Terms and Conditions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because things have to make sense.
I don't like being lied to.
I'm not saying "God is lying", I'm saying "I'm not hearing a clear message".
I like the truth, and I like to understand why I am doing something.
If I can't justify why I am doing something, I'm not going to do it.
Do you think a clear, definitive message (short of direct revelation) is still realistic expectation? If you don't receive one, what next?

I pretty much gave up on that. The Indigo Girls' Closer to Fine is on the soundtrack of my life.

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think a clear, definitive message (short of direct revelation) is still realistic expectation?
I can't figure out how it's "unrealistic"--plenty of things are clear in the Bible, why not this?
If you don't receive one, what next?
Nothing. I'm not going to bother.
I pretty much gave up on that. The Indigo Girls' Closer to Fine is on the soundtrack of my life.
Never heard of "The Indigo Girls".
I'm not giving up.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't figure out how it's "unrealistic"--plenty of things are clear in the Bible, why not this?
There's also plenty of "tensions" (dare I say, "contradictions"?) in the Bible too. If it weren't so, discussion boards like this one wouldn't have as much traffic, though they'd be a lot calmer. You've touched on a few here that frequently come up and never really get resolved: The role of works vs. faith in both initial justification and in ongoing growth, eternal security or lack thereof, the role of the love of God and the fear of the Lord...

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I think I understand where you're coming from a little better than when we started. I hope you find an answer you can live with.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also plenty of "tensions" (dare I say, "contradictions"?) in the Bible too. If it weren't so, discussion boards like this one wouldn't have as much traffic, though they'd be a lot calmer. You've touched on a few here that frequently come up and never really get resolved: The role of works vs. faith in both initial justification and in ongoing growth, eternal security or lack thereof, the role of the love of God and the fear of the Lord...

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I think I understand where you're coming from a little better than when we started. I hope you find an answer you can live with.
Yeah, I find "He who waters others will himself be watered" true--I hope that by sharing what I know, maybe the answer will pop up.

Thanks for interacting.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The role of works vs. faith in both initial justification and in ongoing growth
A speculation I have on this is that an important part of this question has to do with fear: how does God relate to me? Should I be afraid?

God doesn't give us a spirit of fear, so if we arrive at fear, we have misunderstood something He has said.

He says "We have not received a spirit of slavery, unto fear, but of adoption, by which we cry, 'Abba'": both a slave and a son are expected to serve, so "obedience" is not a question, but their thoughts and motivations are not the same. The slave serves to avoid a beating, and has no understanding of what his master's vision is; a son serves, but has a different relationship to his "authority", and this must result in a different spirit and tenor in his work, described as "hope".
Both dread and hope are outlooks about the future.

Anyway, thanks again.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I did have a couple of other things I wanted to say.
The role of works vs. faith in both initial justification and in ongoing growth
I have found it helpful to understand good works not as something I need to do to keep my salvation, but rather part of my ongoing education as God grows me into whatever it is he intends for me to be. (1 John 3:2.)
A speculation I have on this is that an important part of this question has to do with fear: God doesn't give us a spirit of fear, so if we arrive at fear, we have misunderstood something. He says "We have not received a spirit of slavery, unto fear, but of adoption, by which we cry, 'Abba'": both a slave and a son are expected to serve, so "obedience" is not a question, but their thoughts and motivations are not the same. The slave serves to avoid a beating, and has no understanding of what his master's vision is; a son serves, but has a different relationship to his "authority", and this must result in a different spirit and tenor in his work, described as "hope".
Both dread and hope are outlooks about the future.
Kind of related to the slave vs. son and fear scripture, I want to relate a story from my youth. When you're a child, you obey your parents because you're afraid of getting spanked. You try to meet your parents' expectations in school because you don't want to get grounded. There came a time in my teens when my mother's health started failing, and I realized that a spanking didn't hurt, but disappointing the ones who loved me did. And that made a world of difference. Later, I had a similar experience with God.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I did have a couple of other things I wanted to say.

I have found it helpful to understand good works not as something I need to do to keep my salvation, but rather part of my ongoing education as God grows me into whatever it is he intends for me to be. (1 John 3:2.)

Kind of related to the slave vs. son and fear scripture, I want to relate a story from my youth. When you're a child, you obey your parents because you're afraid of getting spanked. You try to meet your parents' expectations in school because you don't want to get grounded. There came a time in my teens when my mother's health started failing, and I realized that a spanking didn't hurt, but disappointing the ones who loved me did. And that made a world of difference. Later, I had a similar experience with God.
On paper, as I tried explaining, from one angle, at least, I have to agree with this perspective.

Thank you for sharing.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am motivated by fear of destruction,
It's because you don't understand what constitutes the Good News. If you're motivated check out the ReDiscovering God link in my signature below, you'll probably discover things you didn't know.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
So, what is "the truth" I am supposed to be motivated by when I do works?

Be motivated by this.

"For God so loved the world that He gave Jesus, His only begotten"... .For YOU.......on the Cross.

Now, what can you give back to God, knowing He did that for you, already?

