Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When somebody is speaking in a tongue, does he go into a trance

If one is "in a trance" when speaking in tongues, then the manifestation is satanic in nature, not God given. (it happens).

The Gift of tongues from the holy spirit, is simply a flow of words into a person's MIND from the Holy Spirit, which they then SPEAK, as long as they flow in. When the flow stops, then Stop speaking.

Do women do it?

Of course, Gal 3:28

And what exactly is the point of it, what's it FOR?

Several different things -

Communicating to another person, who's language you don't know.

Self edification

Experience in speaking forth messages from the Holy Spirit that flow into your mind (Tongues, Interpretation, Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, and Prophesy all operate the same way).

Spiritual praise and worship.

A "trumpet sound" that gets a meeting prepared for the interpretation to follow.

Reactions: Pearl

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one is "in a trance" when speaking in tongues, then the manifestation is satanic in nature, not God given. (it happens).

The Gift of tongues from the holy spirit, is simply a flow of words into a person's MIND from the Holy Spirit, which they then SPEAK, as long as they flow in. When the flow stops, then Stop speaking.

Of course, Gal 3:28

Several different things -

Communicating to another person, who's language you don't know.

Self edification

Experience in speaking forth messages from the Holy Spirit that flow into your mind (Tongues, Interpretation, Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, and Prophesy all operate the same way).

Spiritual praise and worship.

A "trumpet sound" that gets a meeting prepared for the interpretation to follow.

I generally agree with you, Bob, but not in this case.

You said "The Gift of tongues from the holy spirit, is simply a flow of words into a person's MIND from the Holy Spirit, which they then SPEAK, as long as they flow in."

Paul said, "If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive."

And I don't understand your reference to Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Of course it's true, but I don't understand why you brought it up.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know a christian street preacher who speaks in tongues but it hasn't helped him one bit, he's got two failed marriages behind him, he's been hauled up court twice for not paying his council tax, and his gas and electricity has been cut off at various times for not paying the bills because he's a disorganised mess who won't lift a finger to get some discipline into his life, preferring instead to fatalistically put himself in the hands of God 100%.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't need a tutor.
Furthermore YOU GUIDED or you teach them to with repetitive hogwash like Andrew Womack and others do?

I do not know what Womack does… But the nice thing about speaking in tongues, I don’t have to do anything when it comes to the action thereof.
I instruct those about accepting Jesus Christ and making Him lord in your life ….I go in-depth from the Word… on the benefits of tongues…. accentuating the benefit of tongues in private prayer life, which are voluminous. I instruct them to not think about what they are speaking (that is Gods business) I have them get quiet take a few deep breaths and to thank God for speaking the wonderful works of God. And to open their mouth and speak………. And God does the rest…. the words will be there because it is believing action…. and God never fails.

I live by what the word tells me illuminated by the Holy Spirit. I believe ALL men are liars and God is the truth !

If you did…. you would have no conflict with what I shared…
You live by what you believe, and you believe what you have been taught and what you are comfortable with from whatever sources outside of the Word of God….which is your prerogative.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d wrote that he believes ALL men are liars, then he himself must also be a liar. QED

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a christian street preacher who speaks in tongues but it hasn't helped him one bit, he's got two failed marriages behind him, he's been hauled up court twice for not paying his council tax, and his gas and electricity has been cut off at various times for not paying the bills because he's a disorganised mess who won't lift a finger to get some discipline into his life, preferring instead to fatalistically put himself in the hands of God 100%.

Might not be genuine tongues, i.e. true utterances of the Holy Spirit. Tongues can be faked, and there are many who do so to make themselves seem more "spiritual" or "anointed."

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meaningless. Provide clarification.
I was thinking of this:

Ps 12:6,

The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
I think that with that has a ton of meaning. We ought to be careful what we call things. If God says something is a gift, then we ought to call it a gift. If He says something is a manifestation, the we ought to call it a manifestation. How else can we be on the same page with God?

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't know if that preacher might be in even more trouble if he didn't speak in tongues.

1 Cor 13:1,

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
It says the person speaking without love becomes a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. Nothing wrong with the tongues though. It's the person who has the problem.

Tongues, or any of the other manifestations, does not take away one's free will and make them behave correctly. Read Romans chapter 7. Paul had many problems with his flesh, but that didn't stop him from speaking in tongues more than everybody else (1 Cor 4:18).

The other thing is that we ought not to judge the truth of God's word by anything people do. People come and go but the word of God lives and abides forever. We shouldn't develop our rules of faith and practice by what people may or may not do. The scriptures and nothing but the scriptures ought to be our guide.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking of this:

The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
I think that with that has a ton of meaning. We ought to be careful what we call things. If God says something is a gift, then we ought to call it a gift. If He says something is a manifestation, the we ought to call it a manifestation. How else can we be on the same page with God?

