Speaking In Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(TallMan;14174)
No, to speak in an unlearned language that edifies you spiritually is a New testament wonder, indeed it is the sign of entry into that covenant.No man can tame the tongue, it defiles the body, fitting then that God should tame it to speak of Him when our body becomes his temple.It shows you have entered the realm where all things are possible.Some scripture:psalm:72:18: Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.Psalm:136:4: To him who alone doeth great wonders- some say "satanists and other religions speak in tongues" but they don't, they may get all hyped up in frenzied worship like the prophets of Baal and they may say un-intelligible things but this isn't real language and it certainly doesn't edify them !2Thess. 2:9: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,:10: And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.Then "Jehovah's Witnesses" say they heard of someone somewhere (they can never give details) who spoke blasphemy in tongues, but this suggestion is blasphemy.
I notice you are very limited in scripture, basically "tongues" is your "vice." Where is the gospel? "For I determined not to know anything, except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(TallMan;14174)
No, to speak in an unlearned language that edifies you spiritually is a New testament wonder, indeed it is the sign of entry into that covenant.No man can tame the tongue, it defiles the body, fitting then that God should tame it to speak of Him when our body becomes his temple.It shows you have entered the realm where all things are possible.Some scripture:psalm:72:18: Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.Psalm:136:4: To him who alone doeth great wonders- some say "satanists and other religions speak in tongues" but they don't, they may get all hyped up in frenzied worship like the prophets of Baal and they may say un-intelligible things but this isn't real language and it certainly doesn't edify them !2Thess. 2:9: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,:10: And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.Then "Jehovah's Witnesses" say they heard of someone somewhere (they can never give details) who spoke blasphemy in tongues, but this suggestion is blasphemy.
I notice we can be very limited in scripture, basically "tongues" alone can be a "vice," since it is the least in gifts. Where is the gospel? "For I determined not to know anything, except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." For a woman to give birth is "wondrous." How unscriptural to think that tongues is spoken of (alone, benefit of the doubt) in this text. Although I do not see any evidence of tongues. ... For a child to take his or her first step is wondrous. For the earth to revolve around the sun is wondrous. For God to convict the sinner of sin is wondrous. For a soul to be saved is wondrous.... May God have mercy on our unwondrous souls.

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(setfree;23458)
Was there an interpreter on the day of Pentecost?
Yes, many "explained" (diermeneuo) in the language of the same native language of who were listening. Intended to be redundant. Thanks,Jake

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Who did the explaining? These were unbelievers listening to the disciples declaring the wonderful works of God.

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(setfree;23460)
Who did the explaining? These were unbelievers listening to the disciples declaring the wonderful works of God.
The ones who "explained" of course. Those who declared the word of God in many languages. When you are in the congregation do you need someone next to you to interpret what you hear, or does the Holy Spirit do the same? .... A "hyperbole" is indeed given by you dear child of God.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Pariah,I did not mean a second salvation as you implied. I forgot my comma. I was repeating myself to say salvation is the door into the Kingdom.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
So you are saying that the ones speaking in tongues also did the interpreting. My Bible says that they heard in there own language. The unbelievers did not have an interpretation because they understood in there own language. Where do you read that there was an interpretation?

