The Bible - How do you view it ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you view the Bible?

• Verbatim - Word of God

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Inspired - By God but has human errors

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A true Christian is obligated to clearly state his beliefs! How can someone who hides his beliefs be a Christian?
I don't think I agree with this... I have tried for the better part of a year to state my beliefs... and all that causes is being subjected to others' opinions and disapproval... I have learned to guard my heart... and my faith... I trust NO one.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any person who speaks a second language would understand the challenge in conveying meaning by word for word translation.

In many cases translating word for word would render the text a garble and subsequently requires adjustments to make it reasonably readable.....and of course the intent is to hear the master’s voice.

YES YES

It amazes me that we get so hung up on whether we have some exact word for word translation - instead of putting our faith in Jesus Christ by listening to His words from His Holy Spirit who brings them to us. Did we read something in our Bible about how no Scripture is for our own interpretation?

2 Peter 1:20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,

So if not for our own interpretation then we must listen to the Holy Spirit can what He has to say to us! We do hear from Him, right?

Yes we do hear from Him. His sheep do hear His voice - that small voice that we find in our hearts and sometimes in our mouth - if we seek Him and pay attention. So if our Bibles (and we have lots to choose from) vary a bit so that they are not word for word alike, we still have our Lord Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit to give us proper understanding - or at least we do if we decide to seek Him and His words for us.

To quote a wise man "of course the intent is to hear the master’s voice."

The Lord - He is Wisdom, so who is a wise man except for the man who indeed seeks the voice of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Reactions: Ziggy

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I agree with this... I have tried for the better part of a year to state my beliefs... and all that causes is being subjected to others' opinions and disapproval... I have learned to guard my heart... and my faith... I trust NO one.
Yes, clearly stating our Bible beliefs can cause us grief and even banishment from forums, but hiding our beliefs is much worse.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, clearly stating our Bible beliefs can cause us grief and even banishment from forums, but hiding our beliefs is much worse.
I'm not talking about that... I'm talking about picking and choosing who I share my thoughts with... and to be honest... there are less than a handful within these forums that I agree with... therefore I do not entertain the ones who THINK they are WISER than others.
My faith is mine... and it shown by how I live my life... I owe NO ONE an explanation as to what I believe.

Reactions: Ziggy

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about that... I'm talking about picking and choosing who I share my thoughts with... and to be honest... there are less than a handful within these forums that I agree with... therefore I do not entertain the ones who THINK they are WISER than others.
My faith is mine... and it shown by how I live my life... I owe NO ONE an explanation as to what I believe.
If we don't tell people what we believe then how will they know the Truth? We are responsible.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we don't tell people what we believe then how will they know the Truth? We are responsible.
WE show them by our actions... by our kindness... our compassion... our willingness to forgive... to LOVE... God works salvation in each and every heart HIS own way... and in HIS own time... This is not a race to TELL as many people out there about CHRIST as we can so that we can TICK this guy off our list and that guy.... TOO many Christians are doing this with the claim of WASHING the blood off their hands.

If we GROW and BLOOM where we are planted and GIVE GOD all the GLORY.... they will know us by our LOVE.

Spread the Gospel... use words if you have to.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WE show them by our actions... by our kindness... our compassion... our willingness to forgive... to LOVE... God works salvation in each and every heart HIS own way... and in HIS own time... This is not a race to TELL as many people out there about CHRIST as we can so that we can TICK this guy off our list and that guy.... TOO many Christians are doing this with the claim of WASHING the blood off their hands.

If we GROW and BLOOM where we are planted and GIVE GOD all the GLORY.... they will know us by our LOVE.

Spread the Gospel... use words if you have to.
True indeed, but that doesn't tell them about Jesus and Hell fire.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If they change the truth....does that concern you?
If they change the truth??? Is there a bible translation written that actually changes the TRUTH??

When I ask this question.... I am talking the normal bibles that have been around for years... KJV... NKJV... NIV... NASB... You know what I'm talking about...

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You obviously haven't kept up. Grail was ATTACKING our English Bibles with his opinions.
There are some who like to BRAG and show off their self-appointed wisdom as well as their expensive collection of books.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True indeed, but that doesn't tell them about Jesus and Hell fire.
Better yet... It SHOWS them how to live the Christian life... LEAD by example... make the non-believers jealous... they will one day
come asking questions... and THEN it's time to SHARE your faith by mouth. Different style of evangelism.. my style is getting down in the
trenches with the sinners and waiting for the opportune time to share my faith.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they change the truth??? Is there a bible translation written that actually changes the TRUTH??

When I ask this question.... I am talking the normal bibles that have been around for years... KJV... NKJV... NIV... NASB... You know what I'm talking about...

I do not have my notes handy on comparisons, but if you are interested...
1) there is this: that gives a quick list of some changes or completely omitted.
If you enter the follow on a search engine:

300 Changes In The NIV and Other Modern Bible Versions

2) A domain name; Bible gateway is a quick access to view different Bible versions online to see for yourself.

Glory to God,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think that is how the bible is supposed to be seen... as a help and instruction for ALL OCCASIONS.
@Addy

Ann Steele's words come to mind from the 18th century:

"O may these hallowed pages be
My ever dear delight!
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light!

Divine Instructor, gracious Lord,
Be Thou for ever near;
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word,
And view a Saviour there."

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may not bother you that he trashes our Bibles with his opinions but it bothers me a lot.

I suppose you mean "Bibles printed in English"...?
Do You know they are not all the same?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do not have my notes handy on comparisons, but if you are interested...
1) there is this: that gives a quick list of some changes or completely omitted.
If you enter the follow on a search engine:
I'm sort of interested and sort of not to be honest.... My faith is good... This argument/debate does not concern me...

My question is actually more of a wondering... Are these argued changes in the WORD serious enough that it would cause
a new believer to stumble and be pointed in the wrong direction... or is this argument just one of SYNTAX??

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sort of interested and sort of not to be honest.... My faith is good... This argument/debate does not concern me...

My question is actually more of a wondering... Are these argued changes in the WORD serious enough that it would cause
a new believer to stumble and be pointed in the wrong direction... or is this argument just one of SYNTAX??

Omitted obviously becomes knowledge not revealed. And other changes IMO could lead a beginner down a rabbit hole.