Soul Sleep yes or no?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there such a thing as "soul sleep"?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
Easy-to-Read Version
5 The living know that they will die, but the dead don’t know anything. They have no more reward. People will soon forget them. 6 After people are dead, their love, hate, and jealousy are all gone. And they will never again share in what happens on earth.

Like us, our knowledge is limited to our surroundings and news from others.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 14:1-11
Easy-to-Read Version
Israel Will Return Home
14 The Lord will again show his love to Jacob. He will again choose the people of Israel. He will give them their land. Then the non-Israelites[a] will join the Israelites, and both will become one family—Jacob’s family. 2 Those nations will bring the Israelites back to their land. The men and women from the other nations will become slaves to Israel. In the past, those people forced the Israelites to become their slaves. But in the future the Israelites will defeat those nations, and Israel will then rule over them in the Lord’s land. 3 In the past, you were slaves. People forced you to work hard. But the Lord will take away the hard work you were forced to do.

A Song About the King of Babylon
4 At that time you will begin to sing this song about the king of Babylon:

The king was cruel when he ruled us,
but now his rule is finished.
5 The Lord breaks the scepter of evil rulers;
he takes away their power.
6 In anger, the king of Babylon beat the people.
He never stopped beating them.
He was an evil ruler who ruled in anger.
He never stopped hurting people.
7 But now, the whole country rests and is quiet.
Now the people begin to celebrate.
8 You were an evil king,
and now you are finished.
Even the pine trees are happy.
The cedar trees of Lebanon rejoice.
They say, “The king chopped us down,
but now the king has fallen,
and he will never stand again.”
9 The place of death is excited
that you are coming.
Sheol is waking the spirits
of all the leaders of the earth for you.
Sheol is making the kings stand up
from their thrones to meet you.
10 They will make fun of you, saying,
“Now you are as dead as we are.
Now you are just like us.”

11 Your pride has been sent down to Sheol.
The music from your harps announces the coming of your proud spirit.
Maggots will be the bed you lie on,
and other worms will cover your body like a blanket.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Hebrew Scriptures state plainly that, rather than possess immortality, the soul can and does die. "The soul [nephesh] who sins shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4, Ezekiel 18:20).

The Old Testament describes the dead as going to sheol, translated into English as "hell," "pit" or "grave." Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 describes sheol as a place of unconsciousness: "For the living know that they will die; but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished ..."

King David laments that death extinguishes a relationship with God. "For in death there is no remembrance of You; in the grave who will give You thanks?" (Psalm 6:5).

The immortal-soul concept isn't part of the Old Testament, but it began to make inroads into Jewish thought as Jews came in contact with Greek culture. In the first century the Jewish philosopher Philo taught a Platonic concept: "... The death of a man is the separation of his soul from his body ..." (The Works of Philo, translated by C.D. Yonge, 1993, p. 37). Philo followed the Hellenistic view that the soul is freed upon death to an everlasting life of virtue or evil.
Easy-to-Read Version
Israel Will Return Home
14 The Lord will again show his love to Jacob. He will again choose the people of Israel. He will give them their land. Then the non-Israelites[a] will join the Israelites, and both will become one family—Jacob’s family. 2 Those nations will bring the Israelites back to their land. The men and women from the other nations will become slaves to Israel. In the past, those people forced the Israelites to become their slaves. But in the future the Israelites will defeat those nations, and Israel will then rule over them in the Lord’s land. 3 In the past, you were slaves. People forced you to work hard. But the Lord will take away the hard work you were forced to do.

8 You were an evil king,
that you are coming.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those precise words, immortal soul, do not appear in the Bible.

However Christians are given eternal life. What do you think lives eternally?

