The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does 'inspired' mean?

Could Paul or Peter or Luke provide a better picture of who God is than Christians today?

Who decides which scriptures are literally interpreted and which ones are allegory?

What role do the scriptures play in our salvation?

Is it possible to exalt the Bible above God in our own minds and hearts?

What would have to be proven wrong about the Bible for your faith to be affected?

Is the Bible written about God's people's relationship with God? OR God's relationships with humans? OR both?

How do you handle secular disagreement with the Bible?

You do not have to answer all the questions - just pick one or two. I am trying to get a better picture of how Christians view the Bible.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth

Influence, sacred revelation

Could Paul or Peter or Luke provide a better picture of who God is than Christians today?

IMO...They do. "Christians today" are too caught up in issues, pomp and circumstance, ritualism, always being right, pastors (meaning they listen to their pastors without doing the research to test the truth of what is being taught), etc. Many are ignorant as to WHO God really is and what he teaches in the Scriptures.

Who decides which scriptures are literally interpreted and which ones are allegory?

The Holy Spirit. (See comment above)

In "salvation"? None. You do not have to know the Scriptures, or anything about them, to be saved. There is only one path to salvation and nowhere in the scriptures does it point to anything other than the blood of Christ.

Now...As far as the persons walk...Everything.

Yes. IMO...That is one of the big problems with the "church" today. Many believe God is not just contained in the scriptures but confined to the scriptures.

What would have to be proven wrong about the Bible for your faith to be affected?

For me...Someone would have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the entire "Christ story" was a lie.

Is the Bible written about God's people's relationship with God? OR God's relationships with humans? OR both?

IMO...There are very good examples of both. I believe God knows his creation better than they know themselves and he knew we would need to see examples of a "two way street".

Depends on the circumstance. If a person simply wants to argue...I don't "handle" it at all. If a person is genuinely interested, I approach it carefully, respectfully, prayerfully, all the while asking for the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This is not an easy mission. Secularists don't accept the canned christian answers so many are quick to throw out there. You really have to know what you believe, why you believe it, and how to stand on it with as much respect as you expect from the other person.

You do not have to answer all the questions - just pick one or two. I am trying to get a better picture of how Christians view the Bible.

Those are indeed some very good questions.

I would also like to add a little something extra...

Something important to relationships/conversations with secular people...A Believer does not have to have all the answers all the time. A believer should be strong enough to admit that as well. A little story...

I was having a conversation with an Atheist. In the course of the discussion, he asked if God was all loving and all knowing why didn't he prevent the little 3 year old girl from being raped and murdered? My answer..."I don't know." It is healthy for us to simply admit when we don't have an answer. Some things we will never know, and I have to admit, the scenario above will be one of my first questions. I've had many discussions with this person on many different topics. We have maintained a respect for each others beliefs and he has referred back to the time when I was "big enough" to admit I didn't have the answer when talking with others. Someone asked him one time "Why do you get into these discussions with her?" His reply..."Because I enjoy it and she's very good at it."

I've no doubt that if I ever needed anything he and his wife would be there for me and the same is true in reverse.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Divine revelation. Just as God spoke directly to the OT prophets so that they could deliver His messages to His people, so the Trinity spoke directly to the authors of the NT.

"better picture"...I'm not sure about that...we are capable of knowing God ourselves (as much as any human can!), through prayer, through the Spirit, through scripture...just as they did. But quite clearly the apostles and disciples were men set apart. Chosen by Christ to travel with Him, learn directly from Him, be eye witnesses to the amazing event of God coming to earth...His death and resurrection. And then spoken to in such a way that required them to take amazing steps for the new church. Inspired to put pen to paper so that God's words would be there for every Christian there after.

Well, the Holy Spirit, definitely. But also the principle of hermeneutics. If we believe the Bible to be true, to be the truth of God being revealed to us in word, then we use scripture to interpret scripture.

Well, technically, nothing I suppose. It's the living God behind the scriptures that makes our salvation come to be. But the Bible tells us of this Saviour, of His creation of all, of His dealing with sinful man, of His authorship of salvation, His grace towards us. And of the new life He offers us through His grace. To that end I see scripture as a tool of education, of knowledge. Like prayer, this is so important to our relationship with our heavenly father. The more we understand, the more we grow towards Him, love Him, respond to Him. And of course, the more we can reach out to others in desperate need of the gospel!

