Sola scriptura?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you noticed how theefaith has hijacked Christianity Board? He probably has the highest number of threads. So there's your proof of free speech, even though it is nonsensical.:eek:
The irony is that the Catholic Church will champion free speech and freedom of conscience for themselves when the government is protestant, (those concepts being protestant ethics), but will deny those things for others if the government be Catholic.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your words alone say one thing to one person and perhaps something else to another. I believe I know what your understanding is from my own Catholic past as well as from what you have written here repeatedly on this forum.

We do live by faith my friend, but what is our faith to be in...?
Stand where you believe that you must, but do not press others to follow you unless are able to let them see that you are following Christ.

there is only one faith: catholic eph 4:5

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unity of faith can only have one arbiter of truth and the same faith!

Who is the arbiter of truth!

You can decide.
You can decide what is true.
You can decide what is truth.
You can decide right and wrong.

Not one of these are found in scripture!

Found in scripture!
Taught is found 79 times
Instructed is found 19
Instruction is found 33

Jn 14:6 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

Matt 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

1 Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

Christ: either for me or against me!

Unity of faith!

Requirements of union in the new covenant church!

Union with Christ the only mediator!
And in communion with God and the saints!

Must believe the catholic faith, without error!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More

Suffering is the only remedy for sin!

1 pet 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Amen! Enjoying your posts brother. The NT speaks of those who are going around seeking to establish their own righteousness, instead of submitting to the righteousness of Christ. The word of God's word says our own righteousness is as filthy rags.

And unfortunately people can be seduced and fooled by an appearance of righteousness that is merely the rags of someone's or some group's own righteousness and not of Christ.
@Lizbeth Good sentiment there; always we need to keep 'Looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2) and depending on Him alone...............

Reactions: Lizbeth

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteousness comes from Christ thru grace that we receive in the sacraments instituted by Christ for salvation!

Sacraments instituted by Christ for the salvation of souls!

It’s not a do it yourself religion!
It’s not a bible study!

It’s a covenant!

Not by “faith alone”
“Faith alone” aint biblical!

You may think “Accept Jesus Christ as you personal Lord and savior” is biblical but there is no such verse in your bible!

Faith and the sacraments in the church founded by the authority Christ on Peter and the apostles is biblical! Matt 16:18-19 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

Faith and baptism is the biblical initiation into the new covenant and member is Christ and His holy church!

Psalm 51 Ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

You cannot enter a covenant by “faith alone” must be a ritual outward sign!

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

Faith and baptism! Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Merits of christ’s passion, death, and precious blood are applied in the sacraments! Jn 1:16

Colossians 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Heb 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Lk 1: 72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

There is only one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors is the new covenant body of Christ! Matt 1:18 & Jn 10:16 one fold

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Christ and His church are one: acts 9 why persecute me?

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Sacraments are the fruit of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ!

The holy sacrifice of Christ, His passion, blood, and death producing unlimited fruits of divine grace, actual and sanctifying grace! Jn 1:29 Jn 1:16-17 Jn 10:10
And they are applied to our souls in the church by faith and the seven sacraments!

“This promise” (sacred oath of God or sacrament) of the Father acts 2:38-39 with reference to ez 36:25-27 Also a mystery Mk 4:11 Eph 5:32 eph 6:19 1 Tim 3:9 3:16 Col 1:27 2:2 4:3

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jn 3:5 born again by water and the spirit.

Heb 7:21 For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec
(Oath = sacrament)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Based on Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

A promise is a sacred oath or sacrament!
Baptismal regeneration is the promise of the Father for union in the new covenant!

The church and the seven sacraments are necessary for salvation

Better covenant on better promises

2 Timothy 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Life of supernatural grace merited by Christ in His passion and death!

An oath to sacramental life in the new covenant in union with the mediator and communion with God, and the saints!

Promise of the Father acts 2:23-39
Promise is an oath and an oath is a sacrament! This promise of the sacrament of baptism refers to ez. 36:25-27

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by baptism!

Jn 1:5-5 abide in Him, apart from Him you can do nothing.

Jn 10:10 life, (grace more abundantly)
Jn 1: 16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

Jn 1:16-17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
(Thru faith and the sacraments!)

God provides for everything:
John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

He is the way we must follow!
He is the truth we must believe!
He is the life, life of grace thru the sacraments of the church in which we must live!

