The Bible - How do you view it ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you view the Bible?

• Verbatim - Word of God

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Inspired - By God but has human errors

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Daily or more often...?

"Pray without ceasing" I Thess 2:17

And...

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Phil 4:4

What might happen if we ceased praying or rejoicing?
And there was silence for space of half an hour...

That was the first thought came to mind.
Hugs

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there was silence for space of half an hour...

That was the first thought came to mind.
Hugs
How long do we need to quench the Spirit as we are led to pray to and rejoice in the Lord before our silence causes God to leave us to our own resources and our own carnal prospects? Probably not 7½ years! But if when we are praying from the heart and rejoicing in the Spirit would we perhaps be in heaven? At least 1st and more likely 2nd heaven? Just thoughts that came to my mind... Then when we quench the Spirit do we drop out of heaven altogether... or?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long do we need to quench the Spirit as we are led to pray to and rejoice in the Lord before our silence causes God to leave us to our own resources and our own carnal prospects? Probably not 7½ years! But if when we are praying from the heart and rejoicing in the Spirit would we perhaps be in heaven? At least 1st and more likely 2nd heaven? Just thoughts that came to my mind... Then when we quench the Spirit do we drop out of heaven altogether... or?
The spirit is fire.. it is powerful.
What does it mean to quench the Spirit?
I was thinking about Peter and James? when they asked the Lord if he was going to rain down fire and brimstone because the town wouldn't receive them.
Jesus said, ye know not what spirit ye are of.

I still am working on that.

There is spiritual fruit.. but there is also that fire..
tongues of fire..

I think we need to allow the Spirit to direct us what to pray for, in what situation to rejoice.
Just give him free reign.
You feel like singing, sing praises. You feel sorrowful, out of blue sad, then let him help you pray.
He is our comforter.
He is also our sheild and our helmet. He wears the armour of God that he shares with us.
His armour protects us.

He is a fighter, a protector, a tutor, a councelor, a friend, a brother, my God.

wow, kinda feels like I hit the roof lol

I don't believe he will leave the one's he hears and the ones who hear him.
It's those that can't see and can't hear, we need to pray for.
And when one has their sight healed and their ears healed, then we can rejoice
another sheep was found.

I believe God is very angry right now. But he is sooo patient.
Even though we have to suffer with him through it.
I never been in any war conflict. Maybe a schoolyard fight on occasion.
I can't imagine the immense power it takes to that long-suffering.
Until you come to realize that Love overcomes Hate.
Kindness overcomes anger.
Mercy and Forgiveness and Grace..
without measure..
Like a fresh cup of cold water in the middle of a desert.
God is Hot.
He is the everlasting fire.
And yet we can touch him. We can touch his heart with our hearts.
They were too afraid to come close to the mountain, so the Lord roped them off and told them keep your distance.
They quenched the Spirit of God.
They quecnched his mercy, his graciousness and provisions, His Love.

Quench not the Spirit..
Love God with all your heart and soul and might
There is no fear in love
and you will be a bush burning as with fire and yet not consumed,
For it doth not yet appear what we shall be, but we know when we see him we shall be like him.

stars of heaven shining in the night..
as long as there is day and night, summer and winter..
There is Hope

:)
Hugs

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was thinking about Peter and James? when they asked the Lord if he was going to rain down fire and brimstone because the town wouldn't receive them.

tongues of fire..

I think we need to allow the Spirit to direct us what to pray for, in what situation to rejoice.
You feel like singing, sing praises. You feel sorrowful, out of blue sad, then let him help you pray.
He is our comforter.
He is also our sheild and our helmet. He wears the armour of God that he shares with us.
His armour protects us.

He is a fighter, a protector, a tutor, a councelor, a friend, a brother, my God.

another sheep was found.

without measure..
God is Hot.
They were too afraid to come close to the mountain, so the Lord roped them off and told them keep your distance.

Quench not the Spirit..
There is no fear in love
For it doth not yet appear what we shall be, but we know when we see him we shall be like him.

There is Hope

Hugs
@Ziggy : In Jeremiah 20 the prophet says God's word was as fire in his bones...

Reactions: Ziggy

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I am concerned about the intent, they didn't just change the Y in Yeshua to Jeshua, but they invented a whole new name....Jesus...no one knows were this word comes from

No one knows, eh?

This is from a Hebrew website:

The name "Jesus" has a long, long history. The origin of this name is the Hebrew name יהושע (yehoshu'a, Strong's #3091 [Latinized as Joshua]), which means "Yahweh saves." This Hebrew name is first used Exodus 17:9 where we are introduced to Yehoshu'a Ben Nun.

