Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well I've heard of people going into countries to teach not knowing the native language and being able to either learn the language very quick or be able to communicate clearly. To me that is a gift.
stay in one house while you are there and eat what they feed you, and you'll find out right quick
I guess :D

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 14:22 KJV
[22] Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

They are for a sign yes. Any unbeliever would see it as just that. A sign of the Holy Spirit giving someone the ability to teach in an unknown language.

D

Dave L

Well I've heard of people going into countries to teach not knowing the native language and being able to either learn the language very quick or be able to communicate clearly. To me that is a gift.
This is not biblical tongues. Not even close. Tongues were not human languages. They were heavenly languages when interpreted became human languages.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 28:11-12 KJV
[11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. [12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Tecarta BibleThey were for a sign to the Jews. See what he tells us here.

Matthew 6:7 KJV
[7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do : for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Tecarta BibleVain repetition means to stammer or stutter. That’s what we hear today.

Reactions: Dave L

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is not biblical tongues. Not even close. Tongues were not human languages. They were heavenly languages when interpreted became human languages.
God gave each person the ability to understand in his and her language. The outpouring on Pentecost is not the same as Paul describes to the Corinthians. Were there interpreters at Pentecost? No, everyone understood without interpretation. Paul said to the Corinthians an interpreter must be present. Different kind of tongues. If God wants you to teach, you will, no matter the language.

Reactions: Willie T
D

Dave L

God gave each person the ability to understand in his and her language. The outpouring on Pentecost is not the same as Paul describes to the Corinthians. Were there interpreters at Pentecost? No, everyone understood without interpretation. Paul said to the Corinthians an interpreter must be present. Different kind of tongues. If God wants you to teach, you will, no matter the language.
But tongues ceased with the Apostles who passed the gifts around through their hands.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
you should maybe stop saying that until you are sure
Did you know what you were saying when speaking in tongues? If not, it wasn't tongues but mindless babbling.
well again Dave, we are restricted to only the Tongues that we can see with yur two little peepers see, and imo doing that first got me to here. Man's sense and God's nonsense surely sounds fam? We have a perfectly logical reaction to glosssololia imo dave, me too, but they are as central and alive today as the Tower of Babel ok, the xenoglossy that we have dismissed also bc we cannot see it with your eyes included

D

Dave L

you should maybe stop saying that until you are surewell again Dave, we are restricted to only the Tongues that we can see with yur two little peepers see, and imo doing that first got me to here. Man's sense and God's nonsense surely sounds fam? We have a perfectly logical reaction to glosssololia imo dave, me too, but they are as central and alive today as the Tower of Babel ok, the xenoglossy that we have dismissed also bc we cannot see it with your eyes included
So you were a mindless babbler?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So you were a mindless babbler?
according to man's sense certainly...
Dave, you aren't even asking the right questions bro, and if we need to review God's nonsense this is prolly a great place.

All NT is OT based right, where's Speaking in Tongues OT dave?
Anyone

D

Dave L

Dave, you aren't even asking the right questions bro, and if we need to review God's nonsense this is prolly a great place.

All NT is OT based right, where's Speaking in Tongues OT dave?
Anyone?
It was not needed. Tongues became instrumental in writing the NT.

D

Dave L

It's a riddle dave, with a payoff, and your answer will be better than my answer ok.
So you pls show me where
Tongues in the OT were symbols of foreign occupation and exile. But the gift was for the writing of the NT and a sign of the looming destruction of Jerusalem.