Show me the scripture where we are to read Jesus was just a man who was bestowed with special abilities by God to perform miracles in his name.
Eternal life is just that - eternal. It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else. The Bible uses the phrase in a positive sense. It is a quality of life that begins on earth and continues in heaven (Romans 6:4).
im·mor·tal
adjective
living forever; never dying or decaying.
"our mortal bodies are inhabited by immortal souls"

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eternal life is just that - eternal. It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else. The Bible uses the phrase in a positive sense. It is a quality of life that begins on earth and continues in heaven (Romans 6:4).
im·mor·tal
adjective
living forever; never dying or decaying.
"our mortal bodies are inhabited by immortal souls"
The thing for me is, Ecclesiastes tells us when we die our flesh returns to the dust from which it sprang. And our soul to God who gave it.

There is no actual death. Our soul is the breath of God.
Soul sleep, the dead know nothing, is true in that sense our being, that "I am" (insert name here), is no more. And shall know nothing more. Because that consciousness, that spirit covering that blends us into this material reality, is gone from it.

Eternal life means just that.:)

Reactions: The Learner

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy-to-Read Version
Israel Will Return Home

8 You were an evil king,
that you are coming.
Yes, Sheol. The grave.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have Jesus mentioning lazarus and the rich man because the pharisees, because of their exposure to other beliefs believed in an immortal soul.
So Lord Jesus LIED in Luke 16 about that place in the Heavenly Paradise? Is that what you are saying??? He may have been giving a 'story' about Lazarus and the rich man, but He would NOT mislead us about that Heavenly place. To infer He was giving a false allegory about Paradise and the great fixed gulf border, is to say Jesus was lying! So if you believe that, then already you are off on the wrong foot, so to speak.

And if you do NOT... believe Lord Jesus in Luke 16 that the existence of that place with hell on one side, and the saved on the other with Abraham, with a great fixed gulf between the two sides, then it means YOU REJECT those things Lord Jesus showed.

(I realize that it's mainly those on man's FALSE DOCTRINE OF 'SOUL SLEEP' that reject what Lord Jesus showed in the Luke 16 chapter about Lazarus and the rich man. So I'm not ignorant as to those people's false ploys.)

Luke 16:22-23
22 And it came to pass, that
the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
KJV

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy-to-Read Version
5 The living know that they will die, but the dead don’t know anything. They have no more reward. People will soon forget them. 6 After people are dead, their love, hate, and jealousy are all gone. And they will never again share in what happens on earth.

Like us, our knowledge is limited to our surroundings and news from others.
You need to keep reading further, like Ecclesiastes 12:5-7.

And the idea that all their memory has perished is about the giant hybrid race which God had destroyed.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well what does Gods Word say, lets look in the Bible:

In Jeremiah 31:26 After this I awoke and looked around, and my sleep was sweet to me. Also in Daniel 2:1 And in the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams, wherewith his spirit was troubled, and his sleep brake from him.
The word used here is shenah corresponding to 8142, now compare:

Daniel 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt.

The word for sleep here is not the same as one sleeping in everyday use. yashen ( from 3462; sleepy: KJV-- asleep, (one out of) sleep slept.

What does sleep mean in this context? The Bible uses this term when speaking of death. The primary verses we find showing the dead have no thoughts or consciousness are:
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, "For the living know they shall die: but the dead know not any thing," and Ecclesiastes 12:7, "then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it." Also Psalm 146:4, "His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish". Or Psalm 115:17, "The dead do not praise the Lord, nor any who go down into silence" or Psalm 6:5 "For in death there is no remembrance of Thee; in the grave who shall give Thee thanks? And of course, there is Ezek. 18:4, "the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

But in the Old Testament we also find:

Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth?"

1 Samuel 3:3 Samuel was laid down to SLEEP;

1 Samuel 28:3 Now SAMUEL was DEAD, and all Israel had lamented him, and BURIED HIM in RAMAH,

Psalm 104:29
Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.

In the book of Job it is stated: "But man dies and is laid away; indeed he breathes his last and where is he?... So man lies down and does not rise. Till the heavens are no more, they will not awake nor be roused from their sleep... If a man dies, shall he live again?" (Job 14:10,12,14a NKJV)

and also what is happening when we are dead:

Deuteronomy 31:16 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

2 Samuel 7:12 - And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.

Job 7:21 And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

1 Kings 1:21 - Otherwise it shall come to pass, when my lord the king shall sleep with his fathers, that I and my son Solomon shall be counted offenders.

