The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics do adhere to idol observance more than any other denomination, do they not?
It depends on what you mean by "idol observance"? Kindo of like you Protestants in these "idols"?
martin-luther-796245_960_720.jpg
Martin Luther

statue-of-john-knox-scottish-protestant-religious-reformer-in-st-giles-ACG2C7.jpg
John Knox
statue-john-calvin-protestant-theologian-reformation-budapest-hungary-july-jean-looks-out-square-which-bears-his-name-123015568.jpg
john calvin
OIP.F5X1N-X57j_Cff396O1vOQHaE8

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you disagree, then you obey 9; 10 minus the Sabbath Commandment. Isn't that still hypocrisy, seeing as how you oppose Commandment Keeping?
The Sabbath is for the Jews. Are you a Jew?

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Reactions: mailmandan

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If lawless people dislike me for telling the truth, that's their problem to deal with, not mine. Jesus called the religious people of His day "vipers" and "children of Satan" because they played the same games with God's laws that modern antinomians do.

If antinomians don't like being told that they lack sense, then they should start accepting and practicing what is taught in the Bible instead of clinging to their lawless theology. Psa. 111:10 says the people who live by God's commandments have wisdom and possess understanding, therefore the opposite is inherently true of people who refuse to live by God's commandments.

I also suggest reading Isa. 1:3 sometime. In this passage, God says an ox had more sense than the ancient Israelites who rejected His commandments. When Jesus discussed the scriptures with the 2 people on the road to Emmaus, He called them ignorant and foolish because they failed to believe what was written in the OT.

What i do is not out of scriptural bounds, nor is it in the interest of being mean. That is biblical theology: anyone who rejects God's commandments or fails to believe the OT is ignorant and foolish. It is the scriptures that condemns antinomians for being who they are, not me.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

It's not like I'm venturing to rebuke you--I wouldn't even call it a gentle reproof. But didn't Paul even say: "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable?" I just want what's best for the cause of Sabbath reform, and you certainly bring much to the table to advance it, but I don't presume to be your conscience for you. I do believe that much of what is seen as gaming and foolishness is often just plain ignorance. Christ said that those who were taunting Him as he was dying actually didn't know what they were doing. Again, I wouldn't appeal to you to violate your conscience in this matter.

Religious liberty is everything to me--I am more and more becoming convinced that it is virtually what the Cross is all about. It's woven into everything we do to relate to one another as Christians. It's at the heart of this business about people knowing that we belong to Christ when we have love one for another. I do understand the need for tough love at times, though. And I am often frustrated by my own failings in effectively pursuing it. The anti-semitism going on over in the Sabbath thread greatly distresses me. I can scarcely believe it's being tolerated.

I once heard a story about when Luther and Zwingli met. They evidently had long conversations about transubstantiation. Luther was for it and Zwingli was against it. He said to Luther, "Don't you know that when John the Baptist said 'Behold the Lamb of God' he didn't mean a four-footed animal? It's a metaphor, just like communion/Lord's Supper." They both agreed that great reforms from the rites of Rome were needed. But when there meeting was ended, Zwingli put forth his hand and Luther wouldn't reach out to grasp it. Zwingli immediately burst into tears. They eventually shook hands with some conditions stipulated by Luther. This stubborn conservativism about matters such as the particulars of ordinances caused a great reversal in the cause of Protestantism in Germany.

I believe Whitefield and Spurgeon went through a similar, but much milder situation over Predestination. But they had the wisdom to agree forthwith that they must present a united front for the furtherance of the Gospel to the ultimate purpose of the salvation of souls for whom Christ died. Again, this is pertaining to essentials, a subject about which I know you understandably have strongly felt reservations. Please pardon my rambling on so. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on what you mean by "idol observance"? Kindo of like you Protestants in these "idols"?
martin-luther-796245_960_720.jpg
Martin Luther

statue-of-john-knox-scottish-protestant-religious-reformer-in-st-giles-ACG2C7.jpg
John Knox
statue-john-calvin-protestant-theologian-reformation-budapest-hungary-july-jean-looks-out-square-which-bears-his-name-123015568.jpg
john calvin
OIP.F5X1N-X57j_Cff396O1vOQHaE8
Mary... No one reverences these graven images, bows down to them, prays to them, etc.

And if they did, would two wrongs make a right?

Reactions: GEN2REV

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So let no one warn you. We should perhaps wait until it's too late for a warning. Then Who will judge us?
I don't understand what that has to do with my valid point and my question.....:cool:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary... No one reverences these graven images, bows down to them, prays to them, etc.

