The Bride, Symbol.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bride Purpose.

In other words, God`s purpose for `the Bride.`
Now God uses the symbol of the bride for two purposes - one for Israel and the other for the New Jerusalem.

1. Israel. The relationship here is as a husband, (master) and wife.

`For your Maker is your husband.` (Isa. 54: 5)
`I was a husband to them..` (Jer. 31: 32)

`Like a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a youthful wife when you were refused...` (Isa. 54: 6)

`I have put her away and given her a certificate of divorce;..` (Jer. 3: 8)

"Return, O backsliding children," says the Lord, "for I am married to you." (Jer. 3: 14)

`Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His wife has made herself ready.` (Rev. 19: 7)

`I will betroth you to me for ever; yes, I will betroth you to me in righteousness and justice, in loving-kindness and mercy; I will betroth you to me in faithfulness, and you shall know the Lord.` (Hosea 2: 19 & 20)

So we see that God has this relationship with the children of Israel as a `husband` their master, (Heb.). They rebel and thus are `divorced,` however God, through Jesus connects with them again and they are His people, His nation. that union is expressed as a `marriage.` However they are only symbols of the purpose of God reuniting with Israel.

Reactions: marks

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2. The New Jerusalem.

`And I saw the new heavens and new earth, for the first heaven and first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city coming down out of heaven from God, prepared AS A bride adorned for her husband.` (Rev. 21: 1 & 2)

Here we read of the heavenly city in the new heavens and new earth time. It comes down out of heaven from God and looks like a bride because of its glory. This has a couple of meanings. The beauty and purity we see as a bride, because of the Lord`s glory revealed through it.

`And the city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it, and the Lamb is its light.` (Rev. 21: 23)

The other aspect of the Bride symbol of the New Jerusalem refers to its `purpose.` This city which was made in heaven -

`You have come to Mount Zion to the city the heavenly Jerusalem...to God,....to Jesus...`(Heb. 12: 22 - 24)

has now come down near the earth, so it has the spiritual aspect to it.

`the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...` (Rev. 21: 2)

Then we read of the kings of the earth being able to go up to it.

`...and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honour into it.` (Rev. 21: 24)

Thus there will be a physical, natural aspect to this glorious city. So we begin to realise that the Bride Purpose is an interconnecting of the spiritual realm and the physical realm with mankind on earth. God truly is `Tabernacling` with His people through the OT saints in the city.

Then above all that is Christ own throne with His Body that rules over all. Every realm has rulership and each have been prepared by the Lord. And every realm is under His rulership, and in harmony, and ruled righteously.

Reactions: marks

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bride Purpose.

In other words, God`s purpose for `the Bride.`
Now God uses the symbol of the bride for two purposes - one for Israel and the other for the New Jerusalem.

1. Israel. The relationship here is as a husband, (master) and wife.

`For your Maker is your husband.` (Isa. 54: 5)
`I was a husband to them..` (Jer. 31: 32)

`Like a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a youthful wife when you were refused...` (Isa. 54: 6)

`I have put her away and given her a certificate of divorce;..` (Jer. 3: 8)

"Return, O backsliding children," says the Lord, "for I am married to you." (Jer. 3: 14)

`Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His wife has made herself ready.` (Rev. 19: 7)

`I will betroth you to me for ever; yes, I will betroth you to me in righteousness and justice, in loving-kindness and mercy; I will betroth you to me in faithfulness, and you shall know the Lord.` (Hosea 2: 19 & 20)

So we see that God has this relationship with the children of Israel as a `husband` their master, (Heb.). They rebel and thus are `divorced,` however God, through Jesus connects with them again and they are His people, His nation. that union is expressed as a `marriage.` However they are only symbols of the purpose of God reuniting with Israel.

But not just to the seed of Israel, but also to the seed of believing Gentiles along with believing Israel.

The Book of Hosea was written specifically to the "house of Israel" at a time after the split of 1 Kings 11, and just prior to their northern kingdom ending. God pointing to their redemption per Hosea, Apostle Paul quoted to Gentile Roman believers on Christ in Romans 9. And the majority of the "house of Israel" (ten tribes) were scattered among the Gentiles like God had forewarned.

So let's not try to point strictly to the seed of Israel in this only, because it's actually about Christ's Church in final.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But not just to the seed of Israel, but also to the seed of believing Gentiles along with believing Israel.

The Book of Hosea was written specifically to the "house of Israel" at a time after the split of 1 Kings 11, and just prior to their northern kingdom ending. God pointing to their redemption per Hosea, Apostle Paul quoted to Gentile Roman believers on Christ in Romans 9. And the majority of the "house of Israel" (ten tribes) were scattered among the Gentiles like God had forewarned.

So let's not try to point strictly to the seed of Israel in this only, because it's actually about Christ's Church in final.

