The Arrogance of Women Who Wear Earrings.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy My wife and I visited an orchard produce centre the other day; could have stayed there longer. We were going back to make purchases but at the last moment we didn't...

I like those garden shop places..... :)

(Yes, pierced ears need not have anything to do with arrogance....using little rings in pierced holes is sometimes simply appropriate...)
Yes Farouk, there is nothing wrong with tasteful piercings.

I love the roadside stands. We have them all around here in the Summer and Fall and, N.Y. apples are pretty darn good if I may say so. It's the only time I'll even buy apples, in season.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes Farouk, there is nothing wrong with tasteful piercings.

I love the roadside stands. We have them all around here in the Summer and Fall and, N.Y. apples are pretty darn good if I may say so. It's the only time I'll even buy apples, in season.

@Nancy

Yes, doing it can be a wholesome, natural development well within the bounds of modesty...

https://invernesscorp.com/new-ear-piercing-looking-at-multiple-piercings/

NY is known for its New England, lush harvests in the fall.

There is something about garden centres at certain times of the year which makes visits such a pleasant experience. Maybe it's about being near nature and a strong sense of the bountiful Creator? Sometimes it's possible to visit a garden centre and be happy just to potter about for hours. A man who was an older friend years ago - who is now with the Lord - used to visit garden centres and sometimes I would go with him and look at all the things on display and muse and reflect with him. Memories......

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God looks on the heart. And by condemning women who choose to wear earrings or bangles etc you are showing yourself to be judgmental and unloving.
@Pearl I do think that if an adolescent young woman does want to put some simple rings in her ears it would be a bit mean for parents to stop her.

(Or young man, for that matter.)

Reactions: Pearl

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Pearl I do think that if an adolescent young woman does want to put some simple rings in her ears it would be a bit mean for parents to stop her.

(Or young man, for that matter.)

Teaching obedience to our children is important and is the responsibility of every parent.

Sadly, parents do not know the meaning of being obedient to God and teaching their children obedience.

Once our children have become adults and we have trained them in the way that they should live their lives, then our responsibility for teaching them about the things of God, ends, and we then have to trust that God can repair all of the mistakes that we have committed in the training of our children.

It is sad what you are peddling.

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Teaching obedience to our children is important and is the responsibility of every parent.

Sadly, parents do not know the meaning of being obedient to God and teaching their children obedience.

Once our children have become adults and we have trained them in the way that they should live their lives, then our responsibility for teaching them about the things of God, ends, and we then have to trust that God can repair all of the mistakes that we have committed in the training of our children.

It is sad what you are peddling.
What has that got to do with earrings?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What has that got to do with earrings?

Pearl, I have had daughters, the older one wanted to have her ears pierced but when told that she could not until she was much older. She complied.

Her younger sister, just when out and had her ears pierced. She had disobeyed me as her father not to have her ears pierced, and she was then not allowed to obtain or wear any earrings until she was much older.

Teaching obedience to children is very import.

My youngest son, going to a fine "Christian school," obtained bullets from other students at that school, who had probably stolen them from their fathers arsenal stash, and set out to make a soda flask bomb. I confiscated the bullets from him and put them in a glass bottle screwing the lid on very tightly and told him to not touch them or take them from the glass bottle.

Unfortunately, he did not listen to me and built himself a bomb from the cordite he obtained from those bullets, by putting the cordite into the soda flask. Fortunately, the soda flask bomb did not explode when full of the cordite. So he tapped out the cordite from the flask onto a flat surface and lit the cordite with a sparkler which just flashed. He then proceeded to insert the sparkler into the neck of the soda flask which then exploded in his hands. He consequently lost sight in one eye, and mangled his right hand. When I walked into the hospital room where he was after the explosion, he said to me, "Dad, you do not have to tell me what I did, I know what I did wrong." His children were taught to obey and comply with their parents directions.

Many years later his ex wife told we that I should not have left my son's bullet stash in the house and should not have left them there for him to take. However, his siblings, told me that if I had removed them from the house, he would have simply obtained more bullets from the other school students and still built his bomb.

You asked me what has my post to do with wearing earring. My post was addressing teach our children not to follow the crowd in what they do. It is not always wise. Farouk loves to push the boundaries as to what is acceptable, and his posts are designed to encourage behaviours that are not always good for us or our children.

If you as an adult want to have your ears pierced, that is your choice to make and I will not oppose you to do as you want, that is between you and God. However, Farouk's peddling of certain behaviour is not, in my opinion, acceptable behaviour.

Shalom

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Back a bit
...all of the verses relating to God showing jewelry in the Bible as an example of different things.
@FluffyYellowDuck Like you said, there's lots of examples there.

