Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is more provocation going on here than is clearly manifest, Sis. ;)

Barn, I love Enoch, and at his age should have grown out of belittling what someone says, by name calling it nonsense and rubbish. (Spare the rod, spoil the child.)

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are dodging like a kid in grade school and you know it, LoL!

Just keep in mind that in order to have a proper doctrine, you have to take all the verses regarding it into consideration. Otherwise you end up settling for an interpretation that is still left wanting.

I'll leave you alone. Just wanted to show you that I don't think your interpretation fully proves itself out.

God bless, and thanks for the polite conversation : )
- H
So this is your last post, yet another completely lacking any substance? Perfect!

Your "God bless" rings very hollow with me. I think we've not even come close to a "polite conversation." I think every post you've written to me mentions something I know or think when you have no idea about what I know or think. I of course forgive you, but you need to examine yourself and how you treat your brothers and sisters in Christ.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is your last post, yet another completely lacking any substance? Perfect!

Your "God bless" rings very hollow with me. I think we've not even come close to a "polite conversation." I think every post you've written to me mentions something I know or think when you have no idea about what I know or think. I of course forgive you, but you need to examine yourself and how you treat your brothers and sisters in Christ.

Why didn't you ever respond to me? We could have had a nice conversation, and I know a lot on tongues.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Betrayed by an intimate friend ….beaten and tortured for almost 40 hours …and He has the heart and love to forgive ….And I have trouble when someone tried to jack me around….

Jesus Christ was a living example of the love of God in manifestation…
Jesus was a perfect image of Yahweh in every way. It's a hard act to follow for sure, but we keep trying.

I know very few who understand that Jesus was tortured for 40 hours. We're you ever involved with the Way Biblical Research & Teaching Ministry or one of it's later offshoots? Those are the only folks I've ever heard that understand the final week of Jesus' life, including Judas being present when Jesus made his first appearance to the 11 Apostles who were locked behind closed doors.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn't you ever respond to me? We could have had a nice conversation, and I know a lot on tongues.
I'm so sorry. I didn't realize I ignored you. It was certainly not my intention. If you would be so kind as to refer me to the post I didn't answer, I'll rectify the situation real pronto like!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe there to be four basic manifestations of the gift of tongues.

· Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

· Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (Romans 8:26)

· Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.

· Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.

· I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift .

· And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift.

I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views but I firmly believe them.
I think you have a good teacher!

Reactions: Pearl

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Then why write this OP? What is your purpose/motive? To let us know YOU think you have a better understanding of scriptures? Let me assure you, you do not!
I'll tell you at the end of this post why I believe your theology is flawed.
So you are telling me that YOU have a better understanding of scripture? OK.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was a perfect image of Yahweh in every way. It's a hard act to follow for sure, but we keep trying.

I know very few who understand that Jesus was tortured for 40 hours. We're you ever involved with the Way Biblical Research & Teaching Ministry or one of it's later offshoots? Those are the only folks I've ever heard that understand the final week of Jesus' life, including Judas being present when Jesus made his first appearance to the 11 Apostles who were locked behind closed doors.

That made me curious about the timing of the death of Judas. Matthew says it was before Jesus was crucified.

When morning came, all the chief priests and elders of the people plotted against Jesus to put Him to death. 2 And when they had bound Him, they led Him away and delivered Him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.”

And they said, “What is that to us? You see to it!

5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

I don't think just because Matthew counts the disciples, 11, and John does not that we should conclude that John's "disciples" were not just 11, because at the time, that is all that were left.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That made me curious about the timing of the death of Judas. Matthew says it was before Jesus was crucified.

When morning came, all the chief priests and elders of the people plotted against Jesus to put Him to death. 2 And when they had bound Him, they led Him away and delivered Him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.”

And they said, “What is that to us? You see to it!

5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

I don't think just because Matthew counts the disciples, 11, and John does not that we should conclude that John's "disciples" were not just 11, because at the time, that is all that were left.
Matthew doesn't explicitly say Judas hung himself right away.

Luke 24:33,

And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
John 20:24,

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
As far as I can tell, these verses are speaking about the same event. Since there were eleven there and Thomas was gone, Judas must have been there.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
As far as I can tell, these verses are speaking about the same event. Since there were eleven there and Thomas was gone, Judas must have been there.

This is a prime example of eisegesis!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll print these and see if I can make sense of the timing. Interesting for sure.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so sorry. I didn't realize I ignored you. It was certainly not my intention. If you would be so kind as to refer me to the post I didn't answer, I'll rectify the situation real pronto like!

I went back and looked and I had mentioned your name. I also just added your name to one I'd like for you to see.

I like you because you make me think, and have to do research. We are kindred souls. LOL

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your "God bless" rings very hollow with me.

It's not, as I said nothing in a bad Spirit. I'm only showing you where you have no real answers, as a means of getting you to think.

If it is impossible for someone to disagree with you and wish you well at the same time, isn't that a strange thing to believe as well?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think every post you've written to me mentions something I know or think when you have no idea about what I know or think.

Yeah, I don't think this should be excused, now that I'm looking at it. Rich, what transpired is that I asked you four or five times a very simple question with the specific intent of ASKING to know what you think.

Instead of answering me, you dodged repeatedly. If you want me to know what you think, how about just answering the question?

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are telling me that YOU have a better understanding of scripture?

I don't know everything about Scripture, but in this case, yes I have a better understanding than you, that's obvious!

At least I've learned through John 8:24 that Jesus is the Great I AM, in the Old Testament whereas you have not, and by not believing that Jesus is God you place yourself in danger of eternal death!

One more thing, you only comment on posts that you think you have a grasp on. I know so, because you've elected to evade post #96 which I addressed to you.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? And you are a Christian?
No one in this lifetime have a perfect understanding of Scripture!!!

1 Corinthians 13:9-10 reads:
09) For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10) But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Another one bites the dust!!!

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl,

ADDENDUM

You speak in tongues but at least I know tongues is NOT for today nor for a Christian

1 Corinthians 14:22 reads:
"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, NOT TO THEM THAT BELIEVE, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe."

Go and dwell on this passage! Lol

Reactions: Dropship

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl,

ADDENDUM

You speak in tongues but at least I know tongues is NOT for today nor for a Christian

1 Corinthians 14:22 reads:
"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, NOT TO THEM THAT BELIEVE, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe."

Go and dwell on this passage! Lol

Tongues is a negative sign to unbelievers, Jun. It confirms them in their unbelief. That is why the next verse says they will think you are crazy. Mockers of tongues today, just like in the first century, confirm they are either unsaved or uninformed.

As for tongues being not for today, they are part of the New Covenant as are all the gifts, signs and wonders of the Spirit. Nothing changes inside a covenant as long as the covenant is in effect. So you are saying you are under a different covenant than the one Jesus made with us. Good luck with that unbelief you got going there.