The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Either you believe that verses 12 & 13 of Romans 7 support your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3 or you don't. It's really quite simple. :)
Verses 12 & 13 of Romans 7 do not contradict my interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3. It is quite simple.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you claim to obey all of God’s commandments flawlessly, 100% of the time? Do you promote sinless perfection? (1 John 1:8-10)
In light of John 8:11 and 1 John 2:1, do you believe it really matters what any one person's claim of their record of sin might be?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In light of John 8:11 and 1 John 2:1, do you believe it really matters what any one person's claim of their record of sin might be?
Do you use 1 John 2:1 to support sinless perfection? Better back up to 1 John 1:8-10. I've seen others abuse and misuse the words of Jesus "go and sin no more" in John 8:11 to teach "sinless perfection," yet Jesus was telling the woman to go and leave her life of sin, namely, she had been practicing adultery. Also, Jesus cannot compromise his perfect holy standard, so of course He is not going to say, “go and just sin a little bit.”

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Seventh Day Adventist demonstrates his faith in the word of God, and in His divine authority, by acting on that faith by observing the Sabbath.
And I don't have to because God's requirement for rest has already been satisfied in me when I believed in Christ and entered into his rest. It is not necessary to keep the shadow observance when one has satisfied the requirements of that which cast that shadow.

Reactions: mailmandan

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the law for the new creature becomes a set of promises if you have faith... You shall not steal... You shall not commit adultery... You shall not covet etc etc. If you have faith, those same ten commandments that condemn the sinner, becomes the creating word of power in the new life. Just as Jesus spoke the world into existence at creation, let there be light etc...

WORD!

I looked for the verse and couldn’t find it that says…in fact, it is only when we have faith that we actually do keep His commands.

Reactions: Brakelite

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How is it possible for someone to impose something on another as a condition of salvation? I hear this all the time and it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Some Sabbath day worshippers believe the others are not saved because they break a commandment every week.
You didn't know this?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verses 12 & 13 of Romans 7 do not contradict my interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3. It is quite simple.
2 Corinthians 3:7 KJV: But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Romans 7:12 KJV: Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Romans 7:13 KJV: Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Can you not see that verses 12 & 13 of Romans 7 suggest that Paul's use of the word "death" both in Romans 7 and 2 Corinthians 3 might have some figurative meaning that that precludes the notion that the ten commandments are actually bad and deadly? Or do you believe that Paul meant that he physically died in Romans 7:9?
Do you use 1 John 2:1 to support sinless perfection?
What I believe John meant was that he wrote to them to encourage them not to sin.
Better back up to 1 John 1:8-10.
So is it wrong then to abstain fully from sin and just not boast about it? Does the fact that I'm not sinless take that option off the table for everyone else?
I've seen others abuse and misuse the words of Jesus "go and sin no more" in John 8:11 to teach "sinless perfection," yet Jesus was telling the woman to go and leave her life of sin,
Well you're at perfect liberty to publish your own translation of the Bible if you like. I don't see any need to read something He didn't say into what He actually said. There's no indication within the text itself that He's using ambiguous or cryptic language. No abuse or misuse is necessary to take a simple text as it plainly reads.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Sabbath day worshippers believe the others are not saved because they break a commandment every week.
You didn't know this?
Sure, but I don't concern myself with what others think of my standing with God. We're all big boys and girls here, as far as I know. Do a forum search for the words "not saved" and do the math. Sabbath-keepers certainly don't corner the market on judgmentalism and condemnation--especially not around these parts. Not by a long shot. There is one fella who's quite a loose cannon, but it doesn't take long to recognize that he's got a few screws loose (just sayin'). :)

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The works of His hands are verity and judgment; all His Commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in Truth and uprightness."
Psalms 111:7-8

Who are the 10 Commandments written to?
They are written to all God's Children.

Who are God's Children? Let's see.