Abide in Christ and His church with grace and life provided by God thru the sacraments!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Baptism: (initiation into the covenant)
Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5

The Eucharist: (holy communion)
Mt 26:26-39 Jn 6:51-58 1 Cor 11:23-25

Confession of sins:
Jn 20:23 / 1 Jn 1:9 / 2 cor 5:18

Confirmation
Lk 22:32 acts 8:14-17
acts 14:22

Marriage:
Matt 19:4-6

Holy orders: (priesthood)
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru His priesthood in Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 10:1-8 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 acts 1:17 acts 6:4 acts 8:26
2 Cor 5:18 1 Tim 4:14 Eph 2:20

Extreme unction: (anointing with oil)
1 Tim 4:14 James 5:14

The ark of salvation: one, holy, catholic, (universal) and apostolic church founded by Jesus Christ on Peter and the apostles!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is only one faith: catholic eph 4:5
If you can only see it with the natural eye, is it faith?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

Reactions: Nancy

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola scriptura?

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, andspeak face to face, that our joy may be full.

2 Corinthians 1:15
And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

if an apostle teaches by:

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!

But if he writes it down then and only then will we believe!

even though the content is exactly the same!

the apostles themselves have no authority!
Only what the write!!!!

fundamentalism is faith without reason, logic, or rational thought!
You're not making good sense. First, there are no more apostles. Secondly, there was no written word to guide anyone unlike today. And finally, since we di have tge written word it is our one and only inspired word of God. There are sufficient warnings about adding to or taking away from the word as well as not following the commandments of God which can be found within His written word.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not making good sense. First, there are no more apostles. Secondly, there was no written word to guide anyone unlike today. And finally, since we di have tge written word it is our one and only inspired word of God. There are sufficient warnings about adding to or taking away from the word as well as not following the commandments of God which can be found within His written word.
theefaith never makes any sense. He just goes on and on with meaningless posts. He doesn't even understand what sola scriptura means.

BTW, there was the written word during the time of the original apostles. It's what we call the Old Testament.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
theefaith never makes any sense. He just goes on and on with meaningless posts. He doesn't even understand what sola scriptura means.

BTW, there was the written word during the time of the original apostles. It's what we call the Old Testament.
Edit: please disregard this jim.b as I thought it was meant for me DJT_47 but was apparently for theefaith. Sorry. My comment however is pertinent.

I understand perfectly that it's Latin nonsense and those that use such idiotic words do so in a vain attempt to demonstrate their supposed superior knowledge and understanding.

Reactions: Jim B

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sola scriptura?

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, andspeak face to face, that our joy may be full.

2 Corinthians 1:15
And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

if an apostle teaches by:

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!

But if he writes it down then and only then will we believe!

even though the content is exactly the same!

the apostles themselves have no authority!
Only what the write!!!!

fundamentalism is faith without reason, logic, or rational thought!
Fair point with most of your post, though I think we need to define what is meant by the term "sola scriptura". It's a term not found in the bible, and I have both observed and experienced that arguing over man-made concepts leads to a lot of polarization and strife and is not helpful in the end. Different people can mean different things by a thing, or different details and nuances. Think it's much better to just look at what the bible says about God's word. Sure, He speaks to us in many various ways, but how do we test these things (as the bible says we need to do).....of course we need to test the spirits and test all things against the word of God, and what we learn in scripture about His ways and character as well. God's word is the plumbline against which we measure all things...and it is the only plumbline we have been given. Everything that man says and does needs to be measured against it.

What you are saying about "fundamentalism" is only sometimes true, as it is sometimes true about anything where human beings are involved. And what is fundamentalism anyway, that is another term not found in the bible. It can mean different things to different people...even those who call themselves fundamentalists have areas of disagreement. I would say fundamentalism is quite right in the fundamentals. "Ye must be born again" :)

Reactions: Brakelite and Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair point with most of your post, though I think we need to define what is meant by the term "sola scriptura". It's a term not found in the bible, and I have both observed and experienced that arguing over man-made concepts leads to a lot of polarization and strife and is not helpful in the end. Different people can mean different things by a thing, or different details and nuances. Think it's much better to just look at what the bible says about God's word. Sure, He speaks to us in many various ways, but how do we test these things (as the bible says we need to do).....of course we need to test the spirits and test all things against the word of God, and what we learn in scripture about His ways and character as well. God's word is the plumbline against which we measure all things...and it is the only plumbline we have been given. Everything that man says and does needs to be measured against it.

