The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being born again, is not related to commandments or law.

You've spoken incorrectly. Being born again of the Spirit has everything to do with God's law because our new nature is where God writes His laws. It is not legal to break God's laws as you imply.

Romans 3:31
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

1 John 3:24
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is (in brief) the Doctrine of God in Christ

a.) You must be Born-Again = "SAVED by Grace thru Faith and not of works lest any man should boast" - Ephesians ch2

b.) Fully justified by Grace thru the Redeeming Blood of CHRIST - 1 Peter 1:19
knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

c.) Growing in the Word = 1 Peter 2:2 "As newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow THEREBY"

d.) Sanctification begins, continues and ends with a Relationship and Walk with TRUTH = John chapter 17
They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.

e.) Sanctification Begins and Ends thru FAITH - 1 Peter 1:6-9
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.
John 17 mentions sanctification, but not as a continuing process. We are set apart, meaning we belong to Him. How many times do we BECOME born again?

Have you never heard of glorification? Read John 17 again slowly.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17 mentions sanctification, but not as a continuing process.

Have you never heard of glorification? Read John 17 again slowly.
Please read the post again = Scripture clearly states that sanctification is a Beginning, Continuous and End(physical death/this life).

Ephesians 5:25-27
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Neither you, myself or the entire Body of Christ is walking perfectly in TRUTH = it is a continual Walk in Truth = Sanctification.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read the post again = Scripture clearly states that sanctification is a Beginning, Continuous and End(physical death/this life).

Ephesians 5:25-27
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Neither you, myself or the entire Body of Christ is walking perfectly in TRUTH = it is a continual Walk in Truth = Sanctification.
Did you read John 17? Wives back then were ignorant and illiterate. Husbands became born again first usually because they could understand. He is talking about bringing a wife to the Lord through knowledge of the Word.

• Wow
Reactions: David in NJ

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct = It was the choice of Wealth and Comfort vs Self-Denial and Commitment to following the MESSIAH of Israel(and the World).
I'm afraid I'll have to beg your pardon again, Brother.

I see the Word directly pointing out the covetousness, but not an aversion to following Christ as Messiah of Israel. It could be argued that he never expected Christ to point out his greed and that therefore he had a wrong misconception of who Christ is but this only portrays the law as necessary to reveal the sinner's need of Christ—not as a relic of Hebrew ritual.

As you pointed out = "he had great possessions"
I didn't point that out. The Word did.
However, the GREATEST Possession was in front of this young ruler = the MESSIAH and SAVIOR
That's good Systematic Theology. But it can't be gleaned from the story itself or the immediate text.
FOCUS: The young ruler was FAITHFUL to God in obeying the Commandments = “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.”
Why focus on the man's cognitive distortion? He was only superficially in compliance with 9 of the commandments, at most.
JESUS points out to him and to us that obeying the Commandments alone cannot SAVE a person.
The subject of salvation is not indicated nor implied in the text. It is a story about a rich young ruler's encounter with Jesus, whom he came seeking to follow as the Messiah. What barred this man's way to the feet of Jesus was his ignorance of the claims of the 10th commandment on every man's heart. Since he loved his goods supremely, he could not come to Christ for the grace needed to free him from his covetousness. He didn't have to keep any commandment to be saved. At the moment, he only had to be willing to do whatever Christ required to be accepted as His follower. It is unlikely that he had any aspirations of eternal life. Certainly, none are indicated in the text. But verse 22 is clear that He could not risk the possibility of not having his nest egg to fall back on if Jesus didn't come through for him.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you said is not true.

Ive not said that... i simply said that keeping commandments, and doing works, have nothing to do with being BORN AGAIN.

See,
Being born again, is not related to commandments or law.

Generally the disconnect in understanding, is that many believers dont understand the distinction between Salvation that God's provides, and then what we do afterwards, as our discipleship.

They see salvation and discipleship as "the same".. .and they are not., and that is the confusion about law, and commandments, vs, Salvation.
you're still not answering the question:
'why did Jesus' followers obey the 10 Commandments after His death on the Cross?'

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see the Word directly pointing out the covetousness, but not an aversion to following Christ as Messiah of Israel. It could be argued that he never expected Christ to point out his greed and that therefore he had a wrong misconception of who Christ is but this only portrays the law as necessary to reveal the sinner's need of Christ—not as a relic of Hebrew ritual.

That's good Systematic Theology. But it can't be gleaned from the story itself or the immediate text.

Why focus on the man's cognitive distortion? He was only superficially in compliance with 9 of the commandments, at most.

The subject of salvation is not indicated nor implied in the text. It is a story about a rich young ruler's encounter with Jesus, whom he came seeking to follow as the Messiah. What barred this man's way to the feet of Jesus was his ignorance of the claims of the 10th commandment on every man's heart. Since he loved his goods supremely, he could not come to Christ for the grace needed to free him from his covetousness. He didn't have to keep any commandment to be saved. At the moment, he only had to be willing to do whatever Christ required to be accepted as His follower. It is unlikely that he had any aspirations of eternal life. Certainly, none are indicated in the text. But verse 22 is clear that He could not risk the possibility of not having his nest egg to fall back on if Jesus didn't come through for him.

It really only took righteousness to be saved in the Old Testament. Jesus as the Author and Finisher of our faith produces that in us in the New Covenant when he writes the laws on our new born again nature after we repent and are cleansed of all unrighteousness. Seeing as the rich young ruler kept the commandments, he was already righteous. What Jesus wanted was for him to go beyond the law all the way to perfection which Jesus was actually referring to the New Covenant if he accepted Christ as His Lord. If he had died before Christ did, he would have been resurrected and gone to heaven with Jesus when he did.

