Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Waiting on him,

I'd like to mention that this grace I think is more than God being pleased with us.

My grace is sufficient for you . . . What I give to you is enough.

God's grace to us is more than a kindly attitude, though that is there in totality. But God's kindness is also His power in our lives making us holy and righteous, and imparting to us fruitful lives . . . to the extent that we believe it is true.

Much love!
A garment of praise attributed on behalf of the merit of another.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growth in righteousness leads to holiness. That's Gods goal. Yet we don't grow in holiness. One isn't partway holy or holier than he used to be. Holy is an either/or thing. Righteousness is a growth. But there is a goal. That goal, far off as it might be, is to enter into holiness. That's Gods goal.

What do you do with God's instruction that you are to put on the new man, which is created patterned after God, created in righteousness and true holiness?

Ephesians 4:24 "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

What is this new man that you are to put on if you only attain to holiness after reaching sufficient righteousness?

And the big question is, what IS sufficient righteousness?

As you challenge others to not skip over passages, I challenge you to not pass over this.

What does it mean that you are to put on a "new man", and that this "new man" is created according to God's pattern, and is righteous, and truly holy?

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you do with God's instruction that you are to put on the new man, which is created patterned after God, created in righteousness and true holiness?

Ephesians 4:24 "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

What is this new man that you are to put on if you only attain to holiness after reaching sufficient righteousness?

And the big question is, what IS sufficient righteousness?

As you challenge others to not skip over passages, I challenge you to not pass over this.

What does it mean that you are to put on a "new man", and that this "new man" is created according to God's pattern, and is righteous, and truly holy?

Much love!
That’s a fair question.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I think of the fruit in their personal lives. Are these people who love others, or deride others? For instance.

Much love!
Right. I thought of this too,,,but pastors are such good actors if they have to be, and so it becomes more difficult.

In a personal life I think it's easier to see.
I can think of some that go to church every Sunday but are filled with hate and unforgiveness.

So, of course I agree with you...If someone cannot love, I have a problem believing they're even aware of the love of God; but they might be new Christians or unlearned Christians too.

I was nice pretty much,,,but it took me time to really learn about forgiveness.

Reactions: Stan B and Nancy

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. I thought of this too,,,but pastors are such good actors if they have to be, and so it becomes more difficult.

In a personal life I think it's easier to see.
I can think of some that go to church every Sunday but are filled with hate and unforgiveness.

So, of course I agree with you...If someone cannot love, I have a problem believing they're even aware of the love of God; but they might be new Christians or unlearned Christians too.

I was nice pretty much,,,but it took me time to really learn about forgiveness.
It’s funny to hear you guys talk about people being actors the def of the word actor is hypocrite and the def of the word Sabbath is intermission which is a pause or a break in a play.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It’s funny to hear you guys talk about people being actors the def of the word actor is hypocrite and the def of the word Sabbath is intermission which is a pause or a break in a play.
!!!
Yes, pretty funny.
Thanks for posting.
:)

P. S. In Italy there's an intermission for movies too.
:(

Reactions: Waiting on him

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be righteous means to do what is right. Have you read the verse that says, make no mistake about this, a righteous man DOES what is right. The apostle took care with his words there in saying, do not make a mistake on this. So then, if a man does what is wrong, is he righteous?

(To be holy is to not sin. )

What is “doing what is right?”

This a very Jewish line of reasoning, btw

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

His righteousness being inconceivable...a strength unlike anything ever seen of man or man’s righteousness...a strength and righteousness man cannot touch or come near to approach except “in Christ”. ....the strength and righteousness of the Spirit of God in bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things..

1 Samuel 2:8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and he hath set the world upon them.

God’s righteousness the only One able to bear having “the world” set upon its pillars of His body His church: the ground of truth. (The ground where the seed springs forth and multiples and flourishes)(the garden God waters and keeps)

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

The righteousness of God unexplainable yet seen in bears all things ...the world set upon its pillars. Man’s righteousness will be crushed in it(man’s righteousness)can not and will not bear “the world”. Being ignorant of God ...they go about attempting to do what Only God has the strength to do and not be crushed.

I'm still not understanding. If the righteousness of God is unexplainable, how do you submit to it? I think you are seeing it as the righteousness OF God. When to me, the righteousness of God means: the way God makes men right with Him. (Which is through trust/faith.) So if Gods righteousness (what God says man must do to be counted righteous) is to trust, then to me, you are saying it is Gods trust (God doing the trusting), not a man's trust in God. God doesn't need to trust Himself.

And when a man does not submit to Gods righteousness (Gods way of making a man right with Himself), the man is trying to clean up his flesh in his own strength, through following the law. And men do try this, because they do not want to be crucified.

Reactions: Episkopos

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is “doing what is right?”

This a very Jewish line of reasoning, btw

Well, Paul was Jewish, so I guess you could expect him to reason like a Jew.

Doing what is right is difficult to succinctly tie down, because righteousness is a moving target, as Epi likes to say.

Think of a parent and child. What is acceptable to the parent and what the parent delights over, is a moving target. It is perfectly acceptable to the parent that a baby soils himself. They would worry if he didn't. But the target for what is acceptable, the target to aim for, changes as the child grows. There would be no parental delight anymore if the child still continually soiled himself at 6 years of age.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Paul was Jewish, so I guess you could expect him to reason like a Jew.

Doing what is right is difficult to succinctly tie down, because righteousness is a moving target, as Epi likes to say.

Think of a parent and child. What is acceptable to the parent and what the parent delights over, is a moving target. It is perfectly acceptable to the parent that a baby soils himself. They would worry if he didn't. But the target for what is acceptable, the target to aim for, changes as the child grows. There would be no parental delight anymore if the child still continually soiled himself at 6 years of age.

Doing what is right means to practice your sanctification by loving your neighbor through service.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doing what is right means to practice your sanctification by loving your neighbor through service.

That doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I don't see holiness as a thing one grows in. In fact, if that were the case, why would Ananias and Saphira have been knocked dead before they had the chance to grow more holy?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I don't see holiness as a thing one grows in. In fact, if that were the case, why would Ananias and Saphira have been knocked dead before they had the chance to grow more holy?

You do not believe we are called to grow in our ability to love others more perfectly? I know I still have a lot of practicing to do. I am not talking about Justification, but Sanctification. Justification is being enrolled in a class, sanctification is doing the work of learning or what Paul calls good works

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holiness is not as righteousness, which you can grow and mature in. You are either holy or not. You can't be halfway holy or more holy one day and less holy the next day. Only God is holy. Men are not. You don't practice holiness until you get it right. This is confusing righteousness with holiness and is to make holiness an abhorance.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not believe we are called to grow in our ability to love others more perfectly? I know I still have a lot of practicing to do. I am not talking about Justification, but Sanctification. Justification is being enrolled in a class, sanctification is doing the work of learning or what Paul calls good works

Growing in righteousness, I understand that. Growing in holiness, no, I don't understand that.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holiness is not as righteousness, which you can grow and mature in. You are either holy or not. You can't be halfway holy or more holy one day and less holy the next day. Only God is holy. Men are not. You don't practice holiness until you get it right. This is confusing righteousness with holiness and is to make holiness an abhorance.

Yet Christ calls us to be Holy

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it was you who brought up the term Holiness or Holy in the first place