So, as one relatively new still, what's with the name calling, insults,pejoratives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
used by some here who think to use that language best represents their understanding of scripture, and their relationship with Christ?

Those words, and the spirit that gives them thought, and "breath" on forums is that which we are to be on guard against in this world. Right?
Not giving it a platform in these forums.
Right?

Imagine Evangelizing like this:
"Yeah? Well, you're too stupid to know what the bible says do don't try to argue scripture with me! Grow up Moron! "

We're a little pocket on a web that covers the world.

We have no idea how many people are out there looking for a way to discover what it is like to live as Christians in community, communing, with the holy spirit.
Or, are looking to see if we walk the talk of Jesus by our example.

So, why does hostility, disrespect, insults, intentions to hurt one another's feelings, or belittle our faith, etc... enter in?
:(

What's the church here have to say?

Thank you for reading.:)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
used by some here who think to use that language best represents their understanding of scripture, and their relationship with Christ?

Those words, and the spirit that gives them thought, and "breath" on forums is that which we are to be on guard against in this world. Right?
Right?

"Yeah? Well, you're too stupid to know what the bible says do don't try to argue scripture with me! Grow up Moron! "

We have no idea how many people are out there looking for a way to discover what it is like to live as Christians in community, communing, with the holy spirit.

So, why does hostility, disrespect, insults, intentions to hurt one another's feelings, or belittle our faith, etc... enter in?

What are idle words according to God?

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Matt 12:36

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't truly know, but as I'm not completely innocent either I can think of only one answer. We aren't Jesus. We're all just a bunch of sinners that have not earned our salvation but it comes out of grace and love since we haven't done anything to deserve it.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must always be serious and grave concerning sin and error . As some folks here know i am just that .
But who here has seen me call one an ugly name . Ponder that for a second .
Cause we have us a dead wrong approach by most when it comes to sin and error .
Most will just hug and get along and wont bother to correct . That too is very deadly and its not love at all .
Nor does anyone have to belittle anyone to make a firm solid point either .
We must be on guard . If we learn our bibles well , learn that pattern well , following the Spirit
believe me when we see error It leads us on how to correct .
But leaving folks in error is total bad news as well . Thus yall will always see me warn
anyone in a dangerous institution or in a sin , or supporting sin , real fast . I do it out of great love for their soul .

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must always be serious and grave concerning sin and error . As some folks here know i am just that .
But who here has seen me call one an ugly name . Ponder that for a second .
Cause we have us a dead wrong approach by most when it comes to sin and error .
Most will just hug and get along and wont bother to correct . That too is very deadly and its not love at all .
Nor does anyone have to belittle anyone to make a firm solid point either .
We must be on guard . If we learn our bibles well , learn that pattern well , following the Spirit
believe me when we see error It leads us on how to correct .
But leaving folks in error is total bad news as well . Thus yall will always see me warn
anyone in a dangerous institution or in a sin , or supporting sin , real fast . I do it out of great love for their soul .
2 Timothy 3:16

I think we correct error out of love. However, if we resort to using disparaging words, or seek to cut someone to the quick with insults, we aren't serving righteousness. But instead are displaying a fault in ourselves that needs correction.

I don't think we can correct others Exegesis, Soteriology, and so forth while displaying an unrighteous demeanor.

How to represent the prince of peace without talking like the prince of darkness.

We're human. A grace filled work in process.

Last edited:

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16

I think we correct error out of love. However, if we resort to using disparaging words, or seek to cut someone to the quick with insults, we aren't serving righteousness. But instead are displaying a fault in ourselves that needs correction.

I don't think we can correct others Exegesis, Soteriology, and so forth wholr displaying an unrighteous demeanor.

How to represent the prince of peace without talking like the prince of darkness.

We're human. A grace filled work in process.

Sometimes I think it's more about how we say things and correct others than what we say and the correct themselves.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't truly know, but as I'm not completely innocent either I can think of only one answer. We aren't Jesus. We're all just a bunch of sinners that have not earned our salvation but it comes out of grace and love since we haven't done anything to deserve it.
Who among us is always innocent? We must however strive to do better and also ask God to help us. Don't ask once and quit. Keep on asking regularly until you like Jesus have by the power of the Holy Ghost overcome all the world which opposes us in our walk with God. Who has already completed that task?

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There was nothing hostile at all about some of tbe posts I saw you call hostile.

Maybe you can give us an example of this hostility? Im thinking you may just be reading things wrongly. Something else I have noticed in general is, if one is losing an argument, they will level false accusations of hostility towards their opponent as an oddball means of defense.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there is evidence of just how much lawlessness and antichrist spirit has invaded the so called church. And I think the Lord is very close to doing some serious cleaning within His own House.

He only puts up with us profaning His Name for so long. And I suspect His patience has run out.

Ezekiel 39:7 NKJV — “So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel, and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Right?

