1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spiritual Shepherding

Discussion in 'Christian Spirituality Forum' started by Episkopos, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "catawampus" lol...MUST be a "Maryland" saying, I just say "whackadoo" :D

Understood Jen,
    Trust is key...and we just will never please Him without faith/trust. "I believe, help thou my unbelief"!! Of course I do believe and trust in Him yet, one word of complaint in my mind or out my mouth nullifies it all IMHO so, it is back to square one when that happens and, that is okay as, I'm still in the race!

"8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do." <---- THIS have been very convicting to me as, once we think we have something down pat...something else comes along to make you see yet some other possibility. MUST take eyes OFF self and on Him...all times.

2. stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Let’s be very accurate. Whackadoo leads to cattywampus, not the other way around.:D

Lambano and Nancy like this.
  3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

adjective, adverb
    US informal

US
    /ˌkæt̬.əˈwɑːm.pəs/ UK
    /ˌkæt.əˈwɒm.pəs/

(also cattywampus, US/ˌkæt̬.iˈwɑːm.pəs/ UK/ˌkæt.iˈwɒm.pəs/)

badly, awkwardly, or in the wrong direction:
    The script is spoiled by its catawampus rhythms and its lack of consistency and plausibility.
    I didn't need this, especially on a morning when everything else had already started out going cattywampus.

" whackadoo

1. an eccentric or fanatical person.
      "he seems like a good guy even if he is a wackadoo"
    Hmm...'I was going in the wrong direction (cattywampus.)
    ...and now I'm crazy (whackadoo)! Perhaps it can be BOTH ways HAHA!

Lambano, stunnedbygrace and marks like this.
  4. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yep! A cattywampus whackadoo! Love it!

Lambano, stunnedbygrace and Nancy like this.
  5. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So reading Nancy's definitions, you've got this exactly right!

:)

Much love!

Lambano, stunnedbygrace and Nancy like this.
  6. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Buncha whackadoos suddenly running rampant in epis very, very good thread. Now I’ll stop. I started it.

Lambano, Nancy and marks like this.
  7. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The whackdoos have gone cattywampus! Get with the lingo . . . :cool:

OK . . . I'm out!

Much love!

Nancy, Lambano and stunnedbygrace like this.
  8. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So unlike you to do. :D
    Sorry Epi!

Lambano and stunnedbygrace like this.
  9. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "Jesus wept!"

10. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So, back to spiritual shepherding, you know how I’ve shared with you guys my passions being dead now. Well, I just found something from someone who has shepherded me through the dark way of trust, a man I kept returning to at times for help. I just seemed to understand him, even if dimly, and get great encouragement from him that what I was going through was normal, not abnormal as I originally thought. Here is what I found that he says that matches what I’ve shared with you guys.

15.2. To achieve this liberation it was advantageous for the soul to depart in the dark night, that is, in the privation of all satisfactions and in the mortification of all appetites, as we mentioned. "My house being now all stilled" means that the house of all the appetites, the sensitive part of the soul, is now stilled, and the desires conquered and lulled to sleep. Until slumber comes to the appetites through the mortification of sensuality, and until this very sensuality is stilled in such a way that the appetites do not war against the spirit, the soul will not go out to genuine freedom, to the enjoyment of union with its Beloved.

When he says “the privation of all satisfactions” I understand him because at one point, God took me from my Bible, not that I would have shared that with anyone because I just knew they would have yelled at me.
    But I tried and tried to keep picking it back up to receive some of the satisfactions I had previously had. But since He was insisting on the dark (to me) way of pure trust, every time I tried to read again it was useless. I no longer understood any of it as I previously thought I had. I could have just as well been reading it in Hebrew or Greek, that’s how bad it got. I eventually gave up trying and then He sometimes gave me remembrance of verses I’d read to help me not faint and sometimes gave them to me from someone else’s mouth. But the Bible itself was a closed book to me. He was making me trust even though I couldn’t see anything. Complete blackout. What I call the true fast in spirit.

I’m not saying or insisting He will take everyone the same exact way, but I share it in case He IS taking someone the same way and they are in distress because they cannot read, understand anything, see anything or even pray much. If that’s you, don’t try to push it, just sit there in the darkness of trust that He has placed you in because He is crucifying your flesh and you will see it later.
    If you read and it just props up what needs to die by not being fed and not receiving any comfort or satisfaction, it’s a very good thing that He denies it to you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    faithfulness, Lambano and Nancy like this.
  11. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "If you read and it just props up what needs to die..."

His withdrawing and letting us see those verses that condemn us stings. I do understand it is for only awhile and is necessary to die to self in every single way. Sure does not feel very good at the time though.

Too bad the (in general) church's do not teach the "hard sayings". Seems it is up to us to seek and study diligently IF and when the Holy Spirit gives us the ability. We must kill our own flesh either way.

Thanks sister, much needed wise words, thanks for sharing and being open.

stunnedbygrace likes this.
  12. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hi Epi!
    Yes, agreed that our safety around the Lord is all to do with humility and a healthy fear of Him. In and of myself, there is nothing at all to be "proud" of other than knowing Christ. Yet there is a pride that does not want others to see how weak I am in body and in spirit. IRL for instance, not being able to physically do things that used to be easy as pie! Pride will tell me to do it anyhow and, it just hurts me either physically or makes me angry that I cannot even hang dumb curtains without screwing up anymore!! So yes, that is pride that needs to go, and lack of patience waiting on Him to send me help in these areas.

Ah, that "higher walk"...pretty sure this girl is too small to walk that tall! I made a rhyme :D
    The only thing that strikes fear into me is hearing "Be gone, I never knew you". So, if such heights must be reached...God Himself will have to place a pretty big ladder before me! lol.

Good post Epi

David H. and Episkopos like this.
  13. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Oh wait…I understand this ever so slightly more this morning…since I saw I needed HIS love and saw trust was now not enough and there was something more I lacked, HIS love has emptied my own will (or emptied it more) and my will, in love, was lost for His will…because I DO have will, it just isn’t stirred to any former things. My will is now to sit in this…empty peacefulness. It really does seem to me my will died but…it is instead focused on…only one thing. Except, it isn’t really focused so much as just silent and peaceful because what it wants is…unknowable, so there really isn’t any known thing TO focus on with will.
    I’m sure that sounds insane but there it is.

Lambano likes this.
  14. Lambano

Lambano Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Maybe He'll fill the emptiness with HIS love so that you can give it to others. Just speculating. I suspect He has a vocation for you to be revealed in His good time that will fill you. A vocation filled with love sounds pretty good.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    stunnedbygrace likes this.
  15. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well…I think the point is that He DID give me His love (or at least as much as I was able to receive with my passions now calmed by Him), because how could He have touched my will in this manner otherwise?
    Trust emptied my passions eventually so they stopped their war.
    Wouldn’t love empty my will then so it would stop it’s war too?
    Maybe I need to just sit here and shut up…

16. Lambano

Lambano Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I didn't say that right. You do still have a will. Even Jesus had a will separate from the Father's. ("Not my will, but thine be done".) It's part of what makes you, you, a distinct person worth saving. He just dialed the sliders on your control board down about -60dB. If God indeed has a vocation for you, the embers of your will will be fanned into flame and aligned with His will to accomplish whatever task(s) He has in mind for you. You’ll know when it happens. And there will be His love for you to give to others.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    marks and stunnedbygrace like this.