Matthew 24

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please use the complete Strong explanation when quoting them regarding genea.

Strong's Concordance
genea: race, family, generation
Original Word: γενεά, ᾶς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: genea
Phonetic Spelling: (ghen-eh-ah')
Definition: race, family, generation
Usage: a generation; if repeated twice or with another time word, practically indicates infinity of time.

Usage: a generation; if repeated twice or with another time word, practically indicates infinity of time.

At last reading (All quotes from Nasb95)

Mathew 24 :34 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Mark 13:30 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Luke 21:32 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place.

Remember : it is said... by Strongs ... "if repeated twice or with another time word, practically indicates infinity of time."

Until is most definitely a TIME word.

Webster: Until, till, and 'til are all used in modern English to denote when something will happen.
~formal : until the time when
~1 of 2 preposition un· til ən-ˈtil -ˈtel; ˈən-ˌtil, -ˌtel, -tᵊl Synonyms of until 1 chiefly Scotland : to 2 used as a function word to indicate continuance (as of an action or condition) to a specified time stayed

Cambridge: Until as a preposition means 'up to (the time that)': We played chess until midnight. (up to midnight)

B1 not before a particular time or event:

Dictionery.com : Until definition: up to the time that or when;

speakspeak . com : Until refers to time.

Finally:

Greek interlinear uses
genea in Mathew 24:34 Matthew 24 Interlinear Bible

genea in Mark 13: 30 Mark 13 Interlinear Bible

genea in Luke 21:32 Luke 21 Interlinear Bible
I used the explanation which Strong applies to Matthew 24:34:

"the whole multitude of men living at the same time"

All other explanations are available via the links.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where was Jesus when He said that?

When you stop denying what is written regarding what Jesus said after He sat down on the Mount of Olives, then you will start admitting what Jesus said after He had sat down on the Mount of Olives. Easy, is it not?

When you stop denying what is written regarding what Jesus first said after He sat down on the Mount of Olives, then you will start admitting the fact that it had nothing to do with the temple He had spoken about not long before, i.e before His short journey between the Temple Mount and the Mount of Olives, i.e it had nothing to do with the disciples' question regarding the temple He had spoken to them about before walking down the Temple Mount, crossing the Kidron Valley and walking up the Mount of Olives.
Jesus' words weren't sufficient for you?

"There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

How far does "here" extend?

Stop substituting fantasy and fallacy for history and reality.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus' words weren't sufficient for you?

"There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

How far does "here" extend?

Stop substituting fantasy and fallacy for history and reality.
Do you have a Bible?

Because you have just made it 100% clear you do not read it.

READ YOUR BIBLE!!

--- Every day Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, but at night he went and stayed on the Mount of Olives. --- Luke 21:37

In the Temple:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to her, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not! Behold, your house is left to you desolate. For I say to you, You shall not see Me from now on until you say, "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."

"Now as Jesus was going out of the temple courts and walking away, his disciples came to show him the temple buildings. And he said to them, "Do you see all these things? I tell you the truth, not one stone will be left on another. All will be torn down!" (Matthew 23:37-24:2).

--- Every day Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, but at night he went and stayed on the Mount of Olives. --- Luke 21:37

--- As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" Jesus answered them,

"Watch out that no one misleads you. For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and they will mislead many.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. Make sure that you are not alarmed, for this must happen, but the end is still to come.
For nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these things are the beginning of birth pains.

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole inhabited earth as a testimony to all the nations, and at that time the end will come. At that time they will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you. You will be hated by all the nations because of my name. At that time many will stumble and fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another.

And many false prophets will appear and deceive many, and because lawlessness will increase so much, the love of many will grow cold. But the person who endures to the end will be saved.

THE VERY FIRST THINGS JESUS BEGAN TO SPEAK ABOUT AFTER SITTING DOWN ON THE MOUNT OF OLIVES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STONE TEMPLE OR WITH HIS DISCIPLES' QUESTION REGARDING THE STONE TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM. AND THIS IS THE SAME IN ALL THREE SYNOPTIC GOSPELS.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE VERY FIRST THINGS JESUS BEGAN TO SPEAK ABOUT AFTER SITTING DOWN ON THE MOUNT OF OLIVES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STONE TEMPLE OR WITH HIS DISCIPLES' QUESTION REGARDING THE STONE TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM.
You have given a supreme example of self-delusion here. The entire Olivet Discourse of Matt. 24-25 was related to the dissolution of the physical temple system and its priesthood in those latter days of the first century before Christ's second coming bodily return in AD 70.

The reason we know this is Herod's temple under discussion is the mention of the "secret chambers" in which the false christs would be reported as being seen there (Matthew 24:26).

Do you realize what those "secret chambers" were? Herod's temple had two separate rooms called "the chamber of secrets". Anonymous donations to the poor were collected in one room, to be dispensed (also anonymously) to the poor at varying intervals. The other chamber received anonymous donations for the upkeep of the temple.