And if they did, would two wrongs make a right?
And any Catholic that prays or reveres an image is violating Scripture and Church doctrine so the point is mute. You have your "images" we have ours. Ours are (mostly) of Mary, the mother of God, and yours are of your men. ;)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand what that has to do with my valid point and my question.....:cool:

OK :cool:

And any Catholic that prays or reveres an image is violating Scripture and Church doctrine so the point is mute. You have your "images" we have ours. Ours are (mostly) of Mary, the mother of God, and yours are of your men. ;)

The point is not moot. We have no "images" or images. We have no "men" or men. What we have is the Bible. But I doubt you'll ever entertain these ideas. So, do two wrongs make a right or not? :D

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath is for the Jews. Are you a Jew?

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
No, you don't have to be a Jew to obey God's Commandments. That has been well established in this thread.

You totally dodged my question, though.

If you obey 9 of the 10 Commandments, forsaking the Sabbath Commandment, isn't that still hypocrisy, seeing as how you oppose Commandment Keeping?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, you don't have to be a Jew to obey God's Commandments. That has been well established in this thread.

You totally dodged my question, though.

If you obey 9 of the 10 Commandments, forsaking the Sabbath Commandment, isn't that still hypocrisy, seeing as how you oppose Commandment Keeping?
Isn't the commandment to keep the Lord's day Holy?

Reactions: Marymog

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, you will find the nine laws exist throughout all the ancient world. I'm not sure if they had their holy days based on the moon and stars, they probably did, they measured time by the moon, and they all had their gods, and they all made sacrifices to them. Let's face it, we as Christians have a new High Priest, who ended all that. O' and they are known as the Mosaic laws, a human who ordered the breaking of the 6th law thousands of times, and attributed it to god. My God, the true God is unchanging.

The sad thing is that we are in the seventh day now and it is not 24 hours long. You have everything wrong.

God rested on the seventh day and it hasn't ended. When will the next seventh day be?

No answer from you. Let me tell you something, Jewish laws and customs are for Jews and those whose religions are based on the Old Testament. Christianity is New Testament. You follow The Old Testament.
In view of all these remarks, why would you ask if the commandment requires Sunday-keeping if you believe it is obsolete Jewish law, anyway?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In view of all these remarks, why would you ask if the commandment requires Sunday-keeping if you believe it is obsolete Jewish law, anyway?
What Jesus accomplished on the cross was a game-changer.
JESUS
He was the final sacrifice for sin. (Hebrews 9:24-26; Hebrews 10:11-12)
He was the propitiation that satisfied the wrath of God. (Romans 3:25; 1 John 4:10)
He paid the redemption price to purchase guilty sinners. (Romans 3:23-24)
He paid the penalty for our sins so that we shall be redeemed. (Matthew 20:28; 1 Timothy 2:5-6)
He made reconciliation between God and man. (Hebrews 2:17; Romans 5:10)
He justified guilty sinners, satisfying God’s holy justice. (Isaiah 53:11; Acts 13:38-39; Romans 3:23-24)
He sanctified those people, setting them apart as holy. (Hebrews 10:10; Hebrews 2:11)
He rose on the first day of the week, not the Sabbath: Mk 16:9

All 6 appearances of Jesus happen on two Sundays, none on Sabbath. Mk 16:9; Mt 28:5-9; Lk 24:34; Lk 24:13-15; Lk 24:33,36+Jn 20:19; Jn 20:26

Christians assembled three times on Sunday after the resurrection and before the ascension, never on the Sabbath. Jn 20:19 Jn 20:26 Acts 2:1

The only time Christians assembled together was on a Sunday in Acts 20:7, never does it say the disciples assembled on the Sabbath.

The only day ever mentioned when Christians broke bread was on Sunday: Acts 20:7

Christians are commanded every Sunday to give into a common treasury of the church: 1 Cor 16:1-2

Jesus was declared the Son of God on Sunday: Rom 1:4

Ps 2:7 “Today I have begotten thee” was fulfilled on Sunday when he rose: Acts 13:33

The sign that Jesus was glorified was given on Sunday: Jn 7:39+Acts 2:1,32

The church officially began on Pentecost Sunday: Acts 2:1

Jesus was crowned king on a Sunday: Acts 2:33-36

The disciple's reception of the promise of the Father on Sunday: Acts 1:4-5; 2:1-4

The Holy Spirit first fell upon the apostles on a Sunday: Acts 2:1-4

Salvation first preached by Peter on Sunday: Mt 16:19; Acts 2:1,38,40-41

The Keys to the Kingdom of God were first used on Sunday: Mt 16:19

The great “Triumphal entry” (also called “Palm Sunday”) happened on the first day: Luke 13:32

The time between the Lord’s resurrection (sheaf waving day) and Pentecost was Sunday to Sunday counting 50 days. The starting and stopping time was on the 1st day.

The first time Jesus worshipped after the resurrection was on the first day, by Thomas (Jn. 20:26).

The first time we could be born again to a living hope was on a Sunday: 1 Pet. 1:3

The first time Jesus had communion, after his resurrection with His disciples, was on a Sunday: (Lk. 24:1, 13, 28-35)

Pentecost was a Sunday – Sunday duration of 50 days. The starting point and stopping point of counting the 50 days was a Sunday – Sunday period!

