The Book of Remembrance.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is hard to even make your statement pertinent as a reply to "those in the book are not going the way of the rest of the nation" wadr, maybe you could respond to that? i found that, iow

Ok...now you just need some scriptural support.....something that says what you are thinking, but in the bible. :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Ok...now you just need some scriptural support.....something that says what you are thinking, but in the bible. :)

"those in the book (of remembrance) are not going the way of the rest of the nation"
13“You have spoken arrogantly against me,” says the Lord. “Yet you ask, ‘What have we said against you?’
14“You have said, ‘It is futile to serve God. What do we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty?
15But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it.’ ”
16Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name.
17“On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him.
18And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.

so i would say there in v16, @ "Then..?"

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
13“You have spoken arrogantly against me,” says the Lord. “Yet you ask, ‘What have we said against you?’
14“You have said, ‘It is futile to serve God. What do we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty?
15But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it.’ ”
16Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name.
17“On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him.
18And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.

so i would say there in v16, @ "Then..?"

Nothing here of nationalism...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Nothing here of nationalism...
and i am not sure about you pov on patriotism or nationalism
dress it how you like, Epi, there is obv a division there, i mean how would you define it? Who are the "you" in v 13?
That was Israel, is Israel, those who were in "the Promised Land" are doing that i guess right

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
dress it how you like, Epi, there is obv a division there, i mean how would you define it? Who are the "you" in v 13?
That was Israel, is Israel, those in "the Promised Land" are doing that i guess right

I'm attempting to show the division in this thread. The "you" is the charge against those who grieve the ones whom God will remember. These are grieved over the treatment of God and His will.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Let every person give as they have purposed in their hearts. " <---Fully agreed!

I hope you, Epi., are not a proponent of those who tell one to "give till it hurts". No cheerfulness in that.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Let every person give as they have purposed in their hearts. " <---Fully agreed!

I hope you, Epi., are not a proponent of those who tell one to "give till it hurts". No cheerfulness in that.
BTW- My personal belief is to also give above and beyond when you are able to! If He so deems fit to bless us financially, it is not for our own selfish gain but, to bless others with. ♥

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hurts what? ;) I think cheerfully says it all! :)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another:
.. and the LORD hearkened, and heard it,
.... and
a book of remembrance was written before Him
...... for them that feared the LORD,
........ and that thought upon His name.
"And they shall be mine," saith the LORD of hosts,
"in that day when I make up my jewels;
.. and I will spare them,
.... as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
Then shall ye return,
.. and discern between the righteous and the wicked,
.... between him that serveth God
...... and him that serveth Him not."'

(Mal 3:16-18)

Hello there,

The wording of the verses (above) from Malachi, tell us whose names will be written in the book of Remembrance. In contrasted with those who are the subjects elsewhere in the book of Malachi, which is written to Israel.

We read in Exodus 28:15-30 of the breastplate worn by the High Priest when he went in before the Lord: made to God's pattern and design; made out of woven fine twined linen, in gold, blue, purple and scarlet, folded in two to form a pocket, which was square, and a span in width and height; on it were placed in four rows, jewels set in gold enclosures.

The 1st - a sardius, a topaz and a carbuncle,
The 2nd - an emerald, a sapphire and a diamond.
The 3rd - a ligure, an agate, and an amethyst,
The 4th - a beryl, an onyx and a jasper.

On each stone was engraved, like a signet, THE NAME OF A TRIBE OF ISRAEL. So when the High Priest went unto the holy place, they were there upon his heart (v.29) before the Lord continually as a memorial before Him. The breastplate also contained the Urim and Thummim , and was used as a means whereby God made known His will, to the High Priest on Israel’s behalf

'For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto Himself,
and Israel for His peculiar treasure.'

(Psa 135:4)

'My Jewels' - His precious possession/a peculiar treasure.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
'Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another:
.. and the LORD hearkened, and heard it,
.... and
a book of remembrance was written before Him
...... for them that feared the LORD,
........ and that thought upon His name.
"And they shall be mine," saith the LORD of hosts,
"in that day when I make up my jewels;
.. and I will spare them,
.... as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
Then shall ye return,
.. and discern between the righteous and the wicked,
.... between him that serveth God
...... and him that serveth Him not."'

