The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, no straw man here, friend. Sabbath keeping is pushed as the mark of the genuinely saved person. That means if you ain't keeping it, you ain't saved!
It’s no secret this is what SDA’s push, which explains their obsession with the sabbath day. I was recently in a discussion with a SDA on a different Christian forum who made this statement below:

“Regarding Hebrews 4 it very much states you must keep the Sabbath to receive the spiritual rest in Christ.”

That is not what Hebrews 4 teaches. Our ‘sabbatismos’ rest in Christ is in contrast with keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

It’s no surprise that SDA’s would believe that sabbath keeping is necessary for salvation. Their prophetess Ellen G White taught this:

“But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth.” {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4}

Seventh day Adventists also teach that near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Mark of the Beast

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping (with all it's rules and regulations) was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when SDA’s set out to keep the Sabbath, are they truly "keeping the Sabbath" as it was required according to the Old Testament scriptures under the old covenant? This would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If Sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). No kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel (Exodus 35:1). If the seventh day Sabbath is still in affect today, then why don't SDA’s seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it? If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the Sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church? What about the government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the old covenant, no Sabbatarian under the new covenant can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you don't have to be a Jew to obey God's Commandments. That has been well established in this thread.
Lol....well established "on this thread" by you and your ilk, which make up less than 1% of Christianity, but NOT well established by 99.9% of Christians who observed The Lords Day; Sunday!

You are right about one thing...it has been well established on this thread that you and your Sabbatarian friends are wrong.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you obey 9 of the 10 Commandments, forsaking the Sabbath Commandment, isn't that still hypocrisy, seeing as how you oppose Commandment Keeping?
I didn't answer your question because it makes no sense and it is a logical fallacy. You ask me if I obey 9 of the 10 commandments and then you say that I "oppose Commandment Keeping"! If I oppose commandment keeping how is it that I obey 9 of the 10? That makes no sense...Perhaps you could rephrase the question so that it makes sense?

I think you are accusing me and 99.9% of Christianity of not obeying 1 of the 10 commandments and we are hypocrites for doing so. Is it possible that men have tickled YOUR ears? Do you really believe that Satan has won over (deceived) 99.9% of Christianity on only you and your ilk got it right?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK :cool:

The point is not moot. We have no "images" or images. We have no "men" or men. What we have is the Bible. But I doubt you'll ever entertain these ideas. So, do two wrongs make a right or not? :D
Good morning B5,

You and your Protestant brothers have no images??????????? Scroll up to my previous post and look at the statues and images I provided that your Protestant men have made in adoration of your men. All those men are just like you. They all said they had the bible...just like you say... and it is from the bible where they got their truth....just like you say....but all their truths are different truths....weird!!! You all read the same book but come up with different truths. I said weird when I should have said how sad :( You all think you right and the other is wrong...that is unless they agree with YOU and then they are right....And the Catholic Church is definatly wrong.....that is unless you agree with The Church then it is right....Sad and Weird!

Your question, do two wrongs make a right, is rhetorical.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the Sabbath of the LORD thy God, given by the Lord of the Sabbath.
Jesus said he is the Lord of the Sabbath. In Scripture and historical Christian writings from the time it is made clear that converted Jews no longer have to observe the Jewish Sabbath and that they began to observe The Lords Day; Sunday. Soooooo I still can't figure out why you listen to those men from the mid 1800's who started the Christian Sabbath theory and threw away 1,800 years of The Lords Day; Sunday? Were you raised SDA and that is why you adhere to it? Or did you come to it on your own as an adult?

Curious Mary

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....well established "on this thread" by you and your ilk, which make up less than 1% of Christianity, but NOT well established by 99.9% of Christians who observed The Lords Day; Sunday!
Good point. And a compliment to boot.

It's not trendy, or popular, to be right with God in the devil's world.

Goes to show who travels which road.

"... wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: ... (very narrow) is the gate, and (difficult) is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
Matthew 7:13-14

Only the truly blind brag about being one with the masses.

God knows who His sheep are.

They are few and far between.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point. And a compliment to boot.

It's not trendy, or popular, to be right with God in the devil's world.

Goes to show who travels which road.

"... wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: ... (very narrow) is the gate, and (difficult) is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

Only the truly blind brag about being one with the masses.

God knows who His sheep are.

They are few and far between.
Hmmm.....sooooo you and your fellow Sabbatarians are the only ones who will fit thru the gate? Sounds like Satan has already won since you called it "the devils world"! What your men have taught you is that 99.9% of current Christians are wrong. All Christians before your denomination started were wrong and the Sabbath theory that started 200 years ago is right. Fascinating theory....