Job 7:21 - And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

Psalms 13:3 - Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

Psalms 30:9 "What will you gain from my death? What profit from my going to the grave? Are dead people able to praise you? Can they proclaim your unfailing goodness?

Psalms 76:6 - At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse are cast into a dead sleep.

Isaiah 57:2 Those who live good lives find peace and rest in death.

Jeremiah 51:39 - In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 51:57 - And I will make drunk her princes, and her wise men, her captains, and her rulers, and her mighty men: and they shall sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the King, whose name is the LORD of hosts.

Daniel 12:2 - And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt....

Reactions: Keturah

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the New Testament we see...
Matthew 9:24 - He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

Matthew 27:52-53 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Mark 5:39 - And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

Luke 8:52 - And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.

John 11:11-14 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Act 2:31-32 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Acts 7:59 -60 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 13:36 - For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Ephesians 5:14 - Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

1 Corinthians 15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

1 Corinthians 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

1 Corinthians 15:51 - Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1 Thessalonians 4:13 - But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 - For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 - For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

2 Peter 3:4 - And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

And when we will come out of the grave.

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Acts 4:2
Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

And what Christ himself tells us will happen to those who have died, the resurrection of the just, and the resurrection of damnation for the wicked.

Luke 14:14
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

These text clearly show the soul does not continue on after death or the dead float in spirit bodies and dwell Gods presence. They await the resurrection at the end..

Reactions: Keturah

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well what does Gods Word say, lets look in the Bible:

In Jeremiah 31:26 After this I awoke and looked around, and my sleep was sweet to me. Also in Daniel 2:1 And in the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar Nebuchadnezzar dreamed dreams, wherewith his spirit was troubled, and his sleep brake from him.
The word used here is shenah corresponding to 8142, now compare:

Daniel 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt.

The word for sleep here is not the same as one sleeping in everyday use. yashen ( from 3462; sleepy: KJV-- asleep, (one out of) sleep slept.

What does sleep mean in this context? The Bible uses this term when speaking of death. The primary verses we find showing the dead have no thoughts or consciousness are:
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, "For the living know they shall die: but the dead know not any thing," and Ecclesiastes 12:7, "then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it." Also Psalm 146:4, "His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish". Or Psalm 115:17, "The dead do not praise the Lord, nor any who go down into silence" or Psalm 6:5 "For in death there is no remembrance of Thee; in the grave who shall give Thee thanks? And of course, there is Ezek. 18:4, "the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

But in the Old Testament we also find:

Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth?"

But in the Old Testament we find...
But in the Old Testament we find... and on and on and on, such are those who heed Judaism and NOT The New Testament...

But in The New Testament we find...

Matt 10:28
28 And fear not them which kill the body,
but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him Which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
KJV

That means that "spirit" of Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 is NOT just some idea of a spirit life force that's even in plants and animals. By the above Jesus showed the SOUL is NOT part of our flesh body. And that MUST mean the soul, with that "spirit", goes back to God at flesh death. And it does per Apostle Paul below, with conscious awareness...

2 Cor 5:1-8
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
Now He That hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, Who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
KJV

How can one be absent from the flesh body and be present with The Lord? Per the interpretation from cherry-picked verses from the Old Testament like Hobie's post, that 2 Corinthians 5, and Matthew 10:28 Scripture would be impossible.

Those stuck on the Jew's religion still disregard even Old Testament Scripture which proves them wrong about their false 'soul sleep' tradition...

1 Kings 17:21-22
21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, "O LORD my God, I pray Thee,
let this child's soul come into him again."
22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah;
and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.
KJV

One's soul with one's spirit, departs together when the flesh dies. Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 doesn't mention the 'soul' part, but The New Testament does. And so does that 1 Kings 17 OLD TESTAMENT SCRIPTURE. Thus the Jews don't even follow what the Old Testament reveals either.