Like I was saying earlier, I do think that if an adolescent young woman does want to put some simple rings in her ears it would be a bit mean for parents to stop her.

Or young man, for that matter.

(I just don't get that it's not acceptable behaviour, as suggested.)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back a bit @FluffyYellowDuck Like you said, there's lots of examples there.

Like I was saying earlier, I do think that if an adolescent young woman does want to put some simple rings in her ears it would be a bit mean for parents to stop her.

I don't remember this thread but I read the first post.

If she thinks it's a sin for her it is, but its just outright silly.

You're not supposed to draw attention to yourself or distract from the Lord at church and you are not to adorn yourself through merely physical appearances, instead you adorn the inside through self-control and Godliness.

Does not mean she will go to hell for doing nice things for herself. It is excessive vanity that is the problem.

Rebecca was given a nose ring and bracelets because she was getting married.

Actually this judgment on people is the bad thing and it seems in some of the churches that run these things its ran by men who specifically pick on women; seeking out to control their wives and keep them disconnected from the world and make them drab enough to be for themselves via spiritual abuse and then threaten everyone who disagrees with them with hellfire.

So you're wrong, @Jared42.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you as an adult want to have your ears pierced, that is your choice to make and I will not oppose you to do as you want, that is between you and God.
i don't understand how we have gone from the arrogance of women who have wear earrings to whether children should be allowed to have their ears pierced. And I am so glad you will not oppose my choice of having pierce ears. I think that was rather arrogant of you by the way.

Reactions: DuckieLady

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back a bit @FluffyYellowDuck Like you said, there's lots of examples there.

What is not acceptable is disobeying one's parents while still subject to those parents... just because someone else insists that the disobedience is harmless and that the rules of the parents are "mean".

Even when no longer subject to one's parents, when does a person stop respecting those parents? While it is true that some parents do not deserve obedience or respect, I am not speaking of such cases.

Pressing for people to engage in things because the things in themselves may be pure does not make them right when approached with the wrong attitude/spirit.

Sex is also harmless and pure when pursued in accord with God's will for it...

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i don't understand how we have gone from the arrogance of women who have wear earrings to whether children should be allowed to have their ears pierced. And I am so glad you will not oppose my choice of having pierce ears. I think that was rather arrogant of you by the way.

Pearl, I do not understand how you cannot see the connection. @farouk previously quoted two scriptures that he alluded to as supporting the practice of having one ears pierced. Both scriptures he quoted said something very different about the piercing of ones ears. The first one was from the Psalms and it was talking about the clearing out of the wax from ones ears so that we could hear. The second was about a man who wanted to remain a slave in the household of his master and the piercing of his ears with an anvil was a outwards sign that the man was now a slave for live to his master.

During the early years of the Israelites being in the desert with Moses he requested this: -

Exodus 35:4-9: - 4 And Moses spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying, "This is the thing which the Lord commanded, saying: 5 'Take from among you an offering to the Lord. Whoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it as an offering to the Lord: gold, silver, and bronze; 6 blue, purple, and scarlet thread, fine linen, and goats' hair; 7 ram skins dyed red, badger skins, and acacia wood; 8 oil for the light, and spices for the anointing oil and for the sweet incense; 9 onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod and in the breastplate.
NKJV

And this was the response of the congregation: -

Exodus 35:20-22: - 20 And all the congregation of the children of Israel departed from the presence of Moses. 21 Then everyone came whose heart was stirred, and everyone whose spirit was willing, and they brought the Lord's offering for the work of the tabernacle of meeting, for all its service, and for the holy garments. 22 They came, both men and women, as many as had a willing heart, and brought earrings and nose rings, rings and necklaces, all jewellery of gold, that is, every man {and woman} who made an offering of gold to the Lord.​
NKJV

Notice that it was everyone whose spirit was willing to, brought the Lord's offering for the work of the Tabernacle of meeting.

Now I am not saying that those who did not bring an offering of all their gold jewellery were disobedient unto the command of the Lord, but it is an interesting observation what the source of their gold was. The question I would ask of us today, is, "Are we prepared to let go of our jewellery of gold or silver that we adorn ourselves with, as a statement of our relationship with God. Now I am not judging you, for wanting to adorn yourself with jewellery or having your ears pierced, with the scriptural passages above, that is as I said between you and God and what He puts on your heart. There was no arrogance in my heart with respect to what I wrote, nor did I play the person, as you have done, to invalidate what someone else may have posted.

