Submission Of The Wife: How Serious A Matter Is It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, this thread may sound archaic to some, but I'm not addressing the unsaved but the saved in this thread.

How serious an issue is it with God if a Christian wife doesn't submit to her husband? Does it bring judgment? Keep in mind that I am NOT talking about a wife needing to submit to her husband's every whim, or become a mere slave in the marriage without any mind of her own. I am simply talking about how when it comes to tough decisions, where headship is in question and someone has to have the final say, that the husband needs to be the one who makes the final determination, especially where making spiritual decisions are concerned.

I offer the following case in point as evidence for it. The impetus for this thread was something a friend recently sent me about a dream her husband had concerning her mother.

It went like this:

He was at my parents' house. He saw his brother in laws but didn't see my siblings. He saw women from a church we used to attend that my parents are still attending. They said, "It's sad to hear about the passing of your mother-in-law." And he agreed, it was sad. They said, "It's too bad she died of prostate cancer."

As she shared with me, prostrate cancer is a man's disease, possible also in women but very rare. I told her the dream likely meant her mother was in danger of coming under judgment from God (an illness of some kind) for "taking too much of a man's role in life," and that it was in some sense connected to the sin she might come under judgement for; that the imagery suggested "her personality is unyielding" in "insisting on having things her way rather than His," which in the eyes of God becomes a serious matter, especially when you are taking the spiritual welfare of others into your own hands unjustly.

She sent back that her mother did indeed take on the man's role in her marriage from early on, and not only began handling the finances but deciding on church matters, and that he simply let her.

My belief is that when we get badly out of line with His will and enter into direct disobedience to His word, judgment can come to correct things. Again, concerning the matter of submission in the home, I am not some wife-beating dictator who thinks women aren't as "intelligent" as men are, so that's not where my position is coming from here. She also mentioned how her mother handles the finances, and I said that sometimes the wife is just better with numbers and keeping records so there's no harm in that, but that it's when she assumes headship over the marriage that the problems will come. My wife handles most of our bills in our marriage and keeps all the files, but she is not the spiritual head of the household.

Thoughts are welcomed, but keep it courteous and respectful. I have great respect for women and as a rule tend to prefer their company over men. I don't think there is any definition in scripture about "superiority" outside the marriage relationship. I simply think that inside the marriage a man and woman are to reflect the relationship between Christ and His bride, and there the Lord is the One in charge.

God bless, and thank you for reading
Hidden In Him

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word “submission” has been soiled by too many people whom have used it too justify all manner of abuse and unrighteous dominion. I’d recomm me avoiding those words in general and focus specifically on your one example under the title “seeking advice” or something. I’ll respond to your situation specifically in the next post here.

EDIT: now I actually read the full posit here. This thread is a Pandora’s box @Hidden In Him. Close it.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How serious an issue is it with God if a Christian wife doesn't submit to her husband? Does it bring judgment?

Hi HiH,

It is very serious.

As priest of the household the husband has a duty to intercede on her behalf, so that she may be spared condemnation..

For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband; or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife

Pax et Bonum

Reactions: Hidden In Him

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
  • Love
Reactions: SERVANTedu

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HiH,

It is very serious.

As priest of the household the husband has a duty to intercede on her behalf, so that she may be spared condemnation..

For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband; or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife

Pax et Bonum

I once read a testimony about a woman who received a vision from God. In it, he showed her a bunch of different Christian married men. They all had callings on their lives, but they were being hindered because of their marriages. I think it goes to show just how important choosing the right partner is. Certainly we can and should intercede, but I think dedicating oneself to the Lord's service and then being guided to the right partner may be the most important thing. I think it's part of why Paul stressed that a Christian not marry an unbeliever. The same principles apply to marrying a strong one over a superficial one, though we need to let the Holy Spirit lead us when it comes to one of the most important decisions of our life.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Hi HiH,

It is very serious.

Pax et Bonum
fortunately, Scripturally speaking the wife is a priest too

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and that husbands are called to “submit” too, but we never see threads about that one, huh

I think you're talking about this passage here, which is about members of a congregation submitting to one another as the Holy Spirit speaks through them in the supernatural gifts (tongues, interpretation, prophecy, etc):

17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of God.