Deleted. See next post.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know what Womack does… But the nice thing about speaking in tongues, I don’t have to do anything when it comes to the action thereof.
I instruct those about accepting Jesus Christ and making Him lord in your life ….I go in-depth from the Word… on the benefits of tongues…. accentuating the benefit of tongues in private prayer life, which are voluminous. I instruct them to not think about what they are speaking (that is Gods business) I have them get quiet take a few deep breaths and to thank God for speaking the wonderful works of God. And to open their mouth and speak………. And God does the rest…. the words will be there because it is believing action…. and God never fails.

If you did…. you would have no conflict with what I shared…
You live by what you believe, and you believe what you have been taught and what you are comfortable with from whatever sources outside of the Word of God….which is your prerogative.

You presume and assume a lot to know me so little.
I am thankful I will stand before Jesus with what I am knowing he will stand with me before the Father and declare " yes,this is my child" !

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what I referenced.
I don't need a tutor.
Furthermore YOU GUIDED or you teach them to with repetitive hogwash like Andrew Womack and others do?

I live by what the word tells me illuminated by the Holy Spirit. I believe ALL men are liars and God is the truth !

Oh little tiny brained men that you are who cannot read nor quote correctly but prove my point that men are known to be a lie but God is true.

Don't bother quoting me again as I'll not have to see you don't know what you are saying !

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know a christian street preacher who speaks in tongues but it hasn't helped him one bit...
He did not have the genuine spiritual GIFT of speaking foreign languages supernaturally. It is noteworthy that the only extensive discussion on tongues is in 1 Corinthians 14, and that is essentially to correct the abuses in the Corinthian church. None of the other apostles even touch on tongues.

Every Christian would love to speak another foreign language without having to go through the agony of learning it. Especially if it is Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Where the letters are basically ideograms. That would make sharing the Gospel with non-English speakers a delight. But is that what is actually happening? Missionaries spend years and years learning foreign languages. So that should tell us something.

Reactions: Nancy

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

And what book, chapter, and verse can we read that this is not a gift? I believe tongues is a "phenomenon" coming down from God and therefore, is a gift!

I believe tongues must first be defined before we can talk about it

Many "Christians" don't really know how to read the Bible cause they read it like it's an ordinary book instead of a spiritual book, and so make wrong conclusions.

I believe, this "tongue" phenomenon was given because the Bible was not yet completed and not because there was chaos among the women at the church of Corinth and that's the reason Paul forbade the women to keep silent in the churches? Has anyone here ever wonder why speaking in tongues only occurred at the church of Corinth and never at the churches of Rome, Ephesus, Galatia.... etc,?
Well, it could be the answer lies in 1 Co. 14:26?

Reactions: Nancy and L.A.M.B.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We ought to be careful what we call things. If God says something is a gift, then we ought to call it a gift.
If eternal life is a gift, and it is, then so is speaking in tongues:

"23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift (charisma) of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

"28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts (charisma) of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts (charisma) of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire the greater gifts (charisma)." 1 Corinthians 12:28-31

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I generally agree with you, Bob, but not in this case.

You said "The Gift of tongues from the holy spirit, is simply a flow of words into a person's MIND from the Holy Spirit, which they then SPEAK, as long as they flow in."

Paul said, "If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive."

Which is true. your "Mind" isn't creating anything that simply "flows through" from the Holy SPirit. IF your "MIND" GETS productive, then it's no longer a SPIRITUAL enablment, but your OWN thoughts/paradigms coming out. We see some of that too, in phony Interpretations/Prophesies.

And I don't understand your reference to Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Of course it's true, but I don't understand why you brought it up.

The question was asked "Do Women do it?" Sure they do, and Gal 2:28 gives a deeper look into the "Sexual issue" about ministry. It's one reason why Wesleyan based denominations,and the AG routinely ordain female Senior Pastors (about 10% in the AG - down from about 16%).

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not have the genuine spiritual GIFT of speaking foreign languages supernaturally. It is noteworthy that the only extensive discussion on tongues is in 1 Corinthians 14, and that is essentially to correct the abuses in the Corinthian church. None of the other apostles even touch on tongues.

Every Christian would love to speak another foreign language without having to go through the agony of learning it. Especially if it is Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Where the letters are basically ideograms. That would make sharing the Gospel with non-English speakers a delight. But is that what is actually happening? Missionaries spend years and years learning foreign languages. So that should tell us something.

Allthough in the EARLY Pentecostal movement, missionaries were sent out believing that the Holy Spirit WOULD ENABLE THEM to speak languages that they didn't know (and in fact it DOES HAPPEN evem today in isolated instances).

Of course, IT DIDN'T WORK, and the missionaries got their posteriors handed to them, and returned in defeat.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking of this:

Simply by Speaking the Words that the HOLY SPIRIT gives us to say accurately and without personal enhancement, and not engaging in meaningless "Word Games" about what the genre should be called.