Tammy Peterson: Rosary Testimony - (wife of Jordan Peterson)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus founded a (ONE) Church, and promised to remain with His Church until the end of the world, protecting it from teaching doctrinal error. If you disagree with the Catholic Church because you personally interpret some part of Scripture that you think opposes what Christ's Church teaches, then it is you who are wrong, not the Church. St. Paul says, in 1 Tim 3:15, that the Church is the "pillar and foundation of truth." Nowhere does he say someone coming along 2000 years later, personally interpreting a translation of the Bible into English, is anywhere near that.
Did you ever read the parable of the “wheat and the weeds”? (Matt 13:36-43)

The ”weeds” were a counterfeit form of “Christianity” introduced by the devil to take people away from the truth that Christ taught……it had happened before with Judaism and all satan needs are men in authority whom he can manipulate and lead others off in the wrong direction. The devil knows human nature well enough to use his old tricks because he knows that they still work.

When Jesus comes as judge of the whole earth, he will reject those who claim him as their “Lord” even though they offer their excuses and claim ‘many powerful works in his name’…..yet his response is “I NEVER knew you”…..Never” means “not ever”…so those who imagine that what came out of a foretold apostasy could ever teach the truth, do not know what the Bible teaches at all. (Matt 7:21-23)

The apostles said that this apostasy was “already at work” in their day….so once the restraining influence of the apostles was no longer “in the way”, that apostasy went on to create the Roman Catholic church….it never was the “one church” that Christ began….it was a complete deviation.

• Love
Reactions: TheHC and Lizbeth

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where do church pews come from? Certainly NOT from the Bible…..
Who was seated in this scripture below? (leadership, or congregation?)

1 Corinthians 14:29-30 NIV
Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.
I don’t recall anyone arguing about where people sat….do you?
That is a really silly argument when there are important things that need discussing…..prayer is an important thing and the one hearing our prayers cannot have impediments in us that make our prayers invalid. (Isa 1:15) He has better things to do that listen to the same things repeated over and over again by people too lazy to have a proper conversation from their own heart with their Maker. If our own children responded to us like that, we’d have them assessed for a mental disorder. :IDK:

All prayers have to be said through the name of our only mediator (1 Tim 2:5)……the RCC has many intercessors. Mary is venerated on the same level as Christ…..there is no way that Roman Catholicism is in any way based on scripture that is not totally bent out of shape, or completely ignored.

• Love
Reactions: TheHC and Cassandra

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's NOT what that means.
The prophets spoke from God (verbatim/prophetically) not in their own words.
Doesn't your Magisterium interpret scripture "officially"?
As did the Bible translators who gave us the scriptures in our own language.
They were using doctrinal bias as well.

2 Peter 1:20-21 NIV
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture
came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets,
though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

/
First of all, translations of the Bible into other languages (English, etc.) is not guaranteed to be correct. In fact, there are always some words/phrases that do not translate well from the ancient Greek into other langauges, and the best that can be done is an approximation. Or in some cases, the translators try go simplify things, on their own authority, thus losing the full meaning.

For example, your quote from NIV of 2 Peter 1:20-21 varies significantly from mine:

2 Peter 1:20-21
20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,
21 for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.

Check other versions and you will see there are differences.

The Magisterium interprets Scripture according to the authority given it by Christ. Authority is "given," not "taken." Christ "gave" His authority to teach and preach and to forgive sins, etc., to the Apostles, who likewise gave it to their successors, the bishops, who have done likewise for 2000 years now. Add to that Holy Tradition, which is the oral teachings of Christ, given to the Apostles, who gave it to their successors, the bishops. Holy Tradition is the source of the New Testament and predated it. The Apostles after Pentecost didn't run to their homes, grab paper and pen, and begin writing. They went out and, as Jesus commanded, began to teach and preach...orally! Only later did they begin to write down some of what they taught orally. And it was never with a mind that they were writing a New Testament. The New Testament was not officially decided until the late 4th century by the Councils of Rome, Hippo, & Carthage. And even then, they only chose 27 of the 300+ documents that were considered worth analyzing. They thought some, like the Shepherd of Hermas and the Didiche, would surely make the cut, but they didn't.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a Catholic nor could according to where I am now ever again, I believe, be a practicing Catholic, but should I or can I honestly denounce all experiences of Catholics?

I have at least three positive testimonies of my own experiences with God. One was when I was baptized Catholic at the age of 6 and felt the presence of God; a second was when I was praying alone in a field at the age of 10 years and made a vow to God; the third was when God smote my heart after confessing my sins to a priest at a young age. Each of those experiences strengthened my faith in God.

