Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I don't see holiness as a thing one grows in. In fact, if that were the case, why would Ananias and Saphira have been knocked dead before they had the chance to grow more holy?
This remark just goes to show that you have no idea about the matter of holiness and righteousness, particularly God's holiness and righteousness and how it is imputed to those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This remark just goes to show that you have no idea about the matter of holiness and righteousness, particularly God's holiness and righteousness and how it is imputed to those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

The opposite is true. You are merely displaying a partisan religious position based on theory...that doesn't stand up to even the most basic biblical investigation let alone experience.

Holiness is found in God..and His Son....never is that holiness our own.

That we may be partakers of HIS holiness.

Righteousness exists on more than one level...because of ability. But righteousness is consistent in purpose...and that is to love others by our actions. God's ways and power are far greater than our own. Yet we are still responsible for our own actions.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes, I agree with that. But this is walking in the Spirit, versus being led by the Spirit.
Hey SBG,

I hate to get into this conversation because it's really not necessary.

The reason you have a problem is because you'd rather argue about what the terms mean..
rather than just accepting what they mean.

Was the explanation of mine too simple for you?
Does it HAVE to be complicated?

Righteous means being right with God.
Holy means being separate to do the work of God.

Am repeating this for those reading along....

You cannot become more righteous. You're either right with God or you're not.
You can become more holy by becoming more and more as God would want you to be.

Reactions: amadeus

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The opposite is true. You are merely displaying a partisan religious position based on theory...that doesn't stand up to even the most basic biblical investigation let alone experience.

Holiness is found in God..and His Son....never us that holiness our own.

That we may be partakers of HIS holiness.

Righteousness exists on more than one level...because of ability. But righteousness is consistent in purpose...and that is to love others by our actions. God's ways and power are far greater than our own. Yet we are still responsible for our own actions.
See my post 143.

You know E, theologians do know more than you do.
You don't have to agree with them, but it's not correct to spread the incorrect meaning of two words that we know the meaning of.

I'm rather shocked that you don't know their meaning, TTYTT.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

His righteousness being inconceivable...a strength unlike anything ever seen of man or man’s righteousness...a strength and righteousness man cannot touch or come near to approach except “in Christ”. ....the strength and righteousness of the Spirit of God in bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things..

1 Samuel 2:8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and he hath set the world upon them.

God’s righteousness the only One able to bear having “the world” set upon its pillars of His body His church: the ground of truth. (The ground where the seed springs forth and multiples and flourishes)(the garden God waters and keeps)

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

The righteousness of God unexplainable yet seen in bears all things ...the world set upon its pillars. Man’s righteousness will be crushed in it(man’s righteousness)can not and will not bear “the world”. Being ignorant of God ...they go about attempting to do what Only God has the strength to do and not be crushed.

It is God's righteousness that decides what is acceptable in our actions. God is the One who justifies. God judges. When we judge from ourselves we are doing so outside of God's righteousness. When we judge we are seeking to establish our own righteousness.

Does it say that Abraham believed God and that it was counted to him for holiness? Or was God...by HIS righteousness recognizing the righteousness in Abraham because of his (Abraham's) faith?

The righteousness of man will not be crushed...but actually be nurtured into the pursuit of holiness IN Christ.Our righteousness must be submitted to God's just as our strength needs to be submitted to God's.

It is when we don't submit to God's righteousness (for his inspection and approval) that we are trying to establish our own righteousness as sufficient of itself. (which it isn't as it leaves God out of the equation)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
See my post 143.

You know E, theologians do know more than you do.
You don't have to agree with them, but it's not correct to spread the incorrect meaning of two words that we know the meaning of.

I'm rather shocked that you don't know their meaning, TTYTT.

It is your interpretation that is lacking. Why do you trust men...and your own understanding of men rather than what is written for all to read...and also to allow yourself to be led by the Spirit? Theologians can't even agree on the basics in the word. And study will never measure up to encounter with God.

Read the bible again and see how many theologians God uses.

God avoids the learned mostly...and chooses what you would call the foolish ones to represent the truth.

But you don't seem to be able to grasp this very basic thing.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey SBG,

I hate to get into this conversation because it's really not necessary.

The reason you have a problem is because you'd rather argue about what the terms mean..
rather than just accepting what they mean.

Was the explanation of mine too simple for you?
Does it HAVE to be complicated?

Righteous means being right with God.
Holy means being separate to do the work of God.

Am repeating this for those reading along....

You cannot become more righteous. You're either right with God or you're not.
You can become more holy by becoming more and more as God would want you to be.

You are being ridiculous now. I've never seen you do that before.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can grow in righteousness, because I can grow in trust (faith).

But to define holiness as being set apart for God's work, means that...when we say God is holy, it just means God is set apart for His own work. So I am sure you will disagree that this is what saying God is holy means. And this is why it is so important to search it out and understand rather than accept what men say - because the definition you have been taught brings you, in the end, to a place where you have knocked holiness down and sullied it.

This is why I can't accept the definition you have been taught GG. I don't think, by what I've read of you, that you can accept it either. And I think the only next move can be to say holiness has different meaning as pertains to a man than its meaning as pertains to God. But that won't help either Or there are too many verses you will have to amend to continue with the zig zag.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Epi, i am trying to understand what blameless means. I know it does not mean holy. When God said of Job that he feared God and shunned evil, He said Job was blameless. I am thinking blameless there means righteous. Is that right? I should go look up the word blameless. I will do that, or at least try to. :)

I think about it in comparison to Ananias and Saphira. Had they feared God and shunned evil, they would not claim about themselves that they had given all. It wouldn't have made them holy, but it would have made them blameless. Accepted.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Epi, i am trying to understand what blameless means. I know it does not mean holy. When God said of Job that he feared God and shunned evil, He said Job was blameless. I am thinking blameless there means righteous. Is that right? I should go look up the word blameless. I will do that, or at least try to. :)

I think about it in comparison to Ananias and Saphira. Had they feared God and shunned evil, they would not claim about themselves that they had given all. It wouldn't have made them holy, but it would have made them blameless. Accepted.