The tone of this thread was set by Jared42, in the title/heading he used for this thread. His opening scripture in the OP for this thread was: -

1 Timothy 2:9: - "I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, in costly array."

Which is speaking about the heart in which we approach God with, when we come together to worship Him. There was no condemnation in the verse for having our ears pierced, if that was the case back then when Paul penned this letter

That, to me, is the teachable principle that I was suggesting that we apply and teach our children and there should be no difference in the teaching for either our sons or daughters.

Again it is about the wisdom, which we exercise, in the training of our children. The discussion with our children when they come to ask us to have their ears pierced is a teachable moment for them about the things of God.

Shalom

PS: our issues are often found in the English translations which do not convey the same context as is found in the original language in which it was written.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Rebecca was given a nose ring and bracelets because she was getting married.

Actually this judgment on people is the bad thing and it seems in some of the churches that run these things its ran by men who specifically pick on women; seeking out to control their wives and keep them disconnected from the world and make them drab enough to be for themselves via spiritual abuse and then threaten everyone who disagrees with them with hellfire.

So you're wrong, @Jared42.
@FluffyYellowDuck

Yes, a little nose ring can be perfectly unobtrusive and totally modest.

images
pinterest

Like you said, Rebecca had one. So did Zion in Ezekiel 16.12 (given by the Lord).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the Song of songs the lover makes earrings and jewelry for the Beloved.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl It can be simply a wholesome thing to do to pierce one's ears or nose.
It is definitely not worth being legalistic about. If people don't like it or don't agree with it they should just put a sock in it a keep quiet.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is definitely not worth being legalistic about. If people don't like it or don't agree with it they should just put a sock in it a keep quiet.
@Pearl Like you said, people did it in the Bible. If an adolescent girl intends to stud her ears, it's really a perfectly natural and hugely widespread development. (Or an adolescent young man, imho.) If they want to do it, it's probably a bit mean of parents to stop them.

This thread has a really bizarre title...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hugs
I'm sure this has something to do with earrings too..
It's in the ear.. kind of like corn.
:)
Hugs
@Ziggy

Well.....

It's something...that you just do...

17345_acc5a092ce131ea6b929a6922684be25.jpeg
bhg dot com

...and it's just nice.

Unless the person was too young to remember, doing it is something memorable that stays with you.

(I'm sure there are analogies to compare with, like you say...)

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy

Well.....

It's something...that you just do...

17345_acc5a092ce131ea6b929a6922684be25.jpeg
bhg dot com

...and it's just nice.

Unless the person was too young to remember, doing it is something memorable that stays with you.

(I'm sure there are analogies to compare with, like you say...)
There was a Kay's Jewelers I think, in the center of broadway. My mom took me in and I remember a woman, a cotton ball, the smell of rubbing alchohol, and a gun!
So much is so fuzzy now. I liked the studs. I thought they was pretty. My mom got hers done too at the same time.
I always liked the small ones, like the birthstones. I wasn't much for the dangly ones. Always got caught in my hair.
Then I just couldn't stop them from bleeding and rashing. So I ended up letting them close up.
That was a lot of years ago.
Somewhere on the left side in the middle....
There was a Brigham's Ice Cream and a Woolworth's.
And a Movie Theater at the end of the block.
We had a Purity Supreme Market on the right.

I wonder what it looks like today...

iu
iu

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There was a Kay's Jewelers I think, in the center of broadway. My mom took me in and I remember a woman, a cotton ball, the smell of rubbing alchohol, and a gun!
So much is so fuzzy now. I liked the studs. I thought they was pretty. My mom got hers done too at the same time.
I always liked the small ones, like the birthstones. I wasn't much for the dangly ones. Always got caught in my hair.
Then I just couldn't stop them from bleeding and rashing. So I ended up letting them close up.
That was a lot of years ago.
Somewhere on the left side in the middle....
There was a Brigham's Ice Cream and a Woolworth's.
And a Movie Theater at the end of the block.
We had a Purity Supreme Market on the right.

I wonder what it looks like today...

iu
iu

@Ziggy:

Just memorable, right?

Something years later that girls remember doing.

In the late 70s, moms started getting doubles done when they went to get their daughters' doubles done also.

(Boys get theirs done as well. Memorable for them also...)

Kind of think that when moms and sisters were customarily getting doubles done, for adolescent boys not to be allowed even one stud in one ear must have seemed unfair.... (Now young men get one in both ears, of course...and why not?)

Anyway, what a bizarre thread title! :)

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am so glad you will not oppose my choice of having pierce ears.
@Pearl Frankly - imho - even young men who really want to do it should go ahead and no one should stand in their way - let alone the young or more mature women who do it; and of course there are various styles for various wearers.

I just don't get the mindset of those who see it as problematic. (Legalistic, I suppose, one would call it.)