Spirits/Souls

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a great distinction between the spirit of man and the soul of man.
All mankind have the spirit of man, it is not unique among men but is the same.
Genesis 2
7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils, the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
----In my studies I believe the breath of life is the spirit of man.

Ecclesiastes 3:21
] All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
[21] Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

The spirit or breath of life goes back to God who gave it.
Ecc.8
6] Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. 7] Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8] There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he POWER in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

The silver cord is life, the golden bowl or pitcher, these represent our vessels of clay that in death are dissolvable back to that from which it was formed.

Souls, I believe are personalized and are not reusable as reincarnateists believe! It is however only possible to have a soul if it is inspired by God.
Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Ezekiel 18:4 KJV
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
ALL SOULS belong to God, he is the sole possessor, ( no pun intended ),however the final destiny can be determined by man.
This chapter in Ezekiel is an excellent study on the soul of man.
Mark. 8
35] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. 36] For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Matthew 16:26 - For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? ( Same verse text with extended versions ).
Matthew 6:21
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

How then can we reconcile the spirit of man with God?
Romans 8:16 - The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: after the A,B,C s of salvation.( See thread Salvation in 7 thread by David NJ
1 Corinthians 6:17 - But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
I believe there is no separation of the spirit of man when we are joined to God by his Spirit.

I welcome input of the rightly dividing of the word, done in kindness and love.

Let's discuss if you have edifying thoughts.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 2
7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils, the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

[21] Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Ecc.8
6] Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. 7] Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8] There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he POWER in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

The silver cord is life, the golden bowl or pitcher, these represent our vessels of clay that in death are dissolvable back to that from which it was formed.

Souls, I believe are personalized and are not reusable as reincarnateists believe! It is however only possible to have a soul if it is inspired by God.
Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
ALL SOULS belong to God, he is the sole possessor, ( no pun intended ),however the final destiny can be determined by man.
Mark. 8
35] For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. 36] For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Matthew 16:26 - For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? ( Same verse text with extended versions ).

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: after the A,B,C s of salvation.( See thread Salvation in 7 thread by David NJ
I believe there is no separation of the spirit of man when we are joined to God by his Spirit.

read the text you quoted in Genesis, it tells us plainly what a soul is.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You don't HAVE a soul, you ARE a soul. You have a body." That quote (from some Catholic priest, I think) has stuck with me.

All this talk about "soul" and "spirit" is a little bit fuzzy in my mind.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the definition of soul is a spirit. And I believe we have spirits.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You don't HAVE a soul, you ARE a soul. You have a body." That quote (from some Catholic priest, I think) has stuck with me.

All this talk about "soul" and "spirit" is a little bit fuzzy in my mind.

While I like the statement and am inclined to agree with it, I also must defer to what the Bible says, although I'm unclear on what it says.

9Hj.gif

Reactions: Lambano

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2

Ecc.8

Mark. 8

I think you are spot on concerning the breath of life as God-breathed spirit. Then, if you reason through it-- that vessel you speak of is the body that His spirit was breathed into, becoming a temporary, breakable, dissolvable, formed -container for that divine spirit.

Regarding the soul--- it isn't your soul, or our soul, or my soul..... The soul is the life experience of that spirit, in that container. One spirit, one vessel-- one "life sentence" to serve.... one soul. The soul becomes the record of that life lived. When the body/vessel 'gives up the ghost' as some say.... and dies. -The spirit returns to God and that spiritual 'man' stands before Him and books are opened. Those books are the records of each life lived. Each soul experience. -The book of life- is where your name is written, your experiences and even your very thoughts are recorded from birth to death.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soul life is breath life ...soul is in the blood.

Not exactly. In scripture- your spirit is associated with (living) water. Your soul is associated with blood (your life-blood).

As an example, the water turning to blood is a way of saying that the heavenly bodies entered those earthly vessels--- became living souls aka-- humans.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SOUL

The subject of soul has a couple tentacles that are interesting, but I will refrain from going there.

While soul is occasionally reference as the spirit of man, there is no immortality or transmigration of the soul…………………soul and spirit (biblically) are two very different things. How people use them in secular and religious dialogue may or may not reflect Gods intent.

The Hebrew word for soul is the word "nephesh".

It is used 738x in the OT and has been translated soul 475x, and various other words 263x, including: life, person, mind, heart, creature, body, himself, ..etc. The Hebrew word chay, which means “alive, living soul, or moving life”…. will always be employed in the Word of God with nephesh ….as living life, in contrast to a dead or perished soul.

Gen 1:21

1:21 And God created great whales, and every living [chay] creature [nephesh] that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

The first thing to note is that when God created soul life, He created it in great whales and every living creature that moveth. That tells us that soul life is not only in animals, but that it was created in animals first.

The word create is first used in Genesis 1:1 when God, in the beginning, created the heavens and the earth.

Gen 1:1 God created the heaven and the earth in the very beginning. (Peshitta Text)

Create = bara in Hebrew - The word create is to bring something into existence that did not exist before, or to make something out of nothing. After Gen 1:1 ….God did not create anything again until the 5th day [Gen 1:21] when He created soul life in “great whales and every living creature.

((WHERE is the soul?))

The soul is our breath life, It’s what gives life to a persons body, it’s vitality. …. But the question becomes ….Where is the soul?

In Leviticus God tells us…..