God is a spirit. Those who worship Him (His Children) must worship Him in spirit and in Truth.
John 4:24

Spiritual Israel are God's Children; NOT any physical/fleshly race - for "...they which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God:.."
Romans 9:8

Is God's Law a physical Law or a Spiritual Law?
"For we know that the Law is spiritual:..."
Romans 7:14

"Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, (those who do them and keep them may go to heaven.)...Ye shall not add unto (them), neither shall ye diminish (them)..., that ye might keep the Commandments of the Lord your God ..."
Deuteronomy 4:1-2

NOTE: this chapter speaks nothing of the Mosaic/Ceremonial laws. It is ONLY referring to the 10 Commandments which ARE God's Law.

"And He declared unto you ... Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on tables of stone."
Deuteronomy 4:13

And what if His Children stop obeying His Commandments?

"... the Lord shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen,..."
Deuteronomy 4:27

We are living this reality today. Scattered far and wide; few and far between among the nations.

"But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find Him, if thou seek Him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
(This next verse is PROOF POSITIVE that the Commandments are still valid to this very day.)
When thou art in tribulation , and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days (end times), if thou turn to the Lord thy God, and shalt be obedient unto His voice; (For the Lord thy God is a merciful God; ) He will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers (10 Commandments) which He sware unto them."
Deuteronomy 4:29-31

"The works of His hands are verity and judgment; all His Commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in Truth and uprightness."
Psalm 111:7-8

"My covenant will I not break nor alter (forever) the thing that has gone out of My lips."
Psalm 89:34

"For I am the Lord, I change not; ..."
Malachi 3:6

Reactions: Brakelite

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can we be extra sure these Commandments are intended for all mankind?

"Neither with you only do I make this covenant and this oath (the 10 Commandments); but with him that standeth here with us this day before the Lord our God (those outside of the immediate tribes of Israel), and also with him that is not here with us (all men ever to be born) this day:..."
Deuteronomy 29:14-15

"The secret things belong to the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed (the 10 Commandments) belong unto us (all those present at that time and all men ever to be born upon the earth) and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."
Deuteronomy 29:29

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 3:7 KJV: But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Romans 7:12 KJV: Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Romans 7:13 KJV: Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Can you not see that verses 12 & 13 of Romans 7 suggest that Paul's use of the word "death" both in Romans 7 and 2 Corinthians 3 might have some figurative meaning that that precludes the notion that the ten commandments are actually bad and deadly? Or dou believe that Paul meant that he physically died in Romans 7:9?

What I believe John meant was that he wrote to them to encourage them not to sin.

So is it wrong then to abstain fully from sin and just not boast about it? Does the fact that I'm not sinless take that option off the table for everyone else?

Well you're at perfect liberty to publish your own translation of the Bible if you like. I don't see any need to read something He didn't say into what He actually said. There's no indication within the text itself that He's using ambiguous or cryptic language. No abuse or misuse is necessary to take a simple text as it plainly reads.
You are obviously mixed up. Good day sir.

JesusFan1

Jun 19, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can we be extra sure these Commandments are intended for all mankind?

"Neither with you only do I make this covenant and this oath (the 10 Commandments); but with him that standeth here with us this day before the Lord our God (those outside of the immediate tribes of Israel), and also with him that is not here with us (all men ever to be born) this day:..."
Deuteronomy 29:14-15

"The secret things belong to the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed (the 10 Commandments) belong unto us (all those present at that time and all men ever to be born upon the earth) and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."
Deuteronomy 29:30
The Mosaic law was fulfilled and superseded by the New Covenant!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mosaic law was fulfilled and superseded by the New Covenant!

Why doesn't everyone realize this?? The Bible clearly states that the Mosaic law was fulfilled and superseded by the New Covenant! The two covenants can't be in force at the same time. It is impossible to keep the entire Mosaic law, so "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) and need a savior to be reconciled to God through His atoning death.

Reactions: mailmandan
Status
Not open for further replies.