The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's just not what the Bible says:

1Then the LORD said to Moses, 2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘These are My appointed feasts, the feasts of the LORD that you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.3For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of complete rest, a day of sacred assembly. You must not do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD.
Book, chapter?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's just not what the Bible says:

1Then the LORD said to Moses, 2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘These are My appointed feasts, the feasts of the LORD that you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.3For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of complete rest, a day of sacred assembly. You must not do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD.
That is Leviticus 23 and it does not say that the Sabbath is a feast.

Context is everything.

After that verse, God begins His description of the feasts, giving specific dates, etc. Those are the feasts.

The one verse there, verse 3, is God declaring that the Seventh Day of each week will be the same perpetually. It is not part of the feasts.

Nice try.

You're persistent, I'll give you that.

You're going to discredit God's Word if it's the last thing you do, right?!

That's the spirit.

Good luck with that.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This take doesn't align with Revelation 3:5.

That verse shows that names can be blotted out from the Book of Life. That means that the 'saved', or whatever you'd like to refer to them as, can still sin ... and can lose their place in God's Kingdom.

If sin is still possible, the 10 Commandments are still valid. You can't have one without the other. They are inseparable.

"This"? I have no idea which part you are referring to.

The Book of Life has all of mankind in it.

The Church is filled with people being "drawn" in knowledge about Christ and salvation, but have chosen to believe a lie. They do not have the Holy Spirit inside them; He is still on the outside knocking.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should be happy to see I'm not one of those who disavow the law entirely.
Matthew 5:19 KJV: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
James 2:10 KJV: For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

I want everyone here who observes the sabbath to keep doing that - just lose the 'I'm going to hell if I don't' part.
Straw man
Save that for the things that actually matter, you know, do not steal, do not commit adultery,
Wait, so it's okay to tell people they're going to hell as long as you use one of the other nine commandments to accuse them?
This double standard is a serious problem.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait, so it's okay to tell people they're going to hell as long as you use one of the other nine commandments to accuse them?
You can use the sabbath rest command too. Not according to the meaningless literal fulfillment of God's requirement for rest, but according to everyman's lack of rest in regard to their slavery to and constant work of sin.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:19 KJV: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
So, are you and your family carefully keeping the laws concerning mildews, and body fluids?

I am, but in regard to their more meaningful spiritual reality.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you sinned once in not keeping the sabbath, then one cannot be considered a sabbath keeper.
How utterly ridiculous! No one has ever kept the Sabbath perfectly throughout their whole life, except Jesus, regardless of your obsession with Matthew 12.

This is like saying if someone has ever had a malicious thought, they cannot but be considered any other than a murderer. What was Christ's sacrifice for? To cover the sins of those who don't sin?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2:10 KJV: For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
As you know, I've been defending the upholding of ALL the law, not just part of it. But as you also should know by now, I'm saying some things continue to get literally upheld by us, and some are upheld by the Ministry and Sacrifice of Christ through our faith and the giving of the Holy Spirit. No debt of law remains for the believing person. All is upheld by faith in Christ.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is Leviticus 23 and it does not say that the Sabbath is a feast.
Okaaaaay.....

"1Then the LORD said to Moses, 2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘These are My appointed feasts, the feasts of the LORD that you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.3For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of complete rest, a day of sacred assembly. You must not do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD." Leviticus 23:1-3

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read every scripture in the Bible, many times.

Make your case.

Lay it out. It's not that time-consuming.

I could tell you "Read Deuteronomy." That doesn't make my case, does it?

Make your case for an alternative set of 10 Commandments, step-by-step, verse by verse. That's how this stuff works. You say you went to Bible College of some capacity. Certainly you know how it's done.

Convince us.

This is some pretty simple stuff. Clear and easy to read.
Exodus 34:11-28

Ok step by step....