When this Hebrew name was transliterated in the Greek Septuagint (2,000 year old Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) it was written as Ἰησοῦς (iesous). The Greek alphabet had no "Y" sound, so it used the "I" sound. The Greek alphabet has no consonant "H," or equivalent, so this sound is dropped. The Greek alphabet also had no "Sh" sound, so it used the "S" sound. Then, Greek male names end with "s," so the "s" was added. And this is how יהושע (yehoshu'a) became Ἰησοῦς (iesous) in the Greek.

It is common for names to shift and evolve when transferred from one culture to another. For instance, the German name Ludwig is Louis in France and the Spanish name Juan is John in English speaking countries. The Hebrew name יהושע (yehoshu'a, Strong's #3091) is ישוע (yeshu'a, Strong's #3442 [Latinized as Jeshua]) in the Aramaic language, such as we see in Ezra 2:2. When this Aramaic name was transliterated in the Greek Septuagint, they used the same method as stated above and it comes out to Ἰησοῦς (iesous), the same as it did for yehoshu'a.

When we come to the New Testament period we find that the name of the Messiah is Ἰησοῦς (iesous) in the Greek New Testament, but we find that it is ישוע (yeshu'a) in the Aramaic New Testament. When the Greek New Testament was translated into Latin in the 4th Century this name was written as Iesus, an exact match to the Greek that it came from. The Latin letter "I" split into two letters, "I" and "J." Originally this was two different ways of writing the same letter. So the Iesus became Jesus, but they were both pronounced the same way. Years later, some cultures began using the "I" for the vowel sound and "J" for a "Y" sound. It was not until around 1500 AD that the letter J took on the "dg" sound we are familiar with today.

So, the modern name "Jesus" comes from the Latin Iesus, which comes from the Greek Iesous, which comes from the Aramaic Yeshu'a and the Hebrew Yehoshu'a.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit is more than hope. It is Life itself for us. All of our good deeds and history are nothing if the Spirit is not working in us or is gone from us.

Quenching the Spirit of God happens in every church setting, I believe, some worse than others. When men set up the church program and stick to them absolutely where no space is allowed for the Spirit to lead people together closer to God... what?

They were men drawing their own conclusions without knowledge of God's Way. Jesus set them straight. He will set us straight if we will allow it and ask it. Quenching the Spirit denies access to and control of our heart.

tongues of fire..
The fire of course is God, but will it work as His right hand [as with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego] or His left hand [as the strong men who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego & threw them into the fire]:

Heb 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire. [see Deut 4:24 & 9:3]

He consumed the soldiers working the evil command of the king, but of the three Hebrews He consumed only the ropes that bound them.

Just so... let the Spirit us direct us and lead us always!
He is our comforter.
His armour protects us.

Give God the glory!
another sheep was found.
Does anyone ever close his own ears? What is the result... if not being found as a vessel available to the Left hand of God. God helps us!

"Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;" Prov 1:24

"For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still." Isaiah 5:25

without measure..
God is Hot.
What a mighty God we serve!
Give God the glory!
Quench not the Spirit..
There is no fear in love
Amen!
There is Hope

Hugs

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is a collection of many books telling a unified story from beginning to end and all those books were written in different literally styles.
Narrative style 43%, Poetry Style 33% and Discourse 23%. Why do you think that is? Because it’s very difficult to explain something as extraordinary as God into mere human mind. So we have to use poetry, symbolism and the many parables that Jesus used to be understood in simple terms by humans.
This is my point here, I’m not discrediting anything what I’m saying is that some sections of the Bible are not taken literally at least by me especially when confronted with the scientific facts which don’t align with the story of Genesis in the Bible.
I see a lot of disagreements here in the forums between folks who interpret things literally and those who don’t which is why I opened this topic.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me the Bible is the inerrant Word of God.

It is alive.

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (as I recall)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is a collection of many books telling a unified story from beginning to end and all those books were written in different literally styles.
Narrative style 43%, Poetry Style 33% and Discourse 23%. Why do you think that is? Because it’s very difficult to explain something as extraordinary as God into mere human mind. So we have to use poetry, symbolism and the many parables that Jesus used to be understood in simple terms by humans.
This is my point here, I’m not discrediting anything what I’m saying is that some sections of the Bible are not taken literally at least by me especially when confronted with the scientific facts which don’t align with the story of Genesis in the Bible.
I see a lot of disagreements here in the forums between folks who interpret things literally and those who don’t which is why I opened this topic.

