Symbolism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=12pt]The definition of “symbolism” is “the practice of representing things by means of symbols or of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events or relationships.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In my opinion, those who interpret scripture, especially prophetic scriptures emphasizing symbolism are off track. There is no denying that scripture uses symbolism or symbolic language occasionally but usually it defines it within the context. Ex. Rev.17:3 - “So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Symbolism explained: Rev. 17:9 - “…The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Rev. 17:12 - “The ten horns which you saw are ten kings…” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Rev. 17:18 - “And the woman whom you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The problem with over emphasizing symbolism is that the possibilities become endless. Trying to find real truth depending on symbolism is like chasing unicorns and leprechauns. You might get lucky but I wouldn’t bet my life on it, which some of these people do.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]To me there is only one logical way to discern the bible. I like this “Golden Rule of Interpreting Bible Prophecy” - “When the plain sense of scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense, but take every word at its primary, literal meaning unless the facts of the immediate context clearly indicate otherwise.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](I found this on the internet several years ago and do not know who to give credit to. It is not original to me)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Symbolism also makes up its own rules like: a word once used symbolically must always be considered in its symbolic sense when used again. SDA’s do this with their “year for a day principle” which isn’t a “principle” at all. Usually, if such a symbolic time line is given, the scriptures say so within the context, and should only be considered within that context, not applied to every other prophetic timeline given.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Mostly, it’s no big deal but problems arise when one feels symbolism lends itself to generalities or vagueness. We must ask ourselves, what is the precedent that God gave us when we look back upon fulfilled prophecy? I would say the vast majority of fulfilled prophecy has been pretty specific and mostly literal once the symbolic language is understood. To use symbolism to define, let’s say the Revelation, as a prophecy of general good times and bad times continuously repeating themselves is at best careless and at worst foolish, considering the record we have to follow. God isn’t vague and He hasn’t used the symbolic languages to try and cloak the end-times in some veiled mystery He left us to decipher. The bible tells us that His sheep know His voice and the Holy Spirit is the one that brings all things to our understanding.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The question becomes then, why do His sheep have multitudes of answers to the prophetic equations? It’s really not that hard to understand and not really that far apart. If you were to measure the amount of agreements between different aspects of eschatology I think you would come up with more areas of agreements over disagreements when you boil things down to the common denominators.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Let’s take the fact/timing of the rapture. Instead of creating division wouldn’t it be wiser to try and follow a common wise course of action such as; all Christians should be ready to go and ready to stay depending on which way it plays out. It’s never wise to put all our eggs in one basket, prophetically speaking. If everyone were to follow that simple guideline than the worst case scenario on each end of the spectrum would be that we spent time and money on resources our unsaved loved ones could use or we aren’t shocked and surprised at the trials and tribulations that come our way and we will have the mental and spiritual fortitude to be willing martyrs if God so desires. Wouldn’t that make the Body of Christ stronger and more unified and closer to becoming a church w/o spot or wrinkle? If we tried, we could probably find all these common denominators in these divisions we call denominations and eliminate them so that we can truly be as one as our Lord commands.[/SIZE]

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Of course the problem with the timing of a so called 'rapture to heaven' is: there isn't one. There is a gathering to Himself at Jesus' Return to earth. May be similar to how Philip was transported. Acts 8:39 The 'golden rule' is quite right.

Symbolism in the Bible is not really hard to figure out, mostly explained, as you say. But fire, means fire and earthquakes mean the earth will shake and shudder. Isaiah 13:13