While the Sabbath was significant to the Jews, there is no New Testament significance of the Sabbath in connection with anything of Christ, Christianity, the church or heaven!

A. Before Pentecost Christians met on Sunday:

1. The day Jesus was raised: Jn 20:19

2. The very next Sunday: Jn 20:26

3. On the day of Pentecost: Acts 2:1

B. After Pentecost Christians met on Sunday:

1. To partake of the Lord’s supper or communion: Acts 20:7

2. To give money every Sunday: 1 Cor 16:1,2

C. Biblical significance of Sunday as the Lord’s day:

1. Jesus raised from the dead on Sunday: Mk 16:9; Lk 24:1,13,21

2. Jesus was declared the Son of God on Sunday: Rom 1:4

3. Ps 2:7 “Today I have begotten thee” was fulfilled on Sunday when he rose: Acts 13:33

4. Jesus appeared 6 different times on at least 2 different Sundays:

a. Resurrection Sunday:
Mk 16:9 Mary
Mt 28:5-9 Other women
Lk 24:34 Peter (by way of inference)
Lk 24:13-15 Two on Emmaus road
Lk 24:33,36+Jn 20:19 The apostles

b. One Sunday later: Jn 20:26 The apostles

5. The sign of Christ's glorification was on Sunday: Jn 7:39+Acts 2:1,32

6. The church officially began on Pentecost Sunday: Acts 2:1
a. Signified by the reception of the promise of the Father: Acts 1:4-5; 2:1-4
b. Salvation first preached by Peter on Sunday: Mt 16:19; Acts 2:1,38,40-41

7. The 1st day is specifically pointed out in scripture:
a. There is no example of Christians assembling on the Sabbath (7th)
b. No other day is ever specifically mentioned in NT: i.e. “4th day”

8. “Lord’s” is used only 2X in NT: “Lord’s day” & “Lord’s supper” 1 Cor 11:20
a. It makes sense to partake of the Lord’s supper on the Lord’s day.
b. We know the Lord’s supper was partaken of on Sunday.

9. The Holy Spirit first fell upon the disciples on a Sunday: Acts 2:1-4

The Pentecost of Acts 2:1 fell on a Sunday.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, actually. It isn't.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.”
Exodus 20:8

But if it were referring to the Sunday, as you are implying, are you now claiming to keep all 10 Commandments?

Are you now a Commandment Keeper?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, actually. It isn't.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.”
Exodus 20:8

But if it were referring to the Sunday, as you are implying, are you now claiming to keep all 10 Commandments?

Are you now a Commandment Keeper?
That is Judaism. I AM A CHRISTIAN and this is a Christian forum.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only day ever mentioned when Christians broke bread was on Sunday: Acts 20:7
Wrong, as usual. They broke bread DAILY because breaking bread means having a common (daily/usual) meal - NOT a Communion ceremony.

"And they, continuing daily with one accord ... breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart."
Acts 2:46

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is Judaism. I AM A CHRISTIAN and this is a Christian forum.
Oh well it must really burn your hide that we're even discussing it here then. Maybe you can stir up the mods to silence this blasphemous thread. Good luck.

The Holy Bible is a Christian book. The verse you are offended with is in the Holy Bible. The 10 Commandments were obeyed, in their entirety, by Jesus Christ John 15:10 and nothing that Jesus did was blasphemous or excluded from what we should be doing.

We are to live as Jesus lived.
1 John 2:6

And, as I've already proven, you obey NINE of the 10 Commandments, Cooper. So are you now a Jew, or a Hypocrite, for obeying Commandments that originate in the Old Testament?

Kinda hard to flesh out that case, isn't it?

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh well it must really burn your hide that we're even discussing it here then. Maybe you can stir up the mods to silence this blasphemous thread. Good luck.

The Holy Bible is a Christian book. The verse you are offended with is in the Holy Bible. The 10 Commandments were obeyed, in entirety, by Jesus Christ and nothing that Jesus did was blasphemous or excluded from what we should be doing.

We are to live as Jesus lived.
1 John 2:6

And, as I've already proven, you obey NINE of the 10 Commandments, Cooper. So are you now a Jew or a Hypocrite for obeying Commandments that originate in the Old Testament?

Kinda hard to flesh out that case, isn't it?
The Bible, written by Jews for Jews, needs to be followed by Jews down the ages and into God's new and present dispensation, until He brings with Him a still newer dispensation when he returns again.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible, written by Jews for Jews, needs to be followed by Jews down the ages and into God's new and present dispensation.
The Bible was written by God ... FOR ... all those who would obey His Commandments and follow His (Jesus') Ways.

Goodness gracious!

The doctrine of most of you naysayers is so foul and unholy it's hard to believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.