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
setfree
What was spoken did not need to be explained,for all who were present heard it in their own language,that was the evidence of the Holy Spirit.Let me also add that this will not happen again until the elect are delivered up to satan as the anti christMark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]." When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.Acts 2:17 "And it shall come to pass in the last days,' saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams:"Acts 2:18 "And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy:"Acts 2:19 "And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:"Acts 2:20 "The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:"Acts 2:21 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.' "When the sons and daughter speak, it will be heard in every language and dialect in the world. This will not come from the mind of those people, but those people shall be willing witnesses that allow God to speak directly through them to the people. Thus the true gospel of Christ will be spoken. These trials will be made public to the world, and it will be as the two churches of Revelation 2:9; and 3:9 taught, and it is important that you know exactly what they did teach.Those churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia taught about the synagogue of Satan, about those that claimed to be of God, of Judah, but lied and were not. These churches taught how you would know and identify who the Kenites were. Those Kenites claimed to be of Judah [Jews] but were a bunch of liars, who in fact were nothing more than the sons and daughters of Satan. They were members of the synagogue of Satan, they are the Kenites that are taking over the entire religious community, and it is time to wake up. We will be delivered up into their synagogues and tried before them. This is part of God's plan, whereby God can speak through you by the Holy Spirit.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
setfree
So the tongues speaking in Corinthians is different than the day of Pentecost?
Yes it was different"Cloven tongues" are many different languages, and the time it is spoken is when one filled with the Holy Spirit speaks. There will be no confusion to anyone as to what is said, for everyone that hears will understand in his or her own language. The Chinese, Spanish and English listeners could standing be side by side, and each would hear the words spoken in their native language. That is the cloven tongue of the Holy Spirit. This is something entirely different than what Paul is speaking of here in I Corinthians 14. When the "cloven tongue" goes out in all directions it is understood with clarity no matter what language you are in. However here in I Corinthians 14 Paul was referring to one that was speaking in a language whereby the listeners did not understand what was being said to them.So one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is to be able to learn another tongue or language than you were brought up with, so that you can teach someone who is not of your language. There are many neighborhoods that have their common language other than English right here in America. There are Spanish neighborhoods, Chinese, and so on, and if you were to go into those people and present the gospel in English, many of them simply would not understand what you are saying. The reason that it is saying that if you do go out and speak in a place where everyone is of another language then only God would understand; is that only God and the Spirit of God understands all languages. He caused the confusion into the languages at the tower of Babel, and when the true tongue of the Holy Spirit is spoken, it will be as it was at Pentecost. This tongue shall be spoken again when the Elect are brought up to give account of themselves, as recorded in Mark 13:11. When the Holy Spirit's tongue goes forth, every person around the world will listen to it and understand it at the same time and in the very dialect of their neighborhood. This is what is called the "cloven tongue". The "cloven tongue" needs no interpreter for it comes directly from the Holy Spirit.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
So the tongues spoken by Cornelius, certain disciples Acts 19:1-7, This was the cloven tongues? They spoke and everyone heard them in there language. Or did they speak a language they did not learn?

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
(n2thelight;23357)
Bottom line: Talking in Tongues is not of the Holy Spirit, but is rather of evil spirits deceiving the speaker.Study written by Nick Goggin athttp://biblestudysite.com/
Unfortunately what gets lost in this is the Holy Spirit. I trust in him and so do other believers. Evil spirits are real. So is false teaching. That does not mean that all teaching that you disagree with is false and that whatever you disagree with comes from an evil spirit. Paul spoke in tongues. Many others do as well. Most of them use it in private and for no other purpose but to glorify God and to enrich their prayer life. This does not benefit the enemy in any way.What does benefit the enemy is when we denounce each other are produce division. This should not be a divisive issue. It is meant to be a blessing.Those of you who speak in tongues need to realize that we are all one in Christ and we are all unique. Each person is gifted and blessed differently. Those who speak in tongues need to be respectful of those who do not. They should not be disdainful of others or look at them as second class in any way.Those who do not speak in tongues need to loosen up a bit and realize that others' experience does not have to mirror their own. We are all different and special. They also have to be confident that they are not less because they have not been blessed in this way.If this was not the case, the person with the gift of prophesy would look down on the person with the gift of tongues and say to them that since Paul said it was the least of the gifts that they were superior. They would then stop using the gift of tongues and would feel ashamed. This would be a mistake. We should never quench the Holy Spirit.1 John 4: 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.20 For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.John is appealing for unity and love. We need to respect each other's differences, including their traditions, practices and the different ways that we came to know Christ. What is for one person is not for another. What you do not desire for yourself should not be made into a universal truth for others to follow and the opposite is true as well.Romans 12: 3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. One thing is true. Do not ascribe what comes from God to evil spirits. You do this at your peril. I certainly would tread very carefully here and be very certain of myself before I posted such comments. Blessings,Dunamite

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Dunamite, I needed that post! Thank you! I was beginning to doubt some things and the scriptures you quoted confimed what I needed in my spirit.

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
(setfree;23579)
Dunamite, I needed that post! Thank you! I was beginning to doubt some things and the scriptures you quoted confimed what I needed in my spirit.
You are most welcome. Isn't it amazing the way scripture works and blesses? It can also be abused to divide and produce discord. The Holy Spirit speaks to us directly and we know in our heart when something does not resonate, but sometimes we cannot retrieve the right passages to back up what the Holy Spirit has been telling us in our hearts. That is why God gave us koininia and through the fellowship of other believers we are stronger than we can be on our own. Thank you to all the moderators and people who keep boards like this one up and running. It is a very valuable ministry.Blessings,Dunamite

