Terms and Conditions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every child (lack of maturity) wants instant gratification. That has never been the path to insight, to hope or to ongoing maturity.
Even granting this is true, in other words, it is not "as I wish".

Thank you for admitting that you erred.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even granting this is true, in other words, it is not "as I wish".

Thank you for admitting that you erred.
'A sower went out to sow seeds, some fell on the path and the birds came and devoured them, some on rocky soil....etc.' Jesus.
Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20, Luke 8:4-15

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'A sower went out to sow seeds, some fell on the path and the birds came and devoured them, some on rocky soil....etc.' Jesus.
Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20, Luke 8:4-15
You've wasted enough time and space--either reply in an on-topic fashion, or don't respond at all.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I am motivated by fear of destruction, but I was told, in prayer, not to even be afraid of going to hell, but to serve completely out of love, but I find it difficult to forget I am being threatened, and I am motivated by the threat, so, when I am told, "Just serve completely out of love, not fear" it makes no sense, and I have no motivation--I mean, if God loves me, then He loves me, He accepts me, I don't have to do anything to make Him accept me... but there is the threat of hell fire, so I am motivated, but I'm not allowed to be motivated by that.
The deceptful heart can be convinced of pretty much anything. Everyone desires eternal life, it was instilled into us according to scripture. So even in those who are not saved they can easily convince themselves they are.

I believe it is for this reason that we are judged according to our works. Because works do not lie. But beware of works done so others may see, but It doesn't sound like your problem.

Fear is a valid motivation it is a starting point. But perfect love casts out fear.

I too am concerned with where my heart is when doing good. Perhaps think as follows:

I have been purchased by Jesus, I am not my own. My works are not my own, but it is right to do them. Christ sacrificed all on the Cross, this little bit is comparitibely little.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know how I could stop God from loving me. I don't feel the love though.
I really have been helped by discussing things with other believers who have grace--they, themselves, do not need to have answers, but they have the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit they have edifies me, reminds me of Scripture, and moves me to trust in and pray to God, and that has really been the real solution. The more I bring my difficulties to God, instead of wrongly thinking they're my "responsibility" to solve, the more solutions I get (and solutions to confounding conundrums I thought there were no possible answers to!).

I eventually got myself banned from that site--they all disagreed with me, and they hated me, because they had no answers, so they wouldn't publish many of my new posts, so I just posted them to my thread I already had open (had they explicitly told me "We're not going to publish your post, and here is the reason why", I wouldn't have done it, but I was slightly uncertain about whether they were going to publish it, and were still sitting on it, plus I suspected they were being unfair, because they had published posts from other users with information along the same lines (eg, I wanted to post about how the original Jews were white, based on the finding of Joseph's pyramid, but they wouldn't publish it... yet they published a "Black Hebrew Israelite"'s post about how Jesus was Black))--but it was edifying while it lasted.

Maybe I can have an edifying discussion here, too.
Just talking to other Christians--even when 95% of them disagree--is edifying!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The deceptful heart can be convinced of pretty much anything. Everyone desires eternal life, it was instilled into us according to scripture. So even in those who are not saved they can easily convince themselves they are.

I believe it is for this reason that we are judged according to our works. Because works do not lie. But beware of works done so others may see, but It doesn't sound like your problem.

Fear is a valid motivation it is a starting point. But perfect love casts out fear.

I too am concerned with where my heart is when doing good. Perhaps think as follows:

I have been purchased by Jesus, I am not my own. My works are not my own, but it is right to do them. Christ sacrificed all on the Cross, this little bit is comparitibely little.
Thanks.

I think this came to me after someone prayed for me, or after God answered one of my prayers (I don't remember, but I do know it was by God's grace):

There is a connection between the fundamental issue Paul has with being "under Law", and this issue: when we are going to take credit for good works only God can do in us, God won't act (Deut 32:26,27)--leaving us with only our flesh, and its weakness, to perform--and it seems like the indication we are going to take credit is when we are motivated by fear (Judges 7:2+)... however, fear is also the hallmark of "slavery" (Ro 8:15), and the Law produces slaves (Gal 4:24) whose service is, ipso facto, marked by fear, and Paul equates all of this "under Law" estate with "walking after" "the sinful flesh" (Ro 8:3; Gal 3:3), so that it never results in righteousness or peace given the righteous (Ro 5:1), and withheld from the wicked (Is 48:22).

Therefore, we may be committing, substantively, the selfsame, or a similar, error as those "under Law" if we are motivated to do good works by fear--relying not on Christ, and God's grace, such that God refuses to act (so as to preempt us from stealing His glory, claiming, "I did it, it was not the LORD!"), so we're left with the weakness of our flesh to try to perform the good, and not we're not helped by God's glorious grace.

Somehow, fear creeps in when I'm doing works. Others have told me the same happens to them.
The flesh has the desire for praise, so it wants to say, "Look at me!" So, fear comes along with that (ie, with walking after the flesh--by fulfilling pride, not mortifying it, by working with fear), but when we confess, "Christ saved me!", that is striking at the flesh that wants to ascribe to itself some reason for people to look at self (not God).
God says, "lest they boast AGAINST ME..."--boasting is not done in a vacuum, or without a context, but, when it is done, it is done specifically AGAINST GOD.

I am praying God will unify my obedience to the first tablet of the Law of Faith ("Believe on the Name of the Son of God") with my obedience to the second tablet of the Law of Faith ("and love one another"), so that I do not, somehow, break the first tablet while going about to fulfill the second tablet.

