The Arrogance of Women Who Wear Earrings.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give ear, and hear my voice; hearken, and hear my speech. Does He who plows for sowing plow continually? Does He continually open and harrow His ground? When He had leveled its surface, does He not scatter dill, sow cummin, and put wheat in rows and barley in it's proper place, and spelt as the border? For he is instructed aright; his god teaches him. Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over cummin; but dill is beaten out with a stick, and cummin with a rod. Does one crush bread grain? No, he does not thresh it forever; when He drives His cart wheel over it with His horses, He does not crush it. This also comes from The Lord of host; He is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in wisdom.
Everything in it's season.

Dill is a tender annual surviving only one season.
Cumin is an annual plant in the parsley family.
Perennial wheat is planted at the same time as annual wheat and initially, the plants grow similarly. However, perennial wheat matures about three weeks later than annual wheat.

I didn't know Barley was a grass.. that's interesting..

Annual and perennial grass Rice, wheat, corn, and barley are all grasses as well and all cereals or grains are members of the grass family.
Spelt is a primitive type of wheat. It is an annual plant in the grasses family (Poaceae) which was already cultivated as a cereal 8 - 9,000 years ago. Spelt wheat originates from the Fertile Crescent of the Near East, the same region where also other early cereals such as emmer wheat and barley were grown.

Annual means yearly, Perennial can be 2-3 years.
Seed time and harvest time..
All the time..

Thank You for that,
very interesting..
grass, hmm
Hugs

Reactions: GTW27

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give ear, and hear my voice; hearken, and hear my speech. Does He who plows for sowing plow continually? Does He continually open and harrow His ground? When He had leveled its surface, does He not scatter dill, sow cummin, and put wheat in rows and barley in it's proper place, and spelt as the border? For he is instructed aright; his god teaches him. Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over cummin; but dill is beaten out with a stick, and cummin with a rod. Does one crush bread grain? No, he does not thresh it forever; when He drives His cart wheel over it with His horses, He does not crush it. This also comes from The Lord of host; He is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in wisdom.
2Kings Chapter 19..
I'm going to start a new thread.. I just wanted to put this here so I don't forget.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
They didn't need that kind of medicine.. lol
I was thinking about a little wine for the stomach sake..
is wine acidic?
Heartburn = acid reflux Cider vinegar = acidic.
If you don't have enough acidity in your stomach to break things down, it has a tendency to rise up.
So you fight acidity with acidity.
They (doctors) recommend alkalining your stomach to relive acidity, but that's why the problem began in the first place.
Your too alkaline.
Like a fish tank..
we all need a good alkaline/acidic balance :)
Hugs
I was pulling your leg zig zag. The scripture records these words of the guys after Jesus vanished on them ‘didn’t our hearts burn when he opened to us the scriptures’
...a play on the words ‘hearts burn’

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was pulling your leg zig zag. The scripture records these words of the guys after Jesus vanished on them ‘didn’t our hearts burn when he opened to us the scriptures’
...a play on the words ‘hearts burn’
That's what made me think of wine for the stomach.

Something about bowels of mercy...
Psa 22:14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

heart of wax, heart burns, melted in the midst of my bowels.

the visual of that is something..
now, have a little wine for thy stomach sake...

1Ti 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

I am poured out like water, drink no longer water... all my bones are out of joint... often infirmities.
I think there is a connection here, I'm just not seeing it yet.

I know the Psalm concerns Jesus and the crucifixion..
I think there's more though.. I think bones means something else, things aren't lining up.. out of joint.
Maybe Timothy is struggling trying to understand, and this is giving him indigestion.. because things are changing and he's trying to line everything up and it's out of joint...

Is Paul writing this letter to Timothy?

1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

(and people say I don't study.. :rolleyes: )

I'm just tossing some salad to go with my wine,
Hoping I don't get heart burn, because I'm not very fond of straight cider vinegar.
:)

Hugs
I'm sure this has something to do with earrings too..
It's in the ear.. kind of like corn.
Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's what made me think of wine for the stomach.

Something about bowels of mercy...
Psa 22:14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

heart of wax, heart burns, melted in the midst of my bowels.

the visual of that is something..
now, have a little wine for thy stomach sake...

1Ti 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

I am poured out like water, drink no longer water... all my bones are out of joint... often infirmities.
I think there is a connection here, I'm just not seeing it yet.

I know the Psalm concerns Jesus and the crucifixion..
I think there's more though.. I think bones means something else, things aren't lining up.. out of joint.
Maybe Timothy is struggling trying to understand, and this is giving him indigestion.. because things are changing and he's trying to line everything up and it's out of joint...

Is Paul writing this letter to Timothy?

1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

(and people say I don't study.. :rolleyes: )

I'm just tossing some salad to go with my wine,
Hoping I don't get heart burn, because I'm not very fond of straight cider vinegar.

Hugs
I'm sure this has something to do with earrings too..
It's in the ear.. kind of like corn.
Hugs
I see, so the wine’s following the salad. Personally, I don’t care for wine even though I love it and I don’t toss the salad; I eat it.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see, so the wine’s following the salad. Personally, I don’t care for wine even though I love it and I don’t toss the salad; I eat it.
I don't drink alcohol..
my stomach don't agree with it.
I only toss the salad when the lettuce has wilted.
Hugs

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have not shown any problem I have with other people wearing earrings. I do not wear them, it is women and men who wear them that have a problem.
What if I told you that God's people wore earrings? Both men and women.
Job 42:11 states Job was given golden earrings, and so were the Israelites.
We are told that Aaron gathered all the earrings from all of their sons to build the false idol golden calf.
The Hebrew word nezem appears 17 times in the Old Testament. It is translated in a variety of ways such as: gold rings for women (Genesis 24:22, 30), a nose ring for a women (Genesis 24:47) and earrings for Jacob’s wives (Genesis 35:4). In Exodus 32:2-3; 35:22 we are told that the Israelite wives, sons and daughters had earrings. Since the sons had earrings, most likely the husbands or adult men wore earrings also.
Just saying..

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to wear them...the girls liked it. It made me look tough. It was the 70s. I don't wear it today, though if I wanted to, I would. It's an external and it never broke the first commandment. I've since grown up...I suggest you do the same thing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What if I told you that God's people wore earrings? Both men and women.
Job 42:11 states Job was given golden earrings, and so were the Israelites.
We are told that Aaron gathered all the earrings from all of their sons to build the false idol golden calf.
The Hebrew word nezem appears 17 times in the Old Testament. It is translated in a variety of ways such as: gold rings for women (Genesis 24:22, 30), a nose ring for a women (Genesis 24:47) and earrings for Jacob’s wives (Genesis 35:4). In Exodus 32:2-3; 35:22 we are told that the Israelite wives, sons and daughters had earrings. Since the sons had earrings, most likely the husbands or adult men wore earrings also.
Just saying..
@Renniks ....and years ago for a very long time it was the case that a sailor wearing an earring obliquely identified himself with Christianity - how ever he understood it: doing sometimes dangerous work far overseas, if he was killed, the earring was supposed to pay for a Christian burial - how ever this was understood.

Reactions: Ziggy and Renniks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Many Christian women do this, with Godly rather than supposedly arrogant hearts...

17345_acc5a092ce131ea6b929a6922684be25.jpeg
bhg dot com

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I shaved, cut my hair, now I look like an office worker. Me is fading fast. I want to see revival, and I want to see my Messiah again.

Reactions: Ziggy and farouk

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lord, this world is not my home, I belong before Your throne.
On my knees with You, Oh Lord, my Father.
This is what I look forward to.

Reactions: Ziggy and farouk

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I lost the love of my life and my kids are grown up. I see my grandkids but I don't know them very well.
No matter...I have my favorite.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I got my ears pierced when I was 7 years old... my mother took me to the jewellers ( back then that seemed to be the place to go )...
When I was pregnant with my daughter ( 30 years ago )... I got a second hole above the original because I like the look of studs over hoops.
The second holes have for some ppl become almost standard. Numerous Godly women do second holes - let alone the firsts that the OP oddly seems to object to...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some Christians believe it is wrong for women to wear makeup or jewelry, citing a couple of New Testament passages that seem to forbid such things. While we certainly respect the convictions of born-again children of God, we also want to be sure that our teaching does not go beyond what the Word of God actually says. We do not want to “teach man-made ideas as commands from God” (Mark 7:7, NLT).

In examining the propriety of wearing makeup or jewelry, we start with 1 Samuel 16:7b: “The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” This verse lays down a foundational principle concerning the limitations of our perspective: we naturally see the externals; God sees the internal truth. This does not mean that the externals are unimportant, of course—we readily communicate with others via visual signals, and the appearance we choose for ourselves can express rebellion, piety, carelessness, meticulousness, etc. But appearances can be deceiving, and there is the deeper issue of the heart. Whatever is done to the outward appearance is done for man to see, and we should be careful about that, but God is more concerned with what is happening in the heart.

In the context of rules for public worship, Paul says, “I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God” (1 Timothy 2:9–10). This is one of the passages that cause some women to avoid wearing makeup or jewelry altogether.

A couple of things to note in this passage: first, there is a standard of dress that is right for a woman in a worship service. Paul gives no specifics, but a woman’s clothing is to be modest and decent and respectable. Wearing anything that is immodest, indecent, or disreputable is wrong. Drawing the line between modest and immodest can be subjective, and modesty depends somewhat on cultural mores, but each believer should be discerning enough to avoid giving offense.

Second, there is a proper adornment for women who worship God and an improper adornment. The proper adornment for a godly woman is simply good deeds. Tabitha adorned herself beautifully by “always doing good and helping the poor” (Acts 9:36). The improper adornment for a godly woman is that which puffs her up with pride or draws attention to her outward appearance: the examples are elaborate hairstyles, gold and pearls, and expensive clothing. The focus of a worship service is to be the Lord, not the latest fashion, the biggest diamond, or the most chic hairdo. Wearing a $3,000 dress to church or flashing gaudy jewelry does nothing to truly adorn the woman of God. She would be much better off—and the poor much better served—if she sold the dress and gave the money to a Christian charity. Perhaps the time she spent on the elaborate hairdo would have been better spent serving someone in need.

In 1 Timothy 2:9–10, Paul sets up a contrast between trying to please God and trying to please men. A public worship service should not be a fashion show. It’s not that a woman can never wear jewelry or style her hair differently. It’s that overindulgence and excess are improper in church. We must all guard against pride and be careful not to distract others (or ourselves) from what is truly important: the worship of God and the service of others.

Another passage that relates to the issue of women wearing makeup or jewelry is 1 Peter 3:3–5, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves.”

Peter emphasizes the contrast between the outward, fleeting beauty and the inward, lasting beauty of a woman. A truly beautiful woman has a “gentle and quiet spirit.” She may not be noticed much in this world, but God sees the heart. To flaunt one’s beauty for selfish adoration is not in line with the humility of Christ, especially when the flaunting takes place in a worship service. Again, it’s not that braided hair is sinful, but those who rely on their hair, their jewelry, or their clothing to make them beautiful are chasing after vanity. It is more worthwhile to develop godly character.

In summary, there is nothing inherently wrong with wearing jewelry, makeup, or braided hair, as long as it is done in a modest manner. Also, such things can never replace good deeds or a humble spirit. A Christian woman should not be so focused on her outward appearance that she neglects her spiritual life. A worship service should be focused on God, not on us. If a woman is spending an inordinate amount of time and money on her appearance, the problem is that the woman’s priorities are misplaced. Expensive jewelry and clothing are the results of the problem, not the problem itself.got?

hope this helps !!!
For so long, the tacit equivalent for women of men wearing neckties in somewhat formal situations is to wear earrings; no rule about it, but it's been a widely perceived fact.

These days, the second pair of holes has almost become a standard, including for not a few Godly women.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think this is a distraction from the real meat of the Word of God. The best finger pointed is back to yourself and asking God to search you inside out and purify you. The New Covenant is so much better then the Old covenant. Legalities are so easy to get caught up in.
@Mayflower I think you mentioned a while ago that a guy from your church got a bit negative about ear piercing; fact is, it's so widespread, and at our local church from time to time a probably a majority of the boys / young men would wear earrings; it really is so widespread; so I can't understand why even girls and women with them would be objected to, especially since it's in the Bible, even.