The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the 10 commandments are forever.
They are forever, but not as a covenant. And not forever in regard to the literal fulfillment of the 4th commandment, which is fulfilled one time for all time when we believe in Christ, making it unnecessary as a requirement of law to keep it's literal fulfillment.

You are certainly free to keep a literal sabbath if you want. It's just not necessary for the purpose of being in covenant with God, nor as the sign you are in covenant with God. Just as literal circumcision is no longer necessary for the purpose of being in covenant with God and is not the sign that you are.

Reactions: mailmandan

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 commandments are not a covenant--they are a way of life that we should be living.
Bit of difference between a circumcision and committing adultery.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 commandments are not a covenant
I agree. They USED to be, but they are not now. We are in a NEW Covenant.

-they are a way of life that we should be living.
Most certainly. It's just that the 4th command doesn't HAVE to be literally kept as a matter of lawful obligation anymore like the other nine do. The believer enters into God's requirement for sabbath rest, completely and forever, the moment they believe in Christ.

Bit of difference between a circumcision and committing adultery.
I agree.
But it's also true there is a difference between not working for a day and committing adultery.
In fact, God does not want your sabbath keeping if you are committing adultery (Isaiah 1:13). That shows us the clear delineation between the literal law of sabbath and the rest of the Ten. The sabbath law is not superior, or even equal to the other nine.

Last edited:

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They are forever, but not as a covenant. And not forever in regard to the literal fulfillment of the 4th commandment, which is fulfilled one time for all time when we believe in Christ, making it unnecessary as a requirement of law to keep it's literal fulfillment.

You are certainly free to keep a literal sabbath if you want. It's just not necessary for the purpose of being in covenant with God, nor as the sign you are in covenant with God. Just as literal circumcision is no longer necessary for the purpose of being in covenant with God and is not the sign that you are.
Christians are in the new covenant Christ's blood sealed for all eternity with his spilled blood on the cross, and that trailed the journey to Calvary hill behind him as he walked to his destiny.

And prior to that Jesus reiterated the 9 commands from God. Because they were part and parcel in his ministry. Every word.
He need not reiterate the sabbath command because Jesus knew that they knew the Sabbath was made by God for them. And it encompassed the entirety of the other 9. Its gift from God to us being God's love and promise to us. And our honoring that time spent honors our life and gratitude for him.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it encompassed the entirety of the other 9.
In it's spiritual sense, yes, I agree.
The rest we enter into in this New Covenant is rest from the slavery and taskmaster of our flesh that God has provided through the sacrifice of Christ established and ordained from the foundation of the world.

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The rest we enter into in this New Covenant is rest from the slavery and taskmaster of our flesh that God has provided through the sacrifice of Christ established and ordained from the foundation of the world.
"Slavery and taskmaster of our flesh?"

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sermon on the mount reveals that it isn’t just the things we do outwardly that are important, but what is reflected in our attitudes. The fact that you conclude that people have not responded because you consider it evidence of a depraved forum is a bit weird. When a person questions lack of responses it’s sometimes because they feel so important that they consider others should obviously respond to what’s been said……..
It kind of reveals more about the poster than those who haven’t responded !!
Yes, just speaking my mind as a member of the forum ( not as a moderator )
Rita
Thanks, Rita. I'm very familiar with Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. I'm not familiar with any verse(s) that state anything about our attitude, one way or another. That's why I asked if you had a specific verse that you'd like to share and discuss. Otherwise it's just you here giving your opinion. See?

As far as the judgmental comments, as a staff member here, you should be well aware that many people do things like 'bump' threads to keep them at the top of the rotation in the New Posts category, etc. My comment about the lack of response was partially for that reason to get people to respond so the discussion of the OP topic could begin being discussed. (which worked, I might add) I also made that comment based on my observations of this forum for the duration of time I have been here. It is my observation that topics like this are not popular here, or in any modern churches either, and they often do not garner much response due to that FACT.

On a final note, you made it clear you had some personal issue with me in another thread which did not align rationally with the events there based on the facts of the matter. I left that thread for that reason and you brought your 'differences' into this thread from that one.

Nothing in this thread from me reflects any attitudinal irregularities that make any sense for you to be commenting about my attitude here. I hope you are satisfied with calling me out publicly in the other thread, and also here, for accusations that were completely ridiculous, about which others have voiced their opinion in that regard as well.

I have moved on. I hope that you can too.
Rita said:
I do believe that the sermon of the mount and the Ten Commandments go hand in hand , they both reveal that we can be way off base with regards to believing that we never have planks to remove from our own eyes while looking at the specks that we see in the eyes of others xx

Couldn't agree more.

Have a great day.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Cool beans! Can you please provide the chapter and verse where it says this? It is just so surprising that God put a ceremonial law into the 10 !!!!And not only that, it would have been the ONLY ceremonial law written in stone by His finger!!!!! The other ceremonial laws were written down by Moses.

Ex 31:18"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God."

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember from a sermon from a number of years ago someone was preaching on the 10 commandments being summed up by Jesus's 2 commandments in the NT, Love the Lord and love thy neighbour, that all these 10 commandments are related to love the Lord and love thy neighbour.
Yes, they're absolutely related.

The first 4 Commandments define how to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

The last 6 define how to love thy neighbor as thyself via the golden rule.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"The works of His hands are verity and judgment; all His Commandments are sure.