(Mal 3:16-18)

Hello there,

The wording of the verses (above) from Malachi, tell us whose names will be written in the book of Remembrance. In contrasted with those who are the subjects elsewhere in the book of Malachi, which is written to Israel.

We read in Exodus 28:15-30 of the breastplate worn by the High Priest when he went in before the Lord: made to God's pattern and design; made out of woven fine twined linen, in gold, blue, purple and scarlet, folded in two to form a pocket, which was square, and a span in width and height; on it were placed in four rows, jewels set in gold enclosures.

On each stone was engraved, like a signet, THE NAME OF A TRIBE OF ISRAEL. So when the High Priest went unto the holy place, they were there upon his heart (v.29) before the Lord continually as a memorial before Him. The breastplate also contained the Urim and Thummim , and was used as a means whereby God made known His will, to the High Priest on Israel’s behalf

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Great verses! I think in Malachi 3.16, it's the faithful remnant that is in view, isn't it?

Reactions: charity

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

'For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto Himself,
and Israel for His peculiar treasure.'

(Psa 135:4)

Great post!

Now we are moving forward....

We see that the book of remembrance is about God's "jewels". These correspond to the tribes of Israel.

The age old debate then is...do these correspond to the ancient tribes of Israel...before Christ came to the world.

Or...is it spiritual Israel, they who are grafted into the tribes by the Spirit?

Gold and silver are the saints...the new Jerusalem. These are great in the kingdom.

Precious stones, or jewels, are Israel as well.

The least of these....the least in the kingdom.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Great post!

Now we are moving forward....

We see that the book of remembrance is about God's "jewels". These correspond to the tribes of Israel.

The age old debate then is...do these correspond to the ancient tribes of Israel...before Christ came to the world.

Or...is it spiritual Israel, they who are grafted into the tribes by the Spirit?

Gold and silver are the saints...the new Jerusalem. These are great in the kingdom.

Precious stones, or jewels, are Israel as well.

The least of these....the least in the kingdom.

Hello @Episkopos,

When the names of the 12 tribes were instructed, by God, to be engraved on those precious stones and inserted into the breastplate of the High Priest there was no condition placed upon them, as to fitness or merit for being so designated. The words of Psalm 135:4, 'For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto Himself, and Israel for His peculiar treasure.' is also a statement of fact concerning the offspring of 'Jacob' (the name representing their earthly nature) and 'Israel' (meaning, God commands, orders or rules) which refers to them spiritually. Within the sphere of either name, it is the nation of Israel that is being referred to. No other nation. They are 'elect' and 'precious' to God.

Those who were representative of the nation, the believing remnant of the Acts period, are spoken of also as 'precious', by Peter in 1 Peter 2:9.10, they were a nucleus of what Israel will yet be, before God:- a firstfruit:-

But ye are a chosen generation,
.. a royal priesthood,
.... an holy nation,
...... a peculiar people;
that ye should shew forth the praises of Him
.. Who Hath called you
.... out of darkness into His marvellous light:
Which in time past were not a people,
.. but are now the people of God:
.... which had not obtained mercy,
...... but now have obtained mercy.'

* The nation of Israel is at present in a Lo-ammi condition,
'not My People', but they will yet be called, 'My People' once more: they will indeed obtain mercy, which is the testimony of God through such as Jeremiah, Hosea, Micah, and the other prophets, and echoed in Romans 11:26-27.

'And so all Israel shall be saved:
as it is written,

"There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is My covenant unto them,

when I shall take away their sins."'

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Episkopos,

When the names of the 12 tribes were instructed, by God, to be engraved on those precious stones and inserted into the breastplate of the High Priest there was no condition placed upon them, as to fitness or merit for being so designated. The words of Psalm 135:4, 'For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto Himself, and Israel for His peculiar treasure.' is also a statement of fact concerning the offspring of 'Jacob' (the name representing their earthly nature) and 'Israel' (meaning, God commands, orders or rules) which refers to them spiritually. Within the sphere of either name, it is the nation of Israel that is being referred to. No other nation. They are 'elect' and 'precious' to God.

