The “immortal” jellyfish

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am so sorry to hear that.
Thank you. I hope it's okay to share this. IMG_20210729_091515809.jpg
Matt's favorite song was "Hidden" by United Pursuit. On the back of his headstone, we had some of the lyrics engraved. He listened to it many times a day.

From an early age, I taught all my kids what it means to be hidden with Christ in God. Man can only go so far, but we are hidden in the Secret Place of the Most High ....no matter what anyone does to these bodies. My son lived that out every day...an example to me and all who knew him.❤️

This was another of his favorite songs which he often listened to.❤️

Reactions: Mantis

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found in the waters of both the Mediterranean Sea and Japan, a tiny invertebrate called Turritopsis dohrnii is the only animal known to be biologically capable of reverting back to sexual immaturity after reaching adulthood. As there is no limit to the number of times it reverts back to a near-infant state, it can conceivably repeat the process forever, rendering it immortal.

Formerly known as Turritopsis nutricula, scientists first discovered the immortal jellyfish in 1883, when they found it swimming in the warm waters of the Mediterranean.

But it would take another century for scientists to discover the species’ unique abilities — and to discover that the immortal jellyfish’s long life wasn’t some otherworldly blessing, but an attempt to save itself from the dangers of the deep sea.

Taking cues from Mother Nature herself, the scientific community is looking to the Turritopsis dohrnii for new ways to manipulate cells.

In fact, one recent study of mice found success in using gene manipulation to get fibroblasts, a type of architectural cell in the heart, to transdifferentiate into cardiomyocyte-like cells, the essential bundles of muscle that allow the heart to do its job.

While researchers still have a long way to go in understanding just how the process which puts the “immortal” in “immortal jellyfish” can work to benefit humans, big strides are being made one step at a time.

View attachment 18760

This Jellyfish Can Live Forever: Here's How, And What This Means For Humans
Immortal Jelly People next?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jellyfish are really neat. Surely the thing does die though.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jellyfish are really neat. Surely the thing does die though.

Yes it does, it gets eaten by other predators but in perfect condition it can live forever supposedly. One Japanese scientist has kept them alive since early 90s and says that it’s a lot of work cos he has to feed them shrimp daily.

Reactions: MatthewG

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
General message? How does keeping things pure square with the jelly fish DNA angle?

Yes this is where we are going to our extreme positions and leave it at that.

You can choose NOT to go to the doctor when you get sick and I will choose to GO to the doctor who offers genetic engineering.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes this is where we are going to our extreme positions and leave it at that.

You can choose NOT to go to the doctor when you get sick and I will choose to GO to the doctor who offers genetic engineering.

You are operating under a false premise. That individual choice is independent of submitting to the will of God and salvation.

Life. Death. They are indeed extreme positions.

However, leaving it at that is absurd for God begins with life, specifically the choice to choose life through him over death. The truth oof your god is revealed, "science of genetic engineering" over the Word of God. May he have mercy on your soul.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are operating under a false premise. That individual choice is independent of submitting to the will of God and salvation.

Life. Death. They are indeed extreme positions.

However, leaving it at that is absurd for God begins with life, specifically the choice to choose life through him over death. The truth oof your god is revealed, "science of genetic engineering" over the Word of God. May he have mercy on your soul.

Indeed. May he have mercy on your soul too for using The Internet, Satan’s technology.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GaryAnderson it's one thing to use a tool, but totally another to integrate it into your DNA.

Yes but some people are trapped in binary thinking here and are unable to have a nuanced discussion.
You’re basically justifying yourself by rationalizing, and obviously I don’t want to create a new species but want to cure diseases.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but some people are trapped in binary thinking here and are unable to have a nuanced discussion.
You’re basically justifying yourself by rationalizing, and obviously I don’t want to create a new species but want to cure diseases.
So are you talking about taking something in pill form that comes from a jellyfish ...kinda like we eat food or take supplements?

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you talking about taking something in pill form that comes from a jellyfish ...kinda like we eat food or take supplements?

Yes, or a vaccine. A lot of things which were incurable 200 years ago are prevented by vaccines now.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, or a vaccine. A lot of things which were incurable 200 years ago are prevented by vaccines now.
If I was able to trust the sources, I'd say a supplement would be okay for me if it was to treat an illness. If it's manipulated and tempered with, and altered to the point it's poisonous like most/all pharmaceuticals....no ....not to line the pockets of doctors whose only motive is greed. And I definitely put vaccines in that category. That's just me.

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I was able to trust the sources, I'd say a supplement would be okay for me of it was to treat an illness. If it's manipulated and tempered with, and altered to the point it's poisonous like most/all pharmaceuticals....no ....not to line the pockets of doctors whose only motive is greed. And I definitely put vaccines in that category. That's just me.

Understood.

Reactions: TLHKAJ