Lev 17:11 For the life [nephesh] of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls [nephesh]: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul [nephesh]

The word life in this verse is the same word for soul (nephesh) Soul life is in the blood.

Going back to basic Biology: Oxygen is delivered throughout the body by means of the red blood cells ….actually it is the hemoglobin molecules from the red cells that deliver the oxygen to the individual cells in the body tissue. The bloodstream also picks up CO2 from the body and returns it to the lunges to be exhaled…

What happens when we die?

The heart, which pumps the blood, which delivers the oxygen to the brain …… stops….. soul life ceases in that particular person…. but is carried on through progeny . But if there is no offspring, the soul is gone when that person dies; there is nothing immortal about the soul.

In Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (chay nephesh)

The words “breathed into his nostrils” is the figure of speech anthropopatheia or condescension. This figure is used of the ascription of human passions, actions, or attributes to God.
(Of the 219 known figures of speech, God uses more than 214 in the Bible.)

The same soul life that God created in Gen 1:21 is the same soul life that God breathed into Adam, which made Adam a living soul….It is also the same soul life that continues in mankind today.

Reactions: Mr E

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if the spirit of man is the life of the body, and it is, from the definition in Genesis, at the creation of man, it is a given the body begins decomp at the very moment that Spirit returns to His !

Does the soul also die when the spirit of man leaves the body ?

As I referenced in Ezekiel 18, all souls are God's and "the soul that sinneth it shall die".

We know the spirit of man is different from the spirit of animals w/o getting too enigmatic, where in the scriptures does the soul go, for David said this, and Peter repeated in his sermon in Acts 2
Psalm 16 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: In thy presence is fulness of joy; At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

I'm not sure if there is a discussion on spirit, soul and body on here and not sure whether it will be beneficial to all.

Thanks for everyone's input for to understand we must " come and let us REASON together !

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2

Ecc.8

Mark. 8

You quoted the passage that explains the difference between the spirit in every living breathing creature upon the earth, and the soul the physical body of the dust of the earth becomes together with the spirit that comes from God.

God took the dust of the earth and formed man's body, then breathed life, which is spirit into the body, and man became a living soul. The body cannot continue to live without the life giving spirit. But the spirit in man that returns to God can live on eternally after the body dies IF man's spirit has the Spirit from Christ in them. Since all spirits return to God after physical death, the spirit with the Holy Spirit returns to God alive as a living soul. For wherever life is found, there is a living soul.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if the spirit of man is the life of the body, and it is, from the definition in Genesis, at the creation of man, it is a given the body begins decomp at the very moment that Spirit returns to His !

Does the soul also die when the spirit of man leaves the body ?

As I referenced in Ezekiel 18, all souls are God's and "the soul that sinneth it shall die".

We know the spirit of man is different from the spirit of animals w/o getting too enigmatic, where in the scriptures does the soul go, for David said this, and Peter repeated in his sermon in Acts 2
Psalm 16 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: In thy presence is fulness of joy; At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

I'm not sure if there is a discussion on spirit, soul and body on here and not sure whether it will be beneficial to all.

Thanks for everyone's input for to understand we must " come and let us REASON together !

Only the soul that sins returns to God without life. Because the soul (living human being) that dies in their sins does not possess eternal spiritual life through the Spirit of Christ in them. So the spirit in that soul (human) returns to God who gave it without life, and is said to be in silence and darkness. Unlike the souls alive in heaven after death as spiritual body who sing and praise God in heaven after the physical body has died.

• Love

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Genesis 2

Ecc.8

Mark. 8

Totally agree with your premise. @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d. Well written. I found out about my soul (or was this my spirit) man when I woke one night and noticed a hand in front of my face which gave me such a fright. I also noticed that my body was laying down, still asleep while I was sitting up looking at this see through, almost invisible hand. After awhile, I realised that I controlled this hand as I moved it around with my thoughts. JM2C

• Love
Reactions: Mr E and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the spirit in that soul (human) returns to God who gave it without life, and is said to be in silence and darkness. Unlike the souls alive in heaven after death as spiritual body who sing and praise God in heaven after the physical body has died.
WOW. Could you expound further on this thought........
"Only the soul that sins returns to God without life. Because the soul (living human being) that dies in their sins does not possess eternal spiritual life through the Spirit of Christ in them." WOW

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW. Could you expound further on this thought........
"Only the soul that sins returns to God without life. Because the soul (living human being) that dies in their sins does not possess eternal spiritual life through the Spirit of Christ in them." WOW

You already have the answer! We are promised eternal life the moment we believe and are born again of His Spirit in us. The Spirit promises never to leave us before we receive that which Christ purchased for us through His sacrificial blood and resurrection. So, the Spirit sent from Christ will be in us until we are bodily resurrected immortal and incorruptible, then we will be re-united with our eternal spirit that returns with Christ, and once again be complete living soul with immortal body and eternal spirit to be with Christ forever.

Ephesians 1:12-14 (KJV) That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 (KJV) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, and thank you.

Not all souls will be resurrected at his second coming but wait until the 1000 yr millennium to stand before the GWTJ.
So the spirit of man, who is born again from above, returns to God who gave it, but the soul remains earthbound until his second coming. For those not " in Christ" they remain until the final judgement.
Am I correct in my understanding of your response ?