Exodus 34:11
Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day:: And then He tells Moses He intends to drive out some Pagan......What does Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day...mean to you?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping is pushed as the mark of the genuinely saved person.
By the fringe, maybe, but it is not the policy of the majority of Sabbath-keepers, and portraying that it is is bearing false witness.
So, are you and your family carefully keeping the laws concerning mildews, and body fluids?
I would if I were a Jew living 2000+ years ago. And what say we leave my family out of this?
I am, but in regard to their more meaningful spiritual reality.
The meaningful spiritual reality of household hygiene? How do you spiritually keep a house clean from literal mildew? Are you keeping the Sabbath in regard to its more meaningful spiritual reality? And rest in Jesus is not Sabbath-keeping.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thus, the Law on how to live rightly before God. The 10 Commandments which stand as a beacon of hope FOREVER.
Good luck for those who think they can live righteously by having the Law.....How is it going in your own life?....and look within your own circles of those who make great claims re the Law.....how are they going.......has it changed the inward man?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentiles do not keep the sabbath and yet there are no instructions to the churches in the N.T. to teach them to keep the sabbath.
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, etc. We are all one in Christ Jesus. He gave plenty of instruction and examples on Sabbath-keeping in the Gospels. The 3rd commandment is not instructed in the NT. Why do we turn a blind eye to these things?
However, there is a scripture that testify to doing a collection on the first day of the week for why they were to set aside a portion from that collection to support missionaries in the field. That can only be done at church service ad it was being held on Sunday as the order was to all the churches.
It can be done anywhere. And none of the most respected Sunday-keeping scholars claim this nonsense as establishing Sunday sacredness anymore.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As a familiar pattern I am starting to see clearly in your posts, this is a totally bogus position you are claiming to have.

The Truth of the matter is that you don't agree with the 10 Commandments still being in effect, and certainly not throughout the end times.

You are making a mockery of the concept of them being steadfast until the end of time, as well as any other concept you can make a joke of.

Your doctrine that you claim yourself to be all about is a mixture of New Age, Science, Pop Psychology and a pinch of Bible sprinkled on top. It is obvious that you don't embrace Biblical Truth with that attitude.

Your contributions to the thread are almost without any value at all.
It's unfortunate that you've come to this conclusion. I think you are upset because I dare to challenge your pet view that having law can make you righteous.

Your insistence that I am opposed to law is unfounded and I assure you I am not mocking.

Your piety is undermined by your hurry to make wild statements like this:-
' The Truth of the matter is that you don't agree with the 10 Commandments still being in effect, and certainly not throughout the end times'.
and this:-
'Your doctrine that you claim yourself to be all about is a mixture of New Age, Science, Pop Psychology and a pinch of Bible sprinkled on top. It is obvious that you don't embrace Biblical Truth with that attitude.'

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would if I were a Jew living 2000+ years ago.
Then what did you mean by posting James 2:10?

And what say we leave my family out of this?
I had to include your wife because of the laws for women.

The meaningful spiritual reality of household hygiene? How do you spiritually keep a house clean from literal mildew?
Don't you get it????
You're the spiritual house of God!

Are you keeping the Sabbath in regard to its more meaningful spiritual reality?
Whenever I walk according to Spirit expressed in the fruit of the Spirit I am keeping God's requirement for sabbath rest according to the spiritual reality, not the meaningless (spiritually speaking) literal rest. There is NO LAW against those who walk according to the fruit of the Spirit.

"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
When the believer walks according to the qualities of the Spirit he is not guilty of violating any law.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GEN2REV
This is some pretty simple stuff. Clear and easy to read.

Ok step by step....

Exodus 34:11
Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day:: And then He tells Moses He intends to drive out some Pagan......What does Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day...mean to you?

Then we have.....

11 “Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day: {and He explains to Moses that He intends to drive out the Pagan} behold, I am going to drive out the Amorite before you, and the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite.