Well, sadly it seems to be possible for people to do anything. Take the westbro baptist church people. They wave Jesus and scripture around and use those names to perpetrate plain evil. Now, if they (and everyone else) actually took any notice to what scripture is really saying (proper hermeneutics and exegesis) they would see that worship belongs to God alone. We use the Bible to know God and worship Him, to lead others to worship Him. But we do not worship a book.

Well, the thing about faith, is that it's about firm belief no matter what. If someone provided 'evidence' that the Bible was wrong, I would refuse to accept that. I know that God is truth, that God is love and that any faith I place in Him is well guarded. I know that any 'science' that disproves God is just silly, as it's God who keeps the laws of science steady, that without Him chaos would ensue. Why on earth would I take a humans word above Gods? How do I know the Bible is the truth? Because everything it reveals about the character and nature of God, I can see in my life and my world. God loves me...I feel it daily. He is good...I have many wonderful things in my life that I just know I didn't get because of my own good planning. He creates a new heart in me....I can know this every time I find the strength to fight against the selfish pride in my old self, which tries to pull me back. I know I have God's help, because every day is new and I can feel Him with me...when I strive to love my husband unselfishly, when something inside me tells me I've done something wrong. I can know the bible is true, because when I read it the Spirit within me echo's and confirms it...a deep conviction of truth.

Both. Without a doubt!

I actually feel a little sorry for them. In their absolute conviction of Christian foolishness, they're very much like those people declaring the world to be flat.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great feedback - ty Gypsy and Rach.

I wanted to address my last question - I think a humble answer is the right answer. Ironically, science promotes this idea (although many scientists are far from humble) when dealing with the hypothesis and theories. They claim to be the first to admit it when they do not know the answer - I realize this does not always happen without a great deal of scoffing and mocking. I like what Gypsy has to say about this - we do not always have the answers! Catholics usually fall back on the mystery of God. This was one of my favorite parts of Catholicism when I joined up 11 years ago.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The bible is meant to inspire faith in God. When we experience the same God as those who are writing the bible, then we have benefited by the very purpose of the bible. To Connect us to God.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1.What does 'inspired' mean?

my definition is of such surpassing brilliance or excellence as to suggest divine inspiration
but it can vary depending upon word studys of the original word used.

2.Could Paul or Peter or Luke provide a better picture of who God is than Christians today?

no because these 3 were a few of the christians of that day that God inspired to write the foundation of the new testament. paul is known best for this. no one in present day will God use to lay anymore foundation for the bible. present day we all stand on what has already been revealed to us by others.

3.Who decides which scriptures are literally interpreted and which ones are allegory?

the short and sweet of it is we know the old testament is a type and shadow of Christ. the new testament explains the old testament.

4.What role do the scriptures play in our salvation?

it is a book about how God from the beginning of the world set up and planned the salvation of man so he can be redeemed again in God's sight.

5.Is it possible to exalt the Bible above God in our own minds and hearts?

yes. anything put before God is an idol. the bible is meant to assist us and not take the place of God.

6.What would have to be proven wrong about the Bible for your faith to be affected?

that God lies. so far everytime i hit a spot that looks to contradict itself i study the word and pray and God reveals how the pieces fit together.

7.Is the Bible written about God's people's relationship with God? OR God's relationships with humans? OR both?

both

8.How do you handle secular disagreement with the Bible?

i pray and study the word until God reveals how thing fit together. sometimes i ask pastors or teaches and see if what they say witnesses with my spirit.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a high view of scripture 7angels - thanks for answer my questions. I am learning a lot about people's view of scripture - very insightful.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Not secular ideas of inspired, but how God's Word defines the idea...

2 Pet 1:20-21
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
(KJV)

Thus God's Word is written through... holy men by The Holy Spirit. It is God's direct revelation to all the world. This is why The Bible is unlike any other known literature in the world.

Yes, as they were chosen to serve in The Gospel having been sent by Christ Jesus as His Apostles. Confusion of their Witness comes by others have a lack of understanding given only by The Holy Spirit. Some have the spare vessel of Oil to go with their lamps, and some do not. Some are given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom, and others are not (Matt.24; Matt.13).

God The Father through The Holy Spirit. God's Word written by The Holy Spirit; help by The Holy Spirit is required to properly understand it.

John 14:16-17
16 And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; Whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
(KJV)

Clearly, that in-dwelling by The Holy Spirit is not something that can come through man's science and ways of this world, which is why many have refused Him.