A.) Do that every day.

That's your motivation.

God Gave the LIFE OF CHRIST for you..
So, you give YOUR LIFE TO GOD< because of what Gave to you, first.

"Discipleship".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's because you don't understand what constitutes the Good News. If you're motivated check out the ReDiscovering God link in my signature below, you'll probably discover things you didn't know.
Thank you.
I'll check it out now.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be motivated by this.

"For God so loved the world that He gave Jesus, His only begotten"... .For YOU.......on the Cross.

Now, what can you give back to God, knowing He did that for you, already?

A.) Do that every day.

That's your motivation.

God Gave the LIFE OF CHRIST for you..
So, you give YOUR LIFE TO GOD< because of what Gave to you, first.

"Discipleship".
It seems like that is correct.
He says we are "indebted" to Him (Ro 8:12),
But, my question is, "What if I don't give my life to God?"
Then what happens?
If the answer is, "You go to hell," then, He really didn't do anything, it's me who has to save myself by giving my life back to God.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says "tickets no longer available". I can't see the message.
I am aware that our "salvation" through Christ is comparable to that salvation the Jews had had from Egypt, "the house of bondage", though (1 Co 10).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It seems like that is correct.
He says we are "indebted" to Him (Ro 8:12),
But, my question is, "What if I don't give my life to God?"
Then what happens?
If the answer is, "You go to hell," then, He really didn't do anything, it's me who has to save myself by giving my life back to God.

Salvation is God as Christ on the Cross, 2000 yrs ago, offering eternal relationship, forever., through the sacrifice of Christ.

All who hear this Gospel, and BELIEVE.....= God will give that to you, as His "Gift of Salvation", and the New Birth.

And this is how to see more....

2nd Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17.

It cost you your faith, to have this Eternal Life.
Its cost God His Son, so that you can have it for Free, as "the Gift of Salvation".

When we think of this, we love God more.

So, what is discipleship, when we drill down to the essence? ????

Its just this..

"Trust in God, and Do good".

You do that reader, commit to that daily.....purposefully, and your discipleship will take flight and God will be the wind beneath your wings.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is God as Christ on the Cross, 2000 yrs ago, offering eternal relationship, forever., through the sacrifice of Christ.

All who hear this Gospel, and BELIEVE.....= God will give that to you, as His "Gift of Salvation", and the New Birth.

And this is how to see more....

2nd Corinthians 5:19

John 3:17.

It cost you your faith, to have this Eternal Life.
Its cost God His Son, so that you can have it for Free.

When we think of this, we love God more.

So, what is discipleship, when we drill down to the essence? ????

Its just this..

"Trust in God, and Do good".

You do that reader, commit to that daily.....purposefully, and your discipleship will take flight and God will be the wind beneath your wings.
Right, but what happens if I do not do my part?
I see in 1 Corinthians that "the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom".
Righteousness begins with "love God" and "love your neighbor as yourself".
Those are positive requirements.
If I do not do those things, I will not inherit.
This means I'm saving myself when I do good.

However, I'd said previously, it may be technically true that if we do not eat food we will die, but no one (unless under exceptional, abnormal, circumstances) sits down to a meal thinking that--thinking, "If I don't eat I will die!"

However, my issue is that I am being forced to see God as my Savior (Isaiah), because there is no Savior beside God, and, yet, the lasting salvation won't occur without my positive involvement.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Right, but what happens if I do not do my part?

The only part we play is to Receive what God has done.

Its not a part we play, its not a role we act, its a completed redemption, that makes us "the righteousness of God in Christ" born again, as "a new creation in Christ"

Here is what you become when you take Christ.. and God takes you.

SAINT
Heir of God
Joint Heir with Jesus
Temple of the Holy Spirit
In Christ
One with God
Brethren
Child of God
Child of the Light
Blood Bought
Redeemed
Heir of Salvation
Seated in Heavenly places.

"""AS Christ is....>So are the born again, in this World"

And @GracePeace ....

That is what you become the very second after you came to God as a lifetime sinner, and God washed your sin clean and forgotten in the precious Blood of Jesus.

God's Eternal Salvation does all of that for you, instantly.

Its not a progress and levels...
Its a finished Salvation, and what that means is, is that the born again START Finished.
We begin our walk in God, our first second of Discipleship as that LIST.

What we are to do, is.. to learn how to understand what and who we have become "in Christ".
And when you learn all this revelation, you have "worked out your Salvation".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only part we play is to Receive what God has done.

Its not a part we play, its not a role we act, its a completed redemption, that makes us "the righteousness of God in Christ" born again, as "a new creation in Christ"

Here is what you become when you take Christ.. and God takes you.

SAINT
Heir of God
Joint Heir with Jesus
Temple of the Holy Spirit
In Christ
One with God
Brethren
Child of God
Child of the Light
Blood Bought
Redeemed
Heir of Salvation
Seated in Heavenly places.

"""AS Christ is....>So are the born again, in this World"

And @GracePeace ....