Today, and tomorrow and yesterday, thousands of people who tried to keep the commandments, and who were water baptized, died and went to hell.

Why?

Because Jesus said to them.......>"Depart from me.....i never knew you".

Yes, He never knew all those commandment keepers, and all those who were water baptized, at least once or twice.
Why does He not know them?
Because Jesus said........"you must be born again"......and they were not.

But, they could rant mindlessly about commandments and water baptism, all day everyday......all the time....like Robot parrots who can only say 2 sentences.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for no one responding. Maybe people just get sick of the same old arguments, Sick of people who water down the law and do not see the law for what it is.
This has been stated multiple times now and it is a moot point.

Threads that have been done before is what these forums are all about. It's what goes on here. If somebody is so sick of seeing the same threads, they don't have to click on them. Very simple solution.

Yet, it is not a shortcoming of mine, personally, that this is how things operate. A topic is talked to death for 10,000 replies and finally it is closed or dies a death. Then a different topic runs its course, and another and another. Then, guess what? A topic that has already been discussed ad nauseum comes up again. That's how it works. There aren't that many highly controversial topics in Christianity.

I could likely sum them up on one hand.

Trinity
10 Commandments
Pre Trib
OSAS
Sabbath

That about does it for the main cases that circulate the threads. Deal with it and stop implying it's my fault.

Es
pecially those of you who are long-time members, or staff, here. You all know better.

As far as watering anything Biblical down, that's a hard case to make against a member, like myself, that uses scripture to bolster my points religiously.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 commandments were only given to the Jews, (Deuteronomy 5:2-3) therefore non-Jews/Gentiles were excluded from that "covenants of promise" (Ephesians 2:12). The Jews having their own law given them and not the Gentiles created a "middle wall of partition" that separated Jews from Gentiles (Ephesians 2:14). Yet Christ broke down that middle wall of partition. Christ took away ALL the OT law including the 10 commandments thereby making Jew and Gentile "both one" under His NT...."that he might reconcile both unto God in one body (church)" (Ephesians 2:16). Therefore NONE of the OT law is active or in effect today including the 10 commandments. Lying, stealing, adultery. murder, etc are sinful for us today NOT because the 10 commandments says they are wrong but because Christ's NT says they are wrong....Christians follow Christ, not Moses. The OT condemned the overt, physical act of adultery whereas Christ's NT also condemns the lusting in the heart. Christians follow the NT laws not the OT laws and that's why Christians met on the first day of the week and not the 7th day/Sabbath (Acts 20:7).
This entire post is neutralized by the OP.

Read it again.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All except the sabbath Gen, Christians are not obligated to observe the sabbath.
You'll have to use scripture to make that case, Rob, and it will have to be scripture that contradicts the verses provided in the OP.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law is impossible to keep. If you try, you’re under the curse because you are working for your salvation. I think we just need to love our God and our fellow man and everything will fall into place.
But God wouldn't give us Commandments that were impossible for us to keep, Mantis.

That's why He gives us His Spirit to assist us, The Helper. His Advocate.

I have asked this question before, and just like other topics that nobody likes to address, most will never respond.

The question is:
Which Commandments are impossible for man to keep?

Let's discuss.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert Gwin said:
All except the sabbath Gen, Christians are not obligated to observe the sabbath
It is a part of the Ten. God did not put a ceremonial law into the 10. You do what you want.
I have heard this before and it doesn't make any logical (or Biblical) sense that 9 of the original Commandments would survive from the Old Covenant into the New, ... but one would not?

There's no case for that laid out anywhere in scripture.

Especially when it's one of the Commandments concerning how to love, reverence and remember God and all His amazing works. That would make no sense at all.

Reactions: Cassandra

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Circumcision is not one of the 10 Commandments and the verses listed in the OP seem to contradict your assessment that the 4th Commandment is negated now.

Reactions: Cassandra

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians are in the new covenant Christ's blood sealed for all eternity with his spilled blood on the cross, and that trailed the journey to Calvary hill behind him as he walked to his destiny.

And prior to that Jesus reiterated the 9 commands from God. Because they were part and parcel in his ministry. Every word.
He need not reiterate the sabbath command because Jesus knew that they knew the Sabbath was made by God for them. And it encompassed the entirety of the other 9. Its gift from God to us being God's love and promise to us. And our honoring that time spent honors our life and gratitude for him.
And the Sabbath is mentioned 59 times in the NT, contrary to what many claim.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today, and tomorrow and yesterday, thousands of people who tried to keep the commandments, and who were water baptized, died and went to hell.

Why?

Because Jesus said to them.......>"Depart from me.....i never knew you".

Yes, He never knew all those commandment keepers, and all those who were water baptized, at least once or twice.
Why does He not know them?
Because Jesus said........"you must be born again"......and they were not.

But, they could rant mindlessly about commandments and water baptism, all day everyday......all the time....like Robot parrots who can only say 2 sentences.
Mindlessly, huh? How's your foot taste?

Always making claims, every time I see a post of yours, that have zero scripture to back them, thrust forth with nothing but opinion and attitude.

Paul neither lacked being water baptized (by Ananias), nor did he go to hell.

Yet Paul was a keeper of the Law.

"...that ... all may know ... concerning thee, ... that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law."

Acts 21:24

You really should study up before busting on the scene everywhere, like a bull in a china shop, making totally unfounded claims like you're addressing idiots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.