Last edited:

Vall

Oct 15, 2023
Yacolt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could argue, "Well, it's not you doing the good deeds, now, it's Christ."

That's all fine and well, but Christ isn't going to go to hell if I don't do the good deeds, I will, so it's me doing them, but if I'm saving myself, I'm my own god, and that's idolatry, which will bring me to hell.
Your salvation is by Grace not by works or deeds, through your faith and the unblemished sacrifice of Jesus you have salvation , he said no one comes to the Father accept through me I am the truth , the way and life eternally.

Vall

Oct 15, 2023
Yacolt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He wrote more then 1-2 Corinthians, so, the other 11 Epistles speak more about it.

Now...Here is how to understand "sin".

Its the law that defines you as a sinner, and your carnal works of the Flesh, as sin.

This is the dominion of the Law. And the Curse of the law, is that its defines you as a sinner and worst of all, it empowers you to sin.

"the power of SIN, is the LAW".. "the LAW is the power of Sin".

So, what happens if the Law is taken away from you, so that it has no more authority to define you as a sinner, ever again. ??????

A.) "Christ is the END of the LAW....for Righteousness, to everyone who Believes"

AA.) "Jesus has redeemed the born again from the CURSE of the LAW"

AAA.) The Born again, are "not under the LAW... but under Grace".

So, how does GRACE define you, always?

A.) "Where there is no LAW... there is no SIN.. no Transgression"

Welcome to : Salvation

Welcome to : "in Christ"
Jesus did not give an endless checkbook of sin ..... But he did point out clearly that he came to fulfill Levitical law not to change it ..... We have a propensity to sin inherited from Adam with a willful want to blame others for our shortcomings. Each believer is charged to repent of their sin even a few seconds after the thought is recognized at that moment you are forgiven ..... God knows each of us better than we know ourselves .... scripture is for self examination and a better understanding of how God see's us.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your salvation is by Grace not by works or deeds, through your faith and the unblemished sacrifice of Jesus you have salvation , he said no one comes to the Father accept through me I am the truth , the way and life eternally.
The question is not whether Christ is the only way to God and life (the eternal life is "in His Son" 1 Jn 5), the question is about the definition of being "in Christ": His life He lays down is only for His friends, and He defines "friends" as those who do what ever He tells them to do (Jn 15:13,14), which is the selfsame doctrine as 1 Jn 3:23, where only those who obey the twofold command to 1) Believe on the Name of God's Son, and 2) love one another (defined as "walking by faith" in Ro 14:5,23--faith works by love, so walking by faith is "loving" God and "one another", and this would be how the believer "remains" "in Christ", and those who break the twofold command do not "remain" 1 Jn 2:28, 1 Jn 5:21, so do not qualify for "no condemnation" Ro 8:1, but are "condemned" Ro 14:23) abide in Him, and are thus qualified for and supplied with the eternal life/Spirit that is located "in Him".

Last edited:

Vall

Oct 15, 2023
Yacolt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is not whether Christ is the only way to God and life (the eternal life is "in His Son" 1 Jn 5), the question is about the definition of being "in Christ": His life He lays down is only for His friends, and He defines "friends" as those who do what ever He tells them to do (Jn 15:13,14), which is the selfsame doctrine as 1 Jn 3:23, where only those who obey the twofold command to 1) Believe on the Name of God's Son, and 2) love one another (defined as "walking by faith" in Ro 14:5,23--faith works by love, so walking by faith is "loving" God and "one another", and this would be how the believer "remains" "in Christ", and those who break the twofold command do not "remain" 1 Jn 2:28, 1 Jn 5:21, so do not qualify for "no condemnation" Ro 8:1, but are "condemned" Ro 14:23) abide in Him, and are thus qualified for and supplied with the eternal life/Spirit that is located "in Him".
Romans 10 9 If you confess by mouth that Jesus is lord and the he was raised from death then salvation is yours as a free gift and eternal life is yours.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10 9 If you confess by mouth that Jesus is lord and the he was raised from death then salvation is yours as a free gift and eternal life is yours.
Yep, you're saved--and Paul says that that "salvation" is comparable to the "salvation" of the Jews from Egypt, and, just as they sinned and fell under God's wrath and forfeited the promise, that applies to Christians, including himself.

1 Corinthians 9:27 - 1 Corinthians 10:13
27But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.
6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, “THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY.” 8Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. 9Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents. 10Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. 12Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall. 13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Vall

Oct 15, 2023
Yacolt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, you're saved--and Paul says that that "salvation" is comparable to the "salvation" of the Jews from Egypt, and, just as they sinned and fell under God's wrath and forfeited the promise, that applies to Christians, including himself.

1 Corinthians 9:27 - 1 Corinthians 10:13
27But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.
6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, “THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY.” 8Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. 9Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents. 10Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. 12Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall. 13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
We can go into old testament and try to play it against the new testament as many scoffers do.... it only shows a wanting will to deny Jesus his rightful place as savior and light of the world ...... only one with true understanding would recognize this.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can go into old testament and try to play it against the new testament as many scoffers do.... it only shows a wanting will to deny Jesus his rightful place as savior and light of the world ...... only one with true understanding would recognize this.
Actually, that was Paul stating that salvation and the promise of eternal life can be forfeited through sin, not me, so your argument is with him, not me