The Book of Remembrance.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I agree. I see "the least" as needy and weak in Spirit but seeking God sincerely...maybe some very simple and trusting folk, who can be led astray easily?

...as in...even a cup of cold water!!!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
givers.giver and those who humle themselves.

This verse is about people who robbed God by not giving tithes and offerings. It also speaks against those who felt it was vain to serve God. After Malachi warned them they had a change of heart and their name was written in the book.

This is another possibility. To not tithe and teach others to not tithe as well.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think the "books" in Rev. are literal books.

Acts 2:42 – from the Church’s inception, apostolic tradition included celebrating the Eucharist (the “breaking of the bread”) to fulfill Jesus’ command “do this in remembrance of me.”

Luke 22:19, 1 Cor. 11:24-25 – Jesus commands the apostles to “do this,” that is, offer the Eucharistic sacrifice, in remembrance of Him.

Luke 22:19; 1 Cor. 11:24-25 – the translation of Jesus’ words of consecration is “touto poieite tan eman anamnasin.” Jesus literally said “offer this as my memorial sacrifice.” The word “poiein” (do) refers to offering a sacrifice (see, e.g., Exodus 29:38-39, where God uses the same word – poieseis – regarding the sacrifice of the lambs on the altar). The word “anamnesis” (remembrance) also refers to a sacrifice which is really or actually made present in time by the power of God, as it reminds God of the actual event (see, e.g., Heb. 10:3; Num. 10:10). It is not just a memorial of a past event, but a past event made present in time.

In other words, the “sacrifice” is the “memorial” or “reminder.” If the Eucharist weren’t a sacrifice, Luke would have used the word “mnemosunon” (which is the word used to describe a nonsacrificial memorial. See, for example, Matt. 26:13; Mark 14:9; and especially Acts 10:4). So there are two memorials, one sacrificial (which Jesus instituted), and one non-sacrificial.

Lev. 24:7 – the word “memorial” in Hebrew in the sacrificial sense is “azkarah” which means to actually make present (see Lev. 2:2,9,16;5:12;6:5; Num.5:26 where “azkarah” refers to sacrifices that are currently offered and thus present in time). Jesus’ instruction to offer the bread and wine (which He changed into His body and blood) as a “memorial offering” demonstrates that the offering of His body and blood is made present in time over and over again.

Num. 10:10 – in this verse, “remembrance” refers to a sacrifice, not just a symbolic memorial. So Jesus’ command to offer the memorial “in remembrance” of Him demonstrates that the memorial offering is indeed a sacrifice currently offered. It is a re-presentation of the actual sacrifice made present in time. It is as if the curtain of history is drawn and Calvary is made present to us.

Mal. 1:10-11 – Jesus’ command to his apostles to offer His memorial sacrifice of bread and wine which becomes His body and blood fulfills the prophecy that God would reject the Jewish sacrifices and receive a pure sacrifice offered in every place. This pure sacrifice of Christ is sacramentally re-presented from the rising of the sun to its setting in every place, as Malachi prophesied.

THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic

D

Dave L

This is from the Geneva Bible Notes:

o. After these admonitions of the Prophet some were lively touched, and incouraged others to feare God.
p. Bothe because the thing was strange, that some turned to God in that great and universal corruption, and also that this might be an example of Gods mercies to all penitent sinners.

Geneva Bible: Notes. (1560). (Vol. 1, p. 385). Geneva: Rovland Hall.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So then in which resurrection and judgment is the book of remembrance opened?

Is it at the Bema judgment which is the judgment of the house of God?

Or is it at the GWT judgment where all nations will be judged?
someone pls get their crystal ball out and make some prediction for Epi?
Jesus said if we get even the smallest thing wrong...we will be called least in the kingdom.
:rolleyes: horse puckey, that is not even close to what that is saying Epi, sorry

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
someone pls get their crystal ball out and make some prediction for Epi?

:rolleyes: horse puckey, that is not even close to what that is saying Epi, sorry

How is your day going besides this? :)

There is a certain amount of speculating going on here, admittedly. We see through a glass darkly, right? But we can get the gist of things.

So what is the book of Remembrance in your view?

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
How is your day going besides this? :)

There is a certain amount of speculating going on here, admittedly. We see through a glass darkly, right? But we can get the gist of things.

So what is the book of Remembrance in your view?
ah, busy Monday, heat finally broke ty God
and i would be looking for a spiritual analogue for that book rather than a literal book, and i am not sure about you pov on patriotism or nationalism but i would dissociate these most likely, whereas you might not, but i guess i can safely say that those in the book are not going the way of the rest of the nation?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ah, busy Monday, heat finally broke ty God
and i would be looking for a spiritual analogue for that book rather than a literal book, and i am not sure about you pov on patriotism or nationalism but i would dissociate these most likely, whereas you might not, but i guess i can safely say that those in the book are not going the way of the rest of the nation?

Let me know if you find anything.