I stopped regular attendance as a Catholic not long after finishing high school in 1961. God called me to Him in 1976 but no longer as a Catholic.

In spite of those positive experiences, I believe that God called me out of there [out of Catholicism that is].

Consider also the following experience of Jesus:

Mt 15:22And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
Mt 15:23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
Mt 15:24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mt 15:25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
Mt 15:26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.
Mt 15:27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
Mt 15:28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Even though Jesus she was not one of the children natural Israel, her faith was great, and as a result her daughter was healed.
Yes, God has people in every church. He is calling them all out "Come out of Her My people...

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t recall anyone arguing about where people sat….do you?
You missed the point entirely. You wrote...

Aunty Jane said:
Where do prayer beads come from? Certainly NOT from the Bible…..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We do lots of things that don't come from the Bible.
Like have congregational seating. (pews) No chruch coffee in the Bible either.
Or church potlucks with lime Jello. - LOL

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For example, your quote from NIV of 2 Peter 1:20-21 varies significantly from mine:

2 Peter 1:20-21
20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,
21 for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.
The question is, how do you make your claim based on that "proof-text"?
It has nothing to do with a READING interpretation, only to do with a WRITING interpretation. (or the lack thereof)

/

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You missed the point entirely. You wrote...

Aunty Jane said:
Where do prayer beads come from? Certainly NOT from the Bible…..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We do lots of things that don't come from the Bible.
Like have congregational seating. (pews) No chruch coffee in the Bible either.
Or church potlucks with lime Jello. - LOL
Yes I did ask that as it has great significance for those who choose to remain in the Catholic church.

And since ‘pews, church coffee or church potlucks with lime jello’ hold no significance for me at all, I am at a loss as to why you would even mention them. Do you just assume that I am that kind of Christian? I assure you I am not.

Since being seated in a congregation meeting was mentioned in the scripture you quoted, what does it matter what they sat on?

Getting back to the discussion at hand….

Prayer beads pre-date Christianity…..that in itself should ring some alarm bells since God has told his worshippers from the beginning that they were not to adopt the religious practices of the pagan nations around them….Jesus said not to mindlessly repeat things because speaking to our God should come from the heart, not just from something learned by the mind and endlessly repeated on every occasion…..God is not a moron…he actually likes intelligent conversation…..like the ones he had with his son when he was on earth. Do we imagine Jesus endlessly repeating the same phrases over and over to his Father? :ummm:

Does God heal those who ask him for a cure for their disease? Some obviously recover quite well after their medical interventions, but others barely make it to the 5 years mark. If all are asking the same God for a cure…using the power of the same holy spirit……why is the answer “NO” for some but not for others?

If some Catholics get healed through the rosary and others do not….what of Protestants who just pray?…..but still get no healing? Does God play favorites? Did you know that there were no failures in the first century….everyone that was brought to Jesus was cured instantly and when they woke up in the morning, they were still cured...unlike many today who find their maladies returned the day after.

Do you know how many Catholic people attend Lourdes every year seeking a cure? Do you know how many return home still sick and dying? What is wrong with that picture?

Reactions: TheHC

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would be interested to know more about that. (and how the beads assist)

I have been using breath prayers on occasion as a contemplation. (a different thing I know)
I'll pick a text and make my own. Like...

Behold, the Lamb of God... (inhale)
Who takes away the sin of the world. (exhale)

/
Everything seems to have a way of testing hearts. There is no power but of God ultimately, but if anyone is giving glory, thanks and ascribing power to anything or anyone (including a formula or activity or religious organization) other than the Lord God they have stepped into a snare of idolatry. What does it profit to gain the whole world but lose one's soul?

If the Lord has been gracious to show mercy to anyone (in spite of their mistakes), all thanks and glory belong to Him alone.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no power but of God ultimately, but if anyone is giving glory, thanks and ascribing power to anything or anyone (including a formula or activity or religious organization) other than the Lord God they have stepped into a snare of idolatry.
That's a good point, actually.
A case was made for the effectiveness of the Rosary. A claim that it decided the outcome of a war.
While I appreciated the educational aspect of the claim, it didn't sit well with me otherwise.
And for the very reason you have stated. Thanks.

/

Reactions: Lizbeth

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer beads pre-date Christianity…..
Lots of things predate Christianity.
Baptism, for instance. Does that matter to you?

@Peterlag has informed us about his belief that baptism pre-dates Christianity.
He only believes in the Baptism with the Holy Spirit for the church, from Pentecost and beyond.

/

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He only believes in the Baptism with the Holy Spirit for the church, from Pentecost and beyond.

