Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But the scripture also says that if the old lump is levened to make a new lump?

And also with you

The Holy Spirit will clean out the leaven as HE always does...

Bishop Sheen:

We are influencing the world less than the world influences us. There is no apartness. We who were sent out to establish a center of health have caught the disease, and therefore have lost the power to heal. And, since the gold is mixed with an alloy, the entirety must be thrust into the furnace that the dross may be burned away. The value of the trial will be to set us apart. Evil catastrophe must come to reject us, to despise us, to hate us, to persecute us, and then, then we shall we define our loyalties, affirm our fidelity and state on whose side we stand. Our quantity indeed will decrease, but our quality will increase. It is not for the Church that we fear, but for the world. We tremble not that God may be dethroned but that barbarism may reign.

From here: VIDEO: The Antichrist by Ven. Fulton Sheen

Peace!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bishop Sheen:

We are influencing the world less than the world influences us. There is no apartness. We who were sent out to establish a center of health have caught the disease, and therefore have lost the power to heal. And, since the gold is mixed with an alloy, the entirety must be thrust into the furnace that the dross may be burned away. The value of the trial will be to set us apart. Evil catastrophe must come to reject us, to despise us, to hate us, to persecute us, and then, then we shall we define our loyalties, affirm our fidelity and state on whose side we stand. Our quantity indeed will decrease, but our quality will increase. It is not for the Church that we fear, but for the world. We tremble not that God may be dethroned but that barbarism may reign.

Peace!
I agree Philip He will pour in the oil and the wine.

Reactions: Philip James

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bishop Sheen:

Peace!
And the way it works with me is first He abases whatever exalts itself above God

B

brakelite

I am 77 years old, and as a good and faithful servant, have effectively passed my legacy of faith, on to my children and teenaged grandchildren. Romanism is a small insignificant consideration compared to what is now transpiring in the church in these latter daysr
While I have no beef with what you present on Romanism, I tend to disagree with your latter statement here... That modern Romanism is but a minor consideration in considering what is transpiring in the modern church. The current Pope, even more than his 3 immediate predecessors, is as typical of Jesuits, striving intently on global hegemony for the Roman cult. The growing favour with which Rome is now viewed by Protestantism is testimony to the success of the counter reformation which has not slowed, but accelerated exponentially over the last 30 years or so. The 'agreements' between Lutherans and Catholics a case in point.
The RCC to my mind is the greatest danger to the church because no-one recognises her as a danger any more. To you as an individual, and your family, perhaps no danger. Except perhaps when that image to the beast starts formulating Catholic inspired legislation enforcing observation of Catholic teachings that pass unrecognised.

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am simply giving you the biblical truth about priests, not from any denominational perspective. When you go through the New Testament personally, you will find the following truths:

1. All the children of God are placed within a Royal Priesthood, which means that every believer is a priest -- and we are kings and priests before God. See 1 Peter 2, and Rev 1:5,6.

2. Because the Lord Himself is the Divine High Priest who offered Himself as the ultimate sacrifice (the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world) the Levitical priesthood was abolished, and after the destruction of the temple at Jerusalem in AD 70, the entire system of priests and sacrifices was rendered null and void. Study the epistle to the Hebrews.

3. In the apostolic New Testament churches, there were just two offices -- that of elder/bishop (or pastor/elder/bishop) and that of deacon. Both offices required that the men (never women) who were appointed from within the assembly meet specific requirements (see 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus as well as Acts). And there was always a PLURALITY of both elders and deacons, to ensure that one man did not carry the entire burden, nor mislead the entire flock. At the same time the deacons would focus on the temporal affairs of the church and the elders on their spiritual welfare.

4. But the elders were not clergy, and Christ had strictly forbidden His disciples to take any clerical titles such as Master (now Doctor or Monsigneur) or Rabbi (now Reverend or Right Reverend), or Father (now Holy Father or Father). Therefore "All ye are brethren". So every one within the church was a priest, but the elders were the shepherds of the flock. See 1 Peter 5.