We are to "pray without ceasing," and Paul prayed in tongues more than anyone in the church so this is what he was likely referring to. In 1st Corinthians, one of the primary functions of tongues was to give thanks to the Lord (1st Corinthians 14), and being filled with the Spirit involves the use of the gifts. And because they thought the disciples were drunk on the day of Pentecost, Paul's comparison here was very likely to that.

In other words, the verse you are quoting wasn't about wives submitting to husbands. It was about congregation members submitting to one another as the Holy Spirit gave utterance through them.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word “submission” has been soiled by too many people whom have used it too justify all manner of abuse and unrighteous dominion.

I don't think we should allow the enemy a victory here. He tries to turn much of genuine Christianity into an evil thing, but that doesn't mean we need to be buckling under. If we allow the word "submission" to be eliminated from Christian discussion and teaching, what is to become of obedience? Is "submission" to God an evil thing as well? Do we need to use different terminology now so as not to be accused?

Satan will always be an accuser of the brethren, Jane Doe. We need to stand our ground in the righteousness of God and flatly deny that we are "sinning" by teaching godly submission, no matter what the enemy or the world try to say about it or not. Otherwise we will stand for nothing.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Submission works two ways; I can't cook for toffee, so if I had a wife and she could cook real good, I'd gladly submit to whatever she put in front of me and regard the kitchen as her personal Queendom..:)

Reactions: marks and Lambano

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was never In a Christian marriage but for me the dream shows a ‘ cancer ‘ ( disease ) coming into a marriage through the women’s dominance. It’s one thing to share the responsibility if it is mutually agreed on , but it kind of sounds as if it was what the wife wanted to do in a controlling way. Cancer controls, eats away and can bring death, it can also lay hidden and it is often too late to sort out once it has spread ,when a ma
Despite Jeff not being a believer I still accepted him as being in the driving seat, unless it meant me going against something that I had a strong conviction about…..then I would need to stand my ground , explain why I couldn’t comply.
Men and women are so different in personalities that sometimes a women may need to take responsibility of things that other men would not think was right, the key for me is the attitude and reason behind it all.
Cancer can lay hidden and it is often too late to sort out once it has spread …….
Maybe this is a warning that things need to be addressed before it is too late xx

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Submission works two ways; I can't cook for toffee, so if I had a wife and she could cook real good, I'd gladly submit to whatever she put in front of me and regard the kitchen as her personal Queendom..:)

The question is, what happens when the kitchen is closed and a case is being made for how long it's been since you both went out to dinner.

That's when you find out if you can continue paying the price tag on "submission"; one of many such instances.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Growing up in the 1950's/60's the normal thing was for the man to go out to work while the woman stayed home doing the cooking, cleaning, shopping and looking after the kids, a perfect arrangement..:)
Sadly, nowadays because of the "Feminist" creed many women won't do that and think they have to get a job themselves to 'fulfil themselves', so the home and kids take second place.
At school, some of the most unruly kids were the ones whose parents both worked, and they hated going home to a cold empty house after school.

Reactions: marks

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In other words, the verse you are quoting wasn't about wives submitting to husbands.
kinda interesting, imo, that “be subject to” has to be put in parenthesis!
Ephesians 5:22 Lexicon: Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
and that husbands are called to “submit” too, but we never see threads about that one, huh
so i would maybe get a better sense of what was being said in that v, if “submit” had to be added in by a translator, as i am not getting that sense from idios at all,
Strong's Greek: 2398. ἴδιος (idios) -- one's own, distinct
ah well i didnt notice a specific v being Quoted? Might be interesting to see if an actual “submit” is in that one either though eh

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growing up in the 1950's/60's the normal thing was for the man to go out to work while the woman stayed home doing the cooking, cleaning, shopping and looking after the kids, a perfect arrangement..:)
Sadly, nowadays because of the "Feminist" creed many women won't do that and think they have to get a job themselves to 'fulfil themselves', so the home and kids take second place.
At school, some of the most unruly kids were the ones whose parents both worked, and they hated going home to a cold empty house after school.

I wouldn't lay down a hard and fast rule that should never be deviated from or it's "disobedience to God." I think sometimes some husbands can make better parents than the wives do, and in some instances the women make the better bread-winners. Each marriage needs to be free to run on its own dynamics. They just need to not confuse who has headship in the home, which means the man would need to step up when she gets tempted to usurp authority as the one 'bringing home the bacon" so to speak.