/

You guys kill me with these statements that it's my opinion or my belief when the facts of history are here to see. Water baptism is a carryover from part of the Levitical Law. There are many examples of people in the Old Testament who would wash themselves with water as a final step to being clean. Water baptism was an outward sign of washing, and then you would be clean to God. Although the term "baptism" is not used to describe the Jewish rituals, the purification rites in Halakha, Jewish law and tradition, called tvilah, have some similarity to baptism, and the two have been linked. The tvilah is the act of immersion in naturally sourced water, called a mikva. In the past Hebrew Bible and other Jewish texts, immersion in water for ritual purification was established for restoration to a condition of "ritual purity" in specific circumstances.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys kill me with these statements that it's my opinion or my belief when the facts of history are here to see. Water baptism is a carryover from part of the Levitical Law. There are many examples of people in the Old Testament who would wash themselves with water as a final step to being clean. Water baptism was an outward sign of washing, and then you would be clean to God. Although the term "baptism" is not used to describe the Jewish rituals, the purification rites in Halakha, Jewish law and tradition, called tvilah, have some similarity to baptism, and the two have been linked. The tvilah is the act of immersion in naturally sourced water, called a mikva. In the past Hebrew Bible and other Jewish texts, immersion in water for ritual purification was established for restoration to a condition of "ritual purity" in specific circumstances.
Thanks. That helps to prove my point.
Let's see how @Aunty Jane responds.

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post, thanks.
I have heard this from many former Catholics.
What is it about the RCC that causes such determined separation?
My Catholicism was strongly tied to the only assembly with which I had a connection until high school graduation. My mother separated from my father a few months before I finished high school [1961]and moved to another city. I lived with her during my first attempt at college. I tried attending mass at another Catholic Church at that time, but I found nothing there. I did not attend mass again until I was in Viet Nam. I also failed to connect there.
Perhaps it happens with Protestantism as well. I just don't notice it as much. ???
I attended Pentecostal and/or Protestant assemblies faithfully from 1976 until 2018 except for a ten-year gap [approx. 1992-2002].

In 2018 when they pushed my old pastor out, I went out as well.

Since then, I have not belonged to a physical church, but I have never stopped serving God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Catholicism was strongly tied to the only assembly with which I had a connection until high school graduation. My mother separated from my father a few months before I finished high school [1961]and moved to another city. I lived with her during my first attempt at college. I tried attending mass at another Catholic Church at that time, but I found nothing there. I did not attend mass again until I was in Viet Nam. I also failed to connect there.

I attended Pentecostal and/or Protestant assemblies faithfully from 1976 until 2018 except for a ten-year gap [approx. 1992-2002].

In 2018 when they pushed my old pastor out, I went out as well.

Since then, I have not belonged to a physical church, but I have never stopped serving God.
Thanks for that explanation/testimony. That makes sense.

Many Christians are learning that the institution of the church just doesn't work for them.
I have attended for most of my life and still do. But I could easily find a reason to leave.
The current situation is good, especially for my wife. So, I want to be a support to her.

And frankly, our relationship with God should be primary.
A good physical church is just icing on the cake.

1700503965751.jpeg

/

Reactions: amadeus

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Baptism as practiced in Christianity, does not predate the first century at all. The Jews did not practice baptism. Their ritual washing (Mikveh) was not a one off dedication to God as a disciple of his son.

The apostle Peter described water baptism in relation to the waters that saved Noah and his family….
“in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.
21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”
(1 Peter 3:20-21)

One Jewish source describes the Mikveh ritual as follows….

“Women who go to the mikvah typically immerse naked after cleaning their body of any stray hairs or dead skin, and traditionally a witness is present to ensure the immersion is complete. There is an accompanying blessing, and the custom is to submerge three times. (A mikvah is any naturally derived body of water of at least 150 gallons. While lakes and oceans qualify, most Jews use specially constructed indoor mikvahs.)

Men who use the mikvah monthly have adapted the ritual in different ways. Ozur Bass, who has been doing it for 23 years, says he submerges four times, each time facing a different direction while meditating over one of the four Hebrew letters of God’s name. When he’s done, he sings the “Yedid Nefesh” hymn, traditionally sung before Friday evening prayers. He says a blessing beforehand but has no witness.

Some couples try to serve as each witnesses for each other, when possible; few mikvahs permit simultaneous use by men and women.”

Jewish Mikveh
Apparently they charge money for the privilege these days….