5. The term for elder is presbuteros in Greek, but elders are never called priests (hiereus). However, they were interchangeably called bishops (episkopos) which means overseer, since they took spiritual oversight of the assembly.

6. The Lord's Supper was a Memorial Feast and the bread and wine were symbolic of the body and blood of Christ. There were no altars, no priests, and no sacrifices such as the Mass. See 1 Cor 11.

You do not have to take my word for any of this. All you need is Nave's Topical Bible (KJV) and search out all these subjects for yourself.

Well that is all simply your personal opinion . The Altar was established with Abraham . And the use of an Altar is throughout scripture.
As for the bible never expressing a priesthood......what are you talking about? It is throughout scripture that God has and will always have men in a priesthood. Have you lost 90% of your bible?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, okay, I see.

So then that verse would read like this: for God has not given us a spirit of reverence...

Makes sense.

Not!

Quite a few verses but please listen to what the Lord says: Proverbs 8:13
The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

There are two ministrations: 2 Corinthians 3:6-9 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [8] How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? [9] For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

God said He set before us death or Life, evil or good, cursing or blessing. First we are under the ministration of death and it is a hard task master...evil, death, the curse ...the beginning of wisdom is to Fear God and hate evil and death and cursing. Paul compared the ministration of death, sin unto death, to being “slew” and Saul died. It is to shut your mouth before God and yes...under the ministration of death ...condemned. . It is sobering how powerful God is and how seriously He hates cursing and evil and death and sin....pride and arrogance. and yes there is Fear that comes with it. BUT that is a slave under the spirit of bondage and sin ...God gives us another spirit not under bondage but Free...being born again of God and therefore no longer a servant but a Child, a Son “the ministration of the Spirit.” Perfect love cast out fear, fear is torment, whoever fears has not been made perfect in Love. There is reverence yes, we are speaking of God here who is worthy of all reverence and our soberness and readiness and willingness of mind. To be born again is the ministration of the Spirit and not unto bondage again, the spirit of bondage of sin and death. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Acts 3:15-16 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. [16] And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Romans 8:15-16 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. [16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

To Fear God is the beginning of wisdom:
A slave under bondage speaks of the wisdom of the world. A Child of God born of the ministration of the Spirit has boldness to come before the throne of God and speaks the wisdom of the ministration of the Spirit:
James 3:17-18 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. [18] And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Depends which wisdom is spoken of? Wisdom of a slave under the bondage of the ministration of death who speaks of the wisdom pertaining to the world?

OR the wisdom from above given to children and not slaves under bondage, being given the ministration of the Spirit therefore speaking the things of that which comes from above?

To be born again of God is the beginning of the wisdom from above. First pure, then peaceable...it comes from above and is given of Him.

Lastly but important there are also two :Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

2 Corinthians 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Sin unto death: the ministration of condemnation

OR the ministration of the Spirit...the ministration of righteousness...exceeds in glory...then one has to be careful to not attempt to put the Child free ...Born of God and the ministration of the Spirit crying Abba Father ...back underneath condemnation which men love to try to do. <who the Son sets free is free indeed.

Psalm 38:3-4 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin. [4] For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.

Isaiah 1:5-6 Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. [6] From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.

God gives a New Heart...gives the spirit of soundness, heals wounds and gives ointment which is Christ. The ministration of the Spirit unto righteousness...exceeds in the glory to the spirit of bondage, sin unto death and condemnation.

Edification... “build up” ...therefore there is No More condemnation of those born of God.

Last edited:

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NOT to any particular person . This is a reply to a(majority) of Protestantism :

I know many have a mission and want to think you are enlightened. But the fact of the matter is, there is no enlightenment in dissing Orthodox and Catholicism as having NO saved souls from within them. That is an erroneous doctrine , that scripture does not support .

Book of Joel:
The word of the Lord, which came to Joel son of Pethuel.
2Hear this, you elders, and hearken, all you inhabitants of the land. Did this come about in your days or in the
days of your forefathers?

3Tell your children about it, and your children to their children, and their children to another generation.

