So How Do I Get Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jobeliano

Nov 27, 2010
Muntinlupa, Philippines
In my classmate's church he said they speak in tongues, he said it mean you have received Holy Spirit from God. I want to transfer to that church but my parents will not agree(I'm a Catholic). When I ask my classmate if how did he get Holy Spirit he said that they praise and worship God but I can't see to get one. Anyone has ideas?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my classmate's church he said they speak in tongues, he said it mean you have received Holy Spirit from God. I want to transfer to that church but my parents will not agree(I'm a Catholic). When I ask my classmate if how did he get Holy Spirit he said that they praise and worship God but I can't see to get one. Anyone has ideas?

Hi Mr. Newbie, and welcome,

All I can say, is I saw people on TV speaking in tongues occassionlly and I knew about healings at the church I occassionally attend...a lady in front of me
was smiling and spoke in tongues for 3 seconds once --so I was fascinated - this thing's got to be real - its not some kooky, fake thing ---so I
started to research all about healings, and tongues and the Holy Spirit.

One day my new friend asked me to go to the 4th evening of a 5 day Bible Conference with Andrew Wommack - I said I was way too tired at 7 pm -
she dragged me there -where I, at 9:30 pm, I went to an "altar call" and a nice, smilng lady (12 prayer ministers were there) said some words and said, Ok you're healed, basically.
Long story short 1.5 years later - I'm still healed ---it took 4 days - each day I got better and never doubted for a second God was
working to heal me completely and he did. (3 year hip problem going to both knees, had seen many healthcare people)

Next night, again I said I was too tired - she dragged me again.
This time I was the first rushing up to Andrew, shook his hand, to get "Baptised in the Holy Spirit" - whatever that was.

Now, I read what I experienced was being slain in the Spirit...I didn't fall over - but I was like "drunk, high" - beaming, gigglng right there 2 feet in front of Andrew, bouncing ---it
was hard to contain this "high" in front of 1000 people.

5 days later - I never dreamed it would be possible -(and I never have doubt!) -- but this Speaking in Tongues thing is wild stuff- my mind
blocked it -I mean " come on" - I'm never going
to be able to let myself have my mouth be taken over without my conscious control of what I'm saying ---way too weird even for me!!

But I kept my faith up - if you want to learn to dance, this is how I explain it ---you have to get up and start at least moving your feet, right? So I started to move my mouth
a bit while driving
and talking aloud to God saying, I trust in this thing Lord - it's in the Bible and I've seen it, so I'm going to make some 'ma-ma-ta-ta' sounds to get things started - and
right then and there - my speech was not mine. Short version.

Now, a week later on the internet - I searched around and someone was mocking Tongues saying, There sure are alot "Ba-ba" sounds. Really?
So while speaking in tongues by myself - always by myself - I like "forced" in my mind to say 'ba-ba' sounds ---I couldn't "make" myself say ba-ba anything!

It was not part of my "Prayer Language". Mine sounds Hindi or Korean, btw.

Once, when I had severe heat/sun stroke this summer (my 50th time) --- I had people coming over in 2 hours --laying on my pillow my head rolling back
and forth in such migraine pain... it is the worse. Only time or the blessing of a nap might reduce it -no ice or aspirin or water touch this...
I thought - I'll pray in tongues, here suffering so--- in less than 10 minutes I was healed completely - and told my guests smiling from ear to ear ---normally
my whole aft into evening would have been in misery in bed.
It is all for His Glory and praise.

And, you know there are Charismatic Catholics - filled with the Holy Spirit, right? Ask around.
(Maybe not in your city.)

:) Miss Hepburn

Reactions: gregg

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
JESUS said just ask the father in his name and he will give you the HOLY SPIRIT but we must ask. :rolleyes:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You received the Holy Spirit when you were baptized. Speaking in tongues is simply prayer vocalized Contemplation and speaking in tongues are expressed exactly the same way in the brain - you are praying beyond words. Try sitting in silence and let the HS pray for you - 5 mins, then work on sitting longer listening to God - the HS will continue praying for you.

Peace

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Like gregg says, we must ask our Heavenly Father through His Son to bless us with The Holy Spirit anointing. Christ promised The Holy Spirit Comforter to His servants, and that He would teach us all things (John 14). So it's not just about a sign of showing miracles. It's especially about being given understanding in God's Word. That begins by study of all of God's Word, asking The Father through His Son for understanding directly, and not through any man. A believer must first learn to listen to God Himself in His Word.

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
(KJV)

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I don't think there are two baptisms. Although there seems to be in the Bible.

If you call on the name of the Lord and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and you're saved, You have the Spirit of God. He sends the Comforter to you.

Speaking in tongues is only one single type of gift. It's not proof of your salvation. If you don't speak in tongues it doesn't mean that you don't have the Holy Spirit.