This prediction concerning the claim of the "false christs" appearing in those inner "secret chambers" of the temple had to occur while there was still a temple with its "secret chambers" still in existence, which had to take place before AD 70 when that temple was torn down.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are the Ninevites and Queen of Sheba able to make judgment against the adulterous generation of evil doers? Is it not because the Ninevites repented at the preaching of the Word of God?
You are completely missing the point Christ was making, and which I am emphasizing.

You will remember the verse John 1:11 about "He came unto His own, and His own received Him not." This was Christ's own personal earthly ministry period on earth being spoken about in John 1. Because of the rejection of Christ and His personal ministry among them, the Israelites of that first-century generation would be worthy of judgment by both the Queen of Sheba and the Ninevites. These had both given heed to the words of Solomon and Jonas respectively, even though Solomon and Jonas were not nearly as important as Christ and His message.

Christ once warned the weeping women on the way to the cross that they should not weep for Him, but for themselves and their children. That was because of the horrible tribulations which those women and their children ("THIS generation") would experience personally in the first century times, in judgment for that first-century generation of Israelites being "the betrayers and murderers" of Christ.

Christ already defined what "THIS generation" meant, and it was His own contemporaries of that first century time period.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The entire Olivet Discourse of Matt. 24-25 was related to the dissolution of the physical temple system and its priesthood in those latter days of the first century before Christ's second coming bodily return in AD 70.
Only according to your own self-delusion. Not according to the scripture itself.

Most of us prefer to believe scripture, letting scripture speak for itself. But you prefer to believe the lies you have told yourself about what Jesus' entire Olivet Discourse was about - even though the location, audience and subject Jesus introduced after sitting down on the Mount of Olives had changed from what Jesus said about the stone temple when He was located inside and just outside the temple, and what He began to speak about on the Mount of Olves.

You ignore audience, location, the first subject Jesus spoke about after sitting down on the Mount of Olives and anything else that interferes with the self-delusion that you and all Preterists and Part-Preterists suffer from as a result of believing the lies you tell yourselves.

I can't help you out of it. No one except the Lord Himself can. I gave up with your Part-Preterist self-delusions long ago, so I won't respond to any more of your posts addressed to me. It's pointless.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zao, you ignore the entire record of first-century historical events. Even when they started being recorded in the book of Acts in fulfillment of Christ's words in Matt. 24-25. This is self-delusion on your part. I have sat in your seat before for many decades, and by God's mercy have been shown where I was once taught a great deal of error. People like to stay in their comfort zone - I get it - but I have moved on from there by studying the language of scripture itself instead of what some other supposed "authority" told me it was saying.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
THE VERY FIRST THINGS JESUS BEGAN TO SPEAK ABOUT AFTER SITTING DOWN ON THE MOUNT OF OLIVES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STONE TEMPLE OR WITH HIS DISCIPLES' QUESTION REGARDING THE STONE TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM. AND THIS IS THE SAME IN ALL THREE SYNOPTIC GOSPELS.

Whose words were those?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Whose words were those?

Where was Jesus when He said what you just quoted? On the Mount of Olives?

READ YOUR BIBLE!!

In the Temple:

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to her, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not! Behold, your house is left to you desolate. For I say to you, You shall not see Me from now on until you say, "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."

"Now as Jesus was going out of the temple courts and walking away, his disciples came to show him the temple buildings. And he said to them, "Do you see all these things? I tell you the truth, not one stone will be left on another. All will be torn down!" (Matthew 23:37-24:2).

--- As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" Jesus answered them,

"Watch out that no one misleads you. For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and they will mislead many.

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. Make sure that you are not alarmed, for this must happen, but the end is still to come.
For nation will rise up in arms against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these things are the beginning of birth pains.

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole inhabited earth as a testimony to all the nations, and at that time the end will come. At that time they will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you. You will be hated by all the nations because of my name. At that time many will stumble and fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another.

And many false prophets will appear and deceive many, and because lawlessness will increase so much, the love of many will grow cold. But the person who endures to the end will be saved.

Reactions: Keraz

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Here" seems to be missing.

What are "all these things"?

Jesus was at the temple when He declared Matthew 24:2.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"Here" seems to be missing.

Read your Bible.

You're showing you cannot answer a simple question like

"Where was Jesus when He said what He said about the stones of the Jerusalem temple?"

Which means you need to read your Bible.

Second question:

Where was Jesus when He said what he said about the end of the Age and His coming, and the tribulation and persecution His disciples were going to experience?

Read your Bible before you answer because so far all you've done is show that you don't know the answer to either question, which means that you do not read your Bible enough.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Read your Bible.

"Where was Jesus when He said what He said about the stones of the Jerusalem temple?"

Second question:

Where was Jesus when He said what he said about the end of the Age and His coming, and the tribulation and persecution His disciples were going to experience?