I wonder why the 2nd coming hasn't happened yet if this is.....as you said...the devils world?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't answer your question because it makes no sense and it is a logical fallacy. You ask me if I obey 9 of the 10 commandments and then you say that I "oppose Commandment Keeping"! If I oppose commandment keeping how is it that I obey 9 of the 10? That makes no sense...Perhaps you could rephrase the question so that it makes sense?
It is the Truth of the matter.

And the whole point is that it makes zero sense.

Nice attempt at deflecting. All you accomplished was confirming and emphasizing my point.

I think you are accusing me and 99.9% of Christianity of not obeying 1 of the 10 commandments and we are hypocrites for doing so.
You are hypocrites for claiming we are not to obey any of the 10 Commandments anymore, and ridiculing and condemning any and all who do - while you continue to obey 8 or 9 of the 10 Commandments yourselves.
Do you really believe that Satan has won over (deceived) 99.9% of Christianity ... ?
I wouldn't place it at that exact percentage, but yes. Apparently so.

Matthew 7:22-23
Matthew 25:41
Matthew 25:46

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the Truth of the matter.

And the whole point is that it makes zero sense.

Nice attempt at deflecting. All you accomplished was confirming and emphasizing my point.

You are hypocrites for claiming we are not to obey any of the 10 Commandments anymore, and ridiculing and condemning any and all who do - while you continue to obey 8 or 9 of the 10 Commandments yourselves.
I wouldn't place it at that exact percentage, but yes. Apparently so.

Matthew 7:22-23
Matthew 25:41
Matthew 25:46
You crack me up....you do realize that you and your ilk could be the fulfillment of those passages? Especially since what you have been taught is a new theory that came from men and women of the 1800's who couldn't even agree with each other?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm.....sooooo you and your fellow Sabbatarians are the only ones who will fit thru the gate? Sounds like Satan has already won since you called it "the devils world"! What your men have taught you is that 99.9% of current Christians are wrong. All Christians before your denomination started were wrong and the Sabbath theory that started 200 years ago is right. Fascinating theory....
Your ongoing false accusation that this thread, and all in agreement with it, are Seventh Day Adventists is growing very tired.

I've cleared that up repeatedly, but you are purposely ignoring it in an attempt to minimize the thrust of this thread. You are failing miserably.

I am not SDA so the ridiculing, and belittling, of a single denomination is completely pointless. I am a Bible-believing Christian and that's all it takes to arrive at all of the conclusions presented by myself and others in this thread pertaining to the 10 Commandments; of which the Sabbath happens to be a part of.

SDA's will not be the only denomination saved; there will be many from all denominations who are not saved. But those who faithfully obey God, and His Commandments, and pursue Truth and Righteousness, following Jesus Christ and all His ways will be justified by God at His discretion.

I can tell you that those who practice disobeying God though, and all who teach it, will find their place elsewhere when the time of Judgment comes.

Plain and simple; and fully backed by scripture in its entirety.
I wonder why the 2nd coming hasn't happened yet if this is.....as you said...the devils world?
Because your Millennium theory, borne from just 7 consecutive verses in Revelation, is absolute nonsense. That's why.

And Jesus Himself, as well as John, confirm that this current physical realm belongs to the enemy.

John 14:30
1 John 5:19

Not to fear, though. Jesus destroys him upon His return.

Isaiah 13:9-11
1 Corinthians 15:23-26

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You crack me up....you do realize that you and your ilk could be the fulfillment of those passages? Especially since what you have been taught is a new theory that came from men and women of the 1800's who couldn't even agree with each other?
You're really not very good at this, are you?

How long have you been here? No matter, your skill at maintaining a line of reasoning in discussion is pitiful.

You, yourself, pointed out that the vast majority of Christendom agrees with your faulty positions, but you turn around and claim that those few, who believe as I do, must be the ones who fulfill the prophetic verses about the many claiming Lord, Lord and traveling the wide (very populated) road. :confused:

You're really reaching and finding nothing of any significance to save your sinking position in this debate.

Maybe you should concede and just embrace the Truth.

Just a thought.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your ongoing false accusation that this thread, and all in agreement with it, are Seventh Day Adventists is growing very tired.

I've cleared that up repeatedly, but you are purposely ignoring it in an attempt to minimize the thrust of this thread. You are failing miserably.

I am not SDA so the ridiculing, and belittling, of a single denomination is completely pointless. I am a Bible-believing Christian and that's all it takes to arrive at all of the conclusions presented by myself and others in this thread pertaining to the 10 Commandments; of which the Sabbath happens to be a part of.

