Teh Shack - Not my testimony

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please watch - this is teh God I know - it is the author if the book the shack and His life and how it came about, and if you need to know about love- start at around 50 min he is so spot on abput God,

God bless

mjrhealth, why do you want to make me cry this morning? I read the shack a couple of years ago when my life was unraveling. Going to God and seeking Him was new. I hadn't reached for His word yet. But here was a book "The Shack" and I couldn't read a few pages without sobbing and I couldn't figure out why. Watching the video this morning took me back to that beginning of reaching for a God I assumed hated me.

I can see why the movie and book were controversial since it doesn't confine God to a neat box. But the message is profound: The shack is what is on the inside. The place of shame. The place you hide all your addictions. The place you hide all your secrets and failures. The house of "I am not".

I am not smart enough.
I am not quick enough.
I am not beautiful enough.
I am not rich enough.
I am not...I am not...I am not.
The house of shame: we drag the house of shame(the shack) with us. We do anything to paint a different image(a facade)over the shack to be acceptable and to get approval from others...but they don't know about the shack. Maybe that is not word for word with what the author said is the meaning behind it.

I never considered there is a shack inside of us all.

Living in the grace of one day. Thank you for sharing, mjrhealth! I really needed to be reminded and just so you know, I would hang around you while your "crap" impurities come to the surface. We could heal together.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have the book, I have given the book as a gift, and I have seen the movie. It is one of the highlights of this past ten years. Excellent!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that whenever a Christian speaks about love, forgiveness, acceptance he or she is a heretic?

Rob Bell
Richard Rohr
Thomas Merton
Thomas Keating
Dallas Willard
Rick Warren

The list goes on and on.....

The more decent and kind you are the more likely you will be eaten by your own
This is what it means to be hated for Christ’s sake, btw
Not acting like a self righteous jerk who runs around telling people how right you are and how wrong they are

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A quote from a critique by John Ellis, about William Paul Young and his 2017 book 'Lies We Believe About God' :
"The author of The Shack, Wm. Paul Young is a universalist, a heretic."
Here's the link: writer-of-the-shack-wm-paul-young-outs-himself-as-a-heretic
Like He said the religious hate Him, but when He spoke, i realized he is talking about my God the one that christians claim to follow yet dont know Him,the religious cant afford you to know God because than you wont need them, and we dont anyway.

and I am not at all surprised by @tabletalk answer.

Just bought the book today, should have it finished quick.

Reactions: Willie T

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mjrhealth, why do you want to make me cry this morning? I read the shack a couple of years ago when my life was unraveling. Going to God and seeking Him was new. I hadn't reached for His word yet. But here was a book "The Shack" and I couldn't read a few pages without sobbing and I couldn't figure out why. Watching the video this morning took me back to that beginning of reaching for a God I assumed hated me.

I can see why the movie and book were controversial since it doesn't confine God to a neat box. But the message is profound: The shack is what is on the inside. The place of shame. The place you hide all your addictions. The place you hide all your secrets and failures. The house of "I am not".

I am not smart enough.
I am not quick enough.
I am not beautiful enough.
I am not rich enough.
I am not...I am not...I am not.
The house of shame: we drag the house of shame(the shack) with us. We do anything to paint a different image(a facade)over the shack to be acceptable and to get approval from others...but they don't know about the shack. Maybe that is not word for word with what the author said is the meaning behind it.

I never considered there is a shack inside of us all.

Living in the grace of one day. Thank you for sharing, mjrhealth! I really needed to be reminded and just so you know, I would hang around you while your "crap" impurities come to the surface. We could heal together.
Ive known that for a long time, never saw it as a shack more like a fortress.

Reactions: Willie T and pia

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that whenever a Christian speaks about love, forgiveness, acceptance he or she is a heretic?

Rob Bell
Richard Rohr
Thomas Merton
Thomas Keating
Dallas Willard
Rick Warren

The list goes on and on.....

The more decent and kind you are the more likely you will be eaten by your own
This is what it means to be hated for Christ’s sake, btw
Not acting like a self righteous jerk who runs around telling people how right you are and how wrong they are

Aspen, you said "The more decent and kind you are the more likely you will be eaten by your own
This is what it means to be hated for Christ’s sake, btw"

2 Corinthians 12:15 "And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@mjrhealth Good thread. :)

Yes I read the book. I actually did not like it. I threw it out.
Then I saw him interviewed on a Christian program. He shared his horrid and strange childhood. And why he chose a Big chubby black lady to represent God the Father...
When reading the book I couldn't wrap my mind about his characters of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...but, after hearing/seeing him, I could understand where he was coming from. Needless to say...I went out and bought another book and re-read it! Ha!

Thanks for the reminder.
----
@aspen ...I believe there will always be those who have had a true glimpse
of God's heart of Love...and those who cannot see it...
"To me" they serve another God, one I do not recognize. And yes, they get so angry when we can't see ( or have outgrown) their angry God.

In fact, I have never been convinced that this was not the intent of the serpent in tempting them to eat of the tree of TKOGAE ...they had no fear of God before that...they only knew the Love.

