[Suggested Read] How to Miss the Point: A Guide to Dimwitted Discourse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see a number of these things taking place in the community here. Hopefully it can get us all thinking about how we handle discourse, debate, and even simple fellowship here on CyB.

#1 is a great start. (This post is done tongue-in-cheek, FYI.)

1. Foster the conviction that all with whom you disagree are personally attacking you.
Even if the individual doesn't know you, your ideas are your identity. Never mind the fact that this introduces all sorts of strange problems for understanding personal identity. That stuff is not important. What is important is that your very person, and all you hold dear, are being assaulted.

http://scgeis.blogspot.ca/2012/08/how-to-miss-point-guide-to-dimwitted.html

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Hahahaha. So true.

I've got another one:

#18. When you are clearly wrong, don't admit, but simply put up some strawmen. If you're lucky, the antagonist will get distracted.

:p

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I been thinking about this place all day. I left a couple months ago because I felt so much pain at the way my Christian Brothers and sisters are so mean to each other. i came here to learn and about went crazy from all the disagreements and the lack of love one for another. Been thinking a lot today and praying for this site and so many of you who do not know i exist. I read every day for nine months or so and ya all almost broke my heart. Thinking about how much I love you but how much I wish we could respect each others experiences and beliefs without the need to take it personal.

I love you all so much and want to be a part without the crying I do over your disagreements.

E

epouraniois

Ha, I know what you write.

I thought the purpose of being here, in this place, was to dig deeper into Scripture, to find out what the Lord has given us as HIS INTERPRETATION.
Our interpretation is of little to no value.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hahahaha. So true.

I've got another one:

#18. When you are clearly wrong, don't admit, but simply put up some strawmen. If you're lucky, the antagonist will get distracted.

:p

Or as an alternative resort to mockery. With luck your antagonist will get mad and respond nastily and get banned. :angry:

Reactions: I am Second

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I find the "attack mode" tends to come from folks who are insecure about what they believe. They resort to bashing others rather than zeroing in on doctrinal differences. They are afraid what they believe may have some errors .... that is tough for any human in any situation.

We need to understand that being insecure is OK and not a weakness , none of us can know the whole truth about everything in the Bible , but if we encounter something that changes our understanding , we should consider it , not resist it outright.

Easy for me to say that now .... but I have twisted in the wind a few times in my 25 years as a Christian , took me a while to see some of the errors of my ways , even longer to be humbled and admit I was wrong.

And it will probably happen again :)

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I find the "attack mode" tends to come from folks who are insecure about what they believe. They resort to bashing others rather than zeroing in on doctrinal differences. They are afraid what they believe may have some errors .... that is tough for any human in any situation.

We need to understand that being insecure is OK and not a weakness , none of us can know the whole truth about everything in the Bible , but if we encounter something that changes our understanding , we should consider it , not resist it outright.

Easy for me to say that now .... but I have twisted in the wind a few times in my 25 years as a Christian , took me a while to see some of the errors of my ways , even longer to be humbled and admit I was wrong.

And it will probably happen again :)

Thank you so much for this post. I remember well when my boat got rocked. I remember well when I questioned everything. I am proud of the fact that I can firmly admit I don't know very much!!! Thank you Father for rocking my boat and letting me know how totally dependent I am upon you to say the right words. Sometimes people are so set in their ways thinking they have all the knowledge and none of us do!!!!! Thank you so much Father in Heaven for humbling me and letting me see that I am not to judge your servants because I am so most often wrong!