SDA's will not be the only denomination saved; there will be many from all denominations who are not saved. But those who faithfully obey God, and His Commandments, and pursue Truth and Righteousness, following Jesus Christ and all His ways will be justified by God at His discretion.

I can tell you that those who practice disobeying God though, and all who teach it, will find their place elsewhere when the time of Judgment comes.

Plain and simple; and fully backed by scripture in its entirety.
Because your Millennium theory, borne from just 7 consecutive verses in Revelation, is absolute nonsense. That's why.

And Jesus Himself, as well as John, confirm that this current physical realm belongs to the enemy.

John 14:30
1 John 5:19

Not to fear, though. Jesus destroys him upon His return.

Isaiah 13:9-11
1 Corinthians 15:23-26
Hmmmm.....So you don't want to be tied to the SDA denomination. Ok...but the point is still the same....you are a Sabbatarian, just like them, and that is the gist of our discussion; Sabbatarianism.

You want me to recognize you as being "a Bible-believing Christian" who has come to the conclusion, on your own, that all Christians that don't keep the Sabbath are not obeying 1 of the 10 commandments. Got it....

Soooo why are you not an SDA? After all, they teach what you believe concerning the Sabbath?

Also, how or why is YOUR "fully backed by Scripture in it's entirety" interpretation from Scripture about the Sabbath accurate and a majority of Christian theologians since the NT times NOT "fully backed by scripture in its entirety"? They don't understand Scripture but YOU, a bible believing Christian, DO understand Scripture? Help me out here....

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're really not very good at this, are you?

How long have you been here? No matter, your skill at maintaining a line of reasoning in discussion is pitiful.

You, yourself, pointed out that the vast majority of Christendom agrees with your faulty positions, but you turn around and claim that those few, who believe as I do, must be the ones who fulfill the prophetic verses about the many claiming Lord, Lord and traveling the wide (very populated) road. :confused:

You're really reaching and finding nothing of any significance to save your sinking position in this debate.

Maybe you should concede and just embrace the Truth.

Just a thought.
Not sure why you have to be so nasty and belittling, but it does expose who you really are. Have i been that way to you?

It is not MY "faulty position"....it is what Christianity has taught for 2022 years. Your position (and yes I can say YOUR position since you read/interpret Scripture on your own) became popular around 200 years ago and separated from Christianity. Your ears have been tickled...by YOU.

I will concede.....you have fulfilled 2 Peter 3:16

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning B5,
HI, MARY!!! :):):)
You and your Protestant brothers have no images??????????? Scroll up to my previous post and look at the statues and images I provided that your Protestant men have made in adoration of your men. All those men are just like you. They all said they had the bible...just like you say... and it is from the bible where they got their truth....just like you say....but all their truths are different truths....weird!!! You all read the same book but come up with different truths. I said weird when I should have said how sad :( You all think you right and the other is wrong...that is unless they agree with YOU and then they are right....And the Catholic Church is definatly wrong.....that is unless you agree with The Church then it is right....Sad and Weird!
I'd like to think there's something to be said for simply being able to choose to worship God according to the dictates of my own conscience, which I've decided is what I perceive the Bible to say. I won't stand for some ecclesiastical bureaucrat telling me how I must relate to my maker. That's all. I know that makes me a heretic to the universal church.

It's very, very unfortunate that folks don't agree on what God wants. But I don't think I had any hand in that mess. Protestants aren't really Protestants anymore for the most part so what difference does it make? I have no loyalty to any church other than my own. That really bothers a lot of people, but what can I say? I'm not going to lie about it. I am a Protestant mostly in that I'm in favor of (or pro) testing doctrine against the Bible.
Your question, do two wrongs make a right, is rhetorical.
Okay, then, I guess you're not going to entertain that idea, either. No worries.
Jesus said he is the Lord of the Sabbath. In Scripture and historical Christian writings from the time it is made clear that converted Jews no longer have to observe the Jewish Sabbath and that they began to observe The Lords Day; Sunday. Soooooo I still can't figure out why you listen to those men from the mid 1800's who started the Christian Sabbath theory and threw away 1,800 years of The Lords Day; Sunday?
I simply don't believe The LORD has been as careful to preserve the veracity of historical Christian writings as He has His Holy Word. And there's no theoretical Sabbath of the 1800s. Only the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. The Bible is sufficient to prove that.
SABBATH-BANNER.png

Were you raised SDA and that is why you adhere to it?
All I knew about Seventh-day Adventists growing up is what my grandmother told me:

"They go to church on Saturday and they don't believe in Santa Claus." - lol

Oh, and their churches had funny-looking signs out front with 3 angels blowing trumpets. I spotted that on my own. :cool:
Or did you come to it on your own as an adult?
I became a Seventh-day Adventist in the vigor and soundness of mind of my youthful manhood, because I was searching for a place to start the religious education of my pre-school children and I found the Seventh-day Adventists to have the Theology that seemed the most cohesive to me. I had been taught by Southern Baptists as a child that the ten commandments were the moral code for Christians and I found out later that that was only 9/10 true for them.