There is absolutely no way you would be able to understand anything in the Bible, or believe that Jesus is Lord if you don't have the Holy Spirit.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010

Being "slain in the spirit" is not biblical. That is not a teaching in the Bible. It is not the Word of God. Those who practice that can't even give scripture about it, because it's not scripture. In fact, it also goes against the Word of God when "being slain in the spirit" is compared to being "drunk." That's what they compare it to---being drunk in the spirit. The Bible warns us against drunkenness. There are many warnings against drunkeness.

And the nowadays speaking in tongues is not biblical. Speaking in tongues in the Bible times were for a sign to the Jews, that people of strange tongues would speak to the Jews (see Isaiah 28:11, 1 Corinthians 14:21, and Acts 2:5-11). Speaking in tongues were for a sign to the Jews---and to show that the Gentiles were given salvation from God too. Just think how important it was for the Jews to know that Gentiles were included.....remember, the Gentiles were once referred to by the Jews as being unclean people. See Acts 10:44-48 and Acts 11:1-18 to see how the Gentiles speaking in tongues were for a sign to the Jews that Gentile were accepted by God and given salvation.
The Bible times speaking in tongues were during the laying of the foundation....the foundation has been laid, and the sign has been given. See Ephesians 2:20.
The New Testament times were very special times to say the least. Salvation is given to us by God through Jesus Christ, that God testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spririt distributed according to his will (Hebrew 2:1-4).
Again, the New Testament times are very special times to say the least. The Savior has come! The foundation was being laid by the apostles, prophets and Jesus Christ himself as chief cornerstone (Eph 2:20). God testified to this Salvation with signs and wonders.....and speaking in tongues were for a sign to the Jews.

In the Bible we are told that those who spoke in tongues were not to even do so unless there is someone who could interpret what they said. Not every one spoke in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5). If someone spoke in tongues, then they should pray that they should also interpret what they say, for the benefit of others (1 Corinthians 14:13). Even when praying and singing while speaking in tongues, the speaker, for himself also, should interpret what he is saying so that it is fruitful for his mind (1 Corinthians 14:14,15).

I pray that you will desire only God's Truth, and not be taken in by false doctrine that seems interesting, or mysterious. May God's truth keep you close to Him and Jesus Christ.
I have taken my time and careful effort to bring you this truth. I hope it helps you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read through the Book of Acts carefully you will see many examples of people receiving the Holy Ghost. Some, but not all , of them who receive it also receive a gifts of tongues. This goes alone with this verse:

" And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" I Cor 12:28-30

To me these verses are saying that even as there are apostles and teachers, there are also those who speak with tongues, but as not everyone will necessarily be in one of those ministerial positions, neither will every one receive one of unknown tongues gifts. [I count three different such gifts in scripture.]

As to how to go about receiving the Holy Ghost and any of the gifts such as tongues, again reading through the book of Acts you will see that some received one or both at the time of their water baptism, but that was not always the case.

The best way to receive any gift that God wishes to give you is to ask Him for it in the midst of worship of Him and prayer to Him:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" Matt 7:7
The promises shown in the above verse will always work for anything that we ask in accord with God's will. Some people do receive when asking for things because their requests are not God's will for them. What I always do when praying for something is do as Jesus did in His prayer to His Father in Gethsemene. Add these words or something of similar meaning to your requests:

"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Another thing to remember when praying that we need a bit of faith toward God. If you doubt your faith then remember these words of natural father to Jesus whe asking for the healing of his child:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief " Mark 9:23-24

Even in our lack of faith, we can ask the Lord for help. The man's child was healed!

And never ever forget to give God the glory in all things!

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
In my previous post, I was very concerned about false doctrines. Now here I would like to talk more about receiving the Holy Spirit. First I want to give some information before the Holy Spirit was given...

John the Baptist prepares the way for the Lord. He came preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Mark 1:7-8

John the baptist tells us Jesus will do the baptizing. Jesus will baptize us with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

We see that we are to repent and be baptized, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins. And we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Water baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Our old nature is to die and we are to be “buried with Him through baptism into death.” We are buried with the water, and raised out of the water, raised to “walk in newness of life” (live like Jesus).

See Romans 6:4…We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

More on water baptism...it is a promise of a good conscience to God. See 1 Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. Acts 15:7-8

In the above scriptures (Acts 15:7-8) we learn that God showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them.

From the scriptures, I see the Holy Spirit can come on someone after an apostle placed his hands on them, see Acts 19:4-6. And the Holy Spirit was given after Peter and John placed their hands on people.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. Acts 8:14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit."

In the above scripture (Acts 8:15) we learn they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. See in Luke 11:13 that the Father gives the gift of the Holy Spirit to those who ask. Luke 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Our Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.....to those who ask him.

The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead---whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." Acts 5:30-32. "...the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.