1st Commandment
12 Watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, or it will become a snare in your midst. 13 But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim

2nd Commandment
14 for you shall not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God 15 otherwise you might make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they would play the harlot with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone might invite you to eat of his sacrifice, 16 and you might take some of his daughters for your sons, and his daughters might play the harlot with their gods and cause your sons also to play the harlot with their gods.

3rd Commandment
17 You shall make for yourself no molten gods.

4th Commandment
18 “You shall observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days you are to eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in the month of Abib you came out of Egypt.

5th Commandment
19 “The first offspring from every womb belongs to Me, and all your male livestock, the first offspring from cattle and sheep. 20 You shall redeem with a lamb the first offspring from a donkey; and if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. You shall redeem all the firstborn of your sons. None shall appear before Me empty-handed.

6th Commandment
21 “You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

7th Commandment
22 You shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

8th Commandment
23 Three times a year all your males are to appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel. 24 For I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your borders, and no man shall covet your land when you go up three times a year to appear before the Lord your God.

9th Commandment
25 “You shall not offer the blood of My sacrifice with leavened bread, nor is the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover to be left over until morning.

10th Commandment
26 “You shall bring the very first of the first fruits of your soil into the house of the Lord your God. “You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Now Read carefully….So then God tells Moses to write the Commandments of the covenant, down on the tablets and refers to them as the Ten Commandments…

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 So he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Now this is not new information….scholars have been commenting on this for centuries.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then what did you mean by posting James 2:10?
I'm not sure there's any point in answering these questions that seem to be thinly-veiled mockery. You know that I don't equate ceremonial law with moral law, and you know that I include all ten commandments in that designation. That doesn't make me a defective. I'm just old-fashioned. I can't understand how folks can rationalize that for 1900 years, Christians had the number of commandments all wrong. Can you? Straight answer, no dodgery, please, if you're going to give one. :)
"22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
When the believer walks according to the qualities of the Spirit he is not guilty of violating any law.
How can you not see that is not what the text is saying at all?
There is no law against exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit, but there is a law against Sabbath-breaking. Since Sabbath-breaking is not one of the fruits of the Spirit. Does the text say resting in Jesus as spiritual Sabbath-keeping is a fruit of the Spirit? No. Then, by your logic, "spiritual Sabbath-keeping" is against God's law. Commence twisting. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GEN2REV

Then we have.....

11 “Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day: {and He explains to Moses that He intends to drive out the Pagan} behold, I am going to drive out the Amorite before you, and the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite.

1st Commandment
12 Watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, or it will become a snare in your midst. 13 But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim

2nd Commandment
14 for you shall not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God 15 otherwise you might make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they would play the harlot with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone might invite you to eat of his sacrifice, 16 and you might take some of his daughters for your sons, and his daughters might play the harlot with their gods and cause your sons also to play the harlot with their gods.

3rd Commandment
17 You shall make for yourself no molten gods.

4th Commandment
18 “You shall observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days you are to eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in the month of Abib you came out of Egypt.

5th Commandment
19 “The first offspring from every womb belongs to Me, and all your male livestock, the first offspring from cattle and sheep. 20 You shall redeem with a lamb the first offspring from a donkey; and if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. You shall redeem all the firstborn of your sons. None shall appear before Me empty-handed.

6th Commandment
21 “You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

7th Commandment
22 You shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

8th Commandment
23 Three times a year all your males are to appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel. 24 For I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your borders, and no man shall covet your land when you go up three times a year to appear before the Lord your God.

9th Commandment
25 “You shall not offer the blood of My sacrifice with leavened bread, nor is the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover to be left over until morning.

10th Commandment
26 “You shall bring the very first of the first fruits of your soil into the house of the Lord your God. “You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Now Read carefully….So then God tells Moses to write the Commandments of the covenant, down on the tablets and refers to them as the Ten Commandments…

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 So he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

Now this is not new information….scholars have been commenting on this for centuries.

The reiteration of the commandments in the NT reduces all of this to absolute Buffalo bagels.

Status
Not open for further replies.