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, Which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
(KJV)

The Holy Spirit Comforter is sent ONLY through Christ's Name, which again is why many are not given to understand God's Word, because they refuse to believe on The Father 'through' His Son Jesus Christ as Immanuel God with us having shed His Blood upon the cross, which NO OTHER can claim.

The Scripture (The Bible) is The Word of God, and reveals the Testimony and Witness of Jesus Christ as God The Saviour born in the flesh to die on the cross for the remission of sins for those who believe. The Bible presents witness of the beginning of that Plan from Adam down to Christ Jesus, and the foundations of Christ's Church thereafter, even to the world to come. By it all things are and will be measured. Thus the wise will take heed.

Christians do not worship the paper and ink God's Word is printed upon, but The Father directly through His Son. And the words written upon the paper with ink which God gave through His servants represent God Himself speaking. No Christian believer in their right mind would detract from those words simply because they are in written down with ink and paper. And no Christian in their right mind would exalt other writings above the Scripture in their place.

An irrelevant question, for it is impossible to prove The Word of God wrong. Bible translations are a different matter, for they are only translations. But The Word of God exists outside the print itself, and will always exist forever even when printed paper is no more (Luke 21:33). The Word of God is written even in the stars (per Bullinger's documentation 'Witness To The Stars'). That's another reason why The Bible, The Word of God, is not comparable to man's literature. Truth cannot be proven to be un-truth.

God's Word is written about one family as they come in contact with all other families upon the earth. That family is the one which Jesus Christ would be born through. God chose that family to be servants in The Gospel for the benefit of all other families upon the earth.

As those who speak without real knowledge of The Truth according to The Word of God. If secular reasoning can make the Christian believer have doubt, then that Christian believer does not yet possess God's Truth according to His Word. And without It, both the doubter and the secularist fall into the ditch.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA

God ensured the message He wanted conveyed was conveyed. The writers were not stenographers nor were they under a puppet-like control. The writers, many of whom were eyewitnesses of the events they conveyed, were supernaturally ensured of getting the story Righteous.

Yes and no. Since they were uniquely instructed by Christ, Himself, they had the privilege of sitting at the Master's feet personally. But because of Inspiration, the teachings, stories, and commentary they made in the pages of the Bible guarantee we have the picture necessary to be quickened, nourished, and grow in Christ.

The Bible interprets itself, and it is fairly easy to recognize metaphor, allegory, symbolism, etc. And when there are portions that are in question the Bible will always have a passage or story elsewhere that sheds the proper light on a difficult or puzzling section.

Knowledge of our iniquity is revealed in the Bible as is the solution for our depravity. However, the Bible ultimately does not save, it is what the Bible points to, the Blood of Christ.

Yes, it's called bibliolotry.

After nearly 4,000 years of Old Testament and New Testament history the Bible has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt it is an anvil that wears out all hammers.

Both since it calls fallen humanity into brotherhood with and becoming joint heirs with Christ.

Usually with scorn and ridicule. The secular world has always proven to be wrong when it takes on Scripture. Again, the Bible is an anvil that has worn all hammers.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Biggandy and Veteran.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Aspen, in another thread you said the Bible is "man's interpretation" of God's word.

What do you mean by that?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, in another thread you said the Bible is "man's interpretation" of God's word.

What do you mean by that?

The Bible is the history of the relationship between humanity and God. It is God's inspired word, written from a human perspective. God used humans to speak human to humans.....so to speak. For example, if God sat down and wrote the book of Revelation it would be incomprehensible because we would have no reference for heavenly things. He used John of Patmos to convey His message - it is still difficult to understand, but at least it is written from a human point of view.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The message of the Bible is true. This is not the same as claiming the events in the Bible really happened or happened in the exact sequence they are portrayed or are free from human bias. The Bible is written by humans and therefore, from a human perspective.

I think everyone who has a direct experience with God can speak equally about His love, mercy, and desire to be in relationship with us.

God is always involved in the interpretation of scripture. I also think the language style of the specific stories in the Bible give us a fairly good understanding of which stories are literal and which are allegory. When the language is ambiguous I turn to Christians who have come before me to help me determine how to proceed my interpretation.

The same as Tradition and prayer - they point us to Christ. However, salvation does not rely directly on the written word, only the Word of God, Jesus.

Yes. It is called idolatry.

If the Bible is wrong about Jesus dying and His resurrection, I would be lost and probably become a Buddhist.

Both and it is written from a human perspective on God.

I consider it.