The Body

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The BEST thing about a few guys getting together, rather than going to "church", is that the FEW GUYS is what 1 Cor. 14:26 specifies as the CORRECT way to worship TOGETHER, versus a HIRELING, which Scripture does not endorse! :)

Bobby Jo
This is why I stopped going to Church, I’ve been to Catholic Churches and Presbyterian.

I almost jumped out of my chair the first time at a Presbyterian Church, people starting raising their arms up and shouting out, and even had a band on their stage, I didn’t like it at all, it didn’t feel right.

And one of the pastors looked like he was in it for the money.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we are looking at is ourselves, but how well can a person really see himself? Without a mirror much of our own carnal body of flesh cannot be seen by us. But, we are to look for and somehow eradicate flaws or as you put it 'wash away dirt'. It is a laver, a place where the priests were to wash their hands and their feet...

"For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat:" Ex 30:19

"And he made the laver of brass, and the foot of it of brass, of the lookingglasses of the women assembling, which assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation." Ex 38:8

The laver and the looking glasses are the scriptures or better said, The Word of God, if we are able to properly understand and apply it to ourselves. Looking only at the Bible a person alone cannot see the Word of God although many people say that they can. The ones able to see are still seeing at a level somewhat less well than "face to face".
Yes, I believe the mirrors were there to help everyone see himself.

The Scriptures may steer us, but as you say, they are not enough. The human mind also needs to be changed so we can see correctly. If we can't see ourselves correctly, is it safe to try to approach the holy? Is it even possible?

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It is possible to try to approach the holy with the wrong attitude as two sons of Aaron attempted. Too much effort along that line can be dangerous.

Reactions: amadeus

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dont be writing that in stone imo, "gathered" organically In Service might be better

There's a LOT of "barnyard" in this forum. Please don't add to it. :)

To All,
When Jesus entered the temple, he was handed the Book of Isaiah to read from. Have YOU ever been handed the Scripture to teach from the pulpit? Or have you just listened to some HIRELING week after week after week after week after week after week after week, ... well you get the idea.

TRUE FELLOWSHIP is when we gather together, and EACH PERSON brings a SONG, a DOCTRINE, a TONGUE, an INTERPRETATION, a PROPHECY. And if it comes in a Saturday coffee shop, or a chance meeting, or anywhere else, THAT'S TRUE FELLOWSHIP. But any religious "Service" is a hindrance to TRUE FELLOWSHIP. IMO. :)

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... And one of the pastors looked like he was in it for the money.

Yeah, -- I'd guess some 60-80% give or take. But it's our fault for being so lazy that we PAY a HIRELING to do what we should be doing. -- It's kind of like paying for a gym membership only to watch the "trainer" demonstrate how the equipment is used, and the walk out the door weaker than we went in.

But the good news is, -- Bible Prophecy will be fulfilled when we have the Great Falling Away! :)
Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re a strong guy Bobby Jo.

Actually, I have a Strong GOD, and HE call us to be STRONG! The kingdom of heaven is not going to come to us when we're watching Oprah while reclining on the sofa eating a bag of Lays® potato chips and drinking a Pepsi®. It takes a little more initiative:

Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things which you have not known.

Be encouraged, and be STRONG! :)
Bobby Jo

Reactions: JohnPaul

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I stopped going to Church, I’ve been to Catholic Churches and Presbyterian.

I almost jumped out of my chair the first time at a Presbyterian Church, people starting raising their arms up and shouting out, and even had a band on their stage, I didn’t like it at all, it didn’t feel right.

Sounds Pentecostal

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Last edited:

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds Pentecostal
No it was one of the Presbyterian Churches, they have different ones, I forget which one it was now, I then went to another Presbyterian one and it was more quiet, no band and no one shouting.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, -- I'd guess some 60-80% give or take. But it's our fault for being so lazy that we PAY a HIRELING to do what we should be doing. -- It's kind of like paying for a gym membership only to watch the "trainer" demonstrate how the equipment is used, and the walk out the door weaker than we went in.

But the good news is, -- Bible Prophecy will be fulfilled when we have the Great Falling Away! :)
Bobby Jo
They had, had some drawing or something, some kind of game or contest and the Pastor told the congregation how much money they had made, and he shouted out like he was at some auction or rally, "we want to give you more money!!!" and the congregation started cheering him and clapping and I'm gathering it's money the congregation gave the church.

So I'm guessing he wanted them to donate more money, I don't know, all I know is that I didn't like the guy, he wasn't genuine at all, and I think he picked up on that with me.

Reactions: Bobby Jo and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to attend at least seven services per weekend. I would go to the SDA service Saturday morning, then the local Catholic service as 4:30 followed by the PCA service at 6:00. Sunday morning I go to the Methodist service at 7:30 followed by the Baptist service, then another PCA service, and yet another Baptist church's service. Sometimes I alternate with the 1st Presbyterian service on Sunday morning as well as a Lutheran service or a couple other Methodist churches.

