Standing in Proxy For The Dearly Departed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There are some denominations who believe that they are able to stand in proxy for a departed family member or friend who has passed on. What are your thoughts on this theology? :huh:

1 Corinthians 15
29 Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 30 And why do we stand in jeopardy every hour? 31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32 If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

Bless you!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
IMHO, it is not too late to pray, unless you already have an answer. God, being outside time, hears our petitions before we make them. But prayers can be time sensitive, such as if we wait too long the decision could be made known and set in stone. There may be opertunities to pray that are presented by the Spirit, and these should be acted on without delay.

That scripture above merely tells us how meaningless our faith would-be without the resurrection.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This may indeed be where the RCC got some of its Traditions regarding purgatory. In any event I don't see any validity at all in praying for the Dead. It may have been a practice in the Jewish tradition that Paul addressed is here but I don't see any other evidence of it being valid in Scripture.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I believe that the Mormon Churches baptize on behalf of the dead because they believe that no-one can enter heaven without being baptized. The above 1 Cor 15:29-32 is the scripture they profess regarding this particular sacrament but the verse is not stating that...

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is my understanding of this Chapter...beginning at verse 12

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.

I think that point is straight forward

14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Paul goes on to say that his preaching about salvation and the gospel message is useless if Christ was not raised" and our faith is useless also because there is no hope of eternal life if Christ is not raised...so we remain sinners and un-redeemed. This also means that those who have died in Christ, his followers,are lost because of the belief that Christ is not raised. We if only have hope in him while we live this fleshly life and there is no eternal life, we are to be pitied...

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

...but Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I believe this passage of scripture is where the doctrine of "Baptism by proxy" originates...

29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead?

The above verse is speaking about the idea of there being no resurrection. Basically I believe this verse is saying ~
~ If there is no resurrection, then why are people being baptized [for the dead] or on behalf of dead ~ The "dead" meaning, those who are supposedly not risen, like Jesus? :huh:

If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?
[Just a reminder that the idea here is that some say there is no resurrection 1 Corinthians 15:12]

... again I believe Paul is saying ~ Why are people being baptized if you believe that those who have died in Christ previously and even Christ himself, have not risen since the belief is that there is no resurrection.

30 And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? 31 I face death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32 If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

“Let us eat and drink,
for tomorrow we die.”

​Paul then concludes that the suffering of his fellow Apostles, disciples and himself who had faced all kinds of peril, hardship and near death, were for nothing if the dead are not raised [if there is no resurrection] ...JMHO :huh:

33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” 34 Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

I think that Paul is probably telling off those who are spreading such theological error in this last passage...Bless ya!

Lady Daffodil

Apr 29, 2016
Funny, I was just talking with someone the other day who said that the Mormons do this. And of course, it is totally unbiblical.