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Dunamite
One thing is true. Do not ascribe what comes from God to evil spirits. You do this at your peril. I certainly would tread very carefully here and be very certain of myself before I posted such comments.
Thanks for your concern,but according to the Word,if what people speak today is the tongues of the Holy Spirit I would understand every word,Ive heard a lot of babbling,and understood not one syllable,with that said I stand by my post 100%.What is important in speaking with the tongues of the Holy Spirit is that everybody understood everything that was spoken. There was no confusion, or strange sounding mutterings, and the subject that was spoken was given to all individuals with equal understanding no matter what race, or tongue they spoke in, for it was understood in the exact dialect of that individual. If you belong to a church that demands that you imitate such a thing, that is up to you and your conscience. However, if you do try to do it, ask yourself, Who is understanding what I am saying? That is the key to knowing if it is of the Holy Spirit. Those listening in the streets of Jerusalem were not Christians, but devout Jews [unbelieving Christians and completely devoted to the law]. What is important is that you are sincere in what ever you do. The Holy Spirit usually can read in a person by their words and by a person's actions, and how they react to those things around them. We are not to judge a person's sincerity in whatever they do without discernment. Without the Holy Spirit, you cannot discern evil spirits, and this is important for that is what we will be fighting against in these final days before Christ's return. Be sincere in what you do. I Corinthians 12:4 "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit."Though there are many different gifts that are placed within each Christian, there is only one Holy Spirit of God. There are many evil spirit that are from Satan, and there are also many lying and deceiving spirits. It is a lot easier to listen to Satan's spirits and be deceived when you have no discernment of the spirits. It is because of this that discernment is important, for you are led by the Spirit when you seek out the instruction with the Word of God. The Holy Spirit will never go against God's Word, and when there is a conflict between what a spirit has said and what the Word of God says, then the spirit you have been listening to is not of God. Evil spirits or demonics know God's Word also but they twist the truth, just like their leader Satan twists the truth to make it a lie. Many times the listening to evil spirits can give you such a thrill and warm glow inside that you feel that they just have to be of God, when in fact evil spirits will tell you whatever it takes to win you over. Satan and his demonics want to win you into their camp. Just as much as there are diversities of gifts, we are to educate ourselves concerning those gifts. The word "tongues" is "languages", and God give many the ability to understand more languages then one. We all have our basic family language from birth that we were taught from our home, and the other languages must be learned for the same basic level of understanding. The great commission is to take the gospel of Christ into the whole world. There is just one problem to this, and that is that the people of the world speak thousands of different languages and tongues and dialects.
Paul spoke in tongues. Many others do as well. Most of them use it in private and for no other purpose but to glorify God and to enrich their prayer life. This does not benefit the enemy in any way.
Paul spoke many different languagesI Corinthians 14:2 "For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."The reason that it is saying that if you do go out and speak in a place where everyone is of another language then only God would understand; is that only God and the Spirit of God understands all languages. He caused the confusion into the languages at the tower of Babel, and when the true tongue of the Holy Spirit is spoken, it will be as it was at Pentecost. This tongue shall be spoken again when the Elect are brought up to give account of themselves, as recorded in Mark 13:11. When the Holy Spirit's tongue goes forth, every person around the world will listen to it and understand it at the same time and in the very dialect of their neighborhood. This is what is called the "cloven tongue". The "cloven tongue" needs no interpreter for it comes directly from the Holy Spirit. I Corinthians 14:14 "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful."If you pray in a language that your mind doesn't understand, then of what benefit is your prayer. You uttered words that mean nothing, and have created nothing but noise. When you pray to the Father, know exactly who you are praying to and for what purpose. However if you are just muttering words and sounds that have no meaning, your prayer is in vain. In short, you have to be able to communicate, before people know what you are saying. Remember that this chapter is dealing with teaching those that are foreigners to you, and those that do not speak your language. The ability to communicate is a gift from God. I Corinthians 14:18 "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:"Again Paul is referring to the many languages that he spoke. Paul was a Roman, and spoke Latin, and as a Jew he was trained in the Hebrew, Chaldee and the Greek. His father came from Tarsus which is in Turkey of today, and that gave him another tongue, so we see that Paul was fluid in many languages through his home and training.I Corinthians 14:19 "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."Even though I can speak many different languages, when I am in the church I would rather speak five words conveying my understanding to you, than ten thousand words in a language that you do not understand. The object of this chapter is "to teach others" of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and if you can't convey the words with complete understanding, how can you teach anything? You simply cannot. It is only when the believer hears the words with understanding that they become lifted by your teaching. The bottom line is, tongues as spoken by people today is not that which is taught in the Word,therefore I can say with confidence that it is not of God