Submission Of The Wife: How Serious A Matter Is It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Admittedly, neither of my husbands knew God, and neither did I until close to the end of my second marriage. It’s funny when you think about it that when I finally came to God, any desire for remarriage just left me. Just…poof gone! I sometimes think any man I could meet that I would ever, ever entertain thoughts of marriage about would be so spiritually mature and crucified that he would so obviously be like me and not desire to remarry!
He may be holding you in reserve for the right guy. You never know . . .

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My two cents on this subject.... Husbands love your wives, wives submit to the Love of the Husband. For a Godly Husband this is not a matter of control and submission in the sense of enslavement, and subservience, but of one of love and receiving that love and drawing near to one another. The Husband is the first actor in a marriage he begins by loving, the wife is the recipient of that love, she draws nearer by receiving the love of the husband.... It is a beautiful way God designed the relationship between husband and wife. This is How Christ loved us, In that while we were yet sinners he died for us. He is the first actor of that Love we respond as the church and bride to that love, by drawing near Him.

Yes. This is the beginning, and fully in line with the mystery of Christ and the church.

The problem is simply that they don't take the analogy far enough IMO, though I can understand why. But Christ Jesus also corrected the church where necessary and was not afraid to lead. He did not shrink back and say, "We are equals here, so I have no right to tell her what to do." That would have been poor leadership on His part, and there were many instances in the New Testament alone where churches were in danger of being deceived and corrupted, so correction was necessary to protect them.

My wife is both smart and spiritual, but that does not mean she has always made the best decisions. If I had let her, we would have been in much more bondage to debt a long time ago, and wouldn't be nearly as happy as we are today. That's an instance I am using from my own marriage, but I believe that with the calling to lead a marriage there comes the wisdom to do so properly if one seeks the Lord for the ability to do so. Granted, there were some decisions she didn't agree with that might not have been the best approach (and notice I said might) but I assented to it and things turned out ok. It's important that wives be wise enough to speak up and not just do everything the husband says, because unlike Christ we are human and capable of making mistakes, and may not always see the entire picture.

But I once again have to reiterate that much of the plan of God for marriage working comes down to choosing a spiritually strong partner. If only one hears from God, they will fight, and constantly. If both can, they may have disagreements but they can work through just about anything, come into some form of agreement, and things work out fine. In every instance where male leadership in the marriage didn't work, it was because of someone's spiritual immaturity; either his or hers, or both.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread makes me grateful to God that He took away any desire from me to ever marry again! :D

Ahahaha!!

You can always get a dog. Man's best friend. :)

71a73758009765406d591f20f53287c7.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He may be holding you in reserve for the right guy. You never know . . .

Much love!

oh no, I’m positive not. It’s funny to see that people in my life can’t comprehend no desire for remarriage. They meet male friends I’ve made and hint we would make a good couple. Only two of them ever asked me on a date, but I immediately let them know that part of my life was over. I’ve become quite good friends with one of them.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sometimes think any man I could meet that I would ever, ever entertain thoughts of marriage about would be so spiritually mature and crucified that he would so obviously be like me and not desire to remarry!

If you are content being single, you've chosen the better option spiritually. But just as a comment on the above, my wife wasn't looking to get married when she met me. She was happy and self-sufficient being single. But the Lord told her to marry me, so she obeyed.

Maybe you need one who is wise enough not to want to marry, but mature enough to follow God's leading if He says he should.

Or maybe you just need a dog, Lol.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you need one who is wise enough not to want to marry, but mature enough to follow God's leading if He says he should.

Hmm…I wonder if God would take desire to remarry from someone and then…tell them to marry….that would be odd…
And He would have to speak in a great thundering and unmistakable voice for me to do it!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of us just don't want or need a submissive spouse.

Ok, that sounds like a jab.

Men who teach the early church doctrine on marriage don't do so because they "want or need a submissive wife." They do so because they are assuming the role of leadership God commanded them to in His word.

Why are you vilifying those who do?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm…I wonder if God would take desire to remarry from someone and then…tell them to marry….that would be odd…
And He would have to speak in a great thundering and unmistakable voice for me to do it!

So you understand, my wife didn't have bad marriages before me. If she had, she might have been spooked as well.

