The Bible - How do you view it ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you view the Bible?

• Verbatim - Word of God

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Inspired - By God but has human errors

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you all view the Bible?
Do you see it as The Word of God Verbatim with no errors or do you view it as Inspired by God with errors in human language and translations?

Personally I see the Bible as Inspired by God and the key takeaway points for me in the New Testament are that Jesus the son of God came down to our Realm, died for our sins and rose from the dead on the third day and will come again to judge the living and the dead.
When I read a sentence or a paragraph in the Old Testament for example, I realize that there’s a lot of symbolism which I don’t take literally and I realize that people at the time were confined to a limited language trying to explain something extraordinary like God. Then add translations throughout the ages and the probability for human mistakes increases.

Just wondering what your thoughts are in this topic.
Thank you.
this sounds like an excuse to interpret scripture according to one's own views. Jesus is the interpretation of scripture. the bible is a documentation of the Lord their God and the people He chose to have a relationship with to bring salvation into the world, to retrieve the faithful from death. namely Jesus Christ, hence Jesus is the interpretation thereof. not the views of men the view of God, as in God's view.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Omitted obviously becomes knowledge not revealed. And other changes IMO could lead a beginner down a rabbit hole.
Ok.... I have heard this argument before... about the KJV being the ONLY bible that is reliable... I can't comment with accuracy because I have not studied this topic. I have a NKJV... I like it very much.

Reactions: Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ok.... I have heard this argument before... about the KJV being the ONLY bible that is reliable... I can't comment with accuracy because I have not studied this topic. I have a NKJV... I like it very much.
@Addy I do love the KJV and am impressed with its accuracy; I don't say that it's the only version that is accurate but I'm deeply impressed with it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, clearly stating our Bible beliefs can cause us grief and even banishment from forums, but hiding our beliefs is much worse.
There is no obligation to put ourselves on display for others.

Everything should be according to the usefulness in loving others.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've studied this extensively.

I prefer the KJV myself, because the reading experience is to me most like reading the Greek, which I do only somewhat.

But that being said, in all the years I've compared translations and manuscripts, I find precious little that isn't said or answered, and nothing that gives any discernable change in doctrine.

Any disputed passages are settled by other passages which are not disputed.

What I suggest is that someone use a very literal version like the KJV or NASB or NKJV, and if they need additional clarity on passages, look at the NLT, then go back to the literal.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have searched many English Bibles. I have purchased over 40 translations. Critics are the problem. Our Bibles are quite consistent. Satan HATES the written Word of God. It exposes him and his children who attack our Christian Bibles, as we have seen here.
I quite agree here. I mean, there are lots of little differences in the verses between this translation and that, this manuscript and that, but I've not found this to be a problem well, I don't use the NIV, or the Message, but aside from ones such as those, I find all the same teachings in all of them.

Much love!

Reactions: kcnalp

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree. Nearly all the doctrinal divisions are due to each church having their own personal twists.
I agree with this also, personal interests coupled with a tolerance for, "It SAYS this, but it MEANS that!" Always a red flag to me!

Much love!

Reactions: kcnalp

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I prefer the KJV myself, because the reading experience is to me most like reading the Greek, which I do only somewhat.

But that being said, in all the years I've compared translations and manuscripts, I find precious little that isn't said or answered, and nothing that gives any discernable change in doctrine.

What I suggest is that someone use a very literal version like the KJV or NASB or NKJV, and if they need additional clarity on passages, look at the NLT, then go back to the literal.
I missed this.... sorry for the delayed reply.... I do have a NASB and a NKJV... I find them more than sufficient.
You have stated what I suspected and believed... NOTHING that changes doctrine.

Reactions: marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Much love!
@marks I do strongly prefer the KJV also...for a lot of reasons...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree. Nearly all the doctrinal divisions are due to each church having their own personal twists.
Could people quenching the Spirit of God have something to do with it? Who among us never quenches the Spirit?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this also, personal interests coupled with a tolerance for, "It SAYS this, but it MEANS that!" Always a red flag to me!

Much love!
I'm a literalist. Kingdom Hall is expert at TWISTING nearly every verse in the Bible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a literalist. Kingdom Hall is expert at TWISTING nearly every verse in the Bible.
I heard someone else say this, but it's true for me too. Where I've found I've been in error about Scripture, it's been from failing to take the words seriously and literally as stated.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I heard someone else say this, but it's true for me too. Where I've found I've been in error about Scripture, it's been from failing to take the words seriously and literally as stated.

Much love!
Since Fundamentalism has become a culture as well as indeed being about the Bible, sometimes making things sound good can alter the way is actually presented as well as being about what it actually says....

