make a doctrine out of one verse of scripture.

Reactions: Mr E

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
False beliefs are formidable. People demonstrate such loyalty to false beliefs that it is almost like worship. You can take a false belief that is popular and it will pretty much stomp the Bible into the ground. It does not matter how may scriptures prove it wrong the false belief will over power any and all that is written in the Bible.

The other problem with false beliefs is that they skew the meaning of other scriptures....one false belief can skew the meaning of other topics in the Bible and over ride dozens of scriptures. And depending on what it is, it can actually cause people to sin or go to hell.
Interesting comment because when I was writing my dissertation for a Ph.D. I contacted several denominational leaders and said to them the word of God says this but you do this. In every case their response was Yes but......They justified denominational practice and belief having more authority than the word of God.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting comment because when I was writing my dissertation for a Ph.D. I contacted several denominational leaders and said to them the word of God says this but you do this. In every case their response was Yes but......They justified denominational practice and belief having more authority than the word of God.
It is common.
Sometimes false beliefs are a matter of people having junk dumped in their lap and believing it.
But sometimes there is a malicious side.....they want the false belief so they can condemn others and edify themselves.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh brother!
Okay, I made a big mistake. I’m on the 13 hr night shift right now, and can’t seem to get the cobwebs out of my head.

Earlier I posted that that stone building could have been referenced as the heavens, this was incorrect as said st Stephen in acts seven. As quoted the prophet spoke from God that heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool.

Acts 7:49 KJV
[49] Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
This can only be understood one way. The heart of man is God throne. He has subdued the flesh which is his footstool. You see I am made of the same thing the earth is made of.

2 Peter 3:13 KJV
[13] Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
The heart of man is where God dwells!

Paul said that we are seated with Him in heavenly places, he didn’t occupy the hearts of those religious Pharisees their hearts were of stone. As Jesus told them many times.

2 Corinthians 5:17-18 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. [18] And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

Revelation 3:21 KJV
[21] To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I’m pretty simple. The closest thing I have too a PHD is some post hole diggers in the basement.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim B

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fourth day the sun the moon and the stars were created (Israel. )

Genesis 37:9-10 KJV
[9] And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. [10] And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • the sixth day - animals that live on the land and finally humans, made in the image of God were created
The first to bare His image.
Colossians 1:14-15 KJV
[14] In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: [15] Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 2:10 KJV
[10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Psalm 18:9 KJV
[9] He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.

Ephesians 3:14-15 KJV
[14] For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, [15] Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Luke 10:17-18 KJV
[17] And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. [18] And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

This is the image I see!
I’m under his feet!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I made a big mistake. I’m on the 13 hr night shift right now, and can’t seem to get the cobwebs out of my head.

Earlier I posted that that stone building could have been referenced as the heavens, this was incorrect as said st Stephen in acts seven. As quoted the prophet spoke from God that heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool.
Wow! 13-hour shift. That's rough.

I'm not sure what big mistake you made, nor how your citations relate to my point that sin began in heaven?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! 13-hour shift. That's rough.

I'm not sure what big mistake you made, nor how your citations relate to my point that sin began in heaven?
I believe heaven is where God dwells, and scripture says it’s not a place made with hands.

Reactions: Mr E

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another sacred cow.

This delusion that Rome has seduced the world with, that heaven is this mythical place where the bearded old man sits on a throne where infants are floating around him with wings on their backs.

Heaven is just what scripture says it is. It’s the heart of man, where in dwells righteousness.

And out of the abundance the mouth speaks. It’s where Satan is cast from.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe heaven is where God dwells, and scripture says it’s not a place made with hands.
Still not following how your posts relate to my point that sin began in heaven.

BTW, regarding where God dwells, I read just yesterday @ Num 35:34 that God said he lives among the people in the land of Israel.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still not following how your posts relate to my point that sin began in heaven.

BTW, regarding where God dwells, I read just yesterday @ Num 35:34 that God said he lives among the people in the land of Israel.
What was in their hearts prior to God taking up occupancy?

The heavens don’t vilify God, they deslare His glory.