Submission Of The Wife: How Serious A Matter Is It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking at this source right now that says, "Koine Greek was the language used by writers of the Old Testament Greek Septuagint and the Greek New Testament. The original Greek New Testament was written in all capital letters, without spaces, punctuation, accents or diacritical marks.

A major contribution of Greek culture was the addition of vowels to the development of our alphabet."
THE GREEK ALPHABET (biblescripture.net)

Minuscules: 20, 94, 104 (Epistles), 157, 164, 215, 241, 254, 256 (Paul), 322, 323, 326, 376, 383, 442, 579 (except Matthew), 614, 718, 850, 1006, 1175, 1241 (except Acts), 1243, 1292 (Cath.), 1342 (Mark), 1506 (Paul), 1611, 1739, 1841, 1852, 1908, 2040, 2053, 2062, 2298, 2344 (CE, Rev), 2351, 2427, 2464.[5]

Alexandrian text-type - Wikipedia.

Jul 7, 2022
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, we know the apostle says the husband is the head of the wife. We also know that Jesus said that "they become one flesh".

I have to ask people therefore, which part of their body has Lordship over the rest. Of course, no part has. All parts of the body need to work in harmony to achieve a good outcome. Each part of the body has a role to fulfil.

Husband and wife are one flesh, and they need to think and act that way. God has instituted rules for order, and given out responsibilities, we need to do what He has said. Suggesting we can change God into adopting the world's philosophies on how men and women ought interoperate is pure arrogance, and will surely earn His ire.

Scripture talks about Israel being a royal priesthood. For the spiritual Israel, ie the new Israel of God, there is no distinction between male and female in this matter, so all women in the church of God are priests too.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boy we really, really have that default switch that reroutes us back to the letter, back to a temporal focus, back to the outside of the cup.

Reactions: marks and Mink57

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think if the subject were taught in a different manner,

Both aspects need to be given equal weight.
A wife is not a slave, but a helpmate, ones better half, often seeing what a man misses.

Marriage is a serious matter and every courting couple needs to look very hard at this issue of who loves and who obeys?
Any man who does not understand his responcibility to sacrificaly love his wife is not worth marrying.
Equall any women who does not understand what is meant by a man sacrificaly loving her and is as a result prepared to obey him, is also not worth marrying.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boy we really, really have that default switch that reroutes us back to the letter, back to a temporal focus, back to the outside of the cup.
I would value your post as probably the most important post of this thread!

There is a HUGE difference between the Letter of the Law, and the SPIRIT of the Law, but not many seem to be able to know the difference. And isn't this WHY the Pharisees sought to kill Jesus? Because he wasn't following the LETTER?

That's kind of why I asked Hidden in the first place, about the Golden Rule. Would a husband want to 'submit' to his wife, in the same way, that he expects his wife to 'submit' to him?

In most cases, the answer is 'no'. And IF the answer is no, why would he continue to expect her to 'submit' to him? To expect someone to do something for *you*, that *you* wouldn't do for/to them...is the worst kind of arrogance there is.

In post #198, Hidden wrote: " It is not easy nor natural for men to honor those in authority over them." Well, it may not be "easy" or even "natural" for women to honor those in authority over them, either! But in all honesty, it really has nothing to do with gender.

One reason why I'm doing so much research on this is because, before we understand what the spirit of the law is, we have to know what "the law" is, in the first place.

Maybe it's time--or, plain overdue--to look at these passages in a different light.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Minuscules: 20, 94, 104 (Epistles), 157, 164, 215, 241, 254, 256 (Paul), 322, 323, 326, 376, 383, 442, 579 (except Matthew), 614, 718, 850, 1006, 1175, 1241 (except Acts), 1243, 1292 (Cath.), 1342 (Mark), 1506 (Paul), 1611, 1739, 1841, 1852, 1908, 2040, 2053, 2062, 2298, 2344 (CE, Rev), 2351, 2427, 2464.[5]

Alexandrian text-type - Wikipedia.
Good for you for looking into original languages.

I'm not about to get into it with Enoch as he gets all upset when you are discussing this particular subject matter, but your statement was actually correct. The earliest NT texts were in majuscule. Alexandrinus, which is favored by most modern scholarship and which I also favor though I came to it through my own study, is predominantly found in majuscule (Papyri and Uncials). Only a relative few are found in minuscule. It is only in later texts where the minuscules dominate, but the earliest were mostly written in capital letters.

Thank you for all your hard work on this, Hidden. Before your posts, I had no idea about what a "minuscule" was! I'm still a "baby" Apologist, and I'll tell ya...

...the more I learn, the more I realize, how little I know!