Hi Davy,

Thank you for responding. Now can you give some scriptures to back up your comments?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It comes down out of heaven from God and looks like a bride because of its glory.
You are studiously avoiding the spiritual truth that the Body of Christ is ALSO the Bride of Christ. And the eternal home of the saints is the New Jerusalem. which appears AS A bride because it resembles the true Bride which lives within. "As a" means in the likeness of, not necessarily the reality.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are studiously avoiding the spiritual truth that the Body of Christ is ALSO the Bride of Christ. And the eternal home of the saints is the New Jerusalem. which appears AS A bride because it resembles the true Bride which lives within. "As a" means in the likeness of, not necessarily the reality.

And scriptures for that?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And scriptures for that?
JOHN 3: CHRIST IS IDENTIFIED AS THE BRIDEGROOM
28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29 He that hath the Bride is the Bridegroom: but the friend of the Bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

THE CHURCH IS ESPOUSED TO CHRIST AS A CHASTE VIRGIN BRIDE
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (2 Cor 11:2)

EPH 5:THE CHURCH IS "THE WIFE" OF CHRIST AS WELL AS THE BODY
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the Head of the Church: and He is the Saviour of the Body. 24 Therefore as the Church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

REV 19: THE SAINTS ARE IDENTIFIED AS THE LAMB'S WIFE
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

REV 22: THE BRIDE IS THE CHURCH CHARGED WITH PROPAGATING THE GOSPEL
17 And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
JOHN 3: CHRIST IS IDENTIFIED AS THE BRIDEGROOM
28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29 He that hath the Bride is the Bridegroom: but the friend of the Bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

THE CHURCH IS ESPOUSED TO CHRIST AS A CHASTE VIRGIN BRIDE
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (2 Cor 11:2)

EPH 5:THE CHURCH IS "THE WIFE" OF CHRIST AS WELL AS THE BODY
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the Head of the Church: and He is the Saviour of the Body. 24 Therefore as the Church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

REV 19: THE SAINTS ARE IDENTIFIED AS THE LAMB'S WIFE
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

REV 22: THE BRIDE IS THE CHURCH CHARGED WITH PROPAGATING THE GOSPEL
17 And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Hi Enoch,

Thank you for those scriptures. So, can we look at them more closely.

1. John 3: 28 & 29. Jesus is identified as the bridegroom. (as you so rightly said) Now we know that Jesus came to His own, Israel. They are identified as the bride, the wife. The Body of Christ was not revealed then and had not even begun.

2. 2 Cor.11: 2. Paul is telling his disciples that he desires to present them pure to the Lord. Paul does NOT present US to the Lord, for it is the Lord Himself who will present us. (Jude 24)

3. Eph. 5: 23 - 27. Here Paul is exhorting the husbands to love their wives as Christ does HIS BODY. It is NOT doctrinal but an exhortation. Paul has just spent 4 chapters on doctrine, revealing that the Body of Christ is the NEW MAN. (Eph. 2: 15)

4. Rev. 19: 7 - 9. Here we see that the wife has made herself ready for the Lamb. Israel is the one referred to as the wife. (Isa. 54: 1 - 8)

5. Rev. 22: 17. The Bride refers back to Rev. 21: 2 revealing the city, the new Jerusalem, which is the inheritance of the OT saints. (Heb. 11: 16, Rev. 21: 12)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2. The New Jerusalem.

`And I saw the new heavens and new earth, for the first heaven and first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city coming down out of heaven from God, prepared AS A bride adorned for her husband.` (Rev. 21: 1 & 2)

Here we read of the heavenly city in the new heavens and new earth time. It comes down out of heaven from God and looks like a bride because of its glory. This has a couple of meanings. The beauty and purity we see as a bride, because of the Lord`s glory revealed through it.

`And the city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it, and the Lamb is its light.` (Rev. 21: 23)

The other aspect of the Bride symbol of the New Jerusalem refers to its `purpose.` This city which was made in heaven -

`You have come to Mount Zion to the city the heavenly Jerusalem...to God,....to Jesus...`(Heb. 12: 22 - 24)

has now come down near the earth, so it has the spiritual aspect to it.

`the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God...` (Rev. 21: 2)

Then we read of the kings of the earth being able to go up to it.

`...and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honour into it.` (Rev. 21: 24)

Thus there will be a physical, natural aspect to this glorious city. So we begin to realise that the Bride Purpose is an interconnecting of the spiritual realm and the physical realm with mankind on earth. God truly is `Tabernacling` with His people through the OT saints in the city.

Then above all that is Christ own throne with His Body that rules over all. Every realm has rulership and each have been prepared by the Lord. And every realm is under His rulership, and in harmony, and ruled righteously.

the kingdom and new Jerusalem came 2000 yrs ago

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
`Be diligent to present yourself approved of God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.` (2 Tim. 2: 15)

I prefer later Bible versions that do not use Wescott & Hort's 1880'a corrupted New Testament Greek text. I prefer the KJV...

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

KJV