With Christian baptism, no one baptizes themselves as it is a public event where witnesses observe a person dedicating their lives to God as a disciple of his son. It is a one off, symbolic ‘death, burial and resurrection’ in dying to a former life course and rising to do the will of God in your life from that day forward.
Mikveh was a repeated ritual cleansing of the body. Not the same at all.

A little research would have clarified that for you.
I believe that the Bible disagrees with @Peterlag. Baptism with the holy spirit is only for the elect…..all Christians must undergo water baptism first. Not all Christians are ‘elected’.

Jesus told Nicodemus…..”Most truly I say to you, unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.” (John 3:5) Water baptism precedes baptism with the holy spirit as an unbaptized person is in no position to qualify to be a ‘king and priest’ in God’s Kingdom (Rev 20:6)…this is a condition of entry.
Only after they become dedicated disciples of Christ can they even qualify for ‘election’. And that is God’s choosing, not something anyone can volunteer for. Even Jesus, when choosing his apostles, spent the whole night in prayer with his Father in their selection.
Do you understand what ‘election’ is?

Those who went to John the Baptist for baptism to demonstrate their repentance over failing to observe God’s laws, had to be baptized again as disciples of Christ…..the two baptisms were very different, but for Jews very necessary as John was sent to “prepare the way” for the coming of their Messiah. Those who presented themselves to John were then ready for Jesus’ ministry.

In presenting himself for baptism, Jesus also was signaling the beginning of his role as Messiah….It was also a one off baptism, but not for the same reason as any others. He had no sins for which to be forgiven, or to be cleansed, which is why John hesitated to baptize him. So not all baptisms mean the same thing.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who went to John the Baptist for baptism to demonstrate their repentance over failing to observe God’s laws had to be baptized again as disciples of Christ…..the two baptisms were very different...
The two baptisms were very different? How so?

/

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The two baptisms were very different? How so?
John 1:6…”There came a man who was sent as a representative of God; his name was John. 7 This man came as a witness, in order to bear witness about the light, so that people of all sorts might believe through him. 8 He was not that light, but he was meant to bear witness about that light.”

Luke 3:2-3……(see also Luke 1:13-17)
“in the days of chief priest Anʹnas and of Caʹia·phas, God’s declaration came to John the son of Zech·a·riʹah in the wilderness.
3 So he went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching baptism in symbol of repentance for forgiveness of sins.”

So John’s baptism was only for the Jews as a symbol of their repentance over sins committed against God law. Whereas Jesus’ baptism was for a different reason….a unique one.
Christian baptism follows after the model that Jesus set….it was the beginning of a spiritual journey and a promise to do God’s will in life as Jesus did. It was later opened up to gentiles…

All these baptism were full immersion baptisms because of the symbol of what going under the water and rising up again meant. Dying to a former course and pledging to enter a new life in imitation of the Christ, Jesus. This also invalidates infant baptism because there is no proxy arrangement…..no one can decide for an infant to become a Christian. They must make that decision for themselves when they are of age.

Reactions: Cassandra and TheHC

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you ever read the parable of the “wheat and the weeds”? (Matt 13:36-43)

The ”weeds” were a counterfeit form of “Christianity” introduced by the devil to take people away from the truth that Christ taught……it had happened before with Judaism and all satan needs are men in authority whom he can manipulate and lead others off in the wrong direction. The devil knows human nature well enough to use his old tricks because he knows that they still work.

When Jesus comes as judge of the whole earth, he will reject those who claim him as their “Lord” even though they offer their excuses and claim ‘many powerful works in his name’…..yet his response is “I NEVER knew you”…..Never” means “not ever”…so those who imagine that what came out of a foretold apostasy could ever teach the truth, do not know what the Bible teaches at all. (Matt 7:21-23)

The apostles said that this apostasy was “already at work” in their day….so once the restraining influence of the apostles was no longer “in the way”, that apostasy went on to create the Roman Catholic church….it never was the “one church” that Christ began….it was a complete deviation.
You are so right!
(It seems you speak the “pure language”.)

You know, we can go “round & round” on doctrine with people…. Jesus was aware that the truth He received from his Father would get twisted, but Jesus cut through all of that, by saying to look for fruitage, ie., actions & behaviors that would identify His followers. (Matthew 7:20) Jesus also said that “all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” - John 13:34,35

This love transcends all boundaries, man made or otherwise. There is no stipulation or partiality with Christlike love, since God is its source. Acts 10:34,35; Galatians 5:22.

If leaders of a religious institution which profess Christ, haven’t built up a reputation of showing love, especially during conflict, then the identifying mark isn’t there. As they say, “move on.”

“Keep on seeking…”

Reactions: Aunty Jane