Spirits/Souls

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, and thank you.

Not all souls will be resurrected at his second coming but wait until the 1000 yr millennium to stand before the GWTJ.
So the spirit of man, who is born again from above, returns to God who gave it, but the soul remains earthbound until his second coming. For those not " in Christ" they remain until the final judgement.
Am I correct in my understanding of your response ?

I'm glad we find agreement thus far.

All spirits return to God alive with the life-giving Spirit, or without the life-giving Spirit in silence and darkness. The part of the soul that makes every living creature complete, after physical death is physically bound to the earth in death until the last day.

James 2:26 (KJV) For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

According to John all who are in the graves shall be resurrected in an hour that is coming. All of the physically dead are resurrected then, those who have done good resurrected to life, and those who have done evil resurrected to damnation. From Paul we learn this physical resurrection from mortality to immortality comes when the last trump sounds. Four times in Jo 6 it is written that the faithful shall be physically raised up on the last day. Therefore we know that the hour coming, when the last trump sounds, is the last day of this age when all who are in the graves shall be resurrected to life or damnation.

John 5:28-29 (KJV) Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

John 6:39-40 (KJV)
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44 (KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:54 (KJV) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Since time shall be no longer when the seventh angel begins to sound, there cannot be another one thousand literal years of time for this earth. If we do not have eternal life before the last trumpet sounds, we will be condemned in the lake of fire that is the second death.

Revelation 10:5-7 (KJV) And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad we find agreement thus far.

All spirits return to God alive with the life-giving Spirit, or without the life-giving Spirit in silence and darkness. The part of the soul that makes every living creature complete, after physical death is physically bound to the earth in death until the last day.

James 2:26 (KJV) For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

According to John all who are in the graves shall be resurrected in an hour that is coming. All of the physically dead are resurrected then, those who have done good resurrected to life, and those who have done evil resurrected to damnation. From Paul we learn this physical resurrection from mortality to immortality comes when the last trump sounds. Four times in Jo 6 it is written that the faithful shall be physically raised up on the last day. Therefore we know that the hour coming, when the last trump sounds, is the last day of this age when all who are in the graves shall be resurrected to life or damnation.

John 5:28-29 (KJV) Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

John 6:39-40 (KJV)
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44 (KJV) No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:54 (KJV) Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Since time shall be no longer when the seventh angel begins to sound, there cannot be another one thousand literal years of time for this earth. If we do not have eternal life before the last trumpet sounds, we will be condemned in the lake of fire that is the second death.

Revelation 10:5-7 (KJV) And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.
Oh, we agree on much.

• Love
Reactions: rwb

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SOUL

The subject of soul has a couple tentacles that are interesting, but I will refrain from going there.

While soul is occasionally reference as the spirit of man, there is no immortality or transmigration of the soul…………………soul and spirit (biblically) are two very different things. How people use them in secular and religious dialogue may or may not reflect Gods intent.

The Hebrew word for soul is the word "nephesh".

It is used 738x in the OT and has been translated soul 475x, and various other words 263x, including: life, person, mind, heart, creature, body, himself, ..etc. The Hebrew word chay, which means “alive, living soul, or moving life”…. will always be employed in the Word of God with nephesh ….as living life, in contrast to a dead or perished soul.

Gen 1:21

1:21 And God created great whales, and every living [chay] creature [nephesh] that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

The first thing to note is that when God created soul life, He created it in great whales and every living creature that moveth. That tells us that soul life is not only in animals, but that it was created in animals first.

The word create is first used in Genesis 1:1 when God, in the beginning, created the heavens and the earth.

Gen 1:1 God created the heaven and the earth in the very beginning. (Peshitta Text)

Create = bara in Hebrew - The word create is to bring something into existence that did not exist before, or to make something out of nothing. After Gen 1:1 ….God did not create anything again until the 5th day [Gen 1:21] when He created soul life in “great whales and every living creature.

((WHERE is the soul?))

The soul is our breath life, It’s what gives life to a persons body, it’s vitality. …. But the question becomes ….Where is the soul?

In Leviticus God tells us…..

Lev 17:11 For the life [nephesh] of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls [nephesh]: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul [nephesh]

The word life in this verse is the same word for soul (nephesh) Soul life is in the blood.

Going back to basic Biology: Oxygen is delivered throughout the body by means of the red blood cells ….actually it is the hemoglobin molecules from the red cells that deliver the oxygen to the individual cells in the body tissue. The bloodstream also picks up CO2 from the body and returns it to the lunges to be exhaled…

What happens when we die?

The heart, which pumps the blood, which delivers the oxygen to the brain …… stops….. soul life ceases in that particular person…. but is carried on through progeny . But if there is no offspring, the soul is gone when that person dies; there is nothing immortal about the soul.

In Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (chay nephesh)

The words “breathed into his nostrils” is the figure of speech anthropopatheia or condescension. This figure is used of the ascription of human passions, actions, or attributes to God.
(Of the 219 known figures of speech, God uses more than 214 in the Bible.)

The same soul life that God created in Gen 1:21 is the same soul life that God breathed into Adam, which made Adam a living soul….It is also the same soul life that continues in mankind today.

Excellent. Few people take the time to dig into the original languages and discover how fast and loose the translators treated certain words. In doing so, they imposed 'their understanding' and their 'beliefs' upon the texts and they super-imposed misunderstanding to the degree that most never recover from this affliction.

Paul, in his letter to the Romans- puts it like this:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts, and their senseless hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for an image resembling mortal human beings or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.
Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity, to dishonor their bodies among themselves.

They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!

Of course it all comes forth from one source-- the Father/God and it is His progeny we are talking about in the spiritual sense and understanding. The Creator creates and creatures appear and into them is breathed Life and they become living souls. They have the breath and the blood in various containers/vessels which are reflections of diverse creativity but like all physical things, these are temporary in nature. In the beginning the elohim created the heavens and the earth. The whole first chapter of our creation story is about these elohim. But when it comes to that man and woman and their story--- this Life that was breathed into them was specific to one Lord elohim. The Chief God. The Father of all in the spiritual sense. It's sad that our Bibles corrupted the story and preachers preach and teachers teach a poor version of it.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The soul is our breath life, It’s what gives life to a persons body, it’s vitality. …. But the question becomes ….Where is the soul?

Not exactly! The breath of life is in every breathing creature upon the earth is 'spirit', not soul. The outward body and the breath of life (spirit) together became a living soul.

In the following verse the dust of the ground creates the body, and the breath of life, which is נְשָׁמָה nᵉshâmâh, nesh-aw-maw' and חַי chay, khah'-ee - that is a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:—blast, (that) breath(-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit - or a spirit that gives life - So the body with spirit life from God breathed into man, they become a living soul - or חַי chay, khah'-ee and נֶפֶשׁ nephesh, neh'-fesh.

Where there is life there is a living soul. The physical body cannot have life without spirit, so in death the body becomes a corpse. But the spirit in man who is born again through the Spirit of Christ in them, has eternal spiritual life through the Holy Spirit in them. So when the body of faithful saints dies the spirit in them returns to God a living (chay) soul. No longer a complete living soul, but still having life a spiritual soul/body nonetheless.

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.