From the scriptures, I see that the Holy Spirit came on some after hearing the message, to those who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ. And I see that the Holy Spirit is given to those who obey. From the scriptures we can see that God gives the Holy Spirit to them He accepts. I see that the Holy Spirit can come on someone after an apostle placed hands on them. And from the scriptures I see that the Holy Spirit is a gift given by the Father to those who prayed. And our Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to His children who ask. John the baptist tells us Jesus does the baptizing. We know from the scriptures that Jesus certainly laid His hands on many of those He healed; however, He also healed without laying His hands on people. In fact, there were times when He was nowhere near the vicinity of those He healed. Matthew 8:8 describes Jesus healing the servant of the centurion without going near the centurion’s house.

Read this beautiful, powerful passage....

John 14:15-31 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. and I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--- the Spirit of truth. the world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. but you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?" Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. "All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you ; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. "You heard me say, "I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. "Come now; let us leave.

Read again what Jesus said. Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

It gives me great comfort to know that the Father and Jesus will come and make a home with those who obey Jesus' teachings. I have confidence in this whether or not a religion preformed any act correctly or not.

Reactions: Jobeliano

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Acts 2:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup]And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 10:45-46 (NKJV)
[sup]45 [/sup]And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. [sup]46 [/sup]For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

Acts 19:6 (NKJV)
[sup]6 [/sup]And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
JESUS said just ask the father in his name and he will give you the HOLY SPIRIT but we must ask. :rolleyes:

Hello, But I have asked several times. Maybe am too young to have the Holy Spirit. I love Him. I think I have Him because I feel guilty most times when I sin and something tells me to beg for forgiveness.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit isn't a magic show and God doesn't perform a dog and pony act.
If you want a show I suggest buying tickets to see David Copperfield's magic act or Cirque de Soliel (your folks will love it).

Your parents are concerned about your involvement in some sort of cult wierdness and that's probably why they disagree.
It usually isn't a cult, but there has been a lot of bad press through the years about the Pentacostal tradition.

It's ok to get insanely exicted about a Notre Dame football game, but it's not ok to get excited about God.
Go figure. What's more important here?
Don't let anybody tell you it's a Catholic thing either. The attitude has penetratated all the denominations of Christendom.

You have to ask for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit, or any spirit for that matter is not automatic.
It's not rocket science, it's personal - on the part of the human as well as God.
Think about it from His point of view.

IT MUST BE ASKED FOR and asked for sincerely, deeply and with passion.

God is not a vending machine and the blessings of the Holy Spirit do not happen because you perform some ritual.

It isn't magic.

There is a great deal of idiomatic, dogmatic, doctrinal rubbish involved in the answer to this question.

Bottom line is that you MUST ask for the Holy Spirit to indwell.

Once upon a time, the idea was accepted by all Christians. Today, not so much.
Some think the whole thing is automatic and have totally abandoned any sort of personal involvement in the matter.
Take, for example, a common assembly of Christians.
It used to be that in the beginning of any assembly an invocation was pronounced. That's a liturgical way of saying that God is invited to participate in the ceremony, gathering, or group.
The practice devolved to the opening part of a ritual or recitation; mindless and devoid of personal desire.

In many instances today, there is no invocation at all. None. Zero. Zip.
What's that all about? Is God now expected to show up in respect to our grand assembly in His name or in the name of our various religious franchises?
This is nuts.

Would YOU attend a gathering if people didn't invite you or if they didn't seem to care if you showed up or not?
I doubt it, or at least I'm sure you'd stop coming after a while when you saw that folks didn't really mean it or care at all.
Why do people seem to think God is any different?

God isn't a vending machine and doesn't vomit out blessings in response to mindless recitations.

You've got to want it, mean it and ask for it.

Then maybe, if God is merciful, something will happen. Maybe.

Bear in mind that in all things blessings from God are not required of Him and are not automatic.
God doesn't HAVE TO do anything.
That is why blessings, when they do come, are so grand - and why great thanksgiving is in order.

Hello, But I have asked several times. Maybe am too young to have the Holy Spirit. I love Him. I think I have Him because I feel guilty most times when I sin and something tells me to beg for forgiveness.

Guilt is from the devil. Conviction of sin is from God.

Big difference.

Guilt just makes us feel bad about ourselves - it's pointless and demeaning like some sort of dark cloud.
Guilt results in depression, not forgiveness.
Conviction from God inspires us to action - repentance and a sincere request for forgiveness; like a big red arrow pointing to a specific act.
The result is joy.

If something is impressing you with guilt then reject it.
If God is telling you to beg for forgiveness, then do it.

Bear in mind that repentance is also involved.
That means that you must stop doing whatever it is that God wants stopped.

When repentance is sincere, then God hears our prayers for forgiveness and makes us clean.
God is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin.

It is better to be forgiven than to speak in tongues.