Spirit-Filled Members: Please Comment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought it was nice that David still got to be favored by god after he murdered his best friend and married his wife. And we are cool with that because God is, but Moses taps a rock too many times and he is out

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have hit the nail on the head with this post.
Churches have moved so far away from prophets in the church that no one is training them up in their gift and calling.

Delicate issue, IMO. There are movements gaining strength now (like NAR and the Last Reformation referred to earlier) that attempt to formally train everyone, i.e. all believers in "the prophetic" and how to move in "supernatural gifts," even though most don't actually possess any. But by starting from the assumption that they do, and that these gifts just have to be "released through faith," the resulting "training" they receive only ends up encouraging fraud : (

I think those with experience in true gifts whom God calls to mentor will be led specifically to those whom they are called to mentor, and the two will simply find each other through the Spirit's leading (Sumrall's relationship with Wigglesworth is a good example here). But this business of mass-training everyone is flesh-driven, IMO, and makes the problem worse not better, leading even those with true gifts to potentially become even more confused than educated.

I just don't think all believers are automatically given gifts that simply "need to be released." I think most are simply too immature to handle the responsibility of walking in true gifts. And because of this they disqualify themselves. I don't think they should be "trained" in anything, regardless of if a true mentor is available or not.

That said, the real articles these days are few and far between. And as a result, there's not really much of a need for true mentorship, IMO. I think God is going to train up just fine those who are seeking Him diligently, even if they have to learn mostly on their own through trial and error. I think what the times call for is even greater determination...

and more of those with true gifts seeking Him evermore diligently, with fasting and prayer : )

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Jo

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Delicate issue, IMO. There are movements gaining strength now (like NAR and the Last Reformation referred to earlier) that attempt to formally train everyone, i.e. all believers in "the prophetic" and how to move in "supernatural gifts," even though most don't actually possess any. But by starting from the assumption that they do, and that these gifts just have to be "released through faith," the resulting "training" they receive only ends up encouraging fraud : (

I think those with experience in true gifts whom God calls to mentor will be led specifically to those with gifts whom they are called to mentor, and the two will simply find each other through the Spirit's leading (Sumrall's relationship with Wigglesworth is a good example here). But this business of mass-training everyone is flesh-driven, IMO, and makes the problem worse not better, leading even those with true gifts to potentially become even more confused instead of educated.

I just don't think all believers are automatically given gifts that simply "need to be released." I think most are simply too immature to handle the responsibility of walking in true gifts. And because of this they disqualify themselves. I don't think they should be "trained" in anything, regardless of if a true mentor is available or not.

That said, the real articles these days are few and far between. And as a result, there's not really much of a need for true mentorship, IMO. I think God is going to train up just fine those who are seeking Him diligently, even if they have to learn mostly on their own through trial and error. I think what the times call for is even greater determination...

and more of seeking Him diligently, through fasting and prayer : )
If you read in the OT God spoke to Elijah and told him to mentor Elisha...and after Elijah was taken up Elisha received a double portion of Elijah's mantle.
Jesus says we have the Holy Spirit to teach us all truths...but who teaches us about the Holy Spirit and His Gifts and His Power through us. Teachers...how did I first hear about prophets, prophesy, gifts? My pastor and the Bible. How did I learn about being used in prophetic ministry? God and a pastor who called me out. Was it difficult to distinguish His voice vs my own...many times. This is where mentoring would have helped a lot.
And as scripture says a prophet is subject to the prophets.

Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think those with experience in true gifts whom God calls to mentor will be led specifically to those whom they are called to mentor, and the two will simply find each other through the Spirit's leading (Sumrall's relationship with Wigglesworth is a good example here). But this business of mass-training everyone is flesh-driven, IMO, and makes the problem worse not better, leading even those with true gifts to potentially become even more confused than educated.

and more of those with true gifts seeking Him evermore diligently, with fasting and prayer : )
BTW you are adding more than what I am referring to. I am NOT talking about schools for prophets. I am specifically referring to the church.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophets?
Yes, it might be a good thing to have people within the church to tell leaders hard truths

Of course it would also be nice if Protestants didn’t shatter into a thousand denominations every time a hard truth was mentioned

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I went over and read the entire thread on CF....I like Carl...He has genuine desire to seek truth...and was I ever shocked reading some of your own posts....you have grown a lot since last year....but I liked the thread and the different comments made.
Prophets are not anyone special that I have ever encountered....they are simply just His messenger.
However God needs them....yesterday, today and tomorrow....but He needs all parts of the body of operating simultaneously in their gifts.
The Gift of Discernment is an excellent gift to test the spirit to know if it is of God or not...meaning what a person claiming to be a prophet or have a prophetic gift is saying and whether it is from God or not.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prophets?
Yes, it might be a good thing to have people within the church to tell leaders hard truths

Of course it would also be nice if Protestants didn’t shatter into a thousand denominations every time a hard truth was mentioned

Hi aspen,

Unfortunately it is often the 'prophet' himself who does the shattering, walking away from his community, with or without others, refusing to be obedient to the authority of those placed over him and/or submitting to their testing...

My .02...

Peace!

Reactions: aspen