Bear in mind that although this is a Christian discussion forum, everyone who posts here is a sinner -- including me. Not only this, but this forum represents a good cross section of the Christian walk. In other words, some are more mature than others. Some have walked in the Lord longer than others.

Often times arguments devolve into conversations like "You're an idiot; no you're an idiot; no YOU'RE an idiot" ad infinitum. Both people think truth matters and both are incredulous that arguments are being ignored. There can be several causes for this break-down in communication but consider the following.

When one attempts to make a rational defense of an idea, one assumes the other person is able and willing to examine and weigh evidence and draw a rational conclusion based on sound argument and evidence. An individual dedicated to the truth is willing to change his or her mind when new evidence is presented.

That is on the one hand; on the other hand, some of us hold "ostensible" beliefs, not based on rational argument, but based on religious commitment. Those individuals who hold ostensible beliefs, committed to the dogma of a particular religion, having not come to their beliefs through rational argument, will not be swayed away from those beliefs in light of new evidence. Religion is a meal swallowed in one bite.

To debate or attempt to convince people with ostensible beliefs is always going to result in frustration and hurt feelings. Those who hold ostensible beliefs don't make arguments to defend their ideas. They simply assert their beliefs without argument, take it or leave it. Those of us who have come to our beliefs through an evaluation of sound argument and evidence, make our best case for what we believe, mistakenly thinking that those who hold ostensible beliefs will change their mind. They won't. In that case, all we can do is make our best case and then nicely allow the other person to "take it or leave it."

We need to be willing to "lose" the argument and walk away. And we need to give each other freedom of thought and make allowances for each others process. As believers, we not only need the courage to tell the truth, we should speak the truth with love and when love demand it, stop long enough to listen to the other person.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was nothing hostile at all about some of tbe posts I saw you call hostile.

Maybe you can give us an example of this hostility? Im thinking you may just be reading things wrongly. Something else I have noticed in general is, if one is losing an argument, they will level false accusations of hostility towards their opponent as an oddball means of defense.

For me, I would say for one thing, to call Osas teaching out as false is one thing for example, but to tell new Christians to "beware osas people" like there are no spirit filled believers in the group is another thing. I believed osas for years. Calling the people out as false teachers and hypocrites cuts off conversation completely. There are many spirit filled believers for tongues and against tongues, for one way or another way. It is being preached against instead of discussed in a spirit of love that drives people away from God and deeper study. I still believe many points of osas except now I believe someone can walk away from Christ.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, I would say for one thing, to call Osas teaching out as false is one thing for example, but to tell new Christians to "beware osas people" like there are no spirit filled believers in the group is another thing. I believed osas for years. Calling the people out as false teachers and hypocrites cuts off conversation completely. There are many spirit filled believers for tongues and against tongues, for one way or another way. It is being preached against instead of discussed in a spirit of love that drives people away from God and deeper study. I still believe many points of osas except now I believe someone can walk away from Christ.
But Christ never walks away from them. "No one shall take them from my hand."
I think when he said no one can, that means not even we can jump.

I think OSAS seems to draw conflict because no matter how many debates surround it, no matter how often supporting scriptures that affirm Salvation is a free irrevocable gift of God, and that those who are truly saved do not believe they can carry on in a worldly fallen sin filled life and still be saved, there remains an effort to deny all those truths that are grounded in scripture and insist the opposite is true.

And often what accompanies the argument that opposes OSAS is that which insists we can do something that will stop us being saved. That we are able to revoke, take away, lose, our salvation that was a free irrevocable gift from God.
Our choice can overcome God's.

Sure, we may lose our faith for whatever reason. However that doesn't mean God looses his faith in we who did nothing to earn his free irrevocable gift.

That's how I see it.

God knew his own by name before anything was made.
But we know we can do something that makes him wrong about that?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Right?

Had to smile, this was what lay at the heart of my concerns on my thread about the website and the message it conveyed to ‘ the many people who are out there looking for a way to discover what it is like to live as Christians ‘ ...................

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had to smile, this was what lay at the heart of my concerns on my thread about the website and the message it conveyed to ‘ the many people who are out there looking for a way to discover what it is like to live as Christians ‘ ...................
Going with this thread relating to that thread of your own and to that which you refer.

Certainly, I would not agree censorship advocscy is a good example to those seeking evidence of what it means to live in Christ.
I think it sends an odd message to impart support for censorship. That we are saved from our sins but we have to save ourselves through censorship from other people's thoughts put into words.

Whereas this thread pertains to our heart and state of mind as professed people of faith interacting with one another.
And the message it sends about our church to seekers who may be reading, when we are ungracious to one another while discussing the bible, God, and what it means to live in Christ.

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Right?

Well generally speaking we should treat each other with much greater respect. But Scripture says "Iron sharpens iron" and when that happens, sometime ssparks fly!

I agree that people should not condescend and lift themselves higher, but I have no problem with a lively and hearted debate.