You see, I couldn't get straight answers to my questions from anyone but the Adventists, and I didn't have forever to get settled somewhere (my kids wouldn't stop growing!). And, wouldn't you just know it, the more I dug into what Adventists believe the more sense it made to me. I even began to understand things like regeneration! And atonement and Soteriology and Christology and the different kinds of hermeneutical approaches to Theology and Religious Liberty and all kinds of stuff and how it all pertains to and centers on Jesus! I'm still learning! It's great! :)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HI, MARY!!! :):):)

I'd like to think there's something to be said for simply being able to choose to worship God according to the dictates of my own conscience, which I've decided is what I perceive the Bible to say. I won't stand for some ecclesiastical bureaucrat telling me how I must relate to my maker. That's all. I know that makes me a heretic to the universal church.

It's very, very unfortunate that folks don't agree on what God wants. But I don't think I had any hand in that mess. Protestants aren't really Protestants anymore for the most part so what difference does it make? I have no loyalty to any church other than my own. That really bothers a lot of people, but what can I say? I'm not going to lie about it. I am a Protestant mostly in that I'm in favor of (or pro) testing doctrine against the Bible.

Okay, then, I guess you're not going to entertain that idea, either. No worries.

I simply don't believe The LORD has been as careful to preserve the veracity of historical Christian writings as He has His Holy Word. And there's no theoretical Sabbath of the 1800s. Only the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. The Bible is sufficient to prove that.
SABBATH-BANNER.png

All I knew about Seventh-day Adventists growing up is what my grandmother told me:

"They go to church on Saturday and they don't believe in Santa Claus." - lol

Oh, and their churches had funny-looking signs out front with 3 angels blowing trumpets. I spotted that on my own. :cool:

I became a Seventh-day Adventist in the vigor and soundness of mind of my youthful manhood, because I was searching for a place to start the religious education of my pre-school children and I found the Seventh-day Adventists to have the Theology that seemed the most cohesive to me. I had been taught by Southern Baptists as a child that the ten commandments were the moral code for Christians and I found out later that that was only 9/10 true for them.

You see, I couldn't get straight answers to my questions from anyone but the Adventists, and I didn't have forever to get settled somewhere (my kids wouldn't stop growing!). And, wouldn't you just know it, the more I dug into what Adventists believe the more sense it made to me. I even began to understand things like regeneration! And atonement and Soteriology and Christology and the different kinds of hermeneutical approaches to Theology and Religious Liberty and all kinds of stuff and how it all pertains to and centers on Jesus! I'm still learning! It's great! :)
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I better understand now where you are coming from.

I know nothing about the SDA's so your one step ahead of me.

It sounds like you are saying that you are a church of one: You read the bible, you interpret it BUT you are still learning which means you could change your mind at anytime on what you previously thought was the Truth. (that's my take away from your post)

Please remember one thing in our debates about Scriptural interpretation: you are still learning so please don't ever tell me that I am wrong about what I tell you to be the Truth because in the future you just might learn that I was right and you were wrong....After all, you are still learning.

Also, Scripture says "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." Why didn't you obey the leaders of the SDA denomination when you became a member? Or do you believe no one should rule over you?

I believe that after 2,000 years we already know the Truth. If we don't, why is God still hiding it from us?

Mary

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm.....So you don't want to be tied to the SDA denomination.
I think I've got you figured out. Instead of teaching your team anything at all about scripture, they just rounded you all up and taught you how to twist anything and everything somebody posts in every way possible to distort it from the Truth. And that is who you are, Mary.

Do you realize that I looked at the last TEN posts of yours in this thread and not one of 'em contained a single reference to scripture by any specific verse. That speaks volumes about you and your purpose here.

You are here to distract, dissuade, disinform, derail and diminish the Word of God. Period.
...you are a Sabbatarian, just like them, and that is the gist of our discussion; Sabbatarianism.
Oh, that dirty, stigmatized word you use to shame and belittle those who obey the 4th Commandment. What do you call somebody who obeys the 1st, or the 2nd, or the 3rd? Heck, what do you call yourselves for obeying EIGHT or NINE of the Commandments? That's gotta be an interesting slur.