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once upon a time it was so unusual to have a copy of the Torah (law) , that when a copy was found, they would run with it to the King.
Not like every household had a gold leafed leather bound book sitting on their night table.
Just saying..
Today there is an ABUNDANCE of MANNA, almos every hotel/motel that have traveller's pass through provide the Gideon Bible.
Book stores, librabries and many many homes, even if they haven't been dusted of in decades.

There are countries that have never had a bible, and yet one single page can lead them to the Lord.
It's absolutely amazing.
And here we are arguing/discussing if the exact right and propper non mistakeable translations perfected books have ever had an opportunity to be out of place or out of line.
Also, absolutley amazing LOL

You know what we have right now.. an over abundance of bread. What's coming down the road shortly is an abundance of famine.
You won't even be able to find a crumb.
But you know what?
We have this manna, this treasure within ourselves. And it's up to us to go out and feed the world with Truth and Mercy and Love.

We really are spoiled.
Until it's all gone.
Hear what I'm saying..

You are the living bible and this gospel needs to be heard around the world.
reconcilliation and hope.

You are proof of God's love.
You are John 3:15.

Books are good for learning, but at some point book knowledge only goes so far.
You have to take what you've learned and put it to the grind.
I can read a recipe all day, but unless I gather the ingredients, mix, stir, blend, and prepare it for the oven..
I have nothing to show for all my knowledge of that recipe.

The recipe books are going to disappear. Because for some reason not too many care about cooking nowadays.
It's easier and more convienient to buy fast food or microwave.
So much nutrients are taken out and so many fake preservatives are replaced instead.

How are you going to defend truth when all the books are gone?
How will you be able to show and explain God's love for mankind if it's not written in a book?
And these questions will be the first you will be attacked with,
How can you prove it?
Your making it up.
It's coming from your own mind, your own opinions.

You see what a corner we put ourselves into?
You see how we attack eachother because we speak from the heart and not ink on paper?

There are at least 20 scriptures I can think off the top of my head,
that would support what I just said.
And some know that I speak as openly and as honestly with what I have to share.
Other's will just criticise and say no proof no proof, without listening to the words.
And Jesus is the Word, and not many like to listen to His word either,

Appreciate what you have. Digest what you can. Don't grumble about the manna.
Because when you grumble, you eventually lose it all together.

Be greatful, be humble,
Be thankful
Praise God!
Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Once upon a time it was so unusual to have a copy of the Torah (law) , that when a copy was found, they would run with it to the King.
Not like every household had a gold leafed leather bound book sitting on their night table.
Just saying..
Today there is an ABUNDANCE of MANNA, almos every hotel/motel that have traveller's pass through provide the Gideon Bible.
Book stores, librabries and many many homes, even if they haven't been dusted of in decades.

There are countries that have never had a bible, and yet one single page can lead them to the Lord.
It's absolutely amazing.
And here we are arguing/discussing if the exact right and propper non mistakeable translations perfected books have ever had an opportunity to be out of place or out of line.
Also, absolutley amazing LOL

You know what we have right now.. an over abundance of bread. What's coming down the road shortly is an abundance of famine.
You won't even be able to find a crumb.
But you know what?
We have this manna, this treasure within ourselves. And it's up to us to go out and feed the world with Truth and Mercy and Love.

We really are spoiled.
Until it's all gone.
Hear what I'm saying..

You are the living bible and this gospel needs to be heard around the world.
reconcilliation and hope.

You are proof of God's love.
You are John 3:15.

Books are good for learning, but at some point book knowledge only goes so far.
You have to take what you've learned and put it to the grind.
I can read a recipe all day, but unless I gather the ingredients, mix, stir, blend, and prepare it for the oven..
I have nothing to show for all my knowledge of that recipe.

The recipe books are going to disappear. Because for some reason not too many care about cooking nowadays.
It's easier and more convienient to buy fast food or microwave.
So much nutrients are taken out and so many fake preservatives are replaced instead.

How are you going to defend truth when all the books are gone?
How will you be able to show and explain God's love for mankind if it's not written in a book?
And these questions will be the first you will be attacked with,
How can you prove it?
Your making it up.
It's coming from your own mind, your own opinions.

You see what a corner we put ourselves into?
You see how we attack eachother because we speak from the heart and not ink on paper?

There are at least 20 scriptures I can think off the top of my head,
that would support what I just said.
And some know that I speak as openly and as honestly with what I have to share.
Other's will just criticise and say no proof no proof, without listening to the words.
And Jesus is the Word, and not many like to listen to His word either,

Appreciate what you have. Digest what you can. Don't grumble about the manna.
Because when you grumble, you eventually lose it all together.

Be greatful, be humble,
Be thankful
Praise God!
Hugs
....and gather twice as much on the sixth day!

Reactions: Ziggy