Yes...blameless is to be deemed righteous by God. Accepted as you say. Insofar as we want to do what is right...but can't do this perfectly ...unless of course we are walking in the Spirit...we are justified by God by a broken attitude of humility before God and men.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And...the reason I am trying to understand it is because I don't understand why to be accepted is not good enough for men. Why do they have to insist they have given all and are holy if they haven't and aren't? God accepts and makes a place for men who fear Him and shun evil. That's merciful. That's more than merciful.

It begins to look and sound like Satan, who said, I will climb higher, into heaven, I will ascend and have a seat above the stars, I will sit with the congregation, I will ascend above the clouds, I will be like the most high...

It's just smarter to let God decide where you will be and where you will sit. All you must do is fear Him, shun evil, and trust Him. Stay there and let Him decide everything concerning you. It is practical, smart and...I don't understand anything else, really.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It is your interpretation that is lacking. Why do you trust men...and your own understanding of men rather than what is written for all to read...and also to allow yourself to be led by the Spirit? Theologians can't even agree on the basics in the word. And study will never measure up to encounter with God.

Read the bible again and see how many theologians God uses.

God avoids the learned mostly...and chooses what you would call the foolish ones to represent the truth.

But you don't seem to be able to grasp this very basic thing.
How did you learn about the Trinity?
From your own study?

How did you learn that Jesus is God?
From your own study?

Must we choose between the Holy Spirit and theologians?
Do they NOT HAVE the Holy Spirit?

Were prophets theologians?
Was Paul one?
Were the Apostolic Fathers theologians, or just persons with some kind of idea?

My interpretation is NOT LACKING.
Because it is not MY interpretation, but that of two mainline churches.

So @stunnedbygrace could continue not understanding something that is extremely easy to understand. I guess that's knowing God? Not even understanding what two words mean.....and maybe you'd like to inform her as to what REPENT means, since that word gets thrown around too.

Romans 3:10 There is none righteous.
Romans 1:18 We deserve God's wrath.
Genesis 15:6 God give us righteousness. Why?
Galatians 3:21 Christ makes us righteous. Why?
Hebrews 12:23 We have been made righteous.

RIGHTEOUS
means BEING RIGHT WITH GOD.

HOLY

God is Holy.
This is different for what it means for US to be holy.
Are we God? No.

For US, being holy means being set apart for the work of God.
1 Cor 6:9-11
Colossiand 3:12-16
1 Thes 4:7

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did you learn about the Trinity?
From your own study?

How did you learn that Jesus is God?
From your own study?

Must we choose between the Holy Spirit and theologians?
Do they NOT HAVE the Holy Spirit?

Were prophets theologians?
Was Paul one?
Were the Apostolic Fathers theologians, or just persons with some kind of idea?

My interpretation is NOT LACKING.
Because it is not MY interpretation, but that of two mainline churches.

So @stunnedbygrace could continue not understanding something that is extremely easy to understand. I guess that's knowing God? Not even understanding what two words mean.....and maybe you'd like to inform her as to what REPENT means, since that word gets thrown around too.

Romans 3:10 There is none righteous.
Romans 1:18 We deserve God's wrath.
Genesis 15:6 God give us righteousness. Why?
Galatians 3:21 Christ makes us righteous. Why?
Hebrews 12:23 We have been made righteous.

RIGHTEOUS
means BEING RIGHT WITH GOD.

HOLY

God is Holy.
This is different for what it means for US to be holy.
Are we God? No.

For US, being holy means being set apart for the work of God.
1 Cor 6:9-11
Colossiand 3:12-16
1 Thes 4:7

Well, there it is, as I said it would be the next move, to claim that holy means two different things.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I can grow in righteousness, because I can grow in trust (faith).

But to define holiness as being set apart for God's work, means that...when we say God is holy, it just means God is set apart for His own work. So I am sure you will disagree that this is what saying God is holy means. And this is why it is so important to search it out and understand rather than accept what men say - because the definition you have been taught brings you, in the end, to a place where you have knocked holiness down and sullied it.

This is why I can't accept the definition you have been taught GG. I don't think, by what I've read of you, that you can accept it either. And I think the only next move can be to say holiness has different meaning as pertains to a man than its meaning as pertains to God. But that won't help either Or there are too many verses you will have to amend to continue with the zig zag.
You didn't tag me, I almost missed the above.
If I'm silly in my statements SBG, there sure are a lot of silly Christians out there.
You don't have to agree with me,,,but it's not necessary to call me silly either.
YOU are the one who is having difficult with this...not me.
You're having difficulty because you're confusing God's holiness with our holiness.
Do you think we could be as holy as God is?
It's two different ideas. God is not set apart for His own work...
YOU and I are.

Righteousness is also giving you a problem because you don't accept what it means but instead are going around in circles thinking it mans to do right things.
It simply means BEING RIGHT WITH GOD.

Try it, you'll like it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No thank you, I will not try it. You do not even see that you have painted yourself into a corner.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You have not read anything I've said...
Not necessary....
You and the other member have been at this for a few pages now.
There's no need to have this debate since neither one of you is properly representing what righteousness is and what holiness is.

I know that it's confusing you as to their meaning...
and I know you wish to remain confused.

Since you trust @Episkopos , please continue speaking to him.

I do hope you realize that Episkpose is A MAN...
you know, those men you tend not to trust.

You could do what the Bareans did, as you told me.