I just call you CATHOLICS.
Soooo why are you not an SDA? After all, they teach what you believe concerning the Sabbath?
I don't claim any allegiance to any specific denomination to make the point that denominations are really irrelevant. After all, it's all about God and His Word. Yes, SDA's teach to obey the 4th Commandment, so does the Bible. We are in agreement.
Also, how or why is YOUR "fully backed by Scripture in it's entirety" interpretation from Scripture about the Sabbath accurate and a majority of Christian theologians since the NT times NOT "fully backed by scripture in its entirety"? They don't understand Scripture but YOU, a bible believing Christian, DO understand Scripture? Help me out here....
This is something you're intentionally all screwy about. It's not about denominations, it's not about groups. We, who truly have the Holy Spirit and worship God in spirit and in Truth, are all one in Christ. God will not save any one denomination in total; nor any one race, nor any one church. It's all about the individual and their personal relationship to God.

You Catholics are brainwashed to believe you are the "one true religion" and that all Catholics will be saved. Not a single implication in scripture gives that impression. But, as I've shown, the finer details of scripture don't interest you.

It is not MY "faulty position"....it is what Christianity has taught for 2022 years. Your position (and yes I can say YOUR position since you read/interpret Scripture on your own) became popular around 200 years ago and separated from Christianity.
Nope.

What I believe has been taught from the very beginning. Jesus taught it and all His disciples followed His lead from His time upon the earth, continued immediately upon His death on the cross - and throughout the millennia since.

We are still following His Ways to this very day. His Spirit and His Truth are alive and well as His kingdom still reigns within all those who carry His Spirit and His message.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I better understand now where you are coming from.

I know nothing about the SDA's so your one step ahead of me.

It sounds like you are saying that you are a church of one: You read the bible, you interpret it BUT you are still learning which means you could change your mind at anytime on what you previously thought was the Truth. (that's my take away from your post)

Please remember one thing in our debates about Scriptural interpretation: you are still learning so please don't ever tell me that I am wrong about what I tell you to be the Truth because in the future you just might learn that I was right and you were wrong....After all, you are still learning.

Also, Scripture says "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." Why didn't you obey the leaders of the SDA denomination when you became a member? Or do you believe no one should rule over you?

I believe that after 2,000 years we already know the Truth. If we don't, why is God still hiding it from us?

Mary
Thanks for your strange reply. I'm afraid I failed to give you a correct impression of where I am coming from. No worries. :)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you realize that I looked at the last TEN posts of yours in this thread and not one of 'em contained a single reference to scripture by any specific verse. That speaks volumes about you and your purpose here.

You are here to distract, dissuade, disinform, derail and diminish the Word of God. Period..
When I need to use Scripture to destroy what you have been taught by your 19th century men, I will use Scripture. Otherwise I will continue to use logic and historical (before the 19th century) to destroy your beliefs. Which is what I have been doing. None the less, here is some Scripture and Christian history that was written before the 19th history you adhere to:

Sunday was the day he was found to have been resurrected, and his first two appearance to the twelve disciples were on the following two Sundays (Jn. 20:19, 20:26). Again, five weeks later—on Sunday—the Holy Spirit descended on the apostles. Colossians 2:17–19: “Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—things which are a mere shadow of what is to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.” In Paul’s letter to the Romans, written around 57–58, he says, “For one person considers one day more important than another, while another person considers all days alike. Let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind. Whoever observes the day observes it to the Lord” (Rom. 14:5–6). The apostle is speaking here about the day which is being observed to the Lord, i.e., the day of worship. He notes that this is up to each person to decide. It must be noted, however, that Paul does not specifically mention the Sabbath here. The Didache taught: “On the Lord’s own day, gather together and break bread.” This is a clear reference invoking Christians to worship on Sunday written around the year 100. In the year 110—only twelve years after the death of the last apostle—Ignatius, bishop of Antioch, calls the Sabbath “antiquated.” The full passage of the letter of Ignatius to the Magnesians, reads: “Do not be led astray by other doctrines nor by old fables which are worthless. For if we have been living by now according to Judaism, we must confess that we have not received grace. The prophets . . . who walked in ancient customs came to a new hope, no longer Sabbatizing but living by the Lord’s day, on which we came to life through Him and through His death.” The Epistle of Barnabas (A.D. 130–135) is the first explicit mention of Lord’s day worship being based on the Resurrection. Barnabas writes: “Finally He [God] says to them: ‘I cannot bear your new moons and Sabbaths.’ You see what he means: It is not the present Sabbaths that are acceptable to me, but the one that I have made; on that Sabbath day, which is the beginning of another world. This is why we spend the eighth day in celebration, the day on which Jesus both arose from the dead and, after appearing again, ascended into heaven.”

So there you go kiddo.

Status
Not open for further replies.