That is what you become the very second after you came to God as a lifetime sinner, and God washed your sin clean and forgotten in the precious Blood of Jesus.

God's Eternal Salvation does all of that for you, instantly.

Its not a progress and levels...
Its a finished Salvation, and what that means is, is that the born again START Finished.
We begin our walk in God, our first second of Discipleship as that LIST.

What we are to do, is.. to learn how to understand what we have become "in Christ".
And when you learn all this revelation, you have "worked out your Salvation".
To say "what we do is receive" is a good point, because Revelation says if we do not watch and pray we will not be able to maintain our garments (our garments are our good deeds according to Rev 19), and, without the garments, we will be "ashamed" (Rv 16), as the Laodiceans were "naked" (had no good deeds), so, one could argue, "It's not your good deeds, it's your prayer that enables your deeds".

Also, it is the "abiding" of the branch in the Vine that enables his bearing of fruit, as a sign that he is abiding, NOT his bearing fruit that enables his "abiding".

Would you say, then, that the fault of the Corinthians--men who had "true faith" (at some point, at least)--that they were not prayerful, or paying enough attention, or honoring enough, the things that Christ did for them (because they were sinning, and were even boasting about their sins, so that they were warned "the unrighteous will not inherit God's Kingdom" 1 Co 6)?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Would you say, then, that the fault of the Corinthians--men who had "true faith" (at some point, at least)--that they were not prayerful, or paying enough attention, or honoring enough, the things that Christ did for them

The Corinthian Church is the most carnal church in the NT.
Carnal babies, .. filled with "im the leader" "Im the chosen" "no its me"... "look at me me me me, its all about me".
What is interesting also, is that these diaper baby Christians, only worried about spiritual Gifts, yet had no knowledge of God, or the Holy Spirit... nothing.
They didnt even know that they had the Holy Spirit, yet they were trying to "do the gifts'.

A.) Babies love Gifts., and chase them.

(because they were sinning, and were even boasting about their sins, so that they were warned "the unrighteous will not inherit God's Kingdom" 1 Co 6)?

If you are born again, then you are not unrighteous.

The born again are "in Christ".. God has given the born again "The Gift of Righteousness".

There is no sin found in Righteousness.

1 John 3:9 is a must read, must understand.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Corinthian Church is the most carnal church in the NT.
Carnal babies, .. filled with "im the leader" "Im the chosen" "no its me"... "look at me me me me, its all about me".
Yes, they had "true faith", and yet were "carnal". which means "unspiritual"--this means they were "sinful", as Paul points, out over and over, in the letter, and this fact was why Paul warned them, in response to their sinful behavior, "the unrighteous do not inherit the Kingdom".
What is interesting also, is that these diaper baby Christians, only worried about spiritual Gifts, yet had no knowledge of God, or the Holy Spirit... nothing.
They didnt even know that they had the Holy Spirit, yet they were trying to "do the gifts'.

A.) Babies love Gifts., and chase them.
Actually, Paul says to "eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially to prophesy", so there's nothing wrong with that.
If you are born again, then you are not unrighteous.

The born again are "in Christ".. God has given the born again "The Gift of Righteousness".

There is no sin found in Righteousness.

1 John 3:9 is a must read, must understand.
We're both right here: Paul tells the Corinthians to "purge out the old leaven, for you are unleavened"--in other words, "you are not acting like who you truly are", so, yes, it is possible to be "actually a saint", but acting like a sinner, so as to warrant the warning, "the unrighteous will not inherit God's Kingdom", as he also warns in Ro 8:12,13 "if you walk after the flesh you will die [as he had previously covered: Adam died for sinning, and we were dead in sins and trespasses] but if by the Spirit your mortify the deeds of the flesh you will live".

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're more comfortable talking about things in terms of Reformed theology instead of relationships
One last clarification (since you seem to want to move on): I'm not "Reformed" (ie, Monergist).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, they had "true faith", and yet were "carnal". which means "unspiritual"--this means they were "sinful"

You can't be born again and have sin.

1 John 3:9

If you have sin, then its not forgiven, yet.

If you have sin, then God does not have you as His own, yet.

Here is what God does with ALL the sin, of the BELIEVER.

"God hath made JESUS.... to be SIN....for us"

Jesus took the sin of the believer to the Grave and left it, and rose again without it, and you dont have it, if you are born again.
If you are just water baptized and religious, then you have it...
Sure.

"Jesus is the ONE time ETERNAL.... sacrifice for sin"..

So, there is no Sin found In Heaven, or "in Christ"
All the born again, are "seated in heavenly places" 'in Christ".

"well behold, my church teaches that you confess it to get it forgive again". "re-saved".

Sorry, no.

Jesus is the "ONE TIME...ETERNAL Sacrifice for sin".

If you are confessing sin that He has already died 2000 yrs ago to deal with ETERNALLY, then you are in a church that is not understanding the Grace of God as the Cross of Christ..

"but they are smart, and some of these pastors have a lot of Seminary training" "and they have big bibles" and they wear "blue suits" and they say., "Gawd."

Ok.. next.