Nationalism is a carnal consideration. We are to set our eyes on the things that are unseen. But to do that we would need spiritual faculties.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...as in...even a cup of cold water!!!
Hmm, not sure I follow you here Epi. Trying to connect the verse of giving a cup of cold water in is name to being meek
This is another possibility. To not tithe and teach others to not tithe as well.
Tithing is the law, not grace-Jesus says to give from the heart, gratefully. There is NOTHING about a 10% "tithe" for NT believers. It's a ploy to bring in more to the coffers. Do these churches not trust that God will keep the leaders and the building going as long as they are teaching rightly? When we freely give, without the guilt thrown at us if we don't at least give 10% God never wants us to give more than we can afford. And, He is not a slot machine so, for any who have pastors always talking about that Malachi verse or the one in Luke where it speaks about "shaken down, and pressed.." one verse is used to guilt people into giving more and the other, promises all these tings will be returned to you in great measure so, then they give to get and that is so wrong. IMO.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmm, not sure I follow you here Epi. Trying to connect the verse of giving a cup of cold water in is name to being meek

Tithing is the law, not grace-Jesus says to give from the heart, gratefully. There is NOTHING about a 10% "tithe" for NT believers. It's a ploy to bring in more to the coffers. Do these churches not trust that God will keep the leaders and the building going as long as they are teaching rightly? When we freely give, without the guilt thrown at us if we don't at least give 10% God never wants us to give more than we can afford. And, He is not a slot machine so, for any who have pastors always talking about that Malachi verse or the one in Luke where it speaks about "shaken down, and pressed.." one verse is used to guilt people into giving more and the other, promises all these tings will be returned to you in great measure so, then they give to get and that is so wrong. IMO.

Tithing is about giving...are we not commanded to give, and do so cheerfully? As in...freely you have received, freely give.

Also Jesus says...these things you should have done (tithing) but should also have done the weightier matters of the law...like mercy and humility...etc.

So Jesus gives us an idea of the major and minor points of the law.

BTW...we are to fulfill the law...but just by grace, not human effort.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I believe that the verse that states that a cup of cold water as in...

Mat. 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is My disciple, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.”

Does that not sound like "the least of these my brethren?"

Mat 25:40 And the King answering, will say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did it to Me.'

....35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the verse that states that a cup of cold water as in...

Mat. 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is My disciple, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.”

Does that not sound like "the least of these my brethren?"

Mat 25:40 And the King answering, will say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did it to Me.'

....35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;
Okay, I see your connection of the verses yes, i do believe that would be considered the least of the brethren. And, I guess we should never forget that we could also be entertaining angles unawares! ♥

Reactions: Acolyte

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing is about giving...are we not commanded to give, and do so cheerfully? As in...freely you have received, freely give.

Also Jesus says...these things you should have done (tithing) but should also have done the weightier matters of the law...like mercy and humility...etc.

So Jesus gives us an idea of the major and minor points of the law.

BTW...we are to fulfill the law...but just by grace, not human effort.
Well, maybe next week I'll bring a goat, and maybe some barley! There is no "tithe" for NT churches. We give cheerfully and what one can afford. And, Jesus was speaking to the pharisees who bragged on their giving-they were STILL under the law. And, I bet they were not wearing mixed materials clothing or eating shellfish either. From the heart or not at all. It is ALL Gods money anyway, and He does NOT need anything but faithfulness, love, joy and peace will be be blessed of Him, in any way that is needed...tangible, spiritual...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, maybe next week I'll bring a goat, and maybe some barley! There is no "tithe" for NT churches. We give cheerfully and what one can afford. And, Jesus was speaking to the pharisees who bragged on their giving-they were STILL under the law. And, I bet they were not wearing mixed materials clothing or eating shellfish either. From the heart or not at all. It is ALL Gods money anyway, and He does NOT need anything but faithfulness, love, joy and peace will be be blessed of Him, in any way that is needed...tangible, spiritual...

A tithe is a tenth of all you have. It is a standard of giving that takes giving seriously. (I remember the people putting quarters and dollar bills in the collection plate when I was young).

We are to give for good purpose. That is the "principle" of tithing. Some people give half of all they have...and some all (remember the widows 2 mites).

So God doesn't want to limit us to a tithe in the NT. He wants us to be creative. :)

We are to give extravagantly.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A tithe is a tenth of all you have. It is a standard of giving that takes giving seriously. (I remember the people putting quarters and dollar bills in the collection plate when I was young).

We are to give for good purpose. That is the "principle" of tithing. Some people give half of all they have...and some all (remember the widows 2 mites).

So God doesn't want to limit us to a tithe in the NT. He wants us to be creative. :)

We are to give extravagantly.
Yes, I do believe we are to give generously, it is just when one tries to tie down an OT Law and attribute it to Christians...(I know well what the word "Tithe" means and I still say we are NOT under it.) Christians then feel forced, and guilt ridden if they cannot make that 10%...The Tithe was never money anyhow. I prefer as does my church, to call it the Offering. Okay-so we don't agree on this. That's okay :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I do believe we are to give generously, it is just when one tries to tie down an OT Law and attribute it to Christians...(I know well what the word "Tithe" means and I still say we are NOT under it.) Christians then feel forced, and guilt ridden if they cannot make that 10%...The Tithe was never money anyhow. I prefer as does my church, to call it the Offering. Okay-so we don't agree on this. That's okay :)

For me it is a principle of giving. If we have faith...we will not calculate our own needs, since God is looking after us.

Let every person give as they have purposed in their hearts.

But we need to see the law as a guideline. Of course a person can get all legal about it if they want. I am not a legalist. But I measure the scale of things. I count the cost.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Let me know if you find anything.
i have found it, but i am just not interested in IDing it any more succinctly bc i want to remain open to better povs. If you want to determine there then bam determine.

It is hard to even make your statement pertinent as a reply to "those in the book are not going the way of the rest of the nation" wadr, maybe you could respond to that? i found that, iow

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i have found it, but i am just not interested in IDing it any more succinctly bc i want to remain open to better povs. If you want to determine there then bam determine

If you have a better pov...then please share it. i started this thread so that others could weigh in on this topic. You are one of those "others".