Mine got along well with men, and with everybody really... she married me as a virgin when in her mid-40s. Hasn't all been a bowl of cherries either for her, but we were very well suited to each other, and I think I needed a partner, so I can see why He would have asked her even though it wasn't something she was looking for.

I think it again comes down to servanthood, for both the man and the woman. If you fully dedicate to serving Him, He will take care of you, whatever it is you need.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, that sounds like a jab.

Men who teach the early church doctrine on marriage don't do so because they "want or need a submissive wife." They do so because they are assuming the role of leadership God commanded them to in His word.

Why are you vilifying those who do?

Not vilifying anyone or making a jab at anyone. Just pointing out a fact. Some of us just don't want or need a submissive spouse.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not vilifying anyone or making a jab at anyone. Just pointing out a fact.

Then as a fact I'd say it's a decent enough point. You are correct, some men don't.

But now they still have the responsibility of leading in the marriage, at least according to scripture, yes?

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But now they still have the responsibility of leading in the marriage, at least according to scripture, yes?

I guess that depends on whether you believe that those instructions are for all time or just that time period.

I myself, just have no desire to lead in marriage. I have no want, need, or desire to do that at all in my marriage. I want an equal in every aspect of my relationship with her. I do not want someone who will leave the final decision to me. If we cannot come to a decision, then the matter is dropped. If we cannot agree to it, then it wasn't for us.

This is how my next marriage will be as this is what we have discussed and agreed upon.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gah…I shouldn’t even be here seeing as it’s a nonissue for me. I need to just keep my mouth shut and let the debate go on for those who it matters to. I see it as a worldly matter but I can see how those in marriage would see it as more than just a worldly matter. I just don’t see male and female any more but I think that’s because I’m completely done with it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that depends on whether you believe that those instructions are for all time or just that time period.

I myself, just have no desire to lead in marriage. I have no want, need, or desire to do that at all in my marriage. I want an equal in every aspect of my relationship with her. I do not want someone who will leave the final decision to me. If we cannot come to a decision, then the matter is dropped. If we cannot agree to it, then it wasn't for us.

This is how my next marriage will be as this is what we have discussed and agreed upon.

Well, as per my previous posts I fully support the idea of discussing things together before decisions are made. The husband doesn't always have the whole picture unless they do.

But suppose you come to the place where the decision is serious enough that it HAS to be made? Suppose God were to speak to you very clearly one night that He wanted you to start a particular ministry, and you told it to her and she laughed, and said there was no way you could do such a thing.

What happens then?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gah…I shouldn’t even be here seeing as it’s a nonissue for me. I need to just keep my mouth shut and let the debate go on for those who it matters to. I see it as a worldly matter but I can see how those in marriage would see it as more than just a worldly matter. I just don’t see male and female any more but I think that’s because I’m completely done with it.

I won't tell you how it went, but I had a dream a few days ago that I sensed was about you, and you just confirmed it, LoL.

Rejoice in being content as a single woman. I was single for most of my adult Christian life, and didn't have a single problem with it. Well... aside from the fact that the apartment was a total disaster most of the time, LoL.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, as per my previous posts I full support the idea of discussing things together before decisions are made. The husband doesn't always have the whole picture unless they do.

But suppose you come to the place where the decision is serious enough that it HAS to be made? Suppose God were to speak to you very clearly one night that He wanted you to start a particular ministry, and you told it to her and she laughed, and said there was no way you could do such a thing.

What happens then?

For one, God doesn't speak to me that way, and two, He will never do that for me. I am not the ministry type and God who knew me from the beginning knows that and will not call me for it.

Hypothetically, If he did, I am sure he would send my wife that same message so that we three are in agreement. If not, then I will drop it till we are in agreement. I will not do anything unless my wife agrees to it. Going against my wife is not the way I will be in my marriage.

Reactions: marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't tell you how it went, but I had a dream a few days ago that I sensed was about you, and you just confirmed it, LoL.

Rejoice in being content as a single woman. I was single for most of my adult Christian life, and didn't have a single problem with it. Well... aside from the fact that the apartment was a total disaster most of the time, LoL.

Well that’s hardly fair. :p

Reactions: Hidden In Him

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God has a sense of Humor like this sometimes.... ask Hosea the Prophet. As the Old James Bond movie was titled "never say never again"....