The Awaited Beating...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw also, that the Interpreter took him again by the hand, and led him into a pleasant place, where was built a stately palace, beautiful to behold; at the sight of which Christian was greatly delighted. He saw also upon the top thereof certain persons walking, who were clothed all in gold.

Then said Christian may we go in thither?

Then the Interpreter took him, and led him up towards the door of the palace; and behold, at the door stood a great company of men, as desirous to go in, but durst not. There also sat a man at a little distance from the door, at a table-side, with a book and his inkhorn before him, to take the names of them that should enter therein; he saw also that in the doorway stood many men in armor to keep it, being resolved to do to the men that would enter, what hurt and mischief they could. Now was Christian somewhat in amaze.

At last, when every man started back for fear of the armed men, Christian saw a man of a very stout countenance come up to the man that sat there to write, saying, “Set down my name, sir;” the which when he had done, he saw the man draw his sword, and put a helmet on his head, and rush towards the door upon the armed men, who laid upon him with deadly force; but the man, not at all discouraged, fell to cutting and hacking most fiercely. So after he had received and given many wounds to those that attempted to keep him out, Matthew 11:12; Acts 14:22; he cut his way through them all, and pressed forward into the palace; at which there was a pleasant voice heard from those that were within, even of those that walked upon the top of the palace, saying,

“Come in! Come in! Eternal glory thou shalt win!”

So he went in, and was clothed with such garments as they. Then Christian smiled, and said, I think verily I know the meaning of this.- The Pilgrims Progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvQOu2KZgc

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for that Rocky. I have been stuck on this book for years. It's nice to see a portion of it here. Perhaps I can finally finish it! ;)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11. "Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12. "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. 13. "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. 14. "And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear! Matthew 11:11-15

I enjoyed my first reading of Pilgrim's Progress, and have been wanting to find time to re-read it. I believe that Bunyon worked on this while in prison for his faith, and while I've shared in some of the common experience found in the book, I've never seen the sort of persecution that he experienced. Keep in mind that the author was mostly self taught and by his own admission struggled with certain biblical passages for most of his Christian life, such as: 26. For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27. but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:26-27
This problem with his understanding and consequently with his theology colors his writing with doubts that are problematic to a working faith. While scripture warns us to "examine ourselves" and also warns of self deception, the bulk of New Testament scripture is written with the intent of building our faith and not with creating doubt and double mindedness. The doctrine of the perseverance of the saints can be misunderstood when we imagine that it is dependent upon us and not upon God. Doubt hinders our prayers and doubt can and does hinder salvation when it makes us less than fully committed to trusting our Lord. The place that we need to find ourselves is not where "I know about the Lord" but as the Apostle said, For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. 2 Timothy 1:12
Enjoy and God bless.

r4hnsn

Feb 18, 2016
Bunyan spent 20 yrs in prison in total, i think his christian experience speaks volumes over the theology of those safe in their pulpits.
Theology thats not proven by its results, is like James says "faith without works"

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
r4hnsn said:
Bunyan spent 20 yrs in prison in total, i think his christian experience speaks volumes over the theology of those safe in their pulpits.
Theology thats not proven by its results, is like James says "faith without works"
There's no question that Bunyan had a working faith, I'm just pointing out that he struggled with some verses that made him doubt either his salvation, doubt God's faithfulness, or doubt God's word. Any of those is problematic, but they all tend to be a problem for those who are following Christ. Walking with God is largely trusting what He has said in spite of our fears and doubts and allowing Him to demonstrate His faithfulness. The scripture says that perfect love casts out fear, so how is love perfected? God's love is perfect from the start, so perhaps I should ask, how is our love perfected? How is it made complete? Its clearly not something instantaneous as is the moment of our spiritual birth, or Christians would never stumble.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Bunyan describing the man of God like none other...

Then said the Interpreter, Come in; I will show that which will be profitable to thee. So he commanded his man to light the candle, and bid Christian follow him: so he had him into a private room, and bid his man open a door; the which when he had done, Christian saw the picture of a very grave person hang up against the wall; and this was the fashion of it. It had eyes lifted up to heaven, the best of books in his hand, the law of truth was written upon his lips, the world was behind his back. It stood as if it pleaded with men, and a crown of gold did hang over his head.

Then said Christian, What meaneth this?

The man whose picture this is, is one of a thousand; he can beget children [1 Cor. 4:15], travail in birth with children [Gal. 4:19], and nurse them himself when they are born. And whereas thou seest him with his eyes lift up to heaven, the best of books in his hand, and the law of truth writ on his lips, it is to show thee that his work is to know and unfold dark things to sinners; even as also thou seest him stand as if he pleaded with men: and whereas thou seest the world as cast behind him, and that a crown hangs over his head, that is to show thee that slighting and despising the things that are present, for the love that he hath to his Master's service, he is sure in the world that comes next to have glory for his reward. Now, said the Interpreter, I have showed thee this picture first, because the man whose picture this is, is the only man whom the Lord of the place whither thou art going, hath authorized to be thy guide in all difficult places thou mayest meet with in the way; wherefore, take good heed to what I have shewed thee, and bear well in thy mind what thou hast seen, lest in thy journey thou meet with some that pretend to lead thee right, but their way goes down to death. - John Bunyan