In being partakers in the death, resurrection and victory of Jesus Christ, the Veil was rent and God's people could see once again the God Adam first saw, before the fall. The veil had gone. But some still choose to believe the lie about God and His nature.
Believing this does not earn me many 'christian' brownie points. Ha!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mjrhealth Good thread. :)

Yes I read the book. I actually did not like it. I threw it out.
Then I saw him interviewed on a Christian program. He shared his horrid and strange childhood. And why he chose a Big chubby black lady to represent God the Father...
When reading the book I couldn't wrap my mind about his characters of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...but, after hearing/seeing him, I could understand where he was coming from. Needless to say...I went out and bought another book and re-read it! Ha!

Thanks for the reminder.
----
@aspen ...I believe there will always be those who have had a true glimpse
of God's heart of Love...and those who cannot see it...
"To me" they serve another God, one I do not recognize. And yes, they get so angry when we can't see ( or have outgrown) their angry God.

In fact, I have never been convinced that this was not the intent of the serpent in tempting them to eat of the tree of TKOGAE ...they had no fear of God before that...they only knew the Love.

In being partakers in the death, resurrection and victory of Jesus Christ, the Veil was rent and God's people could see once again the God Adam first saw, before the fall. The veil had gone. But some still choose to believe the lie about God and His nature.
Believing this does not earn me many 'christian' brownie points. Ha!
It sometimes scares me a little when I think of how much of the Bible we may have done that very same thing to, simply because of preconceived notions, biases, and outright prejudices.

That is why I am always rereading.... hopefuly with the mindset that I possibly read something wrong before. And this is the main reason the book of Revelation, is no longer a Crystal Ball to me, but a record of the beginning of Christianity.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It sometimes scares me a little when I think of how much of the Bible we may have done that very same thing to, simply because of preconceived notions, biases, and outright prejudices.

Totally agree...and probably guilty!! :(

Reactions: pia and Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Totally agree...and probably guilty!! :(
I find my biggest hang-up is reading the words written in very ancient history with a rigid 21st-century perspective. And one of the biggest SNAFU's most of us seem to make is the unreasonable idea that all those old guys had already read the very same Bible we have available to us today.

Reactions: pia and Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That is why I am always rereading.... hopefuly with the mindset that I possibly read something wrong before. And this is the main reason the book of Revelation, is no longer a Crystal Ball to me, but a record of the beginning of Christianity.
Believe me, the bible on its own does enough to scare people and keep Him from God, thats why religion finds it so easy to make slaves of men and keep them in bondage, as he spoke of a friend of his that was a pastors daughter, who had being told she was Gods punishment for there sins, so when she got cancer she blamed herself for her failings, thats religions doing, she than told Him later, " I am not afraid of dying, I was afraid of that look of disgust i would see upon His face when I stand before Him, God that is. That is religion that is what teh bible does and that is why so many6 christians are trying to please God, even though they themselves will never be good enough by there works.

God knew before the beginning of time what He was going to get when He saw me, so I am His problem, no surprises to Him.

B

Butterfly

I read ' The Shack ' some years ago, and got a lot out of it - I think it spoke to different people in different ways, but understanding the wider context of what inspired the book makes me want to read it again- I wonder if I kept the copy I had or gave it away !!!!
I do remember many of my ' church ' friends not liking it - but I figure if God speaks through the words of something and it challenges you to reflect and move forward, then it is being used in a positive way.
Butterfly

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@mjrhealth

I have to say, I really like your new Avatar ... :)
Well I had to change it, there is change coming in my life in a big way. I dont now what, just that it is coming. God is moving so need to be ready. See Beaker is cool, he is always stumped and dumbfounded, seemed to suit a christian forum where i am so amazed how little christians know God, but now i have Chef, carefree, always having fun, couldnt care two hoots what the soothsayers might think, just lives and enjoys Life even with all its problems, just as we are supposed to with Christ.

God bless. Enjoying watching you grow,

Reactions: Helen and pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In being partakers in the death, resurrection and victory of Jesus Christ, the Veil was rent and God's people could see once again the God Adam first saw, before the fall. The veil had gone. But some still choose to believe the lie about God and His nature
What a wonderful post......Spot on from where I am at so far....:D

B

Butterfly

I listened to the whole of the video from you tube in the end, have re brought the shack on my ereader.
I was in tears at times,
Hearing this just gives such a new prospective on this book, and how God was part of the whole process.
I challenge anyone who doesn't like the book, anyone who would stand up and say ' he is a heretic ' to listen, learn and think before they judge the man or the book x
Thank you so much for sharing that video xxxxx
Butterfly

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I never considered there is a shack inside of us all
Wonderful posts....yeah religion does a real snow job on people.....When I was just reading through these I remembered a verse saying something like :" The Word is alive and powerful, to the bringing down of strongholds"......So yeah, shack or fortress, we all seem to have parts of our heart locked up, and Jesus is the only one who even knows about hose things in us, and therefore the only One able to help us...Praise His glorious Name...:)