My wife and I both have jobs, both make an income, and both do with our money as we please (which I think is the healthiest route to go, and the simplest). We split the bills (I pay more, but we each have our own responsibilities) and the rest is a piece of cake. I don't understand why things have to be so complicated. People just need to trust in themselves and their own relationship with God and with each other, and make smart choices together.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah well i didnt notice a specific v being Quoted? Might be interesting to see if an actual “submit” is in that one either though eh

All in how the word is being translated. "Be subject to" is another plausible translation, and maybe preferable given the push back that the word "submission" usually receives.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was never In a Christian marriage but for me the dream shows a ‘ cancer ‘ ( disease ) coming into a marriage through the women’s dominance. It’s one thing to share the responsibility if it is mutually agreed on , but it kind of sounds as if it was what the wife wanted to do in a controlling way. Cancer controls, eats away and can bring death, it can also lay hidden and it is often too late to sort out once it has spread ,when a ma
Despite Jeff not being a believer I still accepted him as being in the driving seat, unless it meant me going against something that I had a strong conviction about…..then I would need to stand my ground , explain why I couldn’t comply.
Men and women are so different in personalities that sometimes a women may need to take responsibility of things that other men would not think was right, the key for me is the attitude and reason behind it all.
Cancer can lay hidden and it is often too late to sort out once it has spread …….
Maybe this is a warning that things need to be addressed before it is too late xx
@Rita This is why in a marriage between believers prayer and the Scriptures are so vitally important.................

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, this thread may sound archaic to some, but I'm not addressing the unsaved but the saved in this thread.

How serious an issue is it with God if a Christian wife doesn't submit to her husband? Does it bring judgment? Keep in mind that I am NOT talking about a wife needing to submit to her husband's every whim, or become a mere slave in the marriage without any mind of her own. I am simply talking about how when it comes to tough decisions, where headship is in question and someone has to have the final say, that the husband needs to be the one who makes the final determination, especially where making spiritual decisions are concerned.

I offer the following case in point as evidence for it. The impetus for this thread was something a friend recently sent me about a dream her husband had concerning her mother.

It went like this:

He was at my parents' house. He saw his brother in laws but didn't see my siblings. He saw women from a church we used to attend that my parents are still attending. They said, "It's sad to hear about the passing of your mother-in-law." And he agreed, it was sad. They said, "It's too bad she died of prostate cancer."

As she shared with me, prostrate cancer is a man's disease, possible also in women but very rare. I told her the dream likely meant her mother was in danger of coming under judgment from God (an illness of some kind) for "taking too much of a man's role in life," and that it was in some sense connected to the sin she might come under judgement for; that the imagery suggested "her personality is unyielding" in "insisting on having things her way rather than His," which in the eyes of God becomes a serious matter, especially when you are taking the spiritual welfare of others into your own hands unjustly.

She sent back that her mother did indeed take on the man's role in her marriage from early on, and not only began handling the finances but deciding on church matters, and that he simply let her.

My belief is that when we get badly out of line with His will and enter into direct disobedience to His word, judgment can come to correct things. Again, concerning the matter of submission in the home, I am not some wife-beating dictator who thinks women aren't as "intelligent" as men are, so that's not where my position is coming from here. She also mentioned how her mother handles the finances, and I said that sometimes the wife is just better with numbers and keeping records so there's no harm in that, but that it's when she assumes headship over the marriage that the problems will come. My wife handles most of our bills in our marriage and keeps all the files, but she is not the spiritual head of the household.

Thoughts are welcomed, but keep it courteous and respectful. I have great respect for women and as a rule tend to prefer their company over men. I don't think there is any definition in scripture about "superiority" outside the marriage relationship. I simply think that inside the marriage a man and woman are to reflect the relationship between Christ and His bride, and there the Lord is the One in charge.

God bless, and thank you for reading
Hidden In Him

HIM
You have to be kidding me man! Christianity is so far past that.

It is a cultural thing and a time period thing and it sits in the scriptures.

A Bible only person can have 10 wives and 15 concubines and 12 slaves and he can sell his daughters off for sex slavery ....concubinage.... . Nothing in the Bible to stop any of that. If you do not believe me....prove me wrong. At the time, wives were property and of course should obey their lord and master. Christianity handled women more or less the same as the Jews until the 12th century. and Marriage was not required until the 16th century.

Christians have learned a lot from the Holy Spirit since the close of the Bible. None of the above is going to be supported in Protestant churches...except lord and master women which is wrong.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What if she couldn't cook either?:D