Thank you.
I see the Bible as more accurate than human observation and speculation. Much of what passes for science today is speculation, not even qualified to be called theory, but it's given as fact. So much of what they observe they ignore, and officially so.

One simple example, the rock layers at the bottom of the grand canyon carbon date millions of years younger than rock layers at the top. Guides of Grand Canyon tours are prohibited from allowing discussion of this during tours, and if some pushes the point, they'll get thrown off the tour. I know people that's happened to.

I have a scientist friend who is very involved in creation cosmology, there's a group of guys he gets together with. Most of their stuff is way over my head, but he's had me sit in a few presentations, very fascinating stuff!

These "scientific facts" that don't align with Genesis, I've found the problem to be with the so-called science.

Much love!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you.
It sounds like you have more faith in "scientists" than God of the Bible. The Bible is a Book of miracles that DEFY "science".

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like you have more faith in "scientists" than God of the Bible. The Bible is a Book of miracles that DEFY "science".

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, how do you suggest I deal with this? You want me to be blind? How do you reconcile the fact that the universe is 14 billion years old and Genesis says “one day”?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The story of Genesis to me carries a lot of symbolism and I can’t take it literally because observation or science tells us that the universe is 14 billion years old and that fossil remains tell stories of humans millions of years old. How can I reconcile this?
Precious friend, I reconciled this when I meditated on it, realizing IF The Infinite God Created man with the appearance of "age," {Adam was an adult, correct?}, then why not everything else?

Also, I thought about the GIANT dinosaurs that lived then, what IF a komodo dragon (170 lbs. in 50-60 years?), today was Allowed to live over 900 years old, how BIG would it grow? Some things the finite mind simply cannot grasp, correct?

Just sayin' That's The SUPREME God Of The BIBLE I know and believe in!

Be encouraged...

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well @GRACE ambassador i guess that’s the difference between viewing the Bible as literal or as symbolic in some sections. As I mentioned above, the Bible is written in many styles including Poetry so it’s not meant to be viewed as literal but to convey an important message from God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, how do you suggest I deal with this? You want me to be blind? How do you reconcile the fact that the universe is 14 billion years old and Genesis says “one day”?
There is no "fact" that the universe is 14 billion years old. Science is "what we know", and is supposed to be based on observation. There is no such observation.

BTW . . . you know that fossils can form in a matter of weeks in ideal conditions? That fossils formed within recent decades and centuries are routinely found?

Much love!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We live in a time capsule. Everything is controlled by time. Time is a means by which all things are measured.
A time for this, a time for that.

In this One day, the bible says, thus were the heavens created in their generations. .. I find it.
Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

How many generations are in a day?
Jesus says are there not 12 hours in a day?
So was everything created in 12 hours?
:eek:

Maybe the universe is only 12 billion years, and 1 billion being equal to an hour.
I like to think about things like this, keeps the brain active.

What if "time" was not counted until the day in which Adam was made?
That began that clock of time for man.
It is appointed... there are a lot of appointments in the bible.
You can't have appointments without time.
But no appointments were needed until death came on the scene.
And death came on the scene through disobedience.

What am I thinking of... all in their course..
I do not leave out the book of Enoch when studying things pertaining to science.
There's a lot of info in there.
Chapter 41 - The Book of Enoch
Chapter 41 – The Book of Enoch
I marked their rich progress, their unchangeable progress, their disunited and undiminished progress; their observance of a mutual fidelity by a stable oath; their proceeding forth before the sun, and their adherence to the path allotted them, in obedience to the command of the Lord of spirits. Potent is his name for ever and for ever.

Everything was going according to the eternal clock of timelessness.
Until disobedience.. something went out of alignment, and everything got bumpy from there.
Everything now has a destiny with time, until there will be time no more.
Everything will align itself unto obedience and that is where eternity is. unblemished, untarnished, with no limitations,
no death.

Is it possible that prior to sin entering into the eternal order of things, that dinosaurs exsisted?
Why not. Man was not created until the end of creation, not at the beginning.
set forth us last as a spectacle....

1Co 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.

Could be the spreading forth of the Gospel is the final evening and morning, before a new alignment takes place.
And this re-alignment is what we call heaven or eternity, because the death sentence we call time is removed.

I'm simply speculating and these are just my thoughts,
and these change all the time just like seasons in the sun.

I don't have an issue with where Science and Religion meet together.
I'm not opposed to the big bang theory. All that energy came from somewhere though.
And how can we measure time before time was even measured?

I think there was a movie called, The Land Before Time.
Why you suppose they named it that?
Just coincidence?
idk
Hugs