Then there's this also revealed in THE NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURE...

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
KJV

1 Peter 4:6
6 For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

That Lord Jesus Christ would do that above, i.e., preach The Gospel to the "spirits in prison", that was OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY...

Isa 42:6-7
6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7 To open the blind eyes,
to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
KJV

Thus the deceived Jews can't even regard Old Testament prophecy on that above event about what Jesus did, showing God's Word has been closed off to them like Apostle Paul said in Romans 11.

You know what stupid idiotic excuse they come up with about the "spirits in prison" event when Jesus preached The Gospel to those "spirits in prison" at His resurrection? They tell the LIE that Jesus didn't really preach The Gospel to those who had died in the flesh, because those "spirits in prison" were actually DEMONS. Jesus was only declaring His Victory over them the deceived 'soul sleepers' claim, those Biblically illiterate try to say. That kind of idea totally... REJECTS those Scriptures of God's Word as written, and that is often what those on the Jew's religion do, even trying to fool you with word fallacies.

What Apostle Peter said in 1 Peter 3 & 4 is that Jesus preached The Gospel ALSO to the 'dead', meaning even those that had died back to Noah's day! The Isaiah 42:6-7 prophecy was about Jesus' 1st coming, and His leading those "spirits" in the Heavenly prison out of darkness of that prison house, and thus the meaning of the 1 Peter 4:6 verse. Is their any actual Scripture proof of this?? YEAH!...

Matt 27:50-53
50 Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after His resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
KJV

Now think about that above for a moment. Do you think those who were 'asleep' actually literally came out of their graves in the ground, and appeared with new flesh bodies? Not per The New Testament and especially per what Apostle Paul showed in 1 Corinthians 15 about the resurrection! The resurrection Paul said is to a "spiritual body"; not to another flesh body!

And did you notice that Matthew 27:53 verse points out those coming out of their graves linked with "after His resurrection", thus pointing to the time of the "spirits in prison" event of Jesus preaching The Gospel to them after He had been resurrected, and leading them out of the heavenly prison house?

Truly, The NEW TESTAMENT Scriptures enlighten many Truths only hinted at in the Old Testament Books.

Last edited:
  • Love

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe when we die we are ushered into the presence of God. Here is my reasoning as to why there is no "soul sleep" upon death.

Absent the body, present with the Lord. (Apostle Paul) 2 Corinthians 5:8

It is appointed for men to die, then comes the judgment. Hebrews 9:27

Today you will be with me in paradise. (Jesus to the thief on the cross)

The beheaded saints under the altar of God pleading with Him to avenge them. They are not in soul sleep. (Revelation 6:10)

The story of the rich man and Lazarus. They were conscious after death. Perhaps this parable should not be taken literally, mind, I'm just throwing it out there.

What do you think? Please use scripture to justify your position. God bless!
The scriptures tell us there is no soul sleep. And there have been many NDE's that confirm that concept.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures tell us there is no soul sleep. And there have been many NDE's that confirm that concept.
If that were true there would be no passages referring to the dead asleep. But there are.

John 5,Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

What we do find in the Bible is the passage that says, no one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. (John 3:13)

But then there is the passage that tells us when we die the silver cord is broken and the body returns to the dust from which it sprang, and the soul to God who gave it.

It seems to be a matter of which of the different versions one wishes to believe.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If that were true there would be no passages referring to the dead asleep. But there are.
Well--

Yes, believers in Jesus Christ go immediately to heaven when they die. By “heaven,” we mean a real place of comfort and blessedness where God dwells. Of course, the bodies of believers remain on earth, awaiting the resurrection, but their souls/spirits go to be with the Lord (see 2 Corinthians 5:8).

The biblical teaching that believers immediately go to heaven when they die differs from what some groups teach. According to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, faithful Jehovah’s Witnesses who die remain in an unconscious state of “soul sleep” until the resurrection. At the resurrection, Jehovah “remembers” them, and they are brought back to life.