Read your Bible before you answer because so far all you've done is show that you don't know the answer to either question, which means that you do not read your Bible enough.

Which means you don't understand what you're reading.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have given a supreme example of self-delusion here. The entire Olivet Discourse of Matt. 24-25 was related to the dissolution of the physical temple system and its priesthood in those latter days of the first century before Christ's second coming bodily return in AD 70.
Hi 3Rs,

Let us go through the Olivet discourse and see what was said that can be verified.

Matthew 24:1-25

New American Standard Bible 1995

Signs of Christ’s Return​

24:1 Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him.

2 And He said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.” (We know that in 70AD the temple was totally destroyed. NO ONE can argue that.)

3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

4 And Jesus answered and said to them, “See to it that no one misleads you.

5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. Certainly this is still going on today. Who or when the actual first one was, likely was not while Jesus was still alive.
This has an exhaustive list starting in the 17th century ...... List of people claimed to be Jesus - Wikipedia
This has Seven men from acound the world who each claim to be Jesus.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/seven-men-around-the-world-who-each-claim-to-be-jesus- christ/2W27IHL7PIQLTO5SFAPPAMN5HM/

If you have a record of people between , ummm, lets say AD 29 or 30 up to AD 70 please tell me . ...

6 You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. I know of no time from then til now that there were none

7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. (Ditto)

8 But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. The beginning... they lived among that always from time to time as we do today.... Yet they were just the beginning

9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.
10 At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.
11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.
12 Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.
13 But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
14 This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come. Certainly these 6 points were a fact of life back then... and they are today also.

Perilous Times​

15 “Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.
17 Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house.
18 Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak.
19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
20 But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.
21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.
22 Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.
23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘There He is,’ do not believe him.
24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.
25 Behold, I have told you in advance.

IS THIS AN ODD PLACE FOR JESUS TO JUST HAVE SAID "Behold, I have told you in advance."

LET US CONTINUE....

26 So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them.

27 For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. Some say that in AD 70 this happened. Why did no historian record that ???????

28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

The Glorious Return​

29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. I have read no historian that recorded this. Can you provide something?

30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. Again nothing, nada, is historically recorded.

31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. Just what do you think Josephus was doing at this time? Pretty bad historian eh?

Parable of the Fig Tree​

32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;
33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.
34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

This is cut short due to length and I await a reply if you desire.

Reactions: Zao is life

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read your Bible.
I posted it above

24:1 Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him.

2 And He said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.”

3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

But this has always been accepted as included in the Olivet Discourses.....

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Read your Bible.

Second question:

More questions.

Where in Scripture are the disciples, or any believers, referred to as "things"?

What recognized pre-19th century Bible expositor denies that Matthew 24:2 refers to the physical temple?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I posted it above

2 And He said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.”

But this has always been accepted as included in the Olivet Discourses.....

In the Temple:

--- As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

It's included in the Olivet Discourse because historically most Christian theologians and commentators have interpreted what Jesus said on the Mount of Olives to be referring to His disciples' question regarding what He had said in the temple and just outside the temple (about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem) - but they have always done so without paying any regard to what Jesus actually began speaking about after He sat down on the Mount of Olives, and when He began to reply to the disciples' question.

1.png
2.png

etc.

So I asked a simple question because brother @covenantee made the statement that the entire Olivet Discourse is about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, and does not distinguish between what Jesus said to the Pharisees in the temple, repeated to His disciples as He was coming out of the temple (on one hand), and what Jesus first began speaking about after He sat down on the Mount of Olives and began to reply to the disciples' questions, on the other hand.

Covantee knows the answer, but he will not admit the answer. For some, scripture must comply with a certain doctrine, you know.

Last edited:

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So I asked a simple question because brother @covenantee made the statement that the entire Olivet Discourse is about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem
Link to the post in which I made such a statement.

You're confusing me with someone else.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's included in the Olivet Discourse because historically most Christian theologians and commentators have interpreted what Jesus said on the Mount of Olives to be referring to His disciples' question regarding what He had said in the temple and just outside the temple about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem - but they have always done so without paying any regard to what Jesus actually began speaking about after He sat down on the Mount of Olives, and when He began to reply to the disciples' question.
Historically, no Christian theologians and commentators have interpreted Matthew 24:2 as referring to anything other than the physical temple.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Link to the post in which I made such a statement.

You're confusing me with someone else.
24 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Jesus answered His disciples' questions in the order in which they were asked.

The first question related to these things i.e. the buildings/stones of the temple and their fate.

The initial ensuring verses of the discourse answer that question, in Jesus' description of the signs which would precede the coming destruction.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Historically, no Christian theologians and commentators have interpreted Matthew 24:2 as referring to anything other than the physical temple.
Well I won't argue, I take your word for it regarding the above statement. I said "most" because I do not know if it's "all" or not, so the word "most" was safer for me to use than the word "all".