Perfection and holiness (same thing) for us has to do with the complete maturity of all the fruit of the Spirit. Not too many Christians know the necessity of maturing in the fruit of the Spirit. Just look at the wrath and hatred on the forums?

And look at Matthew 7:19-23 and how they are attached (The second part of the commandments of Jesus is maturing in the fruit of the Spirit (1 John 3:23 - loving one another, so His laws).

19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

HalleluYAH

The Holy Spirit has you right where HE wants you Barney, in this discussion of TRUTH = Luke 18:18-27

You said
: "I see the Word directly pointing out the covetousness, but not an aversion to following Christ as Messiah of Israel. It could be argued that he never expected Christ to point out his greed and that therefore he had a wrong misconception of who Christ is but this only portrays the law as necessary to reveal the sinner's need of Christ—not as a relic of Hebrew ritual".

Barney, this passage of Truth is the very Place where the LORD confirms that the 10 Commandments cannot Save anyone.

QUESTION: Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

STANDING: Religion/10 Commandments = young ruler = “All these things I have kept from my youth.”

STANDING is INCOMPLETE: You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

SALVATION is = ONE THING = follow JESUS

And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!
For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

QUESTION: And those who heard it said, “Who then can be saved?”

ANSWER: JESUS says, That which is impossible with men is (only) possible with God.”

Pay Attention all jw's, catholics, and those who trust in religion and the 10 Commandments

ONLY JESUS SAVES

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time when I was like you. But when I was finally born again of the Spirit, I was shocked to realize I had not been saved for 30 years!
Wow, arrogance like that is what causes people to stumble over the word of God.

Indeed you may have been Born-Again by the Spirit but you lack understanding in the scriptures.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul speaks specifically about the 10 commandments in the book of Romans.
Paul mentions the commandment that commands you shall not covet.
No doubt that is the 10 commandments.

Listen to what Paul has to say about the old law of Moses,

Romans 7:4,
- Therefore my brethren you also have become  dead to the law through the body of Christ that you may be married to another to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God

Verse 7,
- What shall we say then, is the law sin, certainly not, on the contrary I would not have known sin except through the law, for I would not have known covetousness unless the law said, You shall not covet

Paul is speaking of the old law, i.e. the ten commandments.
Paul said to his jewish brethren that have converted to christianity, that we are dead to the law .
That law that states You shall not covet.

Conclusion: Paul teaches christians are dead to the old law the law of the ten commandments.

Reactions: Wynona

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUESTION: Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Fair enough.

I concede my glaring mistake.

I forgot how the story begins, and I should have re-read it before commenting on it.

That's one a-ha I owe you - lol.

However, I've never in my life believed that anyone could be saved by keeping any one, nor all of the 10 commandments. And this story is hardly the only place where Christ decries legalism.

If I seem obtuse about this, I guess it's just that I'm amazed that my upbringing in a grace-oriented, eternal security-espousing, Sunday-keeping church had absolutely no hint of apprehension toward teaching the ten commandments as being God's eternal moral code not only for Christians, but for the whole of mankind.

And yet, almost suddenly, I find myself awash in a world containing a Christianity that sees God's law as a cursed thing to be despised and warred against at every turn.

(To this day, my father believes in the perpetuity of God's law.)

I know exactly what caused all of this but it is nonetheless bewildering to me.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough.

I forgot how the story begins, and I should have re-read it before commenting on it.

However, I've never in my life believed that anyone could be saved by keeping any one, nor all of the 10 commandments. And this story is hardly the only place where Christ decries legalism.

If I seem obtuse about this, I guess it's just that I'm amazed that my upbringing in a grace-oriented, eternal security-espousing, Sunday-keeping church had absolutely no hint of apprehension toward teaching the ten commandments as being God's eternal moral code not only for Christians, but for the whole of mankind.

And yet, almost suddenly, I find myself awash in a world containing a Christianity that sees God's law as a cursed thing to be despised and warred against at every turn.

Love you my Brother.

i am not against keeping the NT Commandments of God, including the BIG 10.

i just know that i am unable to keep them perfectly as only CHRIST can, therefore the focus of my faith is to JESUS.

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking unto JESUS, the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2

Peace to you Barney

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough.

Barney, i have not forgotten your invitation you gave to me to come out to you.

UPDATE: i had hip replacement surgery 4 weeks ago and it will take at least another month or two to build my strength for a trip to you.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HalleluYAH

The Holy Spirit has you right where HE wants you Barney, in this discussion of TRUTH = Luke 18:18-27

You said
: "I see the Word directly pointing out the covetousness, but not an aversion to following Christ as Messiah of Israel. It could be argued that he never expected Christ to point out his greed and that therefore he had a wrong misconception of who Christ is but this only portrays the law as necessary to reveal the sinner's need of Christ—not as a relic of Hebrew ritual".

Barney, this passage of Truth is the very Place where the LORD confirms that the 10 Commandments cannot Save anyone.

STANDING: Religion/10 Commandments = young ruler = “All these things I have kept from my youth.”

STANDING is INCOMPLETE: You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

SALVATION is = ONE THING = follow JESUS

And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!
For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

QUESTION: And those who heard it said, “Who then can be saved?”

ANSWER: JESUS says, That which is impossible with men is (only) possible with God.”

Pay Attention all jw's, catholics, and those who trust in religion and the 10 Commandments

ONLY JESUS SAVES
Please name the member who specifically stated the 10 commandments save.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.