The doctrine of soul sleep is also taught by Seventh-day Adventists. The Roman Catholic Church teaches that all believers, Catholic and non-Catholic, who die enter a place of punishment, purgatory, to atone for the sins not covered by Jesus’ sacrificial death on the cross. Once these sins have been sufficiently punished, the faithful, now purified, may enter paradise. Proponents of both views make seemingly good arguments in favor of their beliefs, but neither the doctrine of soul sleep nor the teaching of purgatory is biblical.

As our Lord Jesus suffered on the cross, another condemned prisoner sought forgiveness. Our Lord’s response to the repentant thief’s request refutes both the doctrine of soul sleep and the belief in purgatory:

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:39–43, ESV).

Jesus did not say, “After a determined time of misery and suffering, you will be with me in paradise”; neither did He say, “After an extended period of unconscious stupor, you will regain sentience and be with me in paradise.” According to the promise of Jesus, the repentant thief would join his Savior in paradise that very day.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6–8, ESV).

Here, the apostle Paul did not say to be away from the body is to cease consciousness until the resurrection. And he did not say to be out of the body was to be at home in purgatory.

In Jesus’ story of the rich man and Lazarus, the beggar died, and “the angels carried him to Abraham’s side” (Luke 16:22). This seems to have been an immediate event, with no lapse of time between Lazarus’ death and his being picked up by the angels. In John’s vision of heaven, he sees “under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained” (Revelation 6:9). As these believers in heaven await vengeance and the resurrection of their bodies, they converse with the Lord. It seems that, as soon as they were martyred, they were in heaven.

At the death of a believer, his or her disembodied spirit immediately enters the joyful presence of our Lord Jesus. At the rapture, the saint’s spirit joins his or her resurrected body—a glorified body impervious to the ravages of aging, illness, disease, suffering, and death (1 Corinthians 15:42–53). At the close of Jesus’ millennial reign, heaven as it is passes away, and God unveils the New Jerusalem, our eternal home (Revelation 21:1–4). Our present mortal bodies are not fit for eternity, but our new bodies will never become ill, grow old, or die. We shall live gloriously with Him in perfect bodies throughout the endless ages of eternity.

With this end in mind, the apostle Paul broke out in joyous apostrophe: “‘O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?’ The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:55–57, ESV

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Many more Scriptures that at death, believers will be with the Lord Christ Jesus=what a hope we have!

That's my belief, and I believe this is Scripturally correct.
Johann.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 5,Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

What we do find in the Bible is the passage that says, no one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. (John 3:13)

But then there is the passage that tells us when we die the silver cord is broken and the body returns to the dust from which it sprang, and the soul to God who gave it.

It seems to be a matter of which of the different versions one wishes to believe.
The Rich Man and Lazarus makes it clear though. The term sleep is used to identify the state of the body, as if it is asleep. The spirit separates from the body at death and we go on to heaven or hell.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Daniel 12
English Standard Version

The Time of the End​

12 “At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above;[a] and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. 4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”
5 Then I, Daniel, looked, and behold, two others stood, one on this bank of the stream and one on that bank of the stream. 6 And someone said to the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream,[b] “How long shall it be till the end of these wonders?” 7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream; he raised his right hand and his left hand toward heaven and swore by him who lives forever that it would be for a time, times, and half a time, and that when the shattering of the power of the holy people comes to an end all these things would be finished. 8 I heard, but I did not understand. Then I said, “O my lord, what shall be the outcome of these things?” 9 He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are shut up and sealed until the time of the end. 10 Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and be refined, but the wicked shall act wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand. 11 And from the time that the regular burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be 1,290 days. 12 Blessed is he who waits and arrives at the 1,335 days. 13 But go your way till the end. And you shall rest and shall stand in your allotted place at the end of the days.”

Footnotes​

1. Daniel 12:3 Hebrew the expanse; compare Genesis 1:6–8
  2. Daniel 12:6 Or who was upstream; also verse 7

Daniel 11

Hosea 1

English Standard Version (ESV)
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Also, the great cloud of witnesses. That cloud must be comprised of humans

Reactions: Johann