I found an interesting article this morning from the JewishEncyclopedia regarding Punctuation. Very informative. I'll post the link, in case you, or anyone else wants to view it. It's about a 5-6 minute read, give or take:

PUNCTUATION - JewishEncyclopedia.com

I DO have a question for you. I think that most of us agree that Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit. But does that mean that the editors, copiests and translators, are also inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a HUGE difference between the Letter of the Law, and the SPIRIT of the Law, but not many seem to be able to know the difference. And isn't this WHY the Pharisees sought to kill Jesus? Because he wasn't following the LETTER?

That's kind of why I asked Hidden in the first place, about the Golden Rule. Would a husband want to 'submit' to his wife, in the same way, that he expects his wife to 'submit' to him?

In most cases, the answer is 'no'. And IF the answer is no, why would he continue to expect her to 'submit' to him? To expect someone to do something for *you*, that *you* wouldn't do for/to them...is the worst kind of arrogance there is.

In post #198, Hidden wrote: " It is not easy nor natural for men to honor those in authority over them." Well, it may not be "easy" or even "natural" for women to honor those in authority over them, either! But in all honesty, it really has nothing to do with gender.

One reason why I'm doing so much research on this is because, before we understand what the spirit of the law is, we have to know what "the law" is, in the first place.

Maybe it's time--or, plain overdue--to look at these passages in a different light.

This reminds me of when Paul said,
For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing.” God is not concerned about oxen, is He?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sometimes see it as God said " it is not good for man / woman to be alone". Where there are two, in warfare they cover one another's back, in the cold they generate more heat.

Some however do not know how to be companions nor do they know how to share a burden. Three times I tried but by my own lust and strength ,one was desperately mentally ill, the other 2 were cheaters, sooooo if it's to be, it will come from God on my behalf.

Too many ppl do not realize the sacrity of marriage, the union is to be holy and to each other not " all about me" whether it is the male or female in the relationship. It must be in checks and balances just as our relationship with God!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If a man had his flesh crucified, doing nothing out of selfishness, and actually walking in the Spirit, not only would his wife submit to him, but so would other believers. They would see God had put them in charge and given them authority so they would submit. He wouldn’t demand anyone follow the law, it would just happen. And men wouldn’t be submitting to him but rather to the Spirit in him.

Last edited:

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sometimes see it as God said " it is not good for man / woman to be alone". Where there are two, in warfare they cover one another's back, in the cold they generate more heat.
Actually, God didn't say, "It is not good for man to be alone." What he said was, "It is not good for THE man to be alone"...as in Adam...not as in ALL men. Even Jesus told us (I'm paraphrasing) that not everyone is suited to be married.

Some however do not know how to be companions nor do they know how to share a burden. Three times I tried but by my own lust and strength ,one was desperately mentally ill, the other 2 were cheaters, sooooo if it's to be, it will come from God on my behalf.

Too many ppl do not realize the sacrity of marriage, the union is to be holy and to each other not " all about me" whether it is the male or female in the relationship. It must be in checks and balances just as our relationship with God![/QUOTE]
I agree. Before we marry, I think we have to make sure that we're a suitable marital companion. For instance, marriage and selfishness do NOT go hand-in-hand.

Of course, how many people can do an honest self-assessment of their own character? :rolleyes:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a man had his flesh crucified, doing nothing out of selfishness, and actually walking in the Spirit, not only would his wife submit to him, but so would other believers. They would see God had put them in charge and given them authority so they would submit. He wouldn’t demand anyone follow the law, it would just happen.
This was my last pastor. I miss him very much!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus followed the Law but not their traditions. But concerning the spirit of the Law, we are dead to the Law. We are alive in the Spirit, to live according to the Spirit of Christ, which is being conformed to be the image of Jesus, not of commandments.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, we know the apostle says the husband is the head of the wife. We also know that Jesus said that "they become one flesh".

I have to ask people therefore, which part of their body has Lordship over the rest. Of course, no part has. All parts of the body need to work in harmony to achieve a good outcome. Each part of the body has a role to fulfil.

Hello Tony B, and welcome to Christianity board.

Your statement is actually incorrect here, however. Paul compared Jesus to the head of the body, and the head does indeed have lordship over the body, just as Christ maintains Lordship over the church. And as Paul also stated, "the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can say that again! We need a thread about that.

Much love!

Yes. Except we would be hard pressed to find anyone to lead it who knew very much about the spirit of the law. I’ve caught a glimpse here or there, as with not mixing wool and linen for a priest but it’s only glimpses, nothing I could fully articulate. VIJ sees some of it sometimes but she’s not solidly there yet either.

Maybe He’ll send help. :)

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demanding others must follow the letter of the law has nothing to do with self assessment!

Jesus followed the Law but not their traditions. But concerning the spirit of the Law, we are dead to the Law. We are alive in the Spirit, to live according to the Spirit of Christ, which is being conformed to be the image of Jesus, not of commandments.