Those who were representative of the nation, the believing remnant of the Acts period, are spoken of also as 'precious', by Peter in 1 Peter 2:9.10, they were a nucleus of what Israel will yet be, before God:- a firstfruit:-

But ye are a chosen generation,
.. a royal priesthood,
.... an holy nation,
...... a peculiar people;
that ye should shew forth the praises of Him
.. Who Hath called you
.... out of darkness into His marvellous light:
Which in time past were not a people,
.. but are now the people of God:
.... which had not obtained mercy,
...... but now have obtained mercy.'

* The nation of Israel is at present in a Lo-ammi condition,
'not My People', but they will yet be called, 'My People' once more: they will indeed obtain mercy, which is the testimony of God through such as Jeremiah, Hosea, Micah, and the other prophets, and echoed in Romans 11:26-27.

'And so all Israel shall be saved:
as it is written,

"There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer,
and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is My covenant unto them,

when I shall take away their sins."'

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Another excellent post! :)

We are talking here of Ephraim...the house of Israel that was sifted through all nations.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Episkopos,

I was referring to the twelve tribes of Israel, for North and South will again be one nation before God ( See Ezekiel 37:15-28). See also Heb. 8:8-13:-

'For finding fault with them, He saith,
.. "Behold, the days come," saith the Lord,
.... "when I will make a new covenant
...... with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers
.. in the day when I took them by the hand
.... to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
...... because they continued not in my covenant,
........ and I regarded them not," saith the Lord.
"For this is the covenant that I will make
.. with the house of Israel after those days," saith the Lord;
.... "I will put my laws into their mind,

...... and write them in their hearts:
........ and I will be to them a God,
.......... and they shall be to me a people:
And they shall not teach every man his neighbour,
.. and every man his brother, saying,
.... 'Know the Lord:' for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest.
...... For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness,
........ and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more."
In that He saith, A new covenant, He hath made the first old.
Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.'

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Episkopos,

I was referring to the twelve tribes of Israel, for North and South will again be one nation before God. See Ezekiel 37:15-28.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Amen...but your reference was for Ephraim...and the Gentiles becoming a people that were not a people.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen...but your reference was for Ephraim...and the Gentiles becoming a people that were not a people.

Hello again, @Episkopos

No, the nation of Israel became Lo-ammi, 'not my People', when they failed to acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah, both in the land and in the diaspora. At Acts 28 they went away into blindness (temporarily), and salvation was sent to the Gentiles, for they would hear it.

The reference from 1 Peter 2:9,10, was not referring to the Gentiles becoming a people that were not a people, but was addressed to the believing remnant of Israel. Who were representative of the nation who would yet be redeemed and once more become, 'my People'. (see Hosea 2:14-23) God says concerning Israel:-

'And I will sow her unto me in the earth;
and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy;
and I will say to them which were not my people,
"Thou art my people"; and they shall say, "Thou art my God."'

(Hos 2:23)

* Compare the wording of 1 Pet. 2:9,10, which obviously gives reference to Hosea 2:23.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello again, @Episkopos

No, the nation of Israel became Lo-ammi, 'not my People', when they failed to acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah, both in the land and in the diaspora. At Acts 28 they went away into blindness (temporarily), and salvation was sent to the Gentiles, for they would hear it.

The reference from Peter, was not referring to the Gentiles becoming a people that were not a people, but was addressed to the believing remnant of Israel.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

That is a private interpretation that goes against the biblical text. Paul explains Lo-Ammi as the Gentiles.

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Beware of the doctrines of men like dispensationalism.

God is giving all people the same chance...not based on ethnicity. It is a new way where all men are seen the same...whether Jew or Gentile. male or female, slave or free.

It is a new way in the Spirit.