4What the shearing locust left over, the increasing locust devoured, and what the increasing locust left over the
nibbling locust devoured, and what the nibbling locust left over the finishing locust devoured.

5Awaken, you drunkards, and weep; and wail, all you wine drinkers, concerning the strong wine, which has
been cut off from your mouth. :

6For a nation has ascended upon my land, mighty and innumerable; its teeth are like the teeth of an old lion, and
its molars are like those of a young lion.

7He has laid my vine waste, and my fig tree into a disappointment; he has peeled it and cast it off, its branches
have become white.

8Lament like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the husband of her youth.

9Meal offering and libation have been cut off from the house of the Lord; the priests, the ministers of the Lord,
mourn.

10The field has been plundered, the soil destroyed, for corn has been plundered, must has dried up, oil has been
cut off.

11Be ashamed, you plowmen; wail, you vinedressers, for wheat and for barley, for the harvest of the field is
lost.

12The vines have dried up, and the fig trees have been cut off; the pomegranates, also the date palms and the
apples, all the trees of the field have dried up, for joy has dried up from the sons of man.

13Gird yourselves and lament, you priests; wail, you ministers of the altar; come, lodge in sackcloth, you minis-
ters of my God, for the meal offering and the libations have been withheld from the house of your God.

14Proclaim a fast, call an assembly; assemble, you elders, all the inhabitants of the land to the house of the Lord
your God, and cry out to the Lord.

15Woe is to the day, for the day of the Lord is near, and like plunder, it will come from the Almighty.

16Is not the food cut off from before our eyes? From the house of our God joy and jubilation?

17Casks of wine have gathered mold under their bungs, the storehouses are laid desolate, garners are demol-
ished, for the corn has dried out.

18How the cattle sighs, herds of cattle are perplexed, for they have no pasture; also flocks of sheep are laid
waste.

19To You, O Lord, I call, for a fire has consumed the dwellings of the wilderness, and a flame has burnt all the
trees of the field.

20Also, the beasts of the field cry out to You for the springs of water have dried up, and fire has consumed the
dwellings of the wilderness.

The Shearing locust are not the Orthodox and Catholics, they actually preserve more that is needed for study con-
cerning scriptures. The Catholics have a more whole Canon than you ,but the Orthodox have a greater Canon
than the Catholic, at least the Ethiopian Orthodox not in union with the RCC do. I say this not in disrespecting Catholics and those Orthodox who have a smaller Canon . I say this because, after the sixth seal or what has come to be known as the 3Days of Darkness, Ethiopia will bring a gift to the Lord who will be present in those at the summit of the faith -Zion. Zion means indication or Marker -simply put (SIGN) . To those who are to receive Ethiopia's gift, you will be Holy sanctified and Restored. It is a gift given to the Elect. So do not think I am denying the truth in both Orthodoxy and Catholicism. I am simply restating what some wise people in here are saying. That the church receives correction and is by no means above further growth. The gospel is eternal as God is and therefore , so is our growth.

No doubt the Queens(Song of Songs) have some flaws (MINOR) but they do hold more truth than the Protestants and its sects (Concubines) .God willing I will be able to explain this Queen stuff and Concubine stuff at a later date.

Anyway, your denomination not only has re-
jected and done away with many Hebraic works, you also cut off the Rites and resort to dividing scripture
against scripture.

Your denomination with its many sects removed most of all the meat from Christianity in
your teaching. You deny Christ's Real presents in His Supper,when the evocation is performed by a Holy Priest and teacher in Christ.
You deny the 3 ways of administering baptism which yes- includes one form that most all of you only accept -immersion.

You make no sense, you deny all the saints throughout Christian history, as though Christianity begins and ends with you. And most
importantly you deny the Theotokos and Ark of the New Covenant- The Mother of Christ and Mother to all
born again in Him.For she labored for us all in laboring for Him. For in His birth is the birth of all who are to be
called sons and daughters of God the Father. Thus , you reject true belief in the Incarnation because Christ was
Incarnated of her sanctified flesh. Cannot Confess that without His Mother's inclusion 1John 4 the Confessing (Incarnation).

