Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Tongues in the OT were symbols of foreign occupation and exile. But the gift was for the writing of the NT and a sign of the looming destruction of Jerusalem.
you sound so sure dave lol. But hey at least we found tongues OT.
gotta go, lots more steps on that ladder tho ok
don't be convinced you have nailed the gift yet imo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So you were a mindless babbler?
um right above this you invoke "heavenly languages" dave?
anyway milllions of ppl do it I guess, it comes in and out of fashion, like Rapture, and comparing the rises with the particular times is quite interesting btw. Well maybe not so much for a Pent but for you

D

Dave L

um right above this you invoke "heavenly languages" dave?
anyway milllions of ppl do it I guess, it comes in and out of fashion, like Rapture, and comparing the rises with the particular times is quite interesting btw. Well maybe not so much for a Pent but for you
You can get legally stoned that way.

D

Dave L

The apostles got the gift without hands and I highly doubt they were able to lay hands on the thousands at Pentecost.
Only those whom they laid their hands on spoke in tongues besides the two outpourings.

D

Dave L

you sound so sure dave lol. But hey at least we found tongues OT.
gotta go, lots more steps on that ladder tho ok
don't be convinced you have nailed the gift yet imo
That's what it says..........

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19

Thankfully there were no Baptist around to tell them what they were doing wrong

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Only those whom they laid their hands on spoke in tongues besides the two outpourings.

But tongues are for the unbeliever. As quoted above: the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19
Its for teaching. Its The ability for someone to hear the Gospel when there is a language barrier. Many think its a divine prayer language but I havn't been able to find that in scripture.

D

Dave L

But tongues are for the unbeliever. As quoted above: the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19
Its for teaching. Its The ability for someone to hear the Gospel when there is a language barrier. Many think its a divine prayer language but I havn't been able to find that in scripture.
This is not correct. Nowhere does scripture support this.