Much love!
I think there's a BIG difference between demanding and commanding.

Demanding seems to mean, "Do It Because I Say So!" No real rhyme or reason to it. Sort of, rooted in selfishness.

But commanding...that's a whole different ball game.

One "commands" respect, because they behave in such a manner that respect is 'due' to them.

Jesus never demanded that anyone follow him, or his teachings. But he commanded respect, in that his teachings made sense. They were truthful, and no one could deny that...truthfully. I don't follow the 10 Commandments because "God Sed So." I follow them because they make sense.

I don't look at the 10 Commandments as the 10 "Demandments." I look at each one of them, and see the Wisdom in all of them. And yes, the Golden Rule applies in each and every one of them. I don't follow the 10 Commandments because "God Sed So." I follow them because they makes sense. And they make sense because of the Golden Rule. I don't steal because I know how I would feel, if someone stole from me (that's the 'self-assessment' part I was talking about earlier). I didn't cheat on my spouse, because I know how I would feel, if he cheated on me... and on, and on.

Even though Paul said that a wife is to 'submit' to her husband, what does that even MEAN? And, in the sense that so many husband's SEEM to think it means...is it even the TRUTH? WOULD those husbands like it if THEY had to 'submit' to their wives the same way, they expect their wives to submit to them?

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Except we would be hard pressed to find anyone to lead it who knew very much about the spirit of the law. I’ve caught a glimpse here or there, as with not mixing wool and linen for a priest but it’s only glimpses, nothing I could fully articulate. VIJ sees some of it sometimes but she’s not solidly there yet either.

Maybe He’ll send help. :)
I was a paralegal for a number of years. I'd like to 'take a shot'...if I may...?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In post #198, Hidden wrote: " It is not easy nor natural for men to honor those in authority over them." Well, it may not be "easy" or even "natural" for women to honor those in authority over them, either!

That was my point. :)

Now this is an insightful question, and my answer would be Yes. In fact, that is what the New Testament teachings actually asked the believer to do when they say, "love your wives as yourselves," or "knowing you have a Master in Heaven, and that there is no respect of persons with God." They were trying to get the believer to think in terms of "what if the shoe is on the other foot. How would you be treating the other if the tables were turned?"

I sometimes think about what it would be like if my wife were the man and I were the woman. I think I'm the better leader, quite frankly, LoL, cuz as nice as she is she can be a real b-i-t-c-h to have to work for. Others know this as well. Very demanding. But I would be fine with the other role. I'd just have to make sure she understood not to overstep her boundaries.

See, and that's another thing ... well, it's something I've already said, RESPECT. I have absolutely no problems with a woman getting downright in a husband's face if he's really screwing up and being a pompous jerk. It's something I work over in my mind when it comes to interacting with other believers as well, because I will occasionally take someone's head clean off in public (i.e. humiliate and demean them to the fullest extent of my ability) if I think they are truly asking for it. Does Scripture say to turn the other cheek? Yes. Does it say for slaves to do good even to cruel masters? Yes. But what many don't notice in those two instances is that the one being mistreated has no rights, and is in no position to make any demands. It is NOT that way in a marriage, and the wife should very WELL expect things of her husband. I don't mean tell him what to do, but I mean hold him accountable for treating her fairly and respectfully.

And I'll go you one further, believers have every right to hold the Lord Jesus Christ accountable as well. I have on a few occasions, and He honors it and honors my faith. Why? Because He's not a Dictator, and wants to know how I truly feel about things. I'm not talking about getting anything I want AT ALL. That's a different matter. But I am talking about a believer having RIGHTS in a relationship, and holding Him to the expectation of treating me decently and with Love. Someone asked recently, "Would you change your faith?" I would change it in a heartbeat if I found either in scripture or by experience that my God was cruel. But I don't find that. He can be hard on me sometimes, but He ever only does so for my good. So we work it out.

But the same goes for a wife, and the same goes for a believer, and if anyone messes with me in a way that shows way too little respect they will get my business end, and I don't care how much it hurts them or humiliates them. That in fact is exactly what I am striving for and I will not stop until the point has been communicated, and with the utmost clarity. We are not doormats, and should never treat one another as such, and that goes for husbands and wives, laymen and pastors, believers and believers. The good thing with the Lord is you never have to go that far, whereas with believers and marital partners you sometimes do. I've absolutely lost my cool with the Lord a few times, but I won't get demeaning with Him. But I will get demanding with Him when I feel I am being mistreated. I'm not afraid to in the least, and neither should a wife be. The trick is getting to the place where one isn't offended with things, but so long as one is, my take is that they have every right and even a necessity to let the other person know about it or they are not being honest in the relationship.

Last edited: