The Asbury ‘Surprising Work of God’

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
The word to know here is the idiom used in relation to a husband knowing his wife, intimately and experientially, not just a head knowledge of God.... Do You understand.... Doing the will of God can only be done when we know him intimately like this, not how much book knowledge we have.... this is the Gospel, we believe with our heart, not just agree with facts, because we know Him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his suffering, being made conformable unto his death. Do You understand what I am saying here? All the facts about the bible, and about Jesus you may know is not Christian faith, but the relationship with the living word of God is what Christian faith is all about. I Brought up Charles Wesley and His testimony because he was a seminary educated preacher who went into the mission field before he was deeply saved by the Love of God, which made Him write the hymn I Posted the link for..... Let Him who is wise become a fool....
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. (1 Cor. 3:18)

I Believe the Gospel of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, which is the Love of God for mankind through the death of His Son for Our sins. It is Good News, and brings Joy to those who receive it with their heart and know Him.
How can you claim that people don't experience God and the Holy Spirit intimately just because they believe in the word and are skeptical of so called revivals?
You have no basis or proof for your claims. You just keep spouting over and over that your experiences with God are more legit with nothing to back it up but your claims.
That is pseudo Christianity.

Reactions: shortangel

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
The word to know here is the idiom used in relation to a husband knowing his wife, intimately and experientially, not just a head knowledge of God.... Do You understand.... Doing the will of God can only be done when we know him intimately like this, not how much book knowledge we have.... this is the Gospel, we believe with our heart, not just agree with facts, because we know Him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his suffering, being made conformable unto his death. Do You understand what I am saying here? All the facts about the bible, and about Jesus you may know is not Christian faith, but the relationship with the living word of God is what Christian faith is all about. I Brought up Charles Wesley and His testimony because he was a seminary educated preacher who went into the mission field before he was deeply saved by the Love of God, which made Him write the hymn I Posted the link for..... Let Him who is wise become a fool....
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. (1 Cor. 3:18)

I Believe the Gospel of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, which is the Love of God for mankind through the death of His Son for Our sins. It is Good News, and brings Joy to those who receive it with their heart and know Him.
The truth is, you and others like you have a superficial relationship with the Holy Spirit that is based on emotion instead of a concrete relationship with the Holy Spirit based on abiding in him and his word daily.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Apologist Dave Armstong gives a Catholic view of the Asbury Revival:

I recently examined the Asbury Revival: currently occurring on at at least four campuses: Protestant Christian colleges with predominantly Wesleyan-holiness roots. I knew that I had been writing about and predicting such a revival for many years (I have documented comments since the year 2000). So I was curious, and decided to do an advanced Google search of my blog. The following comments are what I discovered.

Not that I claim to be a “prophet.” I don’t want to create any false impressions. I merely followed the lead of what I learned by reading G. K. Chesterton and having the honor and privilege of being personally taught and mentored by Servant of God Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J. If this is a true revival (and I highly suspect that it is, at least judging by the events so far), then they will be revealed as prescient “prophets.” By God’s grace, I have merely passed on their thoughts and added a few related ones of my own.

These comments amply demonstrate, I think, that “revival” and a desire and expectation for it to come is not (like the gospel and the Bible, etc.) exclusively a “Protestant thing.” In fact, probably the greatest and most rapid revival in history occurred in Mexico after 1531, when the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to St. Juan Diego. Over the following seven years, some 8-9 million Aztecs converted to the Catholic faith. By contrast, the great Wesleyan revivals in England took place from 1738 to 1791 and produced 1.25 million conversions.

The beginning signs of coming revival are plain already, if one would simply maintain a little hope and optimistic faith that God is in control. I believe we shall see a huge revival (perhaps the largest ever) in the next century, which I will witness when I am an old man, some 30-40 years from now. History shows us that – generally – the century following one such as ours is a time of revival, reform, and rejuvenation in the Church. Revival is cyclical, and recurring. It has always been this way. The tide is turning. Signs are all around us. Times of great revival and reform can occur even while heterodox liberals and heretics remain a problem. They are merely pawns in God’s Grand Scheme, just as the Egyptians or Assyrians or Babylonians or Romans were. (2000)

Chesterton pointed out that “the Church has gone to the dogs at least five times. In each case the dogs died.” The 20th has been the worst in history, by far. So the 21st century (if history teaches us anything) will be a time of one of the greatest revivals in the history of the Church. If you want to sit around and moan and groan and cry in your beer and be a pessimist and a cynic and a doomsayer while revival breaks out all around you, go ahead. You won’t take away my excitement when I start to see it. No way! In fact, I say that the seeds of the revival are all well-planted already. We will see the growth soon, no more than 20-40 years away at the latest, I would speculate. . . . The only thing that cheers me up in such a discussion is pondering the revival that will almost certainly occur in this century. (1-21-01)

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Apologist Dave Armstong gives a Catholic view of the Asbury Revival:

I recently examined the Asbury Revival: currently occurring on at at least four campuses: Protestant Christian colleges with predominantly Wesleyan-holiness roots. I knew that I had been writing about and predicting such a revival for many years (I have documented comments since the year 2000). So I was curious, and decided to do an advanced Google search of my blog. The following comments are what I discovered.

Not that I claim to be a “prophet.” I don’t want to create any false impressions. I merely followed the lead of what I learned by reading G. K. Chesterton and having the honor and privilege of being personally taught and mentored by Servant of God Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J. If this is a true revival (and I highly suspect that it is, at least judging by the events so far), then they will be revealed as prescient “prophets.” By God’s grace, I have merely passed on their thoughts and added a few related ones of my own.

These comments amply demonstrate, I think, that “revival” and a desire and expectation for it to come is not (like the gospel and the Bible, etc.) exclusively a “Protestant thing.” In fact, probably the greatest and most rapid revival in history occurred in Mexico after 1531, when the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to St. Juan Diego. Over the following seven years, some 8-9 million Aztecs converted to the Catholic faith. By contrast, the great Wesleyan revivals in England took place from 1738 to 1791 and produced 1.25 million conversions.

The beginning signs of coming revival are plain already, if one would simply maintain a little hope and optimistic faith that God is in control. I believe we shall see a huge revival (perhaps the largest ever) in the next century, which I will witness when I am an old man, some 30-40 years from now. History shows us that – generally – the century following one such as ours is a time of revival, reform, and rejuvenation in the Church. Revival is cyclical, and recurring. It has always been this way. The tide is turning. Signs are all around us. Times of great revival and reform can occur even while heterodox liberals and heretics remain a problem. They are merely pawns in God’s Grand Scheme, just as the Egyptians or Assyrians or Babylonians or Romans were. (2000)

Chesterton pointed out that “the Church has gone to the dogs at least five times. In each case the dogs died.” The 20th has been the worst in history, by far. So the 21st century (if history teaches us anything) will be a time of one of the greatest revivals in the history of the Church. If you want to sit around and moan and groan and cry in your beer and be a pessimist and a cynic and a doomsayer while revival breaks out all around you, go ahead. You won’t take away my excitement when I start to see it. No way! In fact, I say that the seeds of the revival are all well-planted already. We will see the growth soon, no more than 20-40 years away at the latest, I would speculate. . . . The only thing that cheers me up in such a discussion is pondering the revival that will almost certainly occur in this century. (1-21-01)
I read your post and believing it's a revival is less concerning than some of the things you said.
Believing that modern day prescient prophets and apparitions are of God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.... I would rather be in the presence of the Living God than have all the head knowledge about the One God. Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to this Experience of His true Love, and Holiness.... Yet you berate this as Evil?
Epi watched the Jesus movie last nightthat’s at theatres about the movement in the 60’s and 70’s. He said it’s very good. I’m going to see it on Monday matinee. I have enough in my change jar to get a ticket. :)
Epi pointed out how amazing it is that the movie came to theaters at the same time as the revival. Between the revival and the movie, regular secular news is all at once talking about God more than I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing. :)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for the reply.
There are a lot of videos out there that expose Asbury Revival those are just a couple. The second one I posted is pretty comprehensive and has a panel of four or so theologians christian leaders analysing the issues.

My advice to the readers, do your own research there is tons of overwhelming evidence all over youtube. Spread the word because this won't be the last false revival we will see, in the end times there will be false teachers. The false movements to come will have some of the same characterstics to look for just like some of the past ones.

Always weigh in everything with scripture.

Shalom!
All revivals true or false will have their critics.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8178979544_47f2597b39_z.jpg

Reactions: David H.