Everyone is always so friendly, and practically treat my like a celebrity, but this is probably due to the fact that I don't officially belong to any of these churches. I used to regularly attend bible studies at these churches as well, but they all teach doctrines that are ridiculous. After a few decades, I've heard it all before so I go solely for the fellowship and the entertainment value. it isn't really a matter of need though. It's something I enjoy doing, and I think that's where everyone else is as well.

@Jane_Doe22 does the same thing, visits all kinds of Church's. There is one reason that I continue to go to that building every Sunday morning and, that is because I now have my youngest sister and my older brother just now starting to come and I don't want to discourage them...they are also on milk yet. The pastors there are (IMO) very good as is the music, they write most of the songs. Fellow-shipping is tough there though, as most have other things to get to so, they are gone once the closing prayer is over. Too bad the Church's do not teach on the meat of the word more. I guess it's OUR job to treasure hunt ♥

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
those will only be churches to you as long as you define them as "church,"iow wadr the world's definition of church right
Ha - I used to do the same thing. Now I go to daily Mass and a Quaker Church on Sundays. I am looking for connection and the Quaker Church has become family. I am pretty connected with the prayer group at my Catholic Church, but Mass is impersonal.
funny how we try so hard to get better, when in a very real way we need to get worse lol. You are old enough to define "church" for yourself i guess

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They had, had some drawing or something, some kind of game or contest and the Pastor told the congregation how much money they had made, and he shouted out like he was at some auction or rally, "we want to give you more money!!!" and the congregation started cheering him and clapping and I'm gathering it's money the congregation gave the church.

So I'm guessing he wanted them to donate more money, I don't know, all I know is that I didn't like the guy, he wasn't genuine at all, and I think he picked up on that with me.

It's too bad he the ENTIRE CONGREGATION didn't convey what you perceived. And personally I don't care about money, but I do care about HIRELINGS who shear the sheep for their own personal gain as though they were ENTITLED. What a mess.

Bobby Jo

Reactions: Nancy

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... I guess it's OUR job to treasure hunt ♥
It's always been our job. We've just been lazy and we believed the cemeteries (sometimes spelled seminaries) who convinced us that a "pastor" needs to tell us what GOD has for each of us. And so we farmed out our responsibilities to a HIRELING.
It's like a gym where we can either exercise and build endurance, or watch the "trainer" demonstrate all the equipment and then go home weaker than when we walked in.

Rev. 13:10 Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
Rev. 14:12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

The good thing is that Bible Prophecy MUST be fulfilled, and so too the Great Falling Away. -- Actually it's pretty sad ...

Bobby Jo

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Acts 2.41-42 is a good guide for local church activities. Sometimes these are hard to find...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I think YOU need a mirror, -- and Jesus --, but let's start with Jesus. :)

Bobby Jo
well, you get to define church for yourself, bj, i dont mean to say jawin in a coffee shop is bad ok
but we seek to add to knowledge, to you here a little there a little is a good thing, yeh? This learning of some new thing? Which i guess it also can be, too...but you get to define church for yourself, bj, and you are also going to be defined by that, maybe i should say

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2.41-42 is a good guide for local church activities. Sometimes these are hard to find...

DISAGREE!

1 Cor. 14:26 is the model for church operation, and NOWHERE does it call for the congregation to be "lead" by any single man, -- who tells you what GOD expects of you, criticizes you when you don't perform as he expects, and directs you where he thinks you should be and what you should do.

Yep, I can't hear directly from GOD as Adam was called for. I need to have a "man" tell me, as Eve was relegated to. -- BECAUSE I'M OBVIOUSLY A WOMAN! NOT.

Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's always been our job. We've just been lazy and we believed the cemeteries (sometimes spelled seminaries) who convinced us that a "pastor" needs to tell us what GOD has for each of us. And so we farmed out our responsibilities to a HIRELING.
It's like a gym where we can either exercise and build endurance, or watch the "trainer" demonstrate all the equipment and then go home weaker than when we walked in.

Rev. 13:10 Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
Rev. 14:12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

The good thing is that Bible Prophecy MUST be fulfilled, and so too the Great Falling Away. -- Actually it's pretty sad ...

Bobby Jo

"It's like a gym where we can either exercise and build endurance, or watch the "trainer" demonstrate all the equipment and then go home weaker than when we walked in."

Pretty much...and yes, for sure, I can see how this is connected to the "great apostasy".
And, lazy is right!! I know many who never even crack open their bibles but just hang on every word that one man tells them week after week - dangerous. "Cemeteries" lol.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... here a little there a little is a good thing, yeh? ...
NO, "here a little, there a little" is a PUNISHMENT for not receiving IN FULL what GOD has for each of us. So if you want to be PUNISHED, then you're good to go. But for me, I'd like to receive the FULL MEASURE, PRESSED DOWN and SHAKEN. But that's me ...

Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"It's like a gym where we can either exercise and build endurance, or watch the "trainer" demonstrate all the equipment and then go home weaker than when we walked in."

Pretty much...and yes, for sure, I can see how this is connected to the "great apostasy".
And, lazy is right!! I know many who never even crack open their bibles but just hang on every word that one man tells them week after week - dangerous. "Cemeteries" lol.

You're smart AND funny!

Bobby Jo