What you are saying about "fundamentalism" is only sometimes true, as it is sometimes true about anything where human beings are involved. And what is fundamentalism anyway, that is another term not found in the bible. It can mean different things to different people...even those who call themselves fundamentalists have areas of disagreement. I would say fundamentalism is quite right in the fundamentals. "Ye must be born again" :)
theefaith doesn't make any sense. All he does is go on and on and on with Catholic doctrine, posting one verse after another plus Catholic teachings. I don't think that he has a mind of his own.

BTW, he has no understanding of the meaning of sola scriptura. He just follows what the Pope and others come up with. Thank God for Martin Luther and others who rescued Christianity from the Catholic hegemony.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stand alone on the word of God........the
B....I....B....L....E !

Awesome children's song, some of you were NEVER taught !☹️

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
theefaith doesn't make any sense. All he does is go on and on and on with Catholic doctrine, posting one verse after another plus Catholic teachings. I don't think that he has a mind of his own.

BTW, he has no understanding of the meaning of sola scriptura. He just follows what the Pope and others come up with. Thank God for Martin Luther and others who rescued Christianity from the Catholic hegemony.
Amen, even though that movement was not perfect, I'm so glad too that light shone in the darkness and people were able to get free of the darkness!

The bible says not to lean on our own understanding but in all our ways to acknowledge GOD (not the pope, not priests, not pastors).....our carnal minds are enmity with God and lead us astray....we need to Lord to lead us into all truth by His Spirit. Test everything that preachers/teachers/priests and popes say by the word of God and with discernment. We're not to blindly believe what people say just because they have a particular position, especially when many have been qualified for their position by man and not by the Lord.

When people just passively abdicate their 'mental autonomy' to authorities other than Christ, then cultish bondages in the mind happen. This happens in various degrees in Protestant churches too, though more heavily in Catholicism. We need to first of all be born again to know the Lord, then know the scriptures with the Holy Spirit giving us understanding of them, then measure everything people say against those scrips. (With a healthy dose of humility, since we are all seeing through a glass darkly.)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, even though that movement was not perfect, I'm so glad too that light shone in the darkness and people were able to get free of the darkness!

The bible says not to lean on our own understanding but in all our ways to acknowledge GOD (not the pope, not priests, not pastors).....our carnal minds are enmity with God and lead us astray....we need to Lord to lead us into all truth by His Spirit. Test everything that preachers/teachers/priests and popes say by the word of God and with discernment. We're not to blindly believe what people say just because they have a particular position, especially when many have been qualified for their position by man and not by the Lord.

When people just passively abdicate their 'mental autonomy' to authorities other than Christ, then cultish bondages in the mind happen. This happens in various degrees in Protestant churches too, though more heavily in Catholicism. We need to first of all be born again to know the Lord, then know the scriptures with the Holy Spirit giving us understanding of them, then measure everything people say against those scrips. (With a healthy dose of humility, since we are all seeing through a glass darkly.)
Great post!

Reactions: Brakelite

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know who was taught or not taught this ditty?

Excuse me DID I CALL ON YOUR AVATAR @Jim B ?
Did I specifically call on anyone or name any?
Is not this thread Sola Scriptura?

Do NOT come @ me when the rag is on. You won't ( if you do) like me, I assure you this.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Screenshot_20221126-151330~2.png

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jhn 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

That is what God thinks of His Word …And if the Bible is God breathed …. when we promote the church fathers, creeds or religious tradition, above or even on the same level as the written Word….. Are you not declaring yourself to be wiser than God?

I have run into far too many people who talk about the church fathers….. And, no doubt…. you can glean some great information from the writings. …but they’re from man…no different, from you or me. And while we may write things that line up with the Word of God…. I would never state that my words were theopneustos “God breathed Words” …and I doubt you would either.

Many times, i have spoken with those who promote religious tradition or the writings of the church fathers ….at the end of the day…they will elevate those things above the Word …even if it contradicts the Word.

As for the Apocrypha … That is something I had to check out for myself…. I had to determine why they were not included …After reading them, it was quite evident to me ….these were not something inspired by God. There were several reasons why I determined that…. including several contradictions to the Protestant Bibles….. But I think that is something people need to check on their own.
Others at the time they assembled which books were to go into the bible felt the same way. I do like the book of Enoch as an apocryphal book.