Proof that your denial of past saints before your arrival is nonsense is in this for instance and FACT:........ Saint
Mark established the Coptic Church in Egypt. They too use the Title "Pope"-papa, for the head of their Church. Mark
was the FIRST POPE- (papa ,father=teacher) . I know your sect says Christ says "call no one father" that only proves
you know not the scriptures . I will have to make this a long post obvi-
ously because of the amount and degree of error you cling to. I will prove later that calling a shepherd (father) is acceptable in God's word. The righteous people in here already get it. I am not preaching to that Choir. Peace to you brethren!
Continuing:
St. Mark is the first Pope of the Coptic Church. Upon his death by martyrdom the torch was passed to St.
Anianus. St. Anianus was a Jew who lived in Alexandria Egypt. Proof of this is in a historical account that goes
like this: He was injured in a work place accident, where he severely injured his hand at which point he cried
"The Lord thy God is One".

That was something only believed by the Jews. Upon hearing this St. Mark went to him and healed his hand.
He spoke to him about the Messiah Yeshua and Anianus converted to Christianity and followed Mark. Mark
would appoint him as the next Steward of the faith to preserve the faith in Egypt. Hence , Anianus became the
second Pope (father- teacher of the faith to have the Key of David placed upon his shoulder). You cannot ignore these historical facts.
Just as St. Peter and Paul established the church in Rome. What the weeds and wolves have done is on them! They arise everywhere amongst the faithful.

If you read in Joel :

5Awaken, you drunkards, and weep; and wail, all you wine drinkers, concerning the strong wine, which has
been cut off from your mouth.

An unlearned student who distorts the scriptures would think God is forbidding wine, NO, HE IS AGAINST
DRUNKARDS. He is NOT referring to the wine and bread offered upon the ALTAR. (THE ALTAR), some-
thing that most of your sects do not have. You have PULPITS, not altars. Most of the Protestant churches do not offer up the final sacrifice- THE EUCHARIST. With the exception of the Lutheran, most reject this belief. The Lutheran only preserve it because Luther at his beginnings was a Catholic Monk . So actually it is a preservation of first- a HEBREW RITE , then preserved and upheld by Christians of the RC denomination. Some Anglicans too believe in Christ's real presents.

13Gird yourselves and lament, you priests; wail, (you ministers of the altar;) come, lodge in sackcloth, you min-
isters of (my God), for the meal offering and the libations have been withheld from the house of your God.(Your GOD is MY GOD in Joel's verse).

Obviously this IS NOT SPEAKING ABOUT your sect. For it states that the ministers of the ALTAR are MINIS-
TERS OF MY GOD,

THE PROPHET JOEL'S God.

The (MEAL OFFERING AND THE LIBATIONS) are the in-
stituted Supper of Christ. It is a RITE. For the most part you possess NO RITES, thus you are not a Queen . This is the daily sacrifice of the Book of Daniel that will be cut off.
This is in process right now. This is when the Lord will be cut off from His people in Israel . The persecution of Christians in Israel has been growing and growing . It will be in secret that we will practice our faith. But the practice of TRUE Christianity will not be allowed, and will be cut off from the people. The Elect will have His Holy Spirit in and over them.
Those who preserve this daily sacrifice will be severely persecuted even martyred for this TRUTH.It will become illegal to be Christian in Israel and this will spread throughout the world. The Edom Jew (descendants of Esau) hate Jacob (the True Israel). And all those grafted in are too the True Israel.

God Bless.
Yours Truly,
DNM.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I continually urge my wonderful wife @VictoryinJesus to seek Gods council, not mine sometimes she gets frustrated with me, but the truth is I love her too much to subject her to my fallibility.
I couldn't write before...I wanted to make two comments regarding the above.

One....
I learn from men...I have no problem with this and am sometimes scolded because I should be listening to the Holy Spirit...as if those who teach do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling and neither the ones learning. I DO NOT however, preach that man cannot teach me and then depend on man for answers! Which is what was happening with the other member.

