Smokers: Do your children smoke?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Oh okay! so she knows perfectly well what it is to be a smoker and would know how young ppl think if they wanted to start.
We were Christians and knew we were hooked and needed to get free from it. We didn't want to be negative role models either.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We were Christians and knew we were hooked and needed to get free from it. We didn't want to be negative role models either.
I guess you guys thought that you wouldn't be able to control it otherwise, e.g., if you simply pursued social smoking.

Some Christians don't drink wine at all. Other have an occasional glass; and some ppl appreciate the combination of an occasional glass of wine with a cigarette. Everyone is different, I guess.

D

Dave L

I guess you guys thought that you wouldn't be able to control it otherwise, e.g., if you simply pursued social smoking.

Some Christians don't drink wine at all. Other have an occasional glass; and some ppl appreciate the combination of an occasional glass of wine with a cigarette. Everyone is different, I guess.
It was a very hard habit to kick. But I found if you harness the power of love and do it for someone else (wife), you can overcome anything.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was a very hard habit to kick. But I found if you harness the power of love and do it for someone else (wife), you can overcome anything.
I see.. so she managed to overcome her need for inhales because of your encouragement and example...

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh it wasn't problematic! all your contributions are gratefully received! :)

Some others here have taken the view that while they have proven unable to quit so far (and good if they eventually succeed in quitting), they would rather not be around children when they smoke.

You are very gracious! I hope you know that I'm not condemning people who are hooked on nicotine. We all have our struggles.

Reactions: farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This really isn't the thread for me. I absolutely hate smoking! No one in my family smokes, thank God. I'm also thankful that I don't have to breathe other people's toxic smoke in public places anymore!!! My lungs were damaged years ago by smoke in our house, and I can't understand why anyone with a brain would put something into their lungs on purpose that harms the lungs. There, I got it out of my system and now I feel better. :)
Many years ago my wife and I would go to a restaurant where smoking was allowed only in a designated smoking section. We would always request a table as far as possible removed from the smokers. Yet she, never a smoker herself, would still often trigger an asthma attack. Instead of finishing a nice meal, we would have to head for the nearest emergency room to get her breathing properly again.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Many years ago my wife and I would go to a restaurant where smoking was allowed only in a designated smoking section. We would always request a table as far as possible removed from the smokers. Yet she, never a smoker herself, would still often trigger an asthma attack. Instead of finishing a nice meal, we would have to head for the nearest emergency room to get her breathing properly again.
Good to respect the needs of others, indeed.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it's wise to quit. I guess the thread particularly refers to the relationship between smokers and their children.

Thanks for your thoughts.
My wife's asthma only came to the fore when she was nearly 40 years old. It is not only children affected by second hand smoke. Neither she nor I nor any of our parents were ever smokers. The doctor's who treated her asthma in the beginning said her lungs looked similar to those of someone who had smoked two packs a day for most of their life.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My wife's asthma only came to the fore when she was nearly 40 years old. It is not only children affected by second hand smoke. Neither she nor I nor any of our parents were ever smokers. The doctor's who treated her asthma in the beginning said her lungs looked similar to those of someone who had smoked two packs a day for most of their life.
All from passive smoking? So sorry that your wife has experienced this...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All from passive smoking? So sorry that your wife has experienced this...
Unfortunately, economics have a lot to do with it. People who have lived in North Carolina or other states where the tobacco industry is so important perhaps understand this better than I. But it's not only tobacco smoke that is a culprit in this kind of thing.

In the small city where we lived at the time the primary economic base of the town was a huge oil refinery. When they would do a special burn off of waste products at certain times each day, my wife had to stay indoors with all windows and doors closed or go into an asthma attack. The oil company backhandedly admitted to air pollution by buying several hundred homes of people who lived in the areas closest to the refinery. Officially they never admitted fault. We did not live that close, but my wife and other were affected. The pollution was one reason for us moving from there... so she could go outside the house and breathe.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Unfortunately, economics have a lot to do with it. People who have lived in North Carolina or other states where the tobacco industry is so important perhaps understand this better than I. But it's not only tobacco smoke that is a culprit in this kind of thing.

In the small city where we lived at the time the primary economic base of the town was a huge oil refinery. When they would do a special burn off of waste products at certain times each day, my wife had to stay indoors with all windows and doors closed or go into an asthma attack. The oil company backhandedly admitted to air pollution by buying several hundred homes of people who lived in the areas closest to the refinery. Officially they never admitted fault. We did not live that close, but my wife and other were affected. The pollution was one reason for us moving from there... so she could go outside the house and breathe.
Glad you had the opportunity to move...

Reactions: amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, sounds terrible. I never had an asthma attack from it, but being around it makes it hard for me to breathe.

Reactions: farouk