As to your wonderful better half...
I do believe I know her from another forum.
She's a very deep thinker and posts great information and knows how to use scripture.
I can't really post like that anymore...I used to. My attention span is waning and I can't think of scripture the way I used to. I just hope it's OLD AGE!!

You're very lucky to have each other. My hubby is not saved.
So great to have a mate you can talk to about God.
Blessings.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...there is no enlightenment in dissing Orthodox and Catholicism as having NO saved souls from within them...
I don't believe that anyone with an ounce of discernment would say such things. Only God knows who are and who are not genuinely saved.

At the same time, when the false doctrines of the RCC and EOC are exposed,and their adherents continue to believe them and promote them, it means that Bible truth is not their first priority. Rather supporting their denomination is more important.

Since this thread is about Teresa of Avila, let's focus on her. She was a staunch Roman Catholic who actually opposed the Protestant Reformation and promoted the Counter Reformation. So should she have any standing with non-Catholics? She was also a Mystic and experienced levitation. Which then begs the question: To what extent was she under the control of demons?

Reactions: Stan B

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying there is no mysticism in God? Secondly, please show me what she was against concerning the Protestant Reformation, and how she supported the counter Reformation? You know like what she said and did about it, you know references and quotes . I would really like to know.

God Bless.

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, Enoch 111 are you promoting Protestantism?: "At the same time, when the false doctrines of the RCC and EOC are exposed,and their adherents continue to believe them and promote them, it means that Bible truth is not their first priority. Rather supporting their denomination is more important."

Are you speaking from a place of no partiality? Is supporting your denomination more important than bible truth? And do you think the Protestant movement was a movement for religious liberty ?

I have read things from Catholics in here that acknowledge the wrongs that RC hierarchy have done. So what makes your denomination any better than what that hierarchy has done? I am sincerely asking please share.

God Bless.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You're very lucky to have each other. My hubby is not saved.
So great to have a mate you can talk to about God.
Blessings.

How could your husband not be saved if you are?? Since husband and wife are an inseparable unity, so even if one spouse is a non-believer, to retain that unity God says: "The unbelieving husband is sanctified [made holy] through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy." 1 Corinthians 7:14

The belief of one spouse, sanctifies not only the unbelieving spouse, but also extends to the children of such union.

Reactions: Waiting on him

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How could your husband not be saved if you are?? Since husband and wife are an inseparable unity, so even if one spouse is a non-believer, to retain that unity God says: "The unbelieving husband is sanctified [made holy] through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy." 1 Corinthians 7:14

The belief of one spouse, sanctifies not only the unbelieving spouse, but also extends to the children of such union.
What does sanctify mean?

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that anyone with an ounce of discernment would say such things. Only God knows who are and who are not genuinely saved.

At the same time, when the false doctrines of the RCC and EOC are exposed,and their adherents continue to believe them and promote them, it means that Bible truth is not their first priority. Rather supporting their denomination is more important.

Since this thread is about Teresa of Avila, let's focus on her. She was a staunch Roman Catholic who actually opposed the Protestant Reformation and promoted the Counter Reformation. So should she have any standing with non-Catholics? She was also a Mystic and experienced levitation. Which then begs the question: To what extent was she under the control of demons?

I am still waiting for that support of your allegations . You tossed some very heavy accusations at Teresa. The burden of proof is on you and I am open to those proofs.
God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
St. Teresa of Avila
The Castle

There are 7 rooms to reach the center of the castle.
Jesus lives forever in the center of the Castle.

How to enter into the Castle:

1. Be in God's grace.
2. Prayer
3. Decision to proceed in faith.

Problem:
Battle between grace and world.
One must know one's self.
Man is in an abyss of misery.
Man is nothing...a sinner and what we've lost in Orig. Sin.
He must be accmpanied with the knowledge of God.
We should examine our conscience daily.
We must be humble...necessary for knowing oursleves and knowing God.
Humility leads to sanctity (holiness).
We know we are nothing.
We do all things through God.
If we know God's